Register Register

Author Topic: Getting better at this - TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits  (Read 2372 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Getting better at this - TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits
« on: 08 December 2022, 01:47:04 »
So, started doodling with the idea for a cover for a 1-month limited TRO project after finishing a writing project.  Actually came pretty easy, got it figured out in a couple hours.

Opinions?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Getting better at this - TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2022, 05:39:15 »
Looks nice and brutal, but I'd want the text explaining the book to be a bit bigger

Maybe have the text across the top 1/4 of the image saying "TRO 3176: Hegemony Refits", with the bottom 3/4 being the graphic?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2022, 07:20:11 »
What do you think of larger text?  I'm going to try putting the image behind the text box, but need to fiddle first.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2022, 07:58:22 »
I think you need to make the font bigger. It's too small. What you could do is perhaps copy and paste parts of things to go on the side like a traditional tro.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2022, 18:34:15 »
Hmmmm.  Maybe.  I promised myself not to take longer than a month on this.  No new tech not mentioned in the story, refits only (Broke that one.  Although they can buy the designs for later production), etc.  I still have to write the Epilogue where they actually use these, anyway, and I accidently deleted the 'Justice arc' so this is it for another couple weeks.

TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits Working Page

1.   Cover
2.   Rear
3.   Gray logo
4.   Legal, How to Use, Thanks, Why
5.   T of C
6.   BA Intro, (Unknown BA *NEW*)
7.   Drone Intro, Caltrop (Structure, 1 MP, Drone), Unknown Drone (fast wheeled tow – Civet?)
8.   Vehicle Intro, Hunter (A4)
9.   Cucurum (ATC trying to make profit), APC (Unknown)
10.   Stygian (ATC spinoff bought from Hadrian), Fulcrum (III?)
11.   L-PPC/Cap Carrier (Techwizards), Galleon(?)
12.   ‘Mech Intro, Vulcan (MA)
13.   Whitworth (Techwizards), Guillotine (?)
14.   Rampage (Upgraded/refit) (SA Mechworks) (New Planet), Ymir (Update – ‘Mortis’) (ATC)
15.   Mauler (LgL) (?), Marauder II (Replaced RL variant) (Techwizards)
16.   AS Intro, SC (LC-D) (ATC Spinoff)
17.   Nike (P) (ATC), ASF (Periphery General) (Hadrian)
18.   ASF (PG) (Hadrian), ASF (PG) (Hadrian)
19.   Monitor (Assault DS – Piranha/SCl-1/SCA similar to Drakensis Piranha launching drone) (Hadrian)
20.   Ballista (A4 launching space station) (Drone)
21.   New Tech; A4 Anti-Jump Sail (AJA) Munition, RL(S)

APC-20
Cucurum-30
Galleon-30
Hunter (A4)-35
Stygian-40
Fulcrum-50
L-PPC Carrier-50?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2023, 01:24:30 »
Given myself just short of a month - Jan 31, 2023 - to have something ready.

Goofing around, getting stuff done - here's a screenshot.  Current plan is, one column for old design, one of image/text, one for new design.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2023, 01:39:23 »
Oh, and a changed toc.  Got a little off base, these are REFITS.  Um, have to take the case off the units, they're not able to just be added later after all.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2023, 02:02:13 »
...And, because I'm excited to go back to work tomorrow and can't sleep - another.  Excuse the returns and gridlines, it makes it easier to see what the finished product will resemble.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2023, 02:04:12 by Red Pins »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2023, 17:03:18 »
I think I like format with Scorpion Tank was better for the Combat Vehicles.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2023, 19:02:41 »
Yeah, I really wanted to do two/page be wise it cut down the space for text, but I think the Drone/BA/Vehicle/BM/ASF, into might go to their own page, and just increase their of the font to fill the individual entries.  I'm busy doing page corners, text boxes, etc. So I have a bit of time to fiddle with it yet.

I'll probably do a test tonight - I want to limit fluff for about 100-250 words, and 300.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2023, 00:50:19 »
Huh.  No...  I have problems with doing this half-assed; I don't like the TRO data table gave me, it's too much fluff to write 6-700 words in the traditional headings, and a small part of this was to experiment so blindly copying Canon products is not on.

I'll fiddle another day or two, then settle on format and be done.  After that, each page will be about 15 minutes to do including corner accents, and I'll hang out 100-150 words explaining why and be done.  Some will be set up as single pages; the Drone sat, BA, SC, Nike Primitive ASF, PB.  One may have 3; the random Periphery General ASF about to be produced in the story.  Then a blurb about the RL(S) and new Arrow-4 munition.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2023, 23:51:09 »
Gave up and used the same format of another project.  Normally, I'd post these over at the ourbattletech forums, but its down.  Any opinions?

David CGB

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2023, 00:04:16 »
Nice clean design, very easy to read
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2023, 00:57:49 »
Good to hear, thanks.

And the Scorpion, since I didn't feel like getting a good night's sleep again.  Seems I found a bug in MML.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 12 January 2023, 00:16:19 »
Gosh, I need a life.  :(

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 12 January 2023, 07:12:17 »
Two per page?  Is that readable?  No offense, I know your working super hard on this. 

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2023, 16:48:40 »
Two per page?  Is that readable?  No offense, I know your working super hard on this. 

..not really? ;D

So far, I've been cheating and using the layout from another project - in pdf, 8-pt fon't is readable at one page/screen (IIRC).  And you can always just increase magnification.

If ourbattletech was up, I'd show you the other project, but you don't have the option of attachments on PMs.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2023, 17:00:59 »
..not really? ;D

So far, I've been cheating and using the layout from another project - in pdf, 8-pt fon't is readable at one page/screen (IIRC).  And you can always just increase magnification.

If ourbattletech was up, I'd show you the other project, but you don't have the option of attachments on PMs.
Unfortunately, no one is responding who's part their team on OurBattleTech.com

You could try SpaceBattles.com  but I'm not in love how their forums are setup.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 12 January 2023, 21:43:26 »
It's been at least a week or two.  I guess I'll post a vehicle page; it's the template I'm using.  Has to wait a while, kids are still screwing around.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2023, 22:19:26 »
Here, this from the Blake Threat File set in an AU called the New Clans.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 13 January 2023, 00:16:57 »
And the last armored vehicles.  'Mechs are next, they'll use the same format, but go on for two pages, with another photo at the bottom.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 13 January 2023, 07:22:07 »
Are you using a spread sheet to make the formating?  I've not seen how TROs are done by fans before.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 13 January 2023, 17:45:23 »
Word!

I tried graphics programs like Gimp, was told to buy Indesign (sp?  Couldn't afford it.) but I cry when somebody draws a straight line; it was beyond me.  I had no time to learn how to use it.

The big thing has always been the cover; I've never been able to make one.  Finally, after a lot of fiddling and internet searches, I made my first cover for the project I'm supposed to be working on right now.  But, the fan wiki picked up the story, and I decided to do like Drakensis and put out a TRO of designs as a separate project.  At this rate, I figure I'll meet my Jan 31 deadline!

The pic is too big to attach - which is weird - but, I did decide to do a couple more vehicles... one will work, one doesn't (yet).

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 13 January 2023, 21:00:40 »
I'd use Paint.NET.   Its like Gimp, but easier to deal with. Lol.  I've used Gimp and it's not as intuitive to me.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 13 January 2023, 21:21:59 »
I tried, but I just don't get it.  Word, on the other hand, I've used for a LONG time.  I knew it was a powerful program, but every time I find something else that I can do.

Case in point?  Today, I realized I can use a shaped text box to put the name of the unit in THE MARGIN.  Going to try it this weekend.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2023, 21:22:32 »
Good Luck!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2023, 22:30:43 »
Well, speaking of...  I just had to.  Here's a couple more vehicles for you.  NOW I can do the 'Mechs.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2023, 22:40:23 by Red Pins »

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 14 January 2023, 00:22:00 »
Bad, Red Pins.  Bad.  Go to bed, now.

A trial sheet for each page.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 15 January 2023, 01:23:44 »
Layout was harder to decide for this one; but it made it easier to decide the paired Mech pages.

*edit, omitted 'engineers', corrected.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2023, 01:31:22 by Red Pins »

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 15 January 2023, 14:31:01 »
Really happy with this one - I realized there was nothing I could do to save the Whitworth, and quit trying.  Instead I got to use an old favorite I made for some design challenge, something about trying to downsize the classic designs, similar to what the Clans did.