Register Register

Author Topic: another shot at a fantasy mixup.  (Read 9095 times)

Cannonshop

• Major
Re: another shot at a fantasy mixup.
« Reply #120 on: 11 January 2021, 14:43:32 »
Blackjack School of Combat site, 1330 hours...

Well, these Jade Falcons weren't shy about shooting back, at least.  Elizabeth used her rifle's camera to peek around the broken wall-section, spotting a Loki as it dropped a point of Elementals in the ruins of the former field building.  they knew I was coming. rattled in her mind.

"Second squad, Five suities and a Loke, one twenty meters northwest my position, anyone got beade?"

"Roger, beade lock. Permission to engage?"

"Take the shot."  she said.  The Clanners were looking for someone here too, because they spread out in a search pattern, then reacted to the sniper's shot.

Liz low-crawled her armor under the broken wall to where a shattered drain-outlet dribbled rusty water, stonked a rifle-grenade (40mm dual-cone shaped charge penetrator, 30 meter range, 5 meter hazard radius on detonation.)

Two Marine riflemen dashed across a broken parking lot, dropping into a crater in time to avoid synthetic lightning from the Clanners' support 'mech.

"mortar team up!"

"Make William Pay, over."

She popped up and aimed, squeezing the trigger and setting off the 7.92x68mm blank, thunking the antiarmor grenade at one of the Elementals bounding toward her, before rolling backward into the shadow of the broken drainpipe.

The Clanner suit tumbled over her and faceplanted behind her position as the other two members of her personal detail rushed from a crater to her side.

"check him." she said, "I don't think those can do more than stun the bastahds.  where are my IFV's?"

"en route Warlord, they were delayed by another group of enemy suits, plus two 'mechs, medium size, code book calls them 'Blackhawks'."

"Fair enough.  I want prisoners if we can take them."

"Ayeh mum...how about we make sure they don't take you first, ayeh?"  The Marine asked.

"Good idea." she nodded.

The Clanners weren't going to make that an option, if they were allowed any say, and the ground rumbled as the enemy 'mech dashed up on their position.

Elizabeth said a very, very, bad word, the machine looming over her with bulges full of fragmentation death on its legs.

"CLIMB!!" was shouted over the channel, and she rushed forward, and shot salvage lines up to zip-line up the sixty-five ton nightmare.

The machine dashed, it leaped high-hundreds of meters into the air, and came down, she held on, until the sappers on the legs set off their charges, and it tumbled down-tossing her into a broken building.

Which hurt a lot.

Liz struggled to her feet, as her boys and girls tore through the omnimech's armor until it's thrashes were halted, the cockpit broken open, and a 'mechwarrior in jade green pilot suit was being dragged to an IFV that had made it through the Clanner ambush.

Liz walked her suit to the same vehicle, noting the red karats in her lower vision-the blood price of ten of her men to bring this goliath down.

"Recover the bodies." she ordered as reinforcements moved to mop up the remainder of the enemy strike force.

she nodded to a Corpsman, "I'm fine for now." she said, "is the prisoner conscious?"

"Ayeh, Warlord."

Liz walked up the ramp of the vehicle, and sat down across from the POW, before opening her helmet.

"So..." she led off with, "I don't suppose you know a lot about the battle of Blackjack in Thirty-Fifty, do you?"

The enemy warrior stared at her, then, "you..are an orc!"

"Wow, put you up for a promotion, captain obvious. One of mine was here fourteen years ago.  another orc, he was able to pilot a battlemech and probably participated in the fight...I don't suppose you know anything about that, you're kinda young-looking."

"Why is that significant?" he asked, "What is the military value of a man dead for fourteen years?"

"Sentimental value, jerkwad.  I want to know.  I want to know about the battle, who survived, who died, and what happened to the bodies."

"I can not answer that." He said, "I do not have those answers."

"of course you don't...okay, you are a prisoner of war, you will be detained and treated with...I need to invent a better term than 'humanitarian' because we're not going to deliberately hurt you, starve you, torture you, or put you to forced labor, but you will be detained until such time as you can either be traded back to your nation in exchange for some of mine, or until hostilities cease and you can be repatriated.  You have the right to food, medical care, and protection from injury and abuse.  Do you understand this?"

"I...what? you are not going to take me bondsman-?"

"Not my way. You're a POW, kid, you're not going to be tortured or abused, you'll be returned to your own kind as soon as it's feasible, in good condition. do, you, understand?"

he looked ashamed, "Yes..."

foot steps at the hatch made Liz look around.

Archer Christofiori poked his head in, "It's not you, kid, it's her." he said, "Orcs consider 'bondsman' status to be slavery, and they hate slavery, Liz? I've been trying to get you on the channel, we need you at the Command post, The Jade Falcon Khan is calling...well, one of 'em.  Samantha Clees."

"Sakhan...secondary Khan, second in command of the entire damn Clan?" Liz was surprised.

"yeah. she's offering something for something.  If you're finished freaking out this young Clan Warrior? we kinda want you there."

"right." Liz looked at the young man, "Good talk.  once the Corpsmen finish checking you out, you'll be fed and given a place to rest."  she stood up, "I'm on my way, General."

The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #121 on: 11 January 2021, 17:45:02 »
Hmmm... no orcs in the OA?  ???

VERY interesting posts, that question notwithstanding!  :thumbsup:

And... Did you see my PM with the "Warg" quad BA?  I can give you stats now...

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 12 January 2021, 01:01:51 »
HQ site, Blackjack, LZ-01

Elizabeth was back in a skinsuit, using her greatcoat as a substitute overgarment.  She moved a little stiffly, getting out of the combat suit had resulted in finding a number of injuries, so under her skinsuit was a layer of bracing bandages holding her ribcage in place, and she had to use a cane to keep weight off a splinted leg.

"...This is what happens when you let the Navy play infantry on the ground." Adam cracked as she made her way into the CP's command van. "Did you find what you were looking for?"

"No." she said flatly, "So, the Falcons called?"

"We're letting them withdraw their defending units. How was school?" He asked.

"Not very educational.  Someone burned down the classroom, and it wasn't me."  she found a stool, and mounted it with a visible wince of pain.

"you going to be okay to continue?" he asked.

"I'm an orc...so probably." she temporized, "though I think I'll leave the 'imitating a bug on a windshield' act to the pros from now on. at least I didn't play the 'let's be stepped on like a cockroach' game."

"that game IS the worst." Adam said sagely.  "Your guys are holding POW's."

"Yeah." she nodded.

"I don't suppose you'll be willing to turn them over to me?"

"well...sure.  They're a resource sink and I can use the guards better in other roles, we're giving them back, Right?"

Adam sighed, "yes, Duchess, we're not putting POW's to work.  You know that offends their culture, right?"

"I don't care." She said, "Orcs don't take slaves."

The signals officer spoke up, "We've got signal, Sirs, ma'am.  The Falcon Sakhan on visual."

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #123 on: 12 January 2021, 03:57:56 »
Benjamin is part of the Federated Suns? That must make for interesting geography.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #124 on: 12 January 2021, 13:12:26 »
"...She offered us a deal.  A meeting on Blair Atholl,  a chance to end the war-or at least, a way to get the Falcons to back off while the Humans sorted out their mess.  I have reservations about this idea.  I have my doubts.  I voiced them, but we're going.  I can't help the thought that Archer, at least, will return to fighting the civil war despite his promises, he's...he has a personal stake. It is not about politics, except in the way that those politics harmed his kin, and I can't really blame him for that.  I intend, once this thing at Blair Atholl is done, to release him from his oath to stand aloof from the civil war.
Vengeance is, after all, a moral imperative, and if I don't, he'll find compromises and warp until he has no honor left trying not to break his word while breaking his word.  Humans don't have the discipline to honor some promises, and I understand that..."

-Elizabeth Ngo, "War Diary: Operation Audacity part two."

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #125 on: 12 January 2021, 15:33:55 »
Blair Atholl negotiations...

"...fourteen years, working with Honorable commanders whom have learned our ways and you still know nothing about us!!" Samantha Clees had, apparently, hit her limit.

"I know enough." this is the problem with aggressive, strong personalities with unyeilding natures in a negotiation.  "Your ancestors cleverly shifted the burden of a system built on slavery so that the owner is the state instead of an individual, but it's still slavery."

Things were degenerating fast.

"YOU backed off of Hot Springs!"

"I can't free people who choose to be slaves!"

"They are not SLAVES!!"

"What do you call it then, when they can be traded and won like a pocket of coinage? When a Person is Property the definition is Slavery!!"

Archer looked at Adam, "Should we step in or something...to salvage this maybe?"

"do you want to try?" Adam asked sotto-voce, "get between them?"

"someone's going to need to." Archer said, "This is going to go south fast."

"OH? and your precious horde isn't yours, I guess? Hypocrite!"

Elizabeth's tusks were exposed in a gap as she struggled to control her urges, her upper fangs were revealed as well, pupils contracted to pinpoints, a brownish flush in her cheeks.  "They're volunteers.  We don't conscript."

This made the Falcon SaKhan hesitate.  "What?"

"We. do not. Conscript." Elizabeth said slowly, "every soldier, spacer and pilot in my Horde is a volunteer, even the humans, they volunteer for training, they volunteer for assignment, they can leave at any time they so choose."

Archer looked at Adam, "Did you know that?"

Adam nodded.  "Thorin's a long way from Kowloon, Archer. not just in light years, culture too."

"How do they prevent desertions?" Archer asked.

"they don't." Adam said.  "The training, the discipline, all that? you can quit any time for any reason, and people, even Orcs, do-they always have more volunteers than slots, it's cultural. They wash out anyone who'll quit before those people get to a line unit."

The argument continued, but neither woman was reaching for a weapon, and neither woman was making an open threat...unless you count Elizabeth's dental exposures as a threat.

"Duchess?" Adam spoke up at a pause for breath between the two.

"WHAT??" she turned on him, still baring fang and tusk, seemingly on the edge of a Rage.

"Uh, we're enjoying the display of intercultural philosophical discussion, but...there's an objective in play here? Hm?  Millions of lives involved?"

she closed her eyes, and took a deep breath.  "Right...you're the general, it's your show sir,  I...need to get some space and air."

"Please, do."

she walked out of the meeting area without a further word.

"Despite the Warlord's objections, the Lyran Commonwealth is willing to accept your terms, SaKhan." Adam said formally.

"It would be so satisfying to teach that girl a lesson or two." Samantha Clees said, bringing her own temper under control.  "But, we have duties to perform.  Will the Horde be involved in joint administration?"

"Probably not." Adam confessed, "I know a little bit about their people, we want this to work."

"Well, other opportunities may appear then." Clees said calmly, "Joint administration, live-fire combats to sharpen our respective forces and provide an outlet to the Clan for new warriors, and the current border with the Commonwealth is locked in place, no more 'massed liberation' attempts by your side, or ours until the Truce of Tukayyid is expired."

"That's acceptable."

"You will need to send good units to fight here." she specified.  "I do not suppose I can specify including Horde units."

"I can't speak for them." Adam said, "at least, not on that subject, Only a confirmed Archon can order her to send forces here, and my impression is that once the national border is stable, Elizabeth will likely withdraw her troops to the immediate neighbourhood around Kowloon, at least until the Civil War is over."

Samantha sighed again, "We can find other ways.  They are, I am told, quite challenging opponents, even with radically inferior equipment. a shame you can not promise to have some here for our sibko graduates to sharpen their claws on...but still, the terms are acceptable to both sides.   This would almost be complete."

"Almost?"

"The Orcish Reservation, it is technically an autonomous entity within the Lyran state? Limited autonomy?"

"Yes, kowloon is technically a semi-autonomous protectorate."

"I wish to reserve the right to conduct limited activity in that system.  To establish a...diplomatic presence for the Clan, at a future date.  No more than an enclave."

"Oh, good luck getting her to consent to that!" Adam shook his head.  "An actual archon could give the okay to that, I'm just a General."

"Then, I guess we will wait for a conclusion to this civil war of ours, to breach the subject, but under the terms, I want the right to reserve a challenge for it, to be coordinated with your government if it stabilizes, the incursion in that case would not be in violation of the accords, provided the land-claim won is small."

Adam thought about it, and then...

"It's your funeral.  I'll accept the inclusion in the Accords, but your Clan will need to contact the Archon of the Lyran State to secure a date, time and determine specifics."

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #126 on: 12 January 2021, 15:57:21 »
Outside...

"You going to be okay?"  Archer Christifiori asked, concerned, "You were pretty on edge there before-"

"I'm fine." Elizabeth said, then motioned for him to follow her to an MKT with Kowloon's Orcinus Orca (Killer Whale) markings.

she knocked on the door, "Have a meal with me, Archer. We don't know each other but there's a topic that we need to discuss."  The door opened, and a human in cook's whites stood in it.

"Number six, 37 degrees Celsius, no charring." she said.

"Ayeh mum."

"What's-"

"And a steak dinner for General Christifiori." she added, "Make his medium, with baked potato."

"Aye mum."

she turned, "good food is a key to victory..." she led him to a folding picnic table as the cooks got to work.

"What's a number 6?" he asked.

"Raw meat...with lemongrass." she told him.  "You're right, I almost lost it in there and realized I haven't eaten much in the last thirty six  hours, she pissed me off too easily and now I want comfort food."

"So...'comfort food' is body-temperature steak served bloody?" he asked.

"Hey, my ancestors were still hunting and gathering when yours were perfecting agriculture.  different digestion...not what I was aiming for."

"What's the big topic."

"When you and Adam showed up at my door, I made some demands." she said, "Made you promise something.  It wasn't right, it wasn't fair, and it's not right for me to hold you to that."

The stewards arrived with Archer's steak dinner, and Elizabeth's raw meat and uncooked herbs.

"To stay out of the civil war." He said.

"That's the one.  You can't, and I forgot that even humans respect vengeance in the name of kin as a moral imperative." she said, "It was immoral of me to make you give that oath, and I want you to know, you're released from it, no penalties."

"I could use the help, Liz."

"I won't commit to that, but I won't stop any of my people who want to join you." she told him.  "I won't withold permission or demote anyone, won't drum them out of the service, Hell, I won't even cut their pay-but anyone who joins, you better treat them right.  I don't want to get stories of orcs going blood rage because they were shorted on their rations, you feel me?"

"I can dig it." He replied.

"Then you're released from your oath, we're neighbours and friendly, but that's it." she stated.  "Officially, the Horde is neutral to the affairs of the human government, but unofficially, you've got my permission to recruit from Kowloon...but my terms are firm-no open-ended contracts, nobody is compelled to stay if they want to leave, and all dead are to be returned home for proper burial rites.  It's the same terms my ancestor gave DeChevalier and Kerensky in 2769."

"I can live with that." he said, adding, "I can honor that..." he took a bite of his steak and looked away as she tore into her own food.

Watching a starving orc tear into a section of animal haunch, breaking bones and ripping through hyde with her teeth was disturbing on a visceral level at first, but then, Archer steeled his  nerves.  If I'm going to bring Orcs into the war with me, I'm going to have to get used to this.

after a few moments, he found his own appetite was fine, and he continued to eat with her in near-silence.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2021, 00:07:42 by Cannonshop »

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #127 on: 12 January 2021, 16:12:58 »
Watching a starving orc tear into a section of animal haunch, breaking bones and ripping through hyde with her teeth was disturbing on a visceral level at first, but then, Adam steeled his  nerves.  If I'm going to bring Orcs into the war with me, I'm going to have to get used to this.

Should be Archer, I believe.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #128 on: 12 January 2021, 16:41:29 »
Should be Archer, I believe.

I'm thinking CS needs a nap. Liz explained what a #2 is, but she ordered a #6.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #129 on: 12 January 2021, 19:04:17 »
Cannonshop is going to Cannonshop... he'll sleep when he can.  8)

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #130 on: 13 January 2021, 01:47:26 »
...the writer's curse..

Sleep when you're dead, always write when the muse flows. 
Type until the blood flows, always write when the muse flows.
Curse the editor, asleep in his bed, always write when the muse flows.
And when they come to take you away, scream the story of when the muse flows.
-sjs

my muse is a fickle B.  I've nearly 500k words in 3 different stories, and not a one published.
they just aren't right and SHE keeps putting new scenes thru my skull.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 13 January 2021, 10:54:38 »
Overview: The Civil War's progress, 4th Quarter 3064-3rd Quarter 3065...

The cessation of hostilities along the Falcon border had little impact on the progress of the civil war through the rest of the Commonwealth.  The fact is, the Katherinist loyalists had numbers, financial support, and equipment, but with Adam Steiner's announcement of neutrality and Morgan Kell's announcement in favor of the Victorist cause, the Kathrinist forces largely lacked effective leadership, operational skill, or a coherent and cohesive doctrine.

Especially after Nondi Steiner repeated Katherine's edict that Neutrals were to be considered as traitorous as the pro-Victor camp.

Wiser analysts might have pointed out that, at the moment of that announcement, the sum total of the Lyran Commonwealth (Kathrinist) home fleet were four Fox class and one operational Mjolnir, none of which were positioned to support the others, and Margrave kell alone had access to a decent chunk of Clan Wolf's pre-split fleet...

which is maybe less of a problem since holding the line against Clan Wolf's Crusader half was still a priority for the Arc Royal Defense Cordon and most of that Wolf Fleet had pre-existing damage.

Less certain, was that this judgement was made without considering the other Lyran fleet...the one whose home-port is Kowloon, the one that has been in almost constant operation as a combat organization since 3055, and while nobody would call a Sampan Longship a galaxy-shaking battleship, some of those have 'battle stars' from successfully engaging Jade Falcon warships in deep space combat.

It was, perhaps, a significant error of judgment to suggest that The Horde is in rebellion.  It was certainly a greater lapse to send the LAS Yggsdrasil with a collection of assault dropships and air wings to suppress the Kowloonese and arrest the Duchess of Kowloon.

One, admittedly powerful and advanced battlecruiser against Thirty Six light corvettes, hundreds of aerospace fighters, and hundreds of smallcraft, all crewed by well trained veterans.

the boarding action, friday morning, took most of the morning.  by evening, the LAS Yggsdrasil was in the repair dock at Boojum shipyard, and the crew were being detained on an island in the Mekong Sea.

Search and rescue for stranded loyalist aviators would take up most of the following week.

HPG point-to-point, Kowloon to Melissia...

"...not going to execute people for doing their duty." Elizabeth promised, "we just...stopped them from doing it to us."

Adam sobered a little, "What about the ships?"

"Repairs for the ones we can fix, then I guess I hand them to the Theater Margrave, which...is...You." she said, "I mean, it's a nice starship, there are some things in the design that could be better, a few design options they took that they shouldn't have, but over-all the Iggy is a nice boat...It's just not up to our spec, too much spent on too few, costs too much to feed and care for, and it can only influence one system at a time.  For what they spent building her, we could build another squadron of Sampans.  I can loan you a flag crew that can run it for you-I don't think it'd be hard to find people willing to take up that banner, not with them trying to invade us."

"but you don't want it."

"if I keep it, I have to explain why I didn't give it back." Liz said bluntly, "Horde's got to be self-supporting, and it's too much ship to support, a ship like that needs a nation to keep it going, plus we don't have a spare, so losing it would hurt, if I intended to keep it."

cklammer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #132 on: 13 January 2021, 11:25:10 »
A wise orc knows her limits in moderation ...

:D :D :D :D :D

Euphonium

• Lieutenant
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #133 on: 13 January 2021, 11:40:34 »
And besides, the Horde beat it once already...
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #134 on: 13 January 2021, 12:48:30 »
A wise orc knows her limits in moderation ...

:D :D :D :D :D

"Besides we can pack most of its effective firepower into our new Landmark Class pocket Cruisers."

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #135 on: 13 January 2021, 19:44:30 »
And besides, the Horde beat it once already...
This... SO much THIS!!  8)

kioras

• Recruit
« Reply #136 on: 13 January 2021, 19:57:19 »
"Repairs for the ones we can fix, then I guess I hand them to the Theater Margrave, which...is...You." she said, "I mean, it's a nice starship, there are some things in the design that could be better, a few design options they took that they shouldn't have, but over-all the Iggy is a nice boat...

It is one of the best post Clan Invasion warships, obviously planned out before nuclear-tipped missiles were a serious concern.  It is a tough design which makes boarding it the only real chance the loonies had to capture it or use nukes on it.

Also obviously made using Lyran graft, 3 different NAC systems on it, 2 different Naval PPC systems, probably with different manufacturers too.  7 different Capital weapon systems total, the only shock is that there is not a large mix of normal scale weaponry.

Besides the Loonies don't have the manufacturing in the system to support the weapon systems locally.  The idea of Greenskins also controlling a Battleship would likely freak out others in the Alliance anyways, better to repair and turn it back over.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #137 on: 14 January 2021, 09:39:41 »
Boojum 3, Horde Naval Station, Kowloon system, July, 3065...

"He bought it?"  Alicia Li asked. 

Liz nodded, "Do we have a volunteer crew to ferry it out to Melissia?"

"Ayeh, what are we really going to do about the survivors?" Alicia asked, "Some of those guys are guilty of some pretty dark shit, Warlord."

"Dark shit, but not on our territory."  Elizabeth stated, "They'll be repatriated eventually.  We detain them on the Island for the duration, it's secure, they don't have a means to leave it, we don't have to spend money on locks and security systems to keep them in, and if some of them get froggy, the wildlife will deal with 'em."

"What if they get off the island?"

"Well, that whole chain's uninhabited."  she shrugged, "They'll spread out, maybe learn how to build boats and survive, good training for when they are returned to the Commonwealth.  Thing is, if they want medicine, processed food, or recreational items they'll stick to the main island and wait for supply drops.  anyone determined enough to make good on their escape would've gotten out of a prison anyway, and resourcefulness is a virtue that should be encouraged."

"You know, Liz, you're a half human." Li pointed out, "you don't have to...that is...you shouldn't be so obsessive about traditionalism."

"Traditions work." Liz stated.  "If dad had been more traditional, I might've been born full blood instead of by C-section, mom might not have been so unbalanced she tried to kill me twice if she'd been an Orc instead of a human."

"But you ARE half-human." Alicia insisted, "You shouldn't be rejecting that so hard, it's...not right. They're part of you too."

"I know." Elizabeth said, "all the nastier parts of me, the petty vanities, the hatreds, all those nasty human elements that Grandfather..." she huffed a sigh, "You wanted to see me about something other than my screwed up heritage."

"Yes.  We finished the engineering studies, we can built something bigger than a longship now, and it will come in below the budget you gave."

"is that with the capabilities I defined?" Elizabeth asked.

"Yes."

"How big?"

"Two hundred thousand tons, about fifty thousand smaller than a fox but with a broadside nearly equivalent to the Molly in the repair dock-and with a smaller crew."

"I hear a 'but' in there." Liz said, "What's the catch?"

"The broadside armament is reliant on turreted systems super firing, it can't mount much for dropships, and the power-grid's heat distribution is going to be kind of shitty, means we need to run weapons that generate minimal heat in the main and secondary batteries."

"That's not a bad trade." Liz noted.  "We can actually build it?"

"It's within our capabilities."  Li stated, "Without significantly crippling any other major build programs."

"Funding could be an issue." Elizabeth frowned, "Hard cash is necessary to feed the economy."

"Well...there are lapsed licenses on some commercial jumpship models, and we've got patterns..."

"this is where I put on my 'human hat' and go sell jumpships to shipping companies, isn't it?"

"Yeah."  Li said, "Maybe get...some actual humans to do it instead though?  You've gotten, pardon my saying, quite...raw of late."

Liz knew it was true.  "I have, haven't I?  Okay, I'll contact Grandfather's lawyers and see about finding intermediaries to sell commercial jumpships through."
« Last Edit: 14 January 2021, 10:57:28 by Cannonshop »

Andras

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #138 on: 14 January 2021, 10:32:02 »
Wouldn’t that be 50,000 larger than a Fox?  Fox class is around 240kt right?

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #139 on: 14 January 2021, 10:56:36 »
Jade Falcon High Command, Sudeten...

"Nobody else wants this mission?" Star Colonel Nathan Roshak scoffed, "is that what you are telling me, quineg?"

"Aff. Nobody else wants it." Samantha Clees said, "You were the first Star Colonel to step forward, and so far, the only one to step forward."

"The objective is extremely limited." Nathan said, "But the challenge of the task should be enough.  savashri..." he shook his headm, "no-one wants to put our mark on the Orcs...that blows my mind.  YOu would at least imagine someone would want revenge..."

"it is not cowardice." Marthe Pryde interrupted, "it is that the objective is...undesirable? nobody wants to be stuck trying to pacify a nest of Greenskins."

"Nobody else." Nathan said.  "I will do this, I want this.  I am simply shocked that so many of my colleagues do not.  There is a built-in challenge there, since we will be taking and holding only a portion of the planet, the warriors deployed there will gain a lot of experience...and will need experienced leadership to carry this off."

"before I let you have this mission, I want to know what you intend to accomplish." Marthe stated, "What is the long-term goal for it?"

"In my words...right."  he paced, "First, by placing a Clan force in the middle of their home territory, we anchor the Horde to Kowloon, no more free-ranging assaults or deep raiding, because they will need to guard their home ground-it will also dis-incentivise the Lyrans from calling them in when their own human forces are insufficient."  he held up a finger,  then added a second, "Secondly, They have a lot of very bad stereotypes associated with what the Clans are, and in particular, what Clan Jade Falcon represents.  By occupying part of their world and forcing contact, we can dispel some of the nastier myths about Operation:Revival, the Exodus, and especially the nature of Clan society, and third..." he added a finger, "It gives us the opportunity to demonstrate our superior society in a way that will weaken resistance on other fronts when we resume the invasion.  Fourth..."  he raised his pinky,  "Fourth, WE do not know enough about them."

"And?"

"Fifth, it provides a second channel politically and a boost to our Clan's ability to gain resources and apply them,  having a market and a meeting place besides Blair Atholl serves the Clan's long term interest in pacifying the region so that the reconquest of Terra can be carried out with better focus and fewer useless delays...and finally?"

The Khan and SaKhan looked at each other, then Marthe nodded.

"FINALLY, she raised and organized a corps level force with integral aerospace and transport, and was able to not only deploy it, but do so effectively across a wide front.  General Kerensky used a Kowloonese Horde to liberate Terra from the Usurper, if we are to fully re-establish the Star League, one of the stronger moral arguments we can make, is honoring a promise long abandoned." he stated, "One of the reasons they hate us, is that our ancestors promised to protect their autonomy, then abandoned them-their words, not ours." he said, "Clan Jade Falcon is in a position to take up and honor that pact, and Orcs are as bound up in their own bizarre code of honor as any people in history-we can win them over, and they will be useful in pacifying the recalcitrant Traitor Lords...so why is it that I am the only Star Colonel...besides you, SaKhan Samantha Clees, who recognizes this as a valuable mission?"

"because unlike many of your peers, Nathan, you actually think these things through." Marthe said harshly,  "You will need to find others among the Touman who also think these things through.  This mission is as political as it is strategic or tacitcal, and you will not be given assets the Clan can not readily replace, do you understand, Quiaff?"

"Aff." he nodded, "I understand. When?"

"As soon as we have confirmed that the Lyrans have ended their civil war." Marthe stated.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #140 on: 14 January 2021, 10:59:18 »
Wouldn’t that be 50,000 larger than a Fox?  Fox class is around 240kt right?

BLECH!!! TYPO!!!  The 'landmark' equivalent for this setting is early, and smaller. so yeah, I goofed on the mass.  It's 200KT instead.  (Mass corrected). 

The 'future' version will be stretched and increased in size to 300KT, but that's a 32nd century innovation, if they last that long.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #141 on: 14 January 2021, 11:38:03 »
"Clan Jade Falcon is in a position to take up and honor that pact, and Orcs are as bound up in their own bizarre code of honor as any people in history-we can win them over, and they will be useful in pacifying the recalcitrant Traitor Lords...so why is it that I am the only Star Colonel...besides you, SaKhan Samantha Clees, who recognizes this as a valuable mission?"

"because unlike many of your peers, Nathan, you actually think these things through." Marthe said harshly,  "You will need to find others among the Touman who also think these things through.  This mission is as political as it is strategic or tacitcal, and you will not be given assets the Clan can not readily replace, do you understand, Quiaff?"

"Damn it!  Of all the times for the Clans to put someone in charge that can think!" -Warlord Elizabeth Ngo, during the Jade Falcon Trial of Position for Hue.

cklammer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #142 on: 14 January 2021, 12:34:54 »
Smart Jade Falcons are still better than the (later - I believe) Mongol versions ...

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #143 on: 14 January 2021, 12:38:14 »
Wotan, August 11, 3065...

Star Commander Mark Jade Falcon was disciplined, talented, and focused.  He was NOT available for the Kowloon mission, but he WAS available for Nathan's research.

"Have a seat, Star Commander." Nathan said, "You were adopted from the Blackjack student warriors, quiaff?"

"Aff sir." Mark replied, "what is this inquiry about, if I may know, Ovkhan?"

"You were in the same class as Cadet Henry Ngo, quiaff?"

"Greenskin Ngo? aff."

"Says you shared several classes with him.  what was your impression?"

"He was...dedicated, Star Colonel sir." Mark said, "Henry kept fighting to the end, he did not go down...It was...It was ugly, sir, how he died."

"What was his relationship to you?" Nathan asked, "Be honest about it, there is no reason to gloss over the matter."

Mark frowned and closed his eyes, "I hated the son of a bitch." he said, "Most of us did.  I know it is not...appropriate, to express racial prejudices, Star Colonel.  I have learned to better myself, but when I was a cadet?  Hated him, and not for any meritorious reason, I hated him for being different."

"I see, what about your classmates?" Nathan asked, "were your views common?"

"I thought they were." Mark said, "on reflection I know better now.  Henry did have friends.  You might find a few are still alive, he even had kind of a...an almost girlfriend, Shelby Hoffenstein, I believe she goes by 'Shelby Jade Falcon' now, but I have not kept up on her assignments or career, so I do not know where you might find her-she was as close to him as anyone in our class...is this about his mean little sister showing up on Blackjack last year?"

"Aff."  Nathan said.

Nathan dismissed the young officer after a few more minutes of conversation, and headed for the Intelligence section.

It took him five minutes to find where Shelby had been assigned.

Facility Laundry, Firebase 22, Leskovic

"Shelby! You are wanted at the Personnel office!"  The Merchant Supervisor barked.

Laborer Shelby finished piling the sheets into the 1000 liter hot-washer, wiped her hands, and walked past her colleagues.  "ooh, in tru-bulll!"  Lara, her second shift partner, chanted.

"stow it ja? of course I'm in trouble.  all un-clanlike and stuff." Shelby said with a malicious gleam in her eyes.

The fat merchant supervisor wouldn't have come down to the floor without someone pushing him, she was certain.  Trouble would also be a certainty, and she covered up the fear and teh anxiety by exaggerating her hip-sway and fixing a mocking grin on her face. 

The office assistant just waved her past two Elementals standing guard over the break-room that doubled as an office for the facility.

"Holy shit." Shelby didn't stop it from coming out in time.  A Star Colonel was sitting on the super's desk. Not at the desk, but on it.

"Shelby Hoffenstein, Blackjack cadet.  demoted to laborer due to injuries, you look healthy."

"Neuroburn." she said, "I'm not reliable enough for service as a tech, and a neurohelmet will kill me." she answered, "Which you already know since you're holding my file."

"aff. long disciplinary history here.  It is amazing you managed not to do anything worthy of summary execution." he said, "Given the number of marks on your record."

"I'm good at my job." she said.

He snorted. "Yes, you are...I have a different job for you." he told her.  "Something more in line with your actual talents, but I want to ask you a few questions first."

"That contraband was there when I got assigned to the room." she said defensively.

"I am sure it was not." he said mildly, "Sit down,  This really is not about your stash of intoxicants or misuse of work-credit, or the books.  I want to ask you some questions about someone you knew."

"you want me to inform?"

"No." he said, "The person in question is dead. One of your Classmates, Cadet Henry Ngo."

She winced visibly, a brief expression of pain before she mastered her face.

"you were close." he stated.  "So you will do nicely for my purposes."

"What do you want to know?" she asked, a little bit of broken in her tone.

"Everything about him...and then, you are coming to work for me directly." Nathan told her.

"Why?"

"because you will help me bring him home." Nathan told her.  "Your other physicals have been good, you maintain your muscle tone."

"I work hard." she said, "Keeping in shape on the limited rations we get is better than letting my body go."

"Then, you will be tested as infantry." he told her, "It is a solahma post, but it has to be better than second shift laundry and day labor on a road crew, I could just keep you as a laborer in the support role, but for the job I have in mind, I prefer not to have to hunt down my assets because some other warrior did not want to wash his own socks."

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #144 on: 14 January 2021, 14:35:03 »
Smart Jade Falcons are still better than the (later - I believe) Mongol versions ...

This might actually make sense.  The loss of the smart Jade Falcons to Kowloon left only the Mongol types available to trial for Khan

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #145 on: 14 January 2021, 18:57:34 »
I can't really imagine the Horde answering any Jade Falcon attempt at Kowloon with anything other than a fusillade of nukes about 20 seconds after they jump in.  Now, if they wanted to BUY some property, they would be welcome, but NO sovereignty on the reservation.  Kowloon is for the Horde, and NOBODY else.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #146 on: 15 January 2021, 14:08:38 »
Snark IV-a moonlet orbiting the outer gas giant in the Kowloon system...

Among the children of Earth, Orcs have, perhaps, the worst record for innovation.  Where you find Orcs referred to in connection with science, it's usually as test subjects, such as their use in tracking the effects of cyanide gas prior to its employment on the battlefields of the First World War, or their use as 'near human' replacements in the bikini atoll bomb tests.  Peacewise, both the Soviet Union and the United States sent up Orcs before they let a human ride a rocket into orbit for the first time.

Nobody respects Orcs as scientifically gifted or as intellectual.

Elizabeth watched as crews lowered the next segment into place, and began the precise alignment.

"Wow, you said it was going to be big, Your Grace." Evvie Mosovich commented, "This is what you've picked for your hobby to keep out of the civil war?"

"It was." Liz said, "We're not going to be allowed to be neutral, but I see no reason to stall our advancement.  This installation will set new records, the largest pure-research science structure ever built.  a Laboratory tied to a University, and all done by Orcs and goblins."

Liz turned to her designated heir, the human baroness of Golden Lake district, though if anyone had looked at them outside their suits, Evelynn would be the one who looked less...human-the doctors botched reconstructive surgery so badly after Tamar that then-Hauptmann Mosovich had to be medically retired from the AFFC.

"With SOME human help." Evelynn commented.

"Yeah, you're right." Liz grinned, "Some help.  How do you change the world?"

"One bite at a time." Evelynn opined.  "what's this going to do, anyway?"

"Investigating some of the theories implied by Kearney and Fuchida's mathematics-the parts that they don't consider to be more than extreme hypotheticals unworthy of research." Liz quoted, "The stuff UW Donegal laughed at Great Grandmother for proposing." Liz said, "kind of my personal '****** you' to the scientific and academic establishment.  It's easier than arranging exploration missions, and doesn't cut into our 'must pay' budgets."

"I wish Pat could see you doing this." Evelynn said whistfully.

"If Patrick were here, I wouldn't be the Duchess or the Warlord, I could go hop on a jumpship and make for the back of beyond to seek out new things instead of worrying about people fighting over old things." Liz cracked, "but he isn't."

"I miss him. If I could trade-"

"Pat would say it's a bad trade, Evvie. He loved you." Liz snapped, "He played Horatius so you could get out."

They shared a silence over the suit comms, and then, Liz added, "I'm looking for someone to fix your face so you can have a real life."

"WHAT??"

"you heard me.  Those barbers and butchers uglied you up pretty good, Evelynn, you don't deserve to be lonely just because you're my brother's widow-he wouldn't tolerate that, and I won't either, so...I'm going to find someone who can give you back your face.  You'll always be family to me, and I would be a poor relative indeed if I didn't pull out the stops to help you move on with your life."

eriktheviking

• Recruit
« Reply #147 on: 15 January 2021, 14:25:13 »
Great writing as ever, with the added novelty of not recalling this reaction to Evelyn before. I remember the Clan contempt for the surgery, but I don't know if anyone came up with suggestions for remedial surgery or a relationship after Patrick.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #148 on: 15 January 2021, 17:11:23 »
January 3066, Zaniah III...

There are strings you can pull, and then, there are ropes that change the stage completely.  Commander Giao Pham followed a national hero to the surface.

Morgan Kell was getting good use out of Kowloonese Volunteers-in this case, a 'loaned' Horde transport jumpship with a marine complement and embarked fighter wing, bringing him to Zaniah III to visit...and recruit, someone who can settle the civil war.

At least, the Lyran part.

"Peter."

"Morgan."  The two men faced each other at the entrance to the hall buildings.

Giao tracked them, and she tracked the Marine security team that was watching for possible hostiles.

"The realm needs you." Morgan stated, "Katherine is an absentee landlord, and Nondi is both incompetent, and tearing the nation apart in the face of an invader we just barely stopped.  We need an Archon, not a paranoid regent."

Peter nodded, and then, he noticed Giao.

"Horde troops, Uncle?" he asked, "Things must be bad if Kowloon's sending people to take a side."

Morgan kell waved her over.

Giao walked up carefully, avoiding the weaker parts of the path in her armor, and lifted her visor, temporarily losing the augmented reality display.

"Sir, I'm a volunteer.  We're still neutral-but that doesn't mean a whole lot when the Regent is sending warships to Kowloon because we are Neutral.  Sir."

Peter licked his lip.  "I've been a pawn my whole life." he said, "I don't- I mean..."

"Sir, with all due respect to your rank, sir." she said, "My people have a deep institutional memory of what that feels like, it might be nice to have a leader who remembers what that feels like, what it means, and why it's wrong, sir."

"You think I can do that?"

Giao steeled herself to tell the lie...and then shuffled it away, might as well take the plunge.

"Margrave Kell thinks so, My Warlord has already demanded that someone sane show up, if you raise your banner, the Horde will follow, all the way to Tharkad, all the way to restoring sanity to this nation before it's totally ruined.  Let me be real and clear for you, Sir."

she took her helmet off, and set it on the ground, then opened the chest plate of her armor, and climbed out.  standing on her own feet under that endless horror of open sky, she said, "You're the only arrow we've got-you aren't the one who abandoned his duty, and you're not the one who abandoned her nation for a throne on New Avalon.  YOU haven't put lunatics in charge or starved the soldiers standing guard.  You are the only one who can do this job.  It sucks, it's not fair, but humans need their leader to be sane, to be here for them, to lead.  If you lead, if you stand up, and raise the banner and end this insanity, I know my Warlord, the Duchess Ngo, will stand with you, that the great general Adam Steiner, will stand with you-because you don't want the job for power, you don't want it to be important, you don't want it, but you can do it."

"and what do you want?" Peter asked her.

"I want to go back to my ship, okay? I want to go back to hauling cargo, and arguing with port-masters and watching for cheats who think a Goblin as a ship's mistress is a fine joke, I want to go back to bitching about taxes and shorting my shore time because I really hate being dirtside, I can't enjoy those things as long as my potential customers are killing each other over a chair."

"My god...how bad is it?"

"I have evidence that Katherine planned the murder of your mother, Peter. I'm sorry." Morgan said, "but I have the evidence now."

"She's unfit to rule, Highness." Giao added, "WE won't follow her, nobody has volunteered to fight for the Katherinists.  Some of us have joined Archer's people, some have joined other anti-Kathrinist forces or volunteered to help hold the line in the Arc Royal cordon, but none of my people will follow a blood traitor.  Especially one that hides where none of my people can go."

"let me think about it." Peter said firmly.

Giao nodded.  "I understand." She glanced at Morgan, "Margrave, may I wait in orbit now? the site is secure."

Morgan nodded.  Giao hurried back into her armor, and walked it back to the landing pad.

Peter watched the Goblin-piloted suit amble back to the shuttle.  "That is a lot of trust." He said after a moment.

"I trust you."

"No, Morgan, that girl, the Goblin-girl, she expressed a lot of trust for her kind." Peter clarified.  "They don't plead for things like that, not normally, and never ask someone to take charge that isn't one of their own."

"Then you understand how dire things have gotten, don't you?" Morgan told him.

Peter looked miserable. "I guess so."

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #149 on: 15 January 2021, 17:35:01 »
Sometimes, the best person for the job is someone who doesn't want it.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030