Register Register

Author Topic: Primitive aerospace missile variants  (Read 527 times)

DevianID

• Sergeant
Primitive aerospace missile variants
« on: 07 December 2020, 05:16:22 »
Howdy, ever since they backdated the RL-10 with a primitive version, i've been looking for other variants for use on aerospace fighters from 2300 and up.

LAA-Primitive.  Functions as LAA missile (2 slots, .5 ton unloaded weight).  Does 3 Damage, with damage reduction the same as from a Rifle (Cannon)
AAA-Primitive.   Functions as an anti-air arrow (5 slots, 1 ton unloaded weight).  Does 6 damage, with damage reduction the same as from a Rifle (Cannon).
ASM-Primitive.  Functions as an anti-ship missile (6 slots, 2 tons unloaded weight, targets 500+ ton ships)  Does 9 damage, with damage reduction the same as from a Rifle (Cannon).

Remember that you can use internal bomb bays to hold missiles unless I missed an errata or something.  Thus, a future-ish f-14 Tomcat as a 35 ton conventional fighter with 5/8 speed can be armed with a machine gun and 12 tons of cargo capacity with the 'internal bomb bay' quirk to carry 6 (Phoenix missile sized) LAA-Primitive missiles (2 slots each or 2 tons of cargo each) and fire all 6 at once.

Obviously these primitive missiles use the 3/6/9 damage convention of the rifle (cannon), which is 0/3/6 damage if you have BAR8 or better armor.  Still, I think they are fairly balanced for 3025 play.  Thoughts?

RifleMech

• Captain
Re: Primitive aerospace missile variants
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2020, 00:06:16 »
Sounds interesting.  :thumbsup:

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2020, 21:51:01 »
I give you this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missiles_by_country

Now have fun designing!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

RifleMech

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2020, 21:41:01 »
Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Red Pins

• Captain
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2020, 22:06:52 »
Hmm.

I really like this!  I have lots of Primitive fighters in my AU, this would be ideal. So, are these Arrow artillery missile variants?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

DevianID

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2021, 00:06:52 »
These are 'bomb munition' variants not arrow artillery munition variants.  The light air to air missile (LAA) is a 3057ish weapon that takes up 2 bomb slots when loaded, but weighs .5 tons when packed up in a shipping crate.  .5 tons of shipping weight corresponds to about the size of a real world Phoenix missile at 450kg.  Thus my primitive LAA missile would be available already in 2300 but have greatly reduced damage compared to the 3057 version.

For smaller missiles than the 2 slot Phoenix, we can just fluff them as variations on the primitive RL10 with its 1 bomb slot and higher damage, but the smaller weapons dont have the range or accuracy of the larger missiles like the LAA or air to air arrow.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2021, 00:47:26 »
Just make the range Medium as it's longest reach, should afford it.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016