Register Register

Author Topic: Volume of Water  (Read 630 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Volume of Water
« on: 19 November 2022, 18:37:17 »
 :(

So: It's been put forth, by fans of the game other than me, you could only fit six solders into a single, vehicle, space.

I like this assertion, but it's knock-on effect is I now am looking for a guesstimate as to how many tons of portable water I could fit in a like space.

… If that's not interesting enough for you, "would you supply water to the troops on a hover, or a tread?" :-\
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Frustration

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Volume of Water
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2022, 19:04:15 »
1 liter of water is 1 kg at Standard Temperature and Pressure.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2022, 23:12:17 »
Trying to guesstimate the volume of a vehicle space is rather hopeless. A weightless tractor hook, a 15kg Sprayer, a 250kg medic workspace, a 30 ton Long Tom and a basically unlimited MASH all take up the same single vehicle space.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2022, 23:49:23 »
You know, a 625k warship can have pressurized repair facility enough to house a 2500k warship. This is the physical science of Battletech Universe.

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2022, 10:11:25 »
A cubic meter is 1000 liters. So its basically a (metric) ton (technically 997Kg) of liquid water per cubic meter and the (adult male of military age, like most statistics) human body is about 60% water. In comparison a ton of iron is about 8 times heavier so it would only take up ~127.5 liters of volume while titanium is almost 5 times heavier or almost 200 liters of volume per ton.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2022, 16:21:31 »
You know, a 625k warship can have pressurized repair facility enough to house a 2500k warship. This is the physical science of Battletech Universe.

Are these Pressurized facilities inside the Warship, or are they extended externally, then inflated?

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2022, 17:39:50 »

https://special.kia.com/en/kia/vehicles/km25-series/km256-water-tanker.do

Code: [Select]
Features

Water tank

Tank capacity: 3,780 ℓ (partition between front and rear section)

~

Auxiliary equipment

Ventilation equipment for insulating the water tank in the winter

PTO and electric control switch for operating the water pump

GVW kg 11,180

… Soooo 3.5 tons of water in'a 11 ton medium vehicle?
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Frustration

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2022, 02:01:16 »
Are these Pressurized facilities inside the Warship, or are they extended externally, then inflated?

Usually these should be inside the warship. Nothing says it can be inflated. Although it makes sense that able to inflate it should be explains why a warship weights less than a Sovetskii Soyuz can house a Newgrange on the paper. But it would be more dangerous than (un)fold the jump sail, so I think that it is better to make it hugh enough to house such a colossal warship without inflate the facility.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2022, 19:11:34 »
I would like to point out that if you're looking for Volume that an existing Infantry Bay can carry, it's not going to fill the compartment by weight.  An Infantry compartment is big enough that Infantry can comfortably embark, get seated, and check their equipment, then disembark quickly, over the matter of seconds. 

There's a lot of open air in that compartment not physically occupied by the soldiers and their kit.

So, the same tonnage of water won't fill the compartment completely.  There will be breathing room. But, to fill the compartment completely, you'll probably go over tonnage, and start slowing the vehicle down.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2022, 05:21:11 »

A slight correction; pressurized repair facility enough to house a 2500k warship requires 7.5% of 2500k thus it requires 187,500 tons, and the weight of the repair facility cannot exceed 25% of the ship's weight. So you need at least 750k warship to house a 2500k warship. It's still ridiculous, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway it is also ridiculous that only a single standard(non-superheavy for track/wheel, for example) combat vehicle can have a platoon of soldiers. Well, is it an armored bus?