Register Register

Author Topic: Concept: Compact Double Heat Sinks  (Read 592 times)

Izzy193

• Corporal
Concept: Compact Double Heat Sinks
« on: 26 December 2021, 14:15:13 »
Concept is simple, 50% more weight for the ability to put two DHS into a single DHS slot space. while this would be IS only, I could see the clans experimenting with it at some point. though the question would be "Why?" when CDHS can do a similar thing but without the weight penalty. Well I thought that maybe Clan DHS might get too exspensive for some nations, so using a domestic alternative would look more appealing.

I was thinking two DHS for three slots per every 1.5 tons. that way normal DHS still stay relevant but this could fill a niche in for exampler periphery designs.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2021, 14:17:31 by Izzy193 »

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Concept: Compact Double Heat Sinks
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2021, 20:20:59 »
If I am reading the description correctly, it looks like one of these is statted as follows:
Heat: -4
Weight: 1.5 tons
Crits: 3

Compared to existing ISDHS:
Heat: -2
Weight: 1 tons

And vs two Clan DHS:
Weight: 2 tons
Crits: 4

This is a major boost in capability and except for the fact that it can't fit in a Mech's legs, is better than Clan DHS.

For  Periphery heat management tech, I'd suggest just loading the Mech with a giant tank of water and treating that as a Heat Sump.  All heat goes into the Sump first, then into the Heat Scale.  Heat Sinks take heat from the Heat Scale first, then from the Sump.  Gives a reason for Mechs to have an Alpha Strike capability, is relatively low-tech, is less effective than extra Heat Sinks, and can boil water for a pot of coffee.

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2021, 21:24:06 »
I believe it's meant to look more like this:

2x Compact Double Heat Sinks
Weight: 3 tons

2x IS DHS
Crits: 6

2x Clan DHS
Crits: 4
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2021, 16:58:37 »
I prefer my half-measure: half a ton, two crits, one heat (link in my sig block)...  ^-^

Register