Register Register

Author Topic: New Physical Attack: Crush  (Read 505 times)

Charistoph

• Captain
New Physical Attack: Crush
« on: 18 November 2022, 16:45:09 »
Our group last Friday had managed to basically knock out all 4 of our opponent's fanatic pilots at one time or another in our Narrative Campaign game last Saturday.  Along with acquiring an Steiner Archer with CASE and a Highlander, we discussed how it was interesting we cannot do an Aimed Attack with Physical Attacks.  One would think it is rather obvious that one should be able to like step on or crush a desired target space if it is immobilized for some reason.

So here's my concept for doing something like that.

Physical Attacks aiming a specific section of a target are not normally allowed.  However, there are times when the situation allows for it, and almost demands it from a cinematic view point.

STOMP
Version 0.2: A pilot of a 'Mech may take a carefully aimed Physical Attack that is called a Stomp Attack against an Immobilized target.

In order to make a Stomp Physical Attack, the attacking 'Mech must be able to Kick, Punch, or use a Physical Weapon Attack against the target's Location.  The type of Stomping Attack will be based on the type of Physical Attacks one can perform against the target.  A Kick-based Stomping Attack must have the target Location at the same level as the 'Mech.  A Punch-based Stomping Attack must have the target Location at 1 Level above the 'Mech.  A Physical Weapon-based Stomping Attack can have the target Location on either level.

When targeting a Location, follow the same procedure as making an Aimed Shot against a Shut Down/Unconscious target, except with the Piloting Skill as the Base Number.  All other modifiers apply as normal, including modifiers for the type of Physical Attack being used.  If this is successful, player rolls a 2D6.  On a 6, 7, or 8, the damage is applied as normal to the desired location.  For any other result, roll normally on the Hit Location Table.

CRUSH
Version 0.2: A pilot of a 'Mech may make a carefully aimed Physical Attack called a Crush Attack against an Immobilized target.  In order to make a Crush Physical Attack, the attacking 'Mech cannot have Run or Jumped in the previous Movement Phase.

In order to make a Crush Physical Attack, the attacking 'Mech must be able to Kick, Punch, or use a Physical Weapon Attack against the target's Location.  The type of Crushing Attack will be based on the type of Physical Attacks one can perform against the target.  A Kick-based Crushing Attack must have the target Location at the same level as the 'Mech.  A Punch-based Crushing Attack must have the target Location at 1 Level above the 'Mech.  A Physical Weapon-based Crushing Attack can have the target Location on either level.

When making a Crush Attack, follow the same procedure as making an Aimed Shot against a Shut Down/Unconscious target, except with the Piloting Skill as the Base Number.  All other modifiers apply as normal.  If this is successful, the damage is half of the normal damage from the Physical Attack if Kick-based or Physical Weapon-based, or the damage of one Punch if Punch-based.  If this is successful, player rolls a 2D6.  On a 6, 7, or 8, the damage is applied as normal to the desired location.  For any other result, roll normally on the Hit Location Table.  With a successful Hit, the controlling player will make a roll for Critical Hits with a +2 modifier to the Roll to the Location hit.

So, thoughts, adjustments, constructive criticism?

Version 0.1: A pilot of 'Mechs may make a carefully aimed Physical Attack called a Crush Attack against an immoblized target.  In order to make a Crush Physical Attack, the attacking 'Mech must be able to perform a Kick or Physical Weapon Attack against the target.  This may be targeted against a location or a piece of equipment on a target. 

When targeting a location, follow the same procedure as making an Aimed Shot against a Shut Down/Unconscious target, except with the Piloting Skill as the Base Number.  All other modifiers apply as normal.  If this is successful, the damage is half of the normal Kick or Physical Weapon (rounding up), but they automatically make a roll for Critical Hits with a +2 modifier to the Roll.

When targeting a piece of equipment, it must be in a location that the 'Mech can normally hit (so nothing in a Vehicle's Body) nor can it be an ammo bay.  The player will follow the same procedure as making an Aimed Target Attack against a Head (with an additional +3 To-Hit if the equipment is in a Head location).  If this is successful, apply half of the damage of a Kick or the Physical Weapon used (rounding up), and make a roll for a Critical Hit with a +3 Modifier to the Roll.  If the Critical Hit Roll is successful, one Hit is automatically applied to the upper-most Critical slot of the equipment (if in a 'Mech).  Further Critical Hits are applied as normal.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2022, 15:17:23 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
Re: New Physical Attack: Crush
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2022, 17:17:13 »
A standing immobilized target should be able to be attacked with a punch; also, kicks should only be able to be aimed at a leg in this case.

Overall, I'd rather see it simplified by making it just an aimed shot, following the normal rules, without the critical hit chance.

Charistoph

• Captain
Re: New Physical Attack: Crush
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2022, 18:20:05 »
A standing immobilized target should be able to be attacked with a punch; also, kicks should only be able to be aimed at a leg in this case.

Overall, I'd rather see it simplified by making it just an aimed shot, following the normal rules, without the critical hit chance.

If it loses the Critical Chance, it should be looking at doing full damage of the Attack.  Of course, if Crushing by "Hand", it should probably be a Location check, right?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

VanVelding

• Master Sergeant