Register Register

Author Topic: C3 Spotting, Double-Blind, and You?  (Read 720 times)

Charistoph

• Captain
C3 Spotting, Double-Blind, and You?
« on: 09 November 2022, 18:39:56 »
Okay, a question came up in GenDisc about C3 spotting still working if the spotter doesn't have LOS to the target in a Double-Blind scenario.

Tactical Operations Double-Blind rules do not seem to care about this, as its primary concern is spotting the unit.  Under standard C3 rules, the shooter MUST have LOS to the unit being targeted, so this technically isn't a concern.

BUT, I'd like to propose a variant.  In Double-Blind rules, a spotter must spot the target in order to provide C3 support.  This can be a Visual Spotting or a Sensor Spotting.  The Sensor Spotting will still allow to spot without LOS as normal TW, but still have the requirements that Double-Blind usually requires.

Thoughts on this as a work around till we get an official answer?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

garhkal

• Major
Re: C3 Spotting, Double-Blind, and You?
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2022, 01:41:20 »
Since i've never used double blind rules, but have read them here, many a time, that to me seems a simple solution..  Though for the 'visual' spotting, How close does one have to be?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2022, 08:45:15 »
One fun set of thoughts for C3 & ECM in double-blind:
1) If your unit has ECM on, it is revealed to all parties
2) If your unit's C3 is on, it is revealed to all parties
3) if your unit  fires weapons, it is revealed to all parties

So you will have both sides carefully deciding if they want to have their ECM or C3 on, and knowing that their opponent is making the same set of choices.  If you see an opponent and thy can see you, then you might as well turn on your ECM and C3.  If you are in cover you might turn on your ECM to help an ally that is nearby, but you your opponent now knows where you are and will be moving units to shoot at you.  Unless you are using that as part of your plan by mounting the ECM on a fast light unit and will be getting it out of range?

Similarly you can have one unit opening fire because they snuck up behind an opponent, but their weapons fire means everyone now knows what hex the shooter is in.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2022, 18:03:40 »
Since i've never used double blind rules, but have read them here, many a time, that to me seems a simple solution..  Though for the 'visual' spotting, How close does one have to be?

I haven't actually used them, either, mostly because it would require 2 more people to do it, and my play time is already dedicated and tight.

But from my quick perusal, visual spotting is dependent on the environment and unit type.  Infantry in Pitch Black having the hardest time seeing anything, with Aerospace at Altitude in Daylight (no other conditions) having the easiest.

One fun set of thoughts for C3 & ECM in double-blind:
1) If your unit has ECM on, it is revealed to all parties
2) If your unit's C3 is on, it is revealed to all parties
3) if your unit  fires weapons, it is revealed to all parties

So you will have both sides carefully deciding if they want to have their ECM or C3 on, and knowing that their opponent is making the same set of choices.  If you see an opponent and thy can see you, then you might as well turn on your ECM and C3.  If you are in cover you might turn on your ECM to help an ally that is nearby, but you your opponent now knows where you are and will be moving units to shoot at you.  Unless you are using that as part of your plan by mounting the ECM on a fast light unit and will be getting it out of range?

Similarly you can have one unit opening fire because they snuck up behind an opponent, but their weapons fire means everyone now knows what hex the shooter is in.

An interesting idea, however, a little off topic and I rather disagree.  Sensors need set to look for C3 in order to notice it.

ECM would be noticeable, but it wouldn't pinpoint your exact location.  That would defeat the point of ECM.

Weapon's fire would attract audibly, and MIGHT attract visibly.  Not all weapons will attract sensors, though.  Radar doesn't notice AC or Gauss rounds very effectively.  PPC fire, though...  Maybe?  However it would have to be calibrated so it wouldn't get confused by a thunderstorm and generate false hits.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Register