Register Register

Author Topic: Most "Off the rails" Home brew custom mech you've seen?  (Read 998 times)

garhkal

• Major
Most "Off the rails" Home brew custom mech you've seen?
« on: 18 November 2022, 15:49:30 »
Since the old BMR came out, and had rules in it, for creating your own mechs, and the advent of Solaris Skunk werks and HMP, what's been the most OFF the wall, insane design you've seen someone come up with...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

smdvogrin

• Corporal
Re: Most "Off the rails" Home brew custom mech you've seen?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2022, 15:54:01 »
The "Catachan Barking Atlas".  100 tons, 1/2/11 movement (55 tons of mechanical jump boosters), C3 slave, TSM, Hatchet, max armor.  2 ER Mediums, 3 mediums, to power the TSM.

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2022, 16:15:20 »
Since the old BMR came out, and had rules in it, for creating your own mechs, and the advent of Solaris Skunk werks and HMP, what's been the most OFF the wall, insane design you've seen someone come up with...

I remember construction rules from Earlier than BMR. Regardless, this sounds like a great thread for the fan designs section! It’s always awesome to see some unconventional ‘Mechs!!
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Custom Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Custom Novel Golden Century BattleMechs, Custom Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, Custom First Generation OmniMechs.

thedancingjoker

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2022, 18:49:37 »
One build on a fast 35m mech with claws, TSM, and 4 er medium lasers in the torso, Jumped in, shot a bunch for chip damage (but mostly for heat) then clawed the head off of anything.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2022, 19:47:56 »
Guy had a custom hellion loaded up with iHSL and a TC. He shut down and you died
« Last Edit: 19 November 2022, 03:07:15 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2022, 02:43:36 »
The "Catachan Barking Atlas".  100 tons, 1/2/11 movement (55 tons of mechanical jump boosters), C3 slave, TSM, Hatchet, max armor.  2 ER Mediums, 3 mediums, to power the TSM.

11 jump?? OUCH!  Would hate to see a DFA from that!

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2022, 03:01:37 »
11 jump?? OUCH!  Would hate to see a DFA from that!
Unfortunately MJBs don't let you DFA

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2022, 08:10:44 »

It makes me wish that TSM influenced the strength of mechanical jump boosters since they're supposedly myomer-powered.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2022, 09:56:54 »
I built a custom clan Cyclops once for a throwaway game.  ER PPC instead of the autocannon, medium pulses, targeting computer, and a Streak4.  The insane part was the onboard Arrow IV that replaced the LRM, and carried 3 tons of ammo.

Best part of the game was firing at a mech in front of the mech, then the shot scattering 3 hexes behind the firing unit.  Mind you,  this was played right when TRO:3050 just released and we didn't have the new scatter rules we have now.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2022, 23:42:12 »
It makes me wish that TSM influenced the strength of mechanical jump boosters since they're supposedly myomer-powered.

The scary part is calculating how much acceleration is needed to have a Mech jump 330 meters using only the 6 meter length of its legs.  Assuming a 45 degree launch angle, and a 57 m/s final velocity when the Mech's legs leave the Earth (~40m/s for both horizontal and vertical vectors), that will give a total flight time of ~8.3 seconds, and a distance of 331 meters traveled.

The fun part is that final velocity has to be achieved over a distance of about 6 meters (assuming the Mech squats butt to the ground to get max distance, and the hips are halfway up the Mech).
Starting velocity = 0 m/s
Final Velocity = 57 m/s
Distance traveled = 6 meters
Acceleration and time are unknown so we use the equation:
(Final_Velocity)^2 = (Initial_Velocity)^2 + 2 * acceleration * distance traveled
(57 meters/second)^2 = (0 meters/second)^2 + 2 * acceleration * 6 meters
3249 m^2/s^2 = 0 + acceleration * 12 meters
3249 m^2/s^2 / 12 meters = acceleration
acceleration = 3249/12 * m/s^2
acceleration = ~270 m/s^2 -> 27.6 Gs

How tough are Mechwarriors?

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2022, 01:32:41 »
I built a custom clan Cyclops once for a throwaway game.  ER PPC instead of the autocannon, medium pulses, targeting computer, and a Streak4.  The insane part was the onboard Arrow IV that replaced the LRM, and carried 3 tons of ammo.

Just to see if i could, iirc i built a 100 tonner with 16 LRM-5s...  splitting iirc 10 tons of ammo..  BUT that's all it had.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2022, 07:36:18 »
acceleration = ~270 m/s^2 -> 27.6 Gs

How tough are Mechwarriors?
Not quite load-them-in-the-longtom territory, but definitely in the walk-away-from-a-car-crash territory.

VanVelding

• Master Sergeant