Register Register

Author Topic: Reduced weight weapons and equipment Inner sphere tech pointers.  (Read 223 times)

Izzy193

• Master Sergeant
I was contemplating on decreasing the weight of Inner sphere weapons and equipment for later era's. At least some of the more common tournament legal Inner Sphere Tech. But I am running into some balancing issues in terms of them might be too strong for the setting. what should I do to offset the decreased weight, Increase the crits, increase the heat, increase the BV a C-bill cost or all of the above? Or would it vary based upon the weapon/equipment type itself?

AlphaMirage

• Captain
I would compare the difference between light and standard auto cannons as well as the difference between improved missiles vs the standard as there is already precedent

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Did TPTB ever give BV for the "Improved" weapons that predated full clanner tech? ???

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
How much a weapon weights or how many critical slots a weapon takes up does not have any impact on the weapon's BV rating.

The philosophy behind this is that by the fact something weighting less or taking up fewer critical slots allows for the installation of other things that will come with their own BV rating and thus drive the BV rating of the unit up by that method.

As such something I've actually done some play testing with(at least a hundred matches against an older version of the MegaMek bot) and found no real issue with is just cutting the weight of ACs, LB-Xs, RACs and UACs by 2 tons and for those that would not result in zero critical slots reduce those by 1 as well.  I don't think LACs were actually a thing when I did those tests.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
That sounds like a solid approach to me!  :thumbsup:

VanVelding

• Master Sergeant
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
I was contemplating on decreasing the weight of Inner sphere weapons and equipment for later era's. At least some of the more common tournament legal Inner Sphere Tech. But I am running into some balancing issues in terms of them might be too strong for the setting. what should I do to offset the decreased weight, Increase the crits, increase the heat, increase the BV a C-bill cost or all of the above? Or would it vary based upon the weapon/equipment type itself?
As long as they're not beating out Clan Tech, I'm not sure what the problem is. How are they too strong?

You can also use the intermediate weapons that the Clans created before Clantech.

As far as BV goes, you should definitely recalculate BV when you change a weapon's performance. IIRC, it's a simple formula.
I also have a blog about gaming, comics, and news at vanvelding.blogspot.

Izzy193

• Master Sergeant
As long as they're not beating out Clan Tech, I'm not sure what the problem is. How are they too strong?

You can also use the intermediate weapons that the Clans created before Clantech.

As far as BV goes, you should definitely recalculate BV when you change a weapon's performance. IIRC, it's a simple formula.

they have increased heat for lighter weight without taking up more crit space at this time, for example I made a SPL,ERML and ML variant that's 0.5 tons and 1 crit.

RifleMech

• Major
Improved Autocannons, Gauss Rifle, Large Laser, Large Pulse Laser and PPC are one ton lighter and one crit smaller but are otherwise the same as Standard IS versions. Improved LRMs are half the weight but still have the minimum range.
Improved SRMs have longer range for the same weight.

VanVelding

• Master Sergeant