Register Register

Author Topic: And I Feel Fine: Book III: Thunderclap  (Read 31611 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: And I Feel Fine: Book III: Thunderclap
« Reply #480 on: 15 January 2022, 00:27:46 »
Marvel Comics style clarification box: See book one to find out how Collin Stiles got himself in this pickle
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #481 on: 15 January 2022, 21:34:45 »
Marvel Comics style clarification box: See book one to find out how Collin Stiles got himself in this pickle

Colin Stiles doesn't show up in a Google Search  ???
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #482 on: 15 January 2022, 22:52:18 »
Colin Stiles doesn't show up in a Google Search  ???

You'll have more luck searching the Fan Fiction Forums, specifically in the And I feel Fine book one thread.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #483 on: 16 January 2022, 06:09:46 »

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #484 on: 16 January 2022, 13:06:30 »
You'll have more luck searching the Fan Fiction Forums, specifically in the And I feel Fine book one thread.

Typically a Google search of this forum works very well.  Instead I got a Colin from a different fanfic  :))

EDIT: Colin's bit starts on page 9 of the first book.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2022, 21:08:07 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #485 on: 16 January 2022, 23:25:04 »
Sakhan Osis couldn't give Collin any details about his new assignment. The Ilkhan insisted on operational security, particularly when it came to information passed by... that thing he kept as a pet.

Hopefully, she reasoned, Collin would find some honor in the task the Sphinx Raptors had been set upon. Possibly even a measure of revenge against the enemy that had caused his downfall. At the very least, he'd bring valuable experience and expertise to a supercluster mostly bred for suicidal obedience.

If he had to be sacrificed for the good of the supercluster, at least he could still find a way to serve the clan.

With that unpleasant matter out of the way, SaKhan Osis turned to her console and called up the laboratory section. "Scientist Geoff," she said to the man who answered. "Have you completed your evaluation?"

The scientist seemed hesitant. "To the best of my ability, my Khan," he replied.

Sakhan Osis noted that he did not immediately continue. "And your findings?" she asked irritably.

The enemy Collin had encountered at Melissia had not completely avoided losses. Two of the Black Phoenix jumpships that had escaped the system had done so with hostile boarding parties aboard. Though the boarders would overcome the crews of those ships shortly after, they had been trapped without a charged jump core surrounded by a significant portion of the Black Phoenix fleet.

They wasted no time in scuttling the ships they'd taken, but bodies were still recovered from the wreckage.

"All the subjects were female," the scientist said almost hesitantly. "Their natural build appears to be what the lower castes would describe as 'petite', though this appearance would be heavily altered by the considerable augmentations they carry..."

"I already know this," the Sakhan snapped. Initial examinations of the dead had already indicated the artificial musculature, thin dermal plating, and various implants. The scientist was repeating himself as though there was something he didn't want to say.

"My apologies," Geoff said. "We were able to note considerable physiological differences, beyond implants. Their muscle tissue and organs all show variations beyond what we could expect from normal genetic variation. I can only speculate without a live subject to experiment on, but I suspect even an un-augmented specimen would be significantly stronger with superior reflexes than a baseline human, and the specific structure of their respiratory system might allow them to operate even in a complete vacuum for extended periods."

Extraordinary, the Sakhan mused. Whoever this enemy truly was, they seemed to have exceeded even the Clan in the area of genetic engineering. "Could we incorporate such modifications into our own breeding program?" she asked.

Geoff once again hesitated. "Even if their body is somehow much more efficient in processing nutrients and calories," he said, "their warriors likely require a significantly higher caloric load than ours. The uterine cavity is also uniformly malformed and apparently non-functioning, which would make them incapable of free birth. Also, again, we have seen no sign of males..."

"Meaningless trivialities," SaKhan Osis said. "I asked a simple question, scientist Geoff."

The scientist almost looked terrified. "We cannot replicate them, My khan," he said. "I am prohibited from even making an attempt. To even discuss it on this channel..."

"Explain." Osis demanded.

"We completed the genetic sequencing of multiple subjects," Geoff said. "Each time, the report was automatically deleted by security blocks in the system itself. Parts of their genetic sequences are proscribed my Khan. Whoever created these warriors did so using technology and information that we are forbidden to even know about."

She now understood his hesitation. The clan had been fighting Society infiltration ever since the first War of Reaving, and they combated that through fear. Every lower caste knew that the watch was always monitoring them, always ready to pounce should they step out of line, and even their SaKhan couldn't protect them if the watch saw them as an enemy of the Clan.

Sakhan Osis knew she couldn't even ask the scientist if he suspected the Society in the creation of these warriors. He would be too terrified to even answer.

"You acted under my orders," she said. "carrying out a routine examination of an unknown enemy. The watch will understand you hold no blame."

But then... finding someone to blame was the order of the day, wasn't it? She knew that in the watch's eye, it might be necessary to eliminate the scientist and anybody else who might have seen proscribed research, just in case.

Not for the first time, Sakhan Osis wondered if the path they'd chosen really held salvation.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2022, 23:26:43 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Register