Register Register

Author Topic: A different speech.  (Read 931 times)

Korzon77

• Captain
A different speech.
« on: 22 May 2022, 00:21:09 »
Hanse Davion stood, the wine glass in his hand. He looked at his wife, at the representatives of the Inner Sphere, the Perhiphery, of Comstar.

Here on earth.

How many times did Ian and I dream of this moment. Standing here. Ian had joked that he'd make me First Lord... And now here I am, with my wife. With the future.

And everyone wondering what I'm going to say.

"The Star League is dead." Hanse Davion said. The room was utterly quiet. "How much blood have we shed for it? How often have we lionized it, ignoring that it was born in the blood of an unjust war?" He nodded to the Periphery Ambassadors. "Almost every war we have fought has been about that throne, from Amaris, to the succession wars. How many worlds within just a few jumps of this hall are dead, the bones of their last inhabitants clustered around the last air scrubbers or tangled in the dropship terminals where they fought for and failed to take the last ship?"

He looked out over the room. "This is supposed to be a time of beginnings. That is what marriages are about, and so, to my new wife, I offer this: Nevermore will our subjects fight for a meaningless title, in the name of a long-dead monument to mankind's hubris. I say, with the full backing of the Lyran Commonwealth and the Federated Suns--that we do renounce, and so will all of our heirs, now and forever more, any claim to the Star League, nor will we accept any who lay claim to its position." He raised his glass. "The League is dead, Long Live... Our Future."

And then the Hall went wild.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: A different speech.
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2022, 02:21:12 »
WHOOOOOOOO!!!!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2022, 02:42:11 »
 ... and in the next two sentences he returns the worlds taken from the Taurians during the Reunification wars to the Concordat in order to "repair an injustice".  :o

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2022, 02:50:36 »
... and in the next two sentences he returns the worlds taken from the Taurians during the Reunification wars to the Concordat in order to "repair an injustice".  :o

to avoid a civil war on that front, he'd likely leave it up to those worlds in the form of a referendum, just giving them back cold, could spark a whole new style and series of terrorism in both nations.  (Witness the conflicts in Central Europe after The Soviet Union collapsed, or the war-torn territory of the former Ottoman Empire after World War One, or the central European conflicts between 1919 and 1932, or the partition of Ireland...or the partition of India when the British realized they'd had enough.)

What Hanse would  certainly NOT want, is something that looks like Sykes-Picot.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2022, 03:06:15 »
And to be blunt, given how most of those worlds reacted during the Jihad?  They are more or less Davion worlds now, maybe with some Taurian customs, but the vast majority of the citizens appear to be happy. (granted, that could also be because of the Crazy the Taurians were exhibiting during that period.). 

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2022, 03:17:11 »

As has been pointed out, just giving them back would be a bit much. I can see a referendum. I can also see offers to invest in the Taurian Concordat to repair some of the damage done there during the Reunification Wars.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2022, 07:31:56 »
Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... the idea of referendums certainly has merits.

As well as offering mutual military observers on that border on each others' planets and mutual sharing of intelligence for the purpose of pirate hunting and hunting "pirates".

Those worlds are Outback worlds ... with all that entails (being economic drains).

I agree: the "Taurian Stupid" regarding the Federated Suns at that time is ... considerable ...

David CGB

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2022, 16:14:58 »
Hanse Davion stood, the wine glass in his hand. He looked at his wife, at the representatives of the Inner Sphere, the Perhiphery, of Comstar.

Here on earth.

How many times did Ian and I dream of this moment. Standing here. Ian had joked that he'd make me First Lord... And now here I am, with my wife. With the future.

And everyone wondering what I'm going to say.

"The Star League is dead." Hanse Davion said. The room was utterly quiet. "How much blood have we shed for it? How often have we lionized it, ignoring that it was born in the blood of an unjust war?" He nodded to the Periphery Ambassadors. "Almost every war we have fought has been about that throne, from Amaris, to the succession wars. How many worlds within just a few jumps of this hall are dead, the bones of their last inhabitants clustered around the last air scrubbers or tangled in the dropship terminals where they fought for and failed to take the last ship?"

He looked out over the room. "This is supposed to be a time of beginnings. That is what marriages are about, and so, to my new wife, I offer this: Nevermore will our subjects fight for a meaningless title, in the name of a long-dead monument to mankind's hubris. I say, with the full backing of the Lyran Commonwealth and the Federated Suns--that we do renounce, and so will all of our heirs, now and forever more, any claim to the Star League, nor will we accept any who lay claim to its position." He raised his glass. "The League is dead, Long Live... Our Future."

And then the Hall went wild.
This is wonderful, I would love to see this play out a bit
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Mister Spencer

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2022, 10:51:35 »
I hope there is more where this came from.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2022, 07:12:35 »

Personally, I think this is a far more realistic policy position. 244 years of indecisive war for a throne nobody's likely to recognize you for even if you do manage to "win." It's like what the Wolves are going through in the current timeline. Sure, they took Terra, the rest of the Inner Sphere is basically replying with a yawn. Hanse Davion would be telling the rest of the Inner Sphere with this statement "We're doing what's best for the Federated Commonwealth and not endlessly chasing a dead throne."

Now if the rest of the Inner Sphere has the brains to take the hint, that will be the rub so to speak. I could see the FC stock in the Periphery go sky high, at least for a time. But this would be interesting.
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2022, 07:43:55 »
I could see the FC stock in the Periphery go sky high, at least for a time. But this would be interesting.

Indeed.

Especially if he were to state specifically that the Reunification Wars were (to put it diplomatically) wrong and that the FC pledged to protect any nation, either in the Periphery or the Inner Sphere, from any actions taken in the name of the Star League.

That would amount to an automatic defensive pact against whoever claims to have restored the Star League - which is basically not going to happen, according to what Hanse Davion knows at the time, but should be a potent symbolic gesture which shows that he really means it.

It would also put the FC in the position of champion of the Inner Sphere once the Clan Invasion rolls around, though of course Hanse canĀ“t know that yet.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Blade4

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2022, 14:04:43 »
To bad it wont stop the fighting and the other lords will think him nuts or this part of some elaborate plot. The Kurita literally cant stop trying to conquer everyone because that is the basis of their culture  and Liao wont stop plotting and trying to grasp for more power or at least survival.

Register