Register Register

Poll

Academy/Sibko Day Appendix.

Not interested one way or another
Leave it as is.
Rework it to use the Character creation system rules. Explained below
Either option 2 or 3 for now, but like Starleague expanded it to its own book.
Remove it and expanded it to its own book

Author Topic: MechWarrior Second Edition Optional rule.  (Read 20178 times)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
Re: MechWarrior Second Edition Optional rule.
« Reply #330 on: 16 January 2022, 13:51:30 »
As for development, I was thinking it over and deciding if I should add an entry for skills.

Manly, a cost reduction 1/2 skill points for characters 17 and under and a increasing cost as characters age into the higher categories.
AP cost would remain the same. With a divided column for Clan and Innersphere.

The idea comes from a great Star Trek Academy game I played in (Last Unicorn/Decipher rules) where we were all academy cadets.
This would allow for Sibko/Academy level games without the worry of weakening the characters vs. fully generated ones.

It also handles the issues of reduced learning capacity for Clan members due to their overstructured society.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #331 on: 16 January 2022, 15:52:47 »
Age rules take two
Changes
1. added a skill column to show the effects of age/culture on learning ability. (also kind of covers the Slow Learner disadvantage)
2. changed the zero level effects.
3. Some clarification.

let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2022, 22:12:48 by victor_shaw »

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #332 on: 16 January 2022, 18:11:45 »
Ah, I did conflate the * section with the rest of the reductions.  My lack of sleep is showing, sorry!

Also, I think it was the example that really threw me off.  The 51 row only seems to have a TN+0 for REF, not BLD, so I was thinking ti applied all the time.

Shouldn't the "skill point" cost be "skill level" cost?  ???

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #333 on: 16 January 2022, 18:57:37 »
Shouldn't the "skill point" cost be "skill level" cost?  ???

No.

The normal cost to raise a skill one level in MW2 is AP equal to the new level and 10 skill points.
So what the column is referring to is the modified cost in skill points to rise a skill.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2022, 19:00:36 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #334 on: 16 January 2022, 18:59:43 »
Also, I think it was the example that really threw me off.  The 51 row only seems to have a TN+0 for REF, not BLD, so I was thinking ti applied all the time.

That's my fault as the row original had a +0 TN at that location that I removed. (Need to fix that)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #335 on: 16 January 2022, 19:40:25 »
No.

The normal cost to raise a skill one level in MW2 is AP equal to the new level and 10 skill points.
So what the column is referring to is the modified cost in skill points to rise a skill.
Ah, so we're using post creation leveling then? ???

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #336 on: 16 January 2022, 19:57:56 »
Ah, so we're using post creation leveling then? ???

That column is not for use with character creation. It is for early start games (Academy/Sibko themed) and after that it depends on how long the campaign last. All character creation rules are still used as written. I put it in there to cover the idea of quitting character creation before you get to the Schools and running the game as new recruits at an Academy or just arriving for Sibko training to add a new campaign dimension to the possibilities available to your game. As for the later year entries, they are there to portray the Clans overstructured education system and the stagnation of there warriors. It also covers the Slow Learner trait that is missing due to me dropping Slow Learner and Fast Learner from the game.

The rest of the columns are used for character creation but at the very end. You would finish creation and Previous Experience if using that option, then run through the brackets one at a time till you reach your current age bracket. (Normally not changing much)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #337 on: 16 January 2022, 22:14:08 »
by the way I updated the file with fixes and explanations of how to use them.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #338 on: 17 January 2022, 01:57:57 »
Cool!  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #339 on: 17 January 2022, 17:07:12 »
Update 1.6 (Getting close to the end)

Additions
1. Load-Bearing Equipment and Rules.
2. Aging rules
3. Weapon accessories
4. Character sheet (Not the final one as it's kind of lame)
5. Carrying capacity and encumbrance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5liwnsqmbbl32v7/Mechwarrior%202nd%20edition%20optional%20rules%201.6.pdf?dl=0

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #340 on: 18 January 2022, 14:50:08 »
So as the poll has reached a point where the chances of any other result winning is doubtful, I guess its time to call it.

So The Starleague/Golden Age will get its own Sourcebook.
Since the MW2 Option book is one section from complete does any one have request for added material for this book.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #341 on: 18 January 2022, 19:28:40 »
Here is my run at the Previous Experience Rules (Optional Rules)
Would love to here your feedback Daryk before I throw it in (its easier to edit in Word)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #342 on: 18 January 2022, 20:22:01 »
13 hours today in the five-sided PowerPoint collider... And the prospects for the rest of the week are for making up the alleged day off yesterday.  Can you wait until the snowmageddon this weekend?

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #343 on: 18 January 2022, 20:47:22 »
13 hours today in the five-sided PowerPoint collider... And the prospects for the rest of the week are for making up the alleged day off yesterday.  Can you wait until the snowmageddon this weekend?

Im really not in any hurry.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #344 on: 18 January 2022, 21:13:04 »
Cool!  Please poke me on Friday as a reminder...  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #345 on: 19 January 2022, 12:34:03 »
Update
I have been working on Appendix IV: Academy Days
This will be a optional way of starting a campaign during the PCs Academy or Sibko days.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #346 on: 22 January 2022, 11:10:25 »
Cool!  Please poke me on Friday as a reminder...  :thumbsup:
Poke  :whip:

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #347 on: 22 January 2022, 11:23:06 »
Thanks for the reminder... my prediction for the rest of last week came true (12-13 hour days for the duration... at least I secured a direct order not to work this weekend).  Next week looks worse, if anything.  I'll see what I can do this weekend.  If the Russians do what they're threatening, I expect to be working weekends for the duration.  I really didn't expect DC working hours to be like Baghdad...

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #348 on: 22 January 2022, 12:02:36 »
My edits are attached.  I like how you're approaching this problem!  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #349 on: 22 January 2022, 15:30:45 »
My edits are attached.  I like how you're approaching this problem!  :thumbsup:

Here's version 2 with suggested changes and responses to comments

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #350 on: 22 January 2022, 15:48:47 »
I only see one response comment...  I had thought you were trying to limit the number of paths, and combining Agitator and Insurgent is near the top of my list for that.  If you're good with the extra module, it works for me.  The differences between the two are kind of subtle, but they are there.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #351 on: 22 January 2022, 16:00:23 »
Here is the newest update

Some minor changes here and there.
1. gave up on Piloting having a different attribute set (didn't hold up in play)
2. made some modifications to affiliations after test character (Wolf Clan) kept getting Obsession/Clan Honor
3. some minor changes to the aging table and the addition of Fast Learner as an option.
4. Academy campaign rules added as Appendix 4.
5. Previous Experience rules added as Appendix 5

Note: This is the final beta before I finalize the book. all errata, changes, grippes need to be in before I post the next and final link.
So this will be the final posted update.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/065947xsn0p9fbc/Mechwarrior%202nd%20edition%20optional%20rules%20%28Final%20Beta%29.pdf?dl=0

Also, I am looking for any submissions for Character sheets that support the new system.
My attempt leaves a lot to be desired.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2022, 16:05:59 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #352 on: 22 January 2022, 16:02:51 »
I only see one response comment...  I had thought you were trying to limit the number of paths, and combining Agitator and Insurgent is near the top of my list for that.  If you're good with the extra module, it works for me.  The differences between the two are kind of subtle, but they are there.

Most of the rest of it was just grammar or me being stupid so there was no need to respond lol.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #353 on: 22 January 2022, 16:34:25 »
Sounds good... what's your deadline for input?  I don't think I have any more, but if I do spot something... :)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #354 on: 22 January 2022, 16:47:10 »
Sounds good... what's your deadline for input?  I don't think I have any more, but if I do spot something... :)

Looking to have it over and done with by Feb 6th at the latest. Figure that give everyone two weeks to get back with issues.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #355 on: 22 January 2022, 16:57:57 »
Cool, thanks!  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #356 on: 22 January 2022, 18:20:55 »

What I need most is people other then me running a bunch of different types of PC through character creation to find any flaws or hiccups.
That is what I am going to be doing for most of the two weeks, but I have my own way of making characters (mostly themed) so I tend to miss easily exploited mechanics if they don't fit my themes.
So lot of creation test runs would be great.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2022, 03:31:17 by victor_shaw »

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #357 on: 22 January 2022, 18:49:20 »
No promises on that... I may be working next weekend.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #358 on: 24 January 2022, 14:27:52 »
Poll results

So the voting on the Starleague Era Information as a appendix entry is done.

While the results were pretty final
Should the Starleague/Golden Era Information be its own separate sourcebook and expanded (4 votes)
Should the Starleague/Golden Era Information be left in the core area of the book in it's current locations (2 Votes)

I have decided to go for an in the middle answer to the question.
I will leave it as a Appendix in the main release and explained it into its own full release in the future.
No promises on when that will be as I have other projects still waiting for me to finish.

New Poll.
As the new poll states, I am looking for forum opinion on the new Academy Days Appendix. As I stated earlier, this is more of a work of nostalgia for me as I have fond memories of play the Star Trek TNG RPG - Starfleet Academy box set and think it would fit great into the BTU with some modifications. Want to get others opinion on if this is something they want or just going to be a side project just for me.

As for answer #3: As the Appendix stands now, it uses the post character creation advancement system which you can see leave a lot to be desired in an academy system where advancement is pretty structured. The idea behind this answer is to set up the campaign to use the same system as character creation to smooth this over a bit. This would depend on fully fleshed out classes as show below handling the skills from the package's and electives. Any play outside the academy (Bar fights, Dorm room hijinks, etc.) would be handled as normal character advancement with PCs spending them how they see fit. With this type of structure you are essentially doing the Academy/Warrior package selection along side playing the normal game, so you would not have to worry about specials mechanics or giving the proper amount of AP/SP for PC to reach the package levels as they will be built in to the game progression. 

This was how it was handled in the Star Trek TNG RPG - Starfleet Academy box set and I think it will work well here.

Example:
Course:BMC 300.The Principles of Mechanized Mobility
Text: Text about the course
Skill: requirement to enter. Example: Piloting/Battlemech level 2
Course Curriculum: Tests, Lectures, Practical's, Etc. (Mostly for Role Playing)
Results: What you get for completing the course. Example: Piloting/Battlemech level 3

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #359 on: 24 January 2022, 18:51:33 »
First Academy Days update.

As stated in the Poll and previous post I have put some work into creating an in character creation campaign for run PCs through their academy days.

As it stands now this is how it will look in the final draft of MW2 optional rules.
Still missing the course descriptions but ran out of time for now (RL calls)
« Last Edit: 24 January 2022, 19:26:00 by victor_shaw »