Register Register

Author Topic: Vehicle Bays (not a fan rule, just a clarification)  (Read 477 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
Vehicle Bays (not a fan rule, just a clarification)
« on: 26 November 2022, 11:40:40 »
can a conventional fighter use a light vehicle bay?

I'm thinking of conventional fighters (or support vehicle) with VToL up to 50 tons using a light vehicle bay.

on a side note; dropships can be as small as 200t ... could that dropship use a flight deck or helipad?  It would qualify as a "200t aerospace unit that can land horizontally (aerodyne) or verticaly (spheriod).

my furious notes of designing a 100,000t submersible aircraft carrier would like to know.  So would my 300t pocket carrier.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

AlphaMirage

• Captain
Re: Vehicle Bays (not a fan rule, just a clarification)
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2022, 11:50:00 »
Yes, but I don't believe they can launch from it or be recovered (unless it has VTOL I think)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2022, 12:45:27 »
good enough, and yup the intent was to have only VTOL capable CF's launch from my Pocket carrier.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2022, 16:35:25 »
If you want the full suite of aircraft handling gear, you need a full on ASF cubicle.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2022, 18:22:19 »
If you want the full suite of aircraft handling gear, you need a full on ASF cubicle.

have lots of ASF bays on board, can I use my light vehicle bays to hold VToL capable CF's though ... or does that stretch the intent of the rules to far.

the carrier has 3 flight decks and 5 helipads, so I can land/launch those VToL CF all day long.

KS #1357

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2022, 18:45:05 »
You can store them as cargo all day long.  You just have to load them into an ASF cubicle before launch or upon recovery.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2022, 20:29:38 »
I should have responded with the example of my pocket carrier with Light vehicle bays.  Regardless you are saying that using (deploy, recover, service) them for CF will not work, even if taking off via VToL.  That's fine.  Was just checking.  That pocket carrier will simply be a VToL carrier.

KS #1357

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2022, 20:47:02 »
At 3:1, you wouldn't lose that many, and it would be a pretty good representation of the limited number of catapults on a ship.