Register Register

Author Topic: Quirks but using actual equipment  (Read 1100 times)

DevianID

• Lieutenant
Quirks but using actual equipment
« on: 20 November 2021, 22:33:26 »
With all the advanced equipment in the ilclan era, I was wondering if we can replicate most of the quirks using actual gear now.

Some examples:
Command mech: 4 tons of communications eq can also provide a +1 init
Battle computer: 7 tons of com equipment, as above
Narrow low profile is kinda like Ferro lam armor since it reduces damage taken.

Is there any noteworthy quirks that really impact a mech we can't replicate with advanced equipment in some way?  Things like hard to maintain dont come up in the tactical game, so its safe to ignore them i think.

RifleMech

• Major
Re: Quirks but using actual equipment
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2021, 22:49:46 »
Variable Range Targeting and Multi-Trak Targeting used to be equipment. All the targeting systems did really but these two weighed .5 tons and took 1 critical slot in the head. You could also only choose one targeting system. Now you can have more than one and use them with a targeting computer.

Laser Insulators are the tech equivalent to the Improved Cooling Jacket Quirk when applied to lasers.

Improved Sensors quirk version of Active Probes.
Improved Communications Quirk,  3 tons or less of additional com equipment.

DevianID

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2021, 19:46:42 »
So variable range and multitrack are gone, but targeting computers kind of make up the difference?
Combat computer is just 4 more heat dissipation, so no need for quirks there.
Battlefists and Actuator enhancement systems both increase punching right?

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2021, 23:40:00 »
Yeah but I still like them. I think of them as lower tech versions of the Targeting Computer. Many of the positive targeting quirks had a tech version in MaxTech. I like to think there's room for both.

The Combat Computer would be more 4 heat sinks.
Improved Life Support would be cargo space carrying an external consumables pod.

Directional torso mount = mech turret.
Internal Bomb Bay = Cargo bays and Bomb Bays (LAM only. Which is kind of weird but I wasn't asked.)
Jettison-Capable Weapon = hand held weapons (Rifles) and some Physical Weapons (those held in hands.)
Modular Weapons = OMNI tech sort of.
Protected Actuators = Armored components
Reinforced Legs = Reinforced Structure and Armored components
Rugged = Maybe Reinforced Structure and Armored components
Searchlight = Searchlight

DevianID

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2021, 01:19:13 »
Armored components for the leg actuators is a good find, as that certainly would make you more resilient versus leg attack crits!

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2021, 02:33:22 »
Armored components for the leg actuators is a good find, as that certainly would make you more resilient versus leg attack crits!

That it would. :)

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2021, 00:31:47 »
Narrow low profile is kinda like Ferro lam armor since it reduces damage taken.
This is pretty much 101% true. And makes any design that has that quirk, plus has some of the non-standard/non-FF armors, an absolute PITA to deal with.

Anything with Narrow Profile and Ferro-Lamellor is hideously broken, and more than likely is also going to have an ECM of some kind. If they also have the Compact Design quirk, you're going to hate that game. Unless you bring Arty Cannons  >:D >:D

And then there's the psychos who play with Compact Design customs, with Hardened Armor. Which should be bannable :ticked:
Urbies, shouldn't ACTUALLY be armored like an Atlas. Its just supposed to be FLUFFED to be armored like an Atlas.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2021, 02:03:29 »
Maybe some sort of airborne radar array that when tied in to the Mech's targeting computer provides AA abilities...  Incompatible with the larger ground-based Targeting Computer?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

DevianID

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2021, 03:44:28 »
So far, the only weapon with actual air targeting on the low altitude map is the ADA arrow right?  Thats the only weapon I know of that can actually perform anti-air.  All other ground weapons are 'revenge' guns, that hit the aircraft during or after the aircraft's attack, but dont protect against an air strike.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2021, 10:42:00 »
So far, the only weapon with actual air targeting on the low altitude map is the ADA arrow right?  Thats the only weapon I know of that can actually perform anti-air.  All other ground weapons are 'revenge' guns, that hit the aircraft during or after the aircraft's attack, but dont protect against an air strike.

A lot of direct-fire AA has been that way, anyway.  But the Quirk I was referencing was Anti-Aircraft Targeting which is used by the Rifleman, Lancelot, Jagermech, and such.

And sometimes, just the threat of having to go through flack is enough to keep air strikes away.

Still, something that could hit a bit farther out besides the Arrow wouldn't be disappointing, especially if it could offer a delay for the BSP Air Strike.  Basically it could happen on a Crit Chance, if you roll an 8-9, it can't be used that turn, 10-11, it is delayed this turn and next, and 12 it is delayed for this and the next two turns.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

DevianID

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2021, 00:25:25 »
Still, something that could hit a bit farther out besides the Arrow wouldn't be disappointing, especially if it could offer a delay for the BSP Air Strike
Something like the anti-air rifleman makes a piloting skill or gunnery skill roll, and if successful instead of shooting at mechs he can provide 1 BSP light cover card for the turn?

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2021, 01:52:50 »
Something like the anti-air rifleman makes a piloting skill or gunnery skill roll, and if successful instead of shooting at mechs he can provide 1 BSP light cover card for the turn?

Or dedicate a certain amount of long-ranged weapon fire as a Primary Target, generating heat and burning ammo as normal.  A base Gunnery Skill Roll should be required, as it shooting.

When using the Altitude Map with attending ASF resources on it, the fire can reach out one more hex/sheet than normal.