Register Register

Author Topic: Equipment concept: Cerberus CEWS  (Read 523 times)

Izzy193

• Corporal
Equipment concept: Cerberus CEWS
« on: 18 May 2022, 07:59:04 »
The Inner sphere attempt to merge both GECM and BAP. the Result if a peice of equipment that is as heavy and bulky as both of them combined, as well as being x2 more exspensive then the technologies it's based on. The Resulting tech has the following stats. Initially developed by the Capellan Confederation in 3068, it eventually spread to the other great houses over the course of the Jihad era. Served as basis for Inner Sphere Clan's version of the Watchdog CEWS.

Weight: 3 tons
Crits:4
Range:6 hexs
Cost: 400,000 Cbills
BV(2.0): ????

AlphaMirage

• Captain
Re: Equipment concept: Cerberus CEWS
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2022, 08:26:19 »
It's not a bad design particularly since the watchdog has only half the range of both combined while this has full range. I'd say make it 3 crits (shared power supply) and it would be great

Izzy193

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2022, 08:50:44 »
Something like this?

Wieght:3 tons
Crits: 3
Range6 Hexs
Cost: 400,000
BV(2.0):71

with the BV2 I took the GECM and BAP values and added them together.

Hazard Pay

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2022, 08:52:22 »
Looks good to me. I may have to work a design with it in.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2022, 06:54:41 »
I put together a more complex proposal in this vein years ago: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-designs-rules/combined-electronics-systems/msg1364384/#msg1364384

If you're doing something like this, I think it needs to be smaller/lighter than the original systems. (Otherwise, why would you accept the awkward size that doesn't fit in CT or legs, and having them both break on a single crit?) But I do love the concept.

Speedbump

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2022, 13:43:17 »
As written this system does have a second advantage over a BAP + GECM combo. Specifically, it increases the Active Probe range from 4 to 6 to match the ECM system. I definitely think thats worthwhile, but if you're paying attention to BV while using this I'd suggest you tweak the value up a tad. Currently it looks like this:
Clan Light AP - Range 3, BV 7
Beagle AP - Range 4, BV 10
Clan AP - Range 5, BV 12
Bloodhound AP - Range 8, BV 25 (Ignores ECM)

So ballparking a range 6 AP at BV 14/15 I'd increase this to BV 75/76.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2022, 17:54:36 »
Honestly thought this was a joke suggestion to criticize the Watchdog CEWs based off the start of the description:
The Inner sphere attempt to merge both GECM and BAP. the Result if a peice of equipment that is as heavy and bulky as both of them combined, as well as being x2 more exspensive then the technologies it's based on
Yeah, it's basically an Inner Sphere Watchdog.  That is, it accomplishes nothing other than being less flexible, more vulnerable, and more expensive than a pair of the original discrete electronics, and thus serves no purpose.

(Although according to Speedbump, the probe range might actually increase due to the wording, in which case this thing would actually have a minor advantage to justify its existence, unlike the Watchdog.)

Izzy193

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2022, 07:48:52 »
Honestly thought this was a joke suggestion to criticize the Watchdog CEWs based off the start of the description:Yeah, it's basically an Inner Sphere Watchdog.  That is, it accomplishes nothing other than being less flexible, more vulnerable, and more expensive than a pair of the original discrete electronics, and thus serves no purpose.

(Although according to Speedbump, the probe range might actually increase due to the wording, in which case this thing would actually have a minor advantage to justify its existence, unlike the Watchdog.)

Originally this started a abit of Joke tech, but as I developed the idea further it turned into an actual peice of IS equipment. though I did tweak the crits and BV as per suggestions.

Cerberus CEWS
Wieght:3 tons
Crits: 2
Range6 Hexs
Cost: 400,000
BV(2.0):76