Register Register

Author Topic: Endo-Steel and equipment construction.  (Read 582 times)

Izzy193

• Sergeant
Endo-Steel and equipment construction.
« on: 24 November 2022, 13:29:46 »
Right this is more a curiousity, but what if the IS and Clans begun using endo steel more and more in lightening equipment like the Clans did with thier version of rotary autocannon. I cam curious if we could incorporate Endo-steel into more IS or Clan Equipment(Assuming the latter doesn't already do this). sure equipment made with Endo-steel is going to be bulkier than one without and more exspensive than tech made without it. but the reduced weight could be used for more firepower,more mobility or more armor on a unit.

So I wonder why Endo steel is not more commonly used in construction of weapons and equipment. What would be the pros and cons of incpororating endo-steel into weapons and equipment construction? would it be worth it even in a limite production capacity?

AlphaMirage

• Captain
Re: Endo-Steel and equipment construction.
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2022, 13:41:20 »
Endo-Steel is regularly fluffed as a unique crystalline construct that must be made in Zero-G and takes up more volume. It might be that this metal has poor ballistic properties (maybe it wears harder) although I would say that the Light and Proto autocannons might incorporate some an both have reduced range and weight. There is also the volume increase which could be detrimental to widespread adapation.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2022, 14:30:52 »
I think AlphaMirage has it right.  Endo-Steel's "secret sauce" was zero-G production.  LB-X ACs also theoretically incorpated some of this...

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2022, 20:33:41 »
I think AlphaMirage has it right.  Endo-Steel's "secret sauce" was zero-G production.  LB-X ACs also theoretically incorpated some of this...

Sounds like Cannonshop's Belters would use it nearly everywhere.

Victor S-D: "Endo-Steel can only be made in Zero-G"
Elizabeth: (glances at the Belter representative) "How many megatons do you want to buy?"

Izzy193

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2022, 07:19:44 »
Thank you guys for your replis thus far, I wanted to discuss this a part of some research for my deep peripthery nation. because I was considering them using endo-steel in thier equipment and weapon construction to make them somewhat unique. so thier equipment would be overall bulkier and lighter than typical IS counterparts.

Sounds like Cannonshop's Belters would use it nearly everywhere.

Victor S-D: "Endo-Steel can only be made in Zero-G"
Elizabeth: (glances at the Belter representative) "How many megatons do you want to buy?"

I can see the Belters using this widespread. you've got a point there.

well in the context of the IS UAC/5 and LB-X 10 AC I can see this theoretically being a good reason for thier unusual tonnages in comparison to other classes of thier type.

Endo-Steel is regularly fluffed as a unique crystalline construct that must be made in Zero-G and takes up more volume. It might be that this metal has poor ballistic properties (maybe it wears harder) although I would say that the Light and Proto autocannons might incorporate some an both have reduced range and weight. There is also the volume increase which could be detrimental to widespread adapation.

I can see that being only made in zero-G as a good reason not to use it in weapon and equipment. the increased bulk might not too much of a detterment, but it's the time and money consumed in making endo-steel that's the main problem. I don't think ware and tear is as a major issue for endo-steel as one mgiht think. Otherwise it wouldn't have been used in mechs.

VanVelding

• Master Sergeant