Register Register

Author Topic: "Redneck" (FGC based AU)  (Read 24417 times)

Cannonshop

• Major
Re: "Redneck" (FGC based AU)
« Reply #150 on: 06 April 2012, 15:24:18 »
Nha Tranh General Hospital, 3068/05/3/0630 hours local time...

"Where is she?"  General Jaime Wolf demanded of the armed Coast Guardsman controlling entrance to the ICU.

"General, you're not fam-" the Guard started, and Wolf silenced him with two-things, a glare, and a document. 

"You will find, legally at least, I am family."  he said.

"Sorry, sir...I was not informed.  Right through the doors, room six-oh-one, but..."  the man looked up at him, "You might not want to see her like this-they found something that quiets her down some, but..."

"I want to see her." Wolf said, and the guard keyed the door open.

Room 601 didn't have an entrance on the corridor, it was a medical 'clean room', and so Wolf had to content himself-for the moment, looking in through armored glass.

Ten feet of distance, and sound-proofing, and he imagined he could still hear her whimpering, wrapped in life-support hookups, needles, and multiple drips of various pain suppression and antiseizure medications.

"It's not pretty." a voice said, and he looked over. 

Dr. Mai Huyn had come to many people's attention for her work on the Arluna Flu, its cure, and the test method that allowed most of the Lyran state to lift strict level-zero quarantines.  "She's lived about twelve hours longer than anyone ever has with what she's got and what she did." the Doctor said, "That fella from NIOPS did a hell of a job keeping her going this long."

"How are the children?" Jaime asked.

"The boy's about as healthy an infant as I've ever laid eyes on...the girl's going to need some help.  I think momma's nutrition mostly went to the son."  Dr. Huyn said, "in general, I can say they'll both live, and neither one of them has the full spread of Cholmann's markers."

"And Liz?" he asked.

"We've got a patient I can't treat." Huyn said, "I can barely keep her comfortable for a few minutes at a time-but those intervals are getting shorter.  You've got a Marriage License from Terra, so you're about the closest thing to a family member I have."

"You want to terminate?" Jaime asked.

"Liz never left a living will, Mister Wolf-or at least, she didn't include medical catastrophe IN her living will.  She's got all kinds of instructions on the kids, who's going to inherit what, what schools she wants them to attend, where she wants them raised, even custody instructions and a named godmother and god father, but..." Huyn crossed her arms, "Her plan was, I'm only speculating, to self-terminate when it got too bad-well, it's too bad and too late for that, and we can't fix her, and she's only going to get worse."

"There's got to be something you can try!" Jaime insisted, "Something besides..."

"I was on the NAIS team in '35 when we tried to save her uncle-he lasted eighteen months in this state." Huyn said, "Eighteen months insane, in agony nobody can treat, conscious of it the entire time.  Right now, she can't even breast-feed the kids, her body's full of too many drugs, it'd kill them."

Elizabeth's body thrashed and contracted as another seizure hit, and Jaime saw the restraints bending the brackets wiht the force.

"What about cryo? maybe in the future-" he said.

"You can okay that...but with some of the best medical minds in the last seven hundered years, nobody's come up with a way to reverse, or even arrest, the degradation." Huyn told him, "She's going to be like this for the rest of her life, you just have to decide how long she's got to suffer."
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #151 on: 06 April 2012, 17:37:03 »
poor jamie :( and he dosent even get to see his kids :( i want him to be able to see his little wolf cubs!!!  :'( raise them to be proper bad ass dragoons before taking over the IS :P lol

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #152 on: 06 April 2012, 23:45:50 »
Fiction or not, that there is a BAD medical and ethical situation to be in...

it sucks.

really.

sucks.

Excellent writing, Cannonshop.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #153 on: 07 April 2012, 01:47:18 »
She always knew the pregnancy would be her death sentence, and giving birth the last thing she ever did.
She's probably surprised she's still alive, and we all know the she wouldn't have any qualms about turning off the machines...

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #154 on: 07 April 2012, 02:59:11 »
May 7, 3068, Liberation Park, Nha Tranh, Kowloon...

"Hell of a decision you have to make there, sir."  Major David "Duke" Conway said.  Jaime was feeding the ducks and brooding.

"Terran Medical says she's hopeless." Jaime said, "My own Medtechs, Clan Trained medtechs, can't do anything about her condition.  My options are to either pay to put her in cryo-suspension for shipment...somewhere, or kill her...so yeah, it's a hell of a decision I have to make."

"You could have her cryo'ed now, and then decide to kill her later." Conway said flatly, "Or cryo her now, finish this war, then start really arm-twisting to find a fix...what about the kids?"

"While we're at war, I can't be playing father." Wolf said coldly, "Not in person, anyway-she's right about that.  Which does NOT mean I just leave 'em be.  The Archon's pulling most of the tier twos out now, recalls going back ten years or more.  Stripping the region and these people are trying to fill the gaps with what they can scrape up..."

"You have a plan." Conway said.

"When do I NOT have a plan?" Jaime asked.

"Elson's Challenge, that rat-****** in the Free Worlds...Misery?" Conway answered promptly.

"Yeah, but this time, I DO have a plan.  I"m going to order Beta Regiment to hang around the area, using the Star League treaty as their basis.  Think you can handle that?"

"Beta's a Regiment, sir, I'm a Major..." Conway pointed out.

"Not if I promote you, you're not.  I need people out here I can trust, to grab those kids and run-like-hell for Terra if it looks like this world's going to fall-and I need people like you advising the natives to KEEP that from happening...the children are my children, but Kowloon's their inheritance." Jaime said, "a Father has a duty to assure his children have a future, wouldn't you agree?"

"You know I do, Sir." Conway said, "What about Beta's current CO?"

"Division level replacement for Grabowski, who, I am thinking, really needs to be shifted to a liason post on Tharkad...the guy's a good paper-pusher, but he's got no credibility with the rest of the 212's Staff, they need a Dragoon's hand to get that unit back in shape..."

Conway stared silently.  "Yes, I know, Conway, I'm avoiding it..." Jaime said quietly.

"Just so you know, sir...she's been in it for four days-maybe won't be much left of her if you wait much longer." Conway reminded his leader.

Jaime nodded, and walked away.

At the adjoining street, he pulled out his PADD, and sent a P-Mail to Dr. Huyn's direct account.

To: Dr. Mai Huyn,

RE: Elizabeth

I'm authorizing Cryogenic suspension for Liz.  She's never given in to the inevitable before, and giving in to the inevitable runs against MY character as well, but I do acknowledge that present circumstances don't provide much hope for her recovery.  However, time is fluid and filled with change, there was a time when it was believed that Interstellar Travel was infeasably expensive and that the Einstein Limit would confine mankind to the Sol System for all of eternity.  We live as descendents of people who defied that paradigm. 
I won't give up on her, but I can't stay here at present, and time is running out to save what's left of her.

Freeze her up, doc, Maybe in the future, she'll drink a toast to our memory, yours and mine.

Jaime Wolf

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #155 on: 07 April 2012, 06:07:44 »
i do love jamie, hope they just take his brain out, and clone him a new copy body and put the brain in there  }:)

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #156 on: 07 April 2012, 06:46:21 »
*cough* Maeve Wolf *cough*

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #157 on: 07 April 2012, 06:49:12 »
*cough* Maeve Wolf *cough*

yeah, ya gotta wonder what his "Trueborn" Heir thought of all this.

Maybe I'll address that, and maybe I won't... depends on what I'm able to dig up and what fits with what happened later.  I suspect, based on what was going on when the FGC game went into Hiatus this last time, that she probably wasn't REAL thrilled at the idea of a couple of half-siblings young enough to be HER children...

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #158 on: 07 April 2012, 20:35:08 »
"She is not dead, she but sleeps, the once and future Duchess, aboard the lost Jumpship "Avalon".  Awaiting Kowloon's hour of greatest need, when she will return to take up once again her terrible bloody sword, and lead the People to victory."

Excerpt from "The Once and Future Duchess."  A study of contemporary leadership and urban legends surrounding the aftermath of the Kowloon crisis.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #159 on: 07 April 2012, 20:38:42 »
"She is not dead, she but sleeps, the once and future Duchess, aboard the lost Jumpship "Avalon".  Awaiting Kowloon's hour of greatest need, when she will return to take up once again her terrible bloody sword, and lead the People to victory."

Excerpt from "The Once and Future Duchess."  A study of contemporary leadership and urban legends surrounding the aftermath of the Kowloon crisis.

LoL.

Register