Register Register

Author Topic: weapon concept: Extended range and Pulse chemical lasers  (Read 560 times)

Izzy193

• Sergeant
weapon concept: Extended range and Pulse chemical lasers
« on: 23 November 2022, 08:28:13 »
The following are just variations of chemical lasers, I'll go over the decription of each type and their basic characteristics. Firstly with the simplest to impliment ER chemical lasers and then Pulse Chemical lasers.

Extended Range Chemical lasers: A Variation of Clan Hells Horses Chemical laser, for 50% more heat and half of the ammunition in the form of chemical laser charages. this lasers tonnage,bulk,range and damage are the same as the Inner Sphere ER Lasers. though an advantage they have is that like their older brothers/sisters the chemical lasers, the extended ranged versions do not require power amplifiers to use. the other drawback is that they cost more then a standard chemical laser. another advantage is that they run slightly cooler then a electric ER laser.

Pulse Chemical lasers: refered to as a cross between a pulse laser and a machine gun. the chemical pulse lasers have near identical characteristics in terms of tonnage,range,bulk and damage to regular Inner sphere pulse lasers however do not require nither a nuclear engine nor power amplifires and run slightly cooler than thier electric powered counterparts. though they had similar ammount of ammunition as a regular chemical laser, the pulse version fire two cartridges per shot instead of one per shot of the regular chemical laser.

No stat blocks yet, but this is a collaborative project so you guys can put in input as well. For both Fluff and Balance purposes.

Col Toda

• Captain
Re: weapon concept: Extended range and Pulse chemical lasers
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2022, 04:54:44 »
The Clans made high end very expensive chemical ammo to get normal penatration vs primitve versions of the same . ER stretches believability.  Pulse less so but like rapid fire machine guns it should have HEAT issues  .

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2022, 13:58:19 »
So... standard chemical lasers are;
Small: 3 damage, 1 heat, range 1/2/3, weight 0.5, crit 1, 60 shots per a ton.
Medium: 5 damage, 2 heat, range 3/6/9, weight 1, crit 1, 30 shots per a ton.
Large: 8 damage, 6 heat, range 5/10/15, weight 5, crit 2, 10 shots per a ton.

These lasers' damage , weight and criticals are same as standard lasers, and we assumed that it is based on standard chemical lasers, so it should be follow the similar stats with IS ER/Pulse.

And for now I just set that ER and Pulse uses the cartridge 50% heavier than the standard chemical lasers, for its increased heat and energy.

So, what about these?

Small Pulse Chemical Laser: 4 damage, 1 heat, range 1/2/3, weight 1.0, crit 1, 40 shots per a ton.
Medium Pulse Chemical Laser: 6 damage, 3 heat, range 2/4/6, weight 2.0, crit 1, 20 shots per a ton.
Large Pulse Chemical Laser: 9 damage, 8 heat, range 3/7/10, weight 7.0, crit 2, 6 shots per a ton.

ER Small Laser: 3 damage, 1 heat, range 2/4/5, weight 0.5, crit 1, 40 shots per a ton.
ER Medium Laser: 5 damage, 4 heat, range 4/8/12, weight 1.0, crit 1, 20 shots per a ton.
ER Large Laser: 8 damage, 8 heat, range 7/14/19, weight 5.0, crit 2, 6 shots per a ton.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2022, 07:13:55 »
The vast majority of chemical laser use is in combat vehicles which ignore the heat altogether.  That is why the development by Hells Horses . No reason in a double heat sink environment any mech would field chemical lasers at all . I just saying the pulse produces 1 extra heat per size  that carried over to combat vehicles.  Thats all.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2022, 07:16:26 by Col Toda »

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2022, 09:48:06 »
The vast majority of chemical laser use is in combat vehicles which ignore the heat altogether.  That is why the development by Hells Horses . No reason in a double heat sink environment any mech would field chemical lasers at all . I just saying the pulse produces 1 extra heat per size  that carried over to combat vehicles.  Thats all.

Well... but is there anyone actually thinks to add it on the heat tracking units? It's supposed to be exclusive for CV/PM, and every others have no reason to do.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2022, 16:44:04 »
I did come up with ER Chemical Lasers using the IS ER range bands for the weapons while using 50% more ammo.
Not a bad upgrade for the weapons, makes them a little better.
Wish I could put it in MegaMek but oh well.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

601 Battlemechs
503 Warships

Register