Register Register

Author Topic: A Toreel Wizard in Prince Davion's Court  (Read 16409 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Major
  • Miss Chitty scoffs at your clan overlords
Re: A Toreel Wizard in Prince Davion's Court
« Reply #390 on: 27 September 2020, 02:21:11 »
~New Avalon, October 19, 3025~

The prisoner was just what the report had told Captain Montrose to expect. About a meter tall, enlarged head with very prominent ears that came to points almost horizontally from the head. Very childlike at first glance, but a closer examination revealed physical development largely consistent with a young adult. The doctor who had examined her suggested either some form of dwarfism or some sort of genetic or nutritional abnormality which resulted in the early onset of puberty. The prominent ears, and the fact that another prisoner had similar ears but appeared to be of similar development but normal height suggested to the doctor that this subject suffered from dwarfism rather than nutritional problems, and the prisoner's own claims of her age tended to support that.

Captain Montrose sat down from across the prisoner and set a recorder on the table, switching it on as he did. "Captain Elian Montrose," he said in to the recorder, "Interviewing the subject self identifying as Chimkin McNuggNugg." He looked over to the prisoner. "You still going with that?"

"It's the name I was born with," the prisoner said, her expression a mix of annoyance and resignation. "If it makes it easier for you, you can call me Chim like everybody else does."

"If you like," Captain Montrose replied. "Let's start by running down what you told last guy."

"Is this really how you get things done?" the prisoner protested. "I've said this three times, and you already have three recording devices in here. What's the point of bringing another one in with you?"

Mental note, the prisoner noticed the obvious camera in the corner, and two of the three concealed recorders. "The bureaucrats love their corroboration," he said. "Particularly with extraordinary claims."

"I don't know how your people could have achieved so much while being so anal," the prisoner replied.

"We do all right." Motrose replied. "To begin, subject was discovered on October 17th, inside Storage Warehouse 37b on the NAIS Campus, along with several others. Discovery was made by campus security at 23:06 local time. Subjects did not resist when ordered to submit to arrest."

"We didn't want to have to hurt anybody," the prisoner said. "I'd hoped that would count for something."

"Subject claims to have gained entry to the warehouse via a 'gate spell' which allowed her and the rest of her party to travel here from somewhere in the neighborhood of the Euschelus in the Taurian Concordat." Montrose continued. This was one of the first places where the stories of the prisoners tended to differ. This girl and a man named Brett agreed on that, a woman named Trisha was more specific and said they'd come from a star system one jump away from Euschelus. The older man, named Leo (pronounced with an odd accent), hesitantly agreed, but insisted it was 'a bit complicated', a woman named Celia refused to answer entirely, and the last person, a woman named Kim, insisted they wouldn't understand where she'd come from without an understanding of high level dimensional physics.

"I know, I get it, I really do." the subject said. "Believe me, I've already heard it more times that I can stand. You want me to put on a demonstration too?"

Montrose had already seen and heard the recordings. The girl could conjure lights and images, move things with her mind, reshape objects with a touch. Magic, plain and simple. The old man and maybe the pointy eared woman had similar abilities. Also, they'd already inventoried the prisoners' possessions. Just searching their bags had been enlightening, and the sudden need to find place to securely store a couple thousand pounds of precious metals and strange objects that may or may not be incredibly dangerous was all kinds of fun for the station's staff.

Not letting her in on how much of her story they believed was part of the job, however. The girl was hesitant to say too much, as was the old man, and the woman named Kim, and Celia basically remained silent. Trisha and Brett however had given up a lot.

"Let's continue," he said.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #391 on: 27 September 2020, 03:22:54 »
Wait, how long have they been locked up now?
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

Calantyr

• Recruit
« Reply #392 on: 27 September 2020, 03:28:19 »
M: "Tell me why we shouldn't have you all executed for being an existential threat."
C: "Try."
M: "Pardon?"
C: "Try to have us executed. Important correction."
M: "... very well. Try etc."
C: "Well... I can summon succubi."
M: "... we wish to offer you citizenship."
« Last Edit: 27 September 2020, 03:32:03 by Calantyr »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
« Reply #393 on: 27 September 2020, 07:53:52 »
I'm confused when did the dropship crew jail them?   I thought they were their respective guests.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #394 on: 27 September 2020, 09:34:19 »
I'm confused when did the dropship crew jail them?   I thought they were their respective guests.

Note where the interrogator says they were found. They aren't on the DropShip any more.

- Herb

Liam's Ghost

• Major
« Reply #395 on: 29 September 2020, 21:03:51 »
Not more than a couple of months ago, Hanse Davion had "enjoyed" the experience of prolonged narco-interrogation by agents of the Capellan Confederation. They'd tried to twist his mind, dig out his deepest secrets in order to replace him with a convincing double.

These reports made him wonder if the daring escape, returning to New Avalon, and revealing the double had even happened at all. Maybe that had been part of Max Liao's script, and he was trapped in some sort of prolonged hallucination or some sort of lostech computer simulation.

That almost seemed more reasonable than the alternative. Even so, if the Capellans had these sort of capabilities, he figured they wouldn't be so bad at utilizing them.

"So magic is real," he said.

"Doctor Banzai is insistent on calling it unexplained phenomena," Quintus Allard replied. "But it's the best explanation we have. The security cameras in Warehouse 37b caught their entry, and we can't find any evidence that the data was tampered with. A portal opens, they walk out, it closes behind them. Same with the powers she'd demonstrated with the interrogators. We can't find any evidence that was faked."

He sighed. "And I personally held a bag that weighed about thirty kilos even though it had close to a ton of solid gold coins in it. I watched them pour the contents out, and the weight of the bag didn't change. And they had a bunch of them. Bags inside of bags inside of other bags. The girl's backpack had a block of metal in it that was about five hundred kilos. There was no way it could fit, but it fit."

Hanse paged through the report some more. "According to the Taurian, they brought someone back from the dead," he said, almost involuntarily glancing at the small ferroglass sculpture that sat on his desk.

Quintus seemed to catch the subtext, but he didn't speak up about it. "And blew up a dropship," he said. "By accident. And terrified a Taurian military officer so much just because of the threat they represented that he tried to kill all of them. I think we both know how easy it is to do that to a Taurian, but he probably had a point."

It was subtle, but Hanse could hear the warning. Just the temptation could threaten my alliance with Katrina. "The girl and her friends aren't a threat," he said. "Not unless we make them one. If half of what we've learned about them is true, they're only staying in custody as a courtesy."

"But they aren't alone," he continued. "If one ship can find people from their world and bring someone back, others can too. She said she was looking for a vampire?"

Quintus nodded.

"Then we're going to be very accommodating with assisting her," he said. "In exchange, maybe she'll be able to take care of something for me."

His eyes weren't on the sculpture on the desk this time. No, as much as he wanted to, as much as it hurt to think about giving up on that, he had a responsibility to his realm, and to his enemies. His eyes instead were on the star map on the office wall, and that ugly little green splotch clinging to the fringes of his own realm.

Maybe it was the lingering affects of the drugs Max's agents had pumped into him two months ago. Maybe it was just anger over what they'd tried to do, but he found himself smiling at the thought.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Kujo

• Private
« Reply #396 on: 29 September 2020, 22:10:17 »
Hanse you may pine for what you knew with Dana Stephenson, but unknown future you have Melissa is so much better!!!! (of course we know about it :D)  I have no doubt that Chim will be overawed by the Supra-genius if a touch young wife when she arrives at New Avalon for the 'conception' of 'Victor'y for the 4th war, quickly overshadowing your mere genius ::)  You just have to do what it takes for the Federated Commonwealth!

great addition!
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #397 on: 29 September 2020, 22:30:31 »
Dana Stephenson has been dead way too long for the spells Chim knows to bring her back, iirc. even if the political issues didn't make it unfeasible for Hanse.

honestly i suspect that the NAIS will want to keep Chim and Dr. Banzai from interacting directly.. a meeting of two such minds tend to produce results that require 'minimum safe distance'

and maybe i'm just behind on editions but i thought bags of holding couldn't be stored matryoshka doll style like that, and that trying to place one object of holding inside another creates a rip into another plane, destroying both items and everything inside?

serack

• Lieutenant
« Reply #398 on: 29 September 2020, 23:17:48 »
if i remember right it was bags of holding and portable holes that did not get along

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #399 on: 29 September 2020, 23:23:28 »
Dana Stephenson has been dead way too long for the spells Chim knows to bring her back, iirc. even if the political issues didn't make it unfeasible for Hanse.

honestly i suspect that the NAIS will want to keep Chim and Dr. Banzai from interacting directly.. a meeting of two such minds tend to produce results that require 'minimum safe distance'

and maybe i'm just behind on editions but i thought bags of holding couldn't be stored matryoshka doll style like that, and that trying to place one object of holding inside another creates a rip into another plane, destroying both items and everything inside?

if i remember right it was bags of holding and portable holes that did not get along

A quick search of the Pathfinder SRD confirms this is the case for Pathfinder.  I don't have any D&D books to look through to see what they say in this regard.

Liam's Ghost

• Major
« Reply #400 on: 30 September 2020, 03:46:57 »
"So it occurs to me," Chim said, "that the reason you people keep going over the same stuff over and over again is to see if my story changes under repetition."

Captain Montrose shrugged. "So about leaving the nebula..."

"No..." Chim protested. "Really, no. I've been playing along, but that's really not a pleasant thing to recall."

"I know," Captain Montrose said impassively. "But the people you've been traveling with are Federated Suns citizens. If some of them are missing, we need as complete a picture as possible."

"Taken," Chim said. "They were taken. I tried resurrection. I tried scrying. I tried every spell I had access to. Whatever has them, I can't find them."

"How far can you see with your magic?" Montrose asked, seemingly more concerned about that than the fate of those crewmen lost leaving the Nebula.

"I was able to get a clear vision of the warehouse we gated to here, before we left the jumpship," Chim said. "I haven't found a limit, as long as we're on the same plane."

Montrose nodded. "That's quite interesting. Why can't you use that to find your sister?"

"She's permanently warded against scrying," Chim said. Even her alternate reality form, it turned out. "Believe me, I tried."

Montrose didn't respond immediately, seemingly distracted by the buzzing in his ear. "It looks like it's time to take you to new accommodations," he said once he concentrated on her again.

Chim didn't complain, quietly getting up and following as she was ushered out the door.

"What happened?" she asked, hoping the answer wasn't something terrible.

"New orders," Montrose said. "You and your friends are being moved to guest quarters."

"Oh," Chim said. At the other end of the hall, a man wearing a long coat and a brimmed hat was coming around the corner, somehow he caught her attention. "Why?"

"I just follow my orders," Montrose said.

The man in the long coat had reached a hand under it and begun to draw something shiny and chrome out when Chim realized that his aura was singing with some sort of strange alien magic.

She recognized the gun and shouted a warning, but before she could cast the stranger fired and her world went black.

-----

Captain Montrose heard Chim shout and saw her collapse like a sack of potatoes. As he turned towards her he thought he saw someone out of the corner of his eye, but when he looked back he saw the same empty hallway.

He toggled the communicator on his glove as he turned back to Chim. "Possible intruder and medical emergency outside Interrogation 7, I need security and a medical team!"

Abruptly, the girl's eyes snapped back open. "Ow, my head!" she said. "I haven't even done anything! Why do you people keep shooting at me?"

Her hand came up to her head, but she seemed startled to find it intact. "I thought he blew my head open. What did you even shoot me with?"

"It wasn't us," Montrose said. "I don't know what happened."

"The guy was right in front of us!" Chim protested. "If you didn't see him... oh Gods, what now?"

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #401 on: 30 September 2020, 11:00:14 »
What now? True Sight for the security personel. Also wards... lots of strong wards inside and around the compound. And not the wolf kind of Ward.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #402 on: 01 October 2020, 05:01:02 »
And other practitioners on the loose.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
« Reply #403 on: 01 October 2020, 09:50:00 »
Eesh, someone with taser going find themselves BBQ.  Poor Chim, she going hate the Inner Sphere by the time this is done.  That won't be good for NO body.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #404 on: 01 October 2020, 10:20:12 »
Eesh, someone with taser going find themselves BBQ.  Poor Chim, she going hate the Inner Sphere by the time this is done.  That won't be good for NO body.

"...and that's why I had to take everything over.  Now bark like a dog, Clanner!"
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #405 on: 03 October 2020, 14:59:48 »
A quick search of the Pathfinder SRD confirms this is the case for Pathfinder.  I don't have any D&D books to look through to see what they say in this regard.
looking into it, it is "handy haversacks, portable holes, and similar items." and the descriptions of those other two items list bags of holding as using similar mechanisms.

for D&D 5th ed the current ruling is "yes they are similar items"
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/84078/is-it-possible-to-stuff-a-bag-of-holding-inside-another-bag-of-holding
and the descriptions of the other items list bags of holding as triggering the effect.
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Bag%20of%20Holding#content
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Handy%20Haversack#h-Handy%20Haversack
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Portable%20Hole#h-Portable%20Hole
this has been the case since 3rd (when i last played the system) and apparently 2nd (it appears in the Drizzt novels)

looking at pathfinder, the wording is less dangerous (the destructive effect only happens with the portable hole) but putting an extradimensional container within another extradimensional container causes the ones inside to cease to function.
https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Bag_of_holding
https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Extradimensionality#Reactions_between_extradimensional_objects

so i guess that the story version is valid if using pathfinder, but for people used to D&D proper it'll feel off.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #406 on: 03 October 2020, 20:26:05 »
Looking at the description, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the "bags within bags" that don't change weight regardless of what's in them are some variant of the Handy Haversack. That would fit the description best, though its weight of 80 lbs is way bigger in scale.

Wouldn't put it past these folks to have tweaked it somehow.

- Herb

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #407 on: 03 October 2020, 21:52:03 »
Eh.  Once a spell caster gets powerful enough rules go out the window anyway.  Or your sanity.  Or both.

Yeah, probably both.

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #408 on: 03 October 2020, 22:35:39 »
Or they could be referring to the Belt of Many Pockets from Complete Arcane:

It looks like a belt, but a quick inspection shows there are 8 small pockets on it.  Each of those 8 pockets can hold up to 1 cubic foot, or 10 pounds.  However, each of those pockets has seven additional hidden pockets as well.  Total is 64 pockets, with a total of up to 640 pounds carrying capacity.  Anything stored in the pockets is considered weightless when the belt is worn, and only 1/10 its weight when the belt is not worn.

This is used to make the D&D Batman Utility belt

The backpack equivalent is here.  Essentially using the carrying capacity of a Handy Haversack to bring all sorts of odds and ends with you just in case you need it.

Still, the key thing Davion needs to be researching from them is making Prestidigitation items (i.e. a magical trap that can be constantly used).  These items allow using the Prestidigitation spell, with only a Use Magical Device skill needed.  This would allow Davion to see who can start thinking magically, and from those people select the ones who can try to be taught the Prestidigitation spell.  Those that can learn the Prestidigitation spell will practice, and try to develop other spells.  Some people might try to use their intelligence to figure it out, others might have the ability naturally, while others tended to grow up without eyebrows because they kept saying what's this.

Liam's Ghost

• Major
« Reply #409 on: 05 October 2020, 03:15:40 »
"Well you had a major brain bleed which probably should have killed you," the doctor said with astonishment. "The fact that you even lasted long enough to get to me was remarkable, or that you were even conscious enough to argue about it for that matter. But this?" She held up the sheet of paper that had amazed her so much. "No trace of damage, scar tissue, even the blood that was squeezing your brain is gone. And all she did was touch you."

"That's kinda how it works," Chim said, sitting back in the... bed? It was hard to classify it. It was like a bed, a big mattress on a frame like the ones on the jumpship (but softer and cleaner smelling). But the ends elevated at the push of a button, currently allowing her to sit comfortably in a reclined position. Did that actually make it a chair? A bed? A bed-chair?

After the incident with the individual that apparently nobody else saw, Chim's escort had taken her to the infirmary to be checked out. They'd shined things in her eyes, then stuck her in a machine that made an obnoxious whirring sound, then started panicking about this brain bleed thing they apparently saw on their monitors.

The woman that Chim was able to determine was a doctor was shouting things about emergency surgery when Celia had burst in, twisting out of the grip of a guard attempting to restrain her and forcing her way past the doctor and her assistants to lay a hand on Chim's brow. The healing magic quickly made Chim's headache and other symptoms vanish, as would easily expected by people familiar with a paladin's healing magic.

It took a bit more arguing to get the doctor to perform a second scan rather than skipping straight to cutting Chim's head open to drain the excess blood out and repair an artery that had already been healed. The fact that the machines they'd attached Chim to said she was actually improving was what finally sold the doctor (Celia's assurance that she would personally disembowel the first person to try to touch her mistress might have helped too).

But now here they were.

"So what's the secret?" The doctor asked. "It's nanotech, right? She touches you and injects a bunch of nanoscale robots that stitch up the injury?"

Chim shook her head. "I have no idea what that is," she said. "It's magic. Best way I can describe it is that she has a reserve of magical energy gifted to her by her patron diety which she can channel into people to cure their injuries."

"Well that just sounds like nanotech for people who don't know what nanotech does," the doctor said. "What about you? Can't heal yourself?"

"The source of my magic is different," Chim said. On the one hand it was nice to meet someone other than the jumpship's crew who was curios about her rather than terrified. On the other hand she couldn't help but feel a little condescended to with all this talk of nanotech. "My magic isn't gifted. I developed my own inante magical ability through practice and study..." she stopped imagining the offense Celia would take if she could understand the English they were speaking. "It's not like Celia took a shortcut. Keeping and developing a divine gift takes just as much work. But what you can do with those abilities tends to be very different. The divinely empowered excel at healing. People like me... well... it's not impossible, but so difficult it's just better to leave that sort of thing to Celia."

"Huh," the doctor said. "So what can you do with your magic?"

Chim sighed. "Answering that question has been getting me in a lot of trouble lately," she said. "And I'm feeling a little tired. Can I rest for a bit?"

The doctor nodded, even looking a little relieved. "Certainly, take all the time you want. A nurse will come in and check on you in a while, and if you need anything, just press the call button."

It was a bit of a fib, of course. Chim was fully recovered from the injury, but it was one that played into the doctor's nature, just like she'd hoped, and the room was quickly cleared. Even Celia consented to leave with a nod from Chim, leaving her alone.

"You didn't seem to care about witnesses before," she said, concentrating on a chair in the corner of the room, one that displayed a faint, but still familiar aura radiating above it. "They're still searching this place for you, by the way. It made me wonder if that's why you didn't try again now. I was wondering if you were afraid of actually getting caught."

The chair didn't respond.

"Nah, I don't think so," she said. "I don't think getting caught is possible for you, at least not by normal humans. You know, I thought you were an illusion at first, a phantasmal killer. Like some other caster somehow followed us or my sister somehow managed to figure out how to use a wand. But no. Big sis hates that stuff, actually lowering herself to understanding how magic works rather than it just doing what she wants. Not to mention she'd want to gloat before trying to kill me. I think it's a sibling rivalry thing. Anyway. No, you're real, I mean, here you are. But you have limits, don't you? Trying to kill me must have taken a lot out of you, so now all you can do is watch until you regain your strength."

Again, the chair didn't respond.

"You're welcome to try again, when you're feeling up to it," Chim said. "You already know I'm a lot harder to kill than you expected. But I don't think you know how hard. I've seen a lot of things that frighten me, but you aren't one of them. So the next time you're strong enough to do more than lurk in the corner, maybe you can try talking instead of shooting an ephemeral gun at me. Maybe we can be friends. Or I suppose we could stay enemies and the next time I see you I can rip your form to bits and scatter it back into hyperspace."

For emphasis, she flung a force bolt into the chair, punching a neat hole through it and seeing the aura ripple and disperse into nothing.

"Be seeing you," she said.

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #410 on: 05 October 2020, 04:31:31 »
Well...that's a thing. I know not what, but it is a thing.
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
« Reply #411 on: 05 October 2020, 07:29:54 »
Well...that's a thing. I know not what, but it is a thing.
Thing? You mean its a crawling disbowed hand kinda thing?

Calantyr

• Recruit
« Reply #412 on: 05 October 2020, 09:26:04 »
Everything is fine and dandy until the ghost learns how to possess a Casper drone.

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #413 on: 08 October 2020, 05:22:35 »
So, is Mr. Chair a character we have seen/read about before? The shape changing Daemon/Devil maybe? The strongest of them can assume whatever form they desire... but the different nature of "The Planes" compared to "Hyperspace" is sure to throw a wrench into the cogs of it's power. I mean he was a rat before. Could be that it abandoned that form and, with the help Taurians, figured out a "shortcut" possibly to the new demiplane that Chim created within "Hyperspace". It would make "sense"(in a thinking with portal magic dimensions kind of way) that this would weaken it greatly... and is now reduced to a faint aura for some time.

Or I am entirely on the wrong track, and this could be something or someone new... but who or what?

By the way... Wrangler, how did you get "crawling disbowed hand" from "that's a thing"?
No offense meant or anything... but my inner Grammar Nazi forces me to say that "disbowed" is not an english word. The closest word I can think of currently is "disemboweled", and that one would make no sense related to a crawling hand. ???
I am just curious, there is again no offense meant or otherwise intended. I just want to find out what you were saying!  :))