Register Register

Author Topic: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium 2.0: expanded premises!  (Read 26387 times)

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
Re: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium 2.0: expanded premises!
« Reply #240 on: 12 September 2021, 20:38:31 »
#732  Project World Unrecognizable.

In 1947, the world was rocked by the news that Joseph Stalin, dictator and General Secretary of the Soviet Union, had died.  His successor was a black horse, who came to power on a raft of promises and deals that would relax the girdle of the command economy, while also preserving the authority of that same command economy.

As a result, the Soviet Union does NOT collapse in 2015, but rather launches the Asteroid Miner Ship Vladamir Lenin propelled by four titanic nuclear lightbulb rockets.  When the Lenin returns to earth and unloads gold and platinum, it single-handedly crashes the market for both metals.  The SU does not die-and Earth is never unified.  Forget the succession war-how does the difference of two power blocks instead of one change the colony race, and the post-colonization governments?

The 21st century SU isn't exactly a sunshine and lollipops communist state-they've got Social Credit Scores for every citizen, an omnipresent surveillance panopticon, and their economic policy veers between heavily subsidized and grant-driven to Project-Cybersyn 3.1 central economic direction.  That said, they take guarantees about 'no homelessness' and 'no starvation' seriously, though your goverment provided job might be to wait in an apartment for six months until conditions are right in Siberia to go dig holes with a shovel (holes are 95% practical, and will not be filled in by another work crew.  This is actual construction work.)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2021, 20:48:54 by Vehrec »
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #241 on: 12 September 2021, 21:21:03 »
38 more months, man!  I have to discharge my duty to the Nation first!
Then u get your ship and become a pirate  I mean a freelance merc for hire   ;D
#732  Project World Unrecognizable.

In 1947, the world was rocked by the news that Joseph Stalin, dictator and General Secretary of the Soviet Union, had died.  His successor was a black horse, who came to power on a raft of promises and deals that would relax the girdle of the command economy, while also preserving the authority of that same command economy.

As a result, the Soviet Union does NOT collapse in 2015, but rather launches the Asteroid Miner Ship Vladamir Lenin propelled by four titanic nuclear lightbulb rockets.  When the Lenin returns to earth and unloads gold and platinum, it single-handedly crashes the market for both metals.  The SU does not die-and Earth is never unified.  Forget the succession war-how does the difference of two power blocks instead of one change the colony race, and the post-colonization governments?

The 21st century SU isn't exactly a sunshine and lollipops communist state-they've got Social Credit Scores for every citizen, an omnipresent surveillance panopticon, and their economic policy veers between heavily subsidized and grant-driven to Project-Cybersyn 3.1 central economic direction.  That said, they take guarantees about 'no homelessness' and 'no starvation' seriously, though your goverment provided job might be to wait in an apartment for six months until conditions are right in Siberia to go dig holes with a shovel (holes are 95% practical, and will not be filled in by another work crew.  This is actual construction work.)
Sound like Twilight 2300AD setup with Russian taking the role filled by the French, still being a American/Western Arm and maybe a Asian/African arm to replace the Chinese
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #242 on: 13 September 2021, 23:56:23 »

As the five Successor States fragmented at the end of Second Succession War, First Prince Michael Davion re-established the Marches, covering the Federated Suns' flanks with loose alliances of local lords who might not bow to New Avalon but will accept Davion support so that they aren't subjugated by outsiders.

A century later, the Draconis March is protected by the mechwarriors of powerful lords within the March, such as the New Ivaarsen Chasseurs, and the mechwarriors of House Davion, such as Chisholm's Raiders. And some, such as the Robinson Rangers, are in the uncomfortable position of being both as they struggle together against the warlords of House Kurita.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So something of an AU, but with a ground-level perspective with small detachments from several commands sent to defend the same world. Egos flare and the outside threat is quickly rivalled by conflicts among the defenders.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #243 on: 14 September 2021, 09:26:33 »

In 3042, at the age of 12, Victor Steiner-Davion, son of Hanse and Melissa, was out riding, and fell off his horse, leaving behind ten year old Katherine, 7 year old Peter, 5 Year old Arthur, and 3 year old Yvonne without their oldest brother, and leaving Hanse without his first born son.  The needs of the realm decide some things, and one of those things, is that Katherine had to choose a service when she came of age in 3048, rather than her mother's initial plan of letting her daughters choose civil service.

After all, Katherine is now the Heir to two realms, and one of those realms demands military service.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #244 on: 14 September 2021, 09:52:17 »
Katherine, the Social General. Shed probably join the infantry like her mother and match around in a fancy uniform

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #245 on: 14 September 2021, 09:54:22 »
Katherine, the Social General. Shed probably join the infantry like her mother and match around in a fancy uniform

but would that actually feed her ego?  Kate chose the direction she chose, because her parents didn't raise her to be the heir, Mel wanted a civil servant, with Victor being the warrior-but now, Kathy would have to be the Warrior, and infantry isn't a prestige job.

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #246 on: 14 September 2021, 10:39:40 »
Melissa was infantry herself. She certainly didn't see it in a bad light.

I think it might also humble her enough that she doesn't become who she was later. Personally this is why I think Katrina made Melissa enlist as infantry. Initially she was probably a spoiled rotten only child

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #247 on: 15 September 2021, 05:42:15 »

War against Unity Part 1

I don't know where they came from and I hear the eggheads are still trying to crack this secret. We didn't get much communication from deeper Periphery even before the HPGs fell silent, there was a talk of some merchant jumpships who plied their trade on the outside reaches vanishing, but that was attributed to the pirates. And anyway, we were too busy butting our heads with Fedrats to notice anything going in other direction, like people over there getting fed up with being let to nonexistent mercy of the pirates. It was only when a guild chartered jumpship arrived from the Carthage with the news of invasion by an unknown forces, that our leadership sprang into action. After lengthy discussion that is. Probably talked themselves into believing that Fedrats were coming from the behind.

Since the scant data indicated quite sizeable forces, the whole unit was sent, with additional aerospace and infantry assets. All of this took time of course, so Colonel estimated that the main cities of the world would have fallen by then and wisely decided to land us at some distance, while also opting to take some nuclear weapons along, for unforeseen anti-ship needs.
And this is why Commandos are still on the Taurian Defense Force roll.

We were challenged at the Nadir jump point by a combat dropship that reportedly did some really crazy manoeuvring before it was destroyed by nuclear missiles. And as our flotilla set off for the Carthage itself, it got chased down by the assault dropship guarding the Zenith jump point, against which our fighters expended their last nuclear missiles. The fact that we faced two combat dropships of an unknown class, capable of sustaining suicidal G-forces, rang alarm bells amongst the command, so colonel made a last day change to a landing zone further in the wilds, setting down on the Agera plateau, an arid, rocky piece of real estate, whose only feature of importance is a bauxite mine, with only one connecting road to the lowlands. A defensible area, but we could easily get bottlenecked there as well.

As the force was entering the atmosphere we broadcasted the a short appeal, declaring us to be TDF unit, sent to help the population against the invaders.

Reply was short: ''This world is a part of the greater union of the humanity. Your presence and aggression are unwarranted. Depart immediately.''

The pronunciation was absolutely grating, I have no idea how the speaker could have butchered in such a way. I mean, I had no idea back then.

Colonel demanded the invasion force to identify itself, but got the same reply. We caught their broadcasts to the population afterwards, however these were however the only words they had for us. But then, weapon fire is the best method of communication when dealing with abominations like this.

There was fighter clash and our guys had their hands full despite numerical superiority. Another bad omen.

See, I was just a simple mech jock back then, so I didn't hear what they found at the mine, my first personal notice that these weren't just some random weirdos from out there, was when my recognition book couldn't identify their scout tanks we encountered after descending down the road. It was obvious those weren't some slapshod thingies from a village workshop, but top of the line stuff, operated by guys who knew their job. They gave us a lot of trouble but we took down several, with the rest retreating to the sensor envelope edge. We got the orders not to pursue beyond the unit threshold and I could tell some guys were chaffing.

So we spent approximately half a day sortying out, to push the scouts away and returning to the line. Then we noticed increase in the opposite ECM emission and within moments there was enemy force within range, charging us with minimechs* and APC carried battlearmor, again nothing in the recognition book. They were fast and nimble, making it difficult to hit them, but most of the company had jump jets, so we were able to keep them at distance, leading them into cauldron, as our comrades collapsed their flanks. Bastards took only a moment to split into two groups and charged both flanks, hitting our boys up close with quite a few of those damn mech tasers, their fiendish battle armor swarming over disabled mechs and tanks. We tried to shoot down as many bastards as possible and managed to save some of our comrades, while others were carried away by the battle armor troopers. They retreated faster than we could follow, leaving us in control of the battlefield, shaken and quite stirred. When I zoomed on the empty cockpit of Eugenio Rasmas I couldn't help to notice the lack of blood or scorch marks. Was he pulled out alive? I could very well imagine why someone would want live prisoners, but looking at their casualties, strewn around, I couldn't understand what commander would be willing to pay such price for some information.

We received order to pull back to the base of ascent as soon as trailers moved knocked out mechs and tanks back to our dropships, while we also dragged as many destroyed enemies to our new positions as possible. Bastards were now a continuous danger, probing our perimeter all the time, skittering away when our fire became too heavy, only to try again elsewhere, we were covering for each other, so we could catch a little bit of sleep, something bastards seemed not to need.

Finally the order came for us to retreat back to the plateau, with our company forming the rearguard. Our ever present opponents didn't fail to notice this and pressed us hard. We did our best to stay just out of the range of their mech tasers and not run after our comrades at top speed. I was well aware of where my sidearm was all the way up that winding road. That is until our artillery opened up. I must admit, it was handled masterfully, but they still pressed on, despite their casualties, until they reached the position of our fire company at one of the serpentines, combined weight of our artillery and heavy mechs convincing them to pull back. And we were ordered to pursue. I can tell you it wasn't exactly the most spirited chase on our side and bastards tried to counterattack us three or four times, we mostly managed to stay out of their tasers way, with artillery increasing its toll but, but Skulky did get tazed, we managed to hold them back from snatching him though. Captain stopped pursuit at what must have been the edge of effective artillery range and we dragged some bastard remains back to the new main line, with our striker buddies taking care of Skulky.

We got stood down at the laager, where exhaustion finally caught up with me, I could have slept so much longer when they woke me up for the meal, but such is soldier's life, never enough sleep. There wasn't much banter at the tables, we downed our food and coffee as quickly as we could and moved to the debriefing, where we were informed that we would rotate between being operational reserve and security for laager and the mine. Also if anyone wondered, all the ruckus few hours ago was from the major push up the road by the bastards. Judging by their faces, everybody else overslept it as well.

Two days later, Gawain Jones, yeah I reckon you heard about him, warned us that that he spotted some mini mechs climbing up the plateau. My lance was in the QRF and we raced to the point warned as about, catching the bastards before they could disperse.

They climbed the plateau at other points as well and we were chasing them for days as they mounted hit and run attacks against us, while also probing our positions at the road. After detachment guarding the mine got hit hard , we stripped the place of everything we could use and abandoned it, concentrating on the laager and the road. And after all that happened afterwards, there are still some armchair generals calling out colonel for ''surrendering initiative'' to the bastards. ****** 'em, he was right and if they hold such strong opinions how the snatchers should be fought, then they are welcome to volunteer for combat duty and put their high flying ideas to practice. We were running low on ammo soon enough, especially for our artillery, so we had to call it quits. We packed everything but tents into our Dropships then carried out a textbook fire and maneuver retreat to the LZ. As I was running towards our Union I actually saw Jones deliver the last batch of refugees with his Skyhopper. I couldn't understand why he flew away though, by the timetable I was given we were mere minutes from liftoff. We actually wired the question about him to the colonel's dropper and I guess we weren't the only ones as the answer was a general message. That brave, mad fool. His family was on a Dropship, he could have gone with them, but instead he chose to stay and help those who were still in hiding in the wilds and couldn't be evacuated to our LZ. I sometimes daydream how we will kick the snatchers off Carthage and we will greet Jones and all the people he saved there and it will be all worth it. But it's a faint hope and getting fainter and fainter. For him and everyone left behind.

*Sort of ProtoMech, but Taurian soldiers wouldn't have that name on the tip of their tongues, so when somebody in the Concordat Commandos blurted minimechs into radio network, it was picked by the rest of the regiment and it stuck. All later attempts by Inner Sphere to enforce proper nomenclature failed.
Shoot first, laugh later.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #248 on: 15 September 2021, 05:53:22 »
War against Unity part 2

Preliminary report of the Provisional Interdisciplinary Research Department of the Taurus University

Abstract​

As the Clans invaded Inner Sphere, almost 90 years ago, it was feared this was an alien invasion and it was a great relief to all involved that it wasn't. With this invasion came the same fears, but realization that these foes are humans is downright horrifying. While Clanners are still human, with their elementals and aerospace pilots still look approximately like members of Homo Sapiens species, these ''Unitarians'' have abandoned all pretexts of looking like humans.

The technology they utilise is nothing special, almost everything could be replicated easily by our industry. It is the operators of these machines that cause such consternation, making it understandable why those who first seen them thought them to be alien creatures, as even scientist with decades of experience have a hard time accepting the fact that these are, our, shall we say cousins? Operator of each type of unit was genetically modified in order to best fit the role, with very little genetic variety within individual roles. Point has been raised that this might be still an alien invasion, using such foot soldiers as cannon fodder and while we can't fully disprove such notions, it is of little dispute that extent of genetic modifications and cybernetic enhancements is fully within capability of Star League tech, no aliens needed. Not all Star League exiles followed Kerensky after all.

It seems armor and protomech pilots are grown similarly, with biggest difference probably in the brain itself, as demands of piloting a protomech are different from those of armor, however both phenotypes are devoid of any bodily function not related to piloting through direct neural interface, so basically they are but a brain with support organs. It seems there is possibility for removing them from their rides fairly quickly, but this action probably demands special tools that Commandos were not able to capture.

Battle armor troopers still have all of their extremities, but they are completely fused with their armor. While armor and protomech pilots could probably be removed from their machines alive, there is no way to remove trooper from his armor, without killing him and wrecking the armor.

All three phenotypes are hooked into support system providing them with nutrients, supplements and behavior controlling chemicals along with direct stimulation of andreanal, pituary and pineal glands.

We assume that fighter pilots and dropship bridge crews are similarly ''optimized'' for direct neural control of their machines and tolerating higher G-forces. We will be able to learn more when TDF captures examples of these units, same with mechs.

Most of their machines utilise lightweight ECM units and are capable of broadcasting much greater stream of data than usual military communication systems, indicating wide scale networking, which would partially explain their accuracy and reaction times.

------------------------

We were sent to Burton in order to establish forward defense beyond the borders of the rump Concordat. Diplomats smoothed matters somewhat before we deployed, we got multiple lengthy debriefings on proper relations, but it was still tense. Many people there believed this was but a ruse for armed takeover of the world and many of our guys were sore about people of the world supposedly betraying the Concordat in its darkest hour. Weird how these hours seemed to be consistently the darkest throughout entire Concordat existence and yet I happened to notice sunlight on most days. Me, I consider myself a levelheaded thinker and I tried to keep out of it, but captain decided that I, being such a swell guy, am the perfect for the role of intermediary, smoothing the relations between our guys and the militia. It did wonders for my popularity with the colleagues, it's a small miracle I wasn't made a guest of honour at a blanket party.

Anyway, the idea of joint training with the militia didn't go so well, we were close to shooting on multiple occasions, so eventually we got separated, with us given shitty accommodations in some backwater, with plenty of room for training, locals trying to scam us with damage claims notwithstanding. Apart from usual dynamiting of dead cattle, some crafty bastards even got some infantry SRM launchers to shoot up some clunkers they towed near the training range, trying to make it look like we blew up brand new vehicles. They would probably start blowing up deceased relatives if the devil didn't take joke. Well the Unity, but then, there isn't much of a difference, isn't it?

There was a lot of speculation on how many units their dropships carried, we reckoned they surely made some savings with their non-adherence to creature comforts, but they were still subject to basic laws of physics so it wouldn't be too big of a difference and they wouldn't outnumber us by too large margin. Especially once our fighters took their toll with anti-shipping missiles. This seemed to elucidate them on the state of affairs on the world, so while they broadcasted their droning ''peacfully join the unity'' speech they took several hours in orbit before landing considerable distance from Burtondown.

Mixed militia battalion went with us as we advanced towards enemy LZ and we pressed them hard, they soon gave up on attempts to capture our units and switched to ranged skirmishing, delaying us long enough for their dropships to escape, then it all devolved into running fight through wilderness. We knew from scientific report that bastards could go without rest for prolonged periods of time, perhaps even weeks, but their equipment needs maintenance just like ours, so we tried to wear them down by keeping them on the move, while identifying and eliminating whatever technical support remained with them. It was quite grueling fight they were always ready to pounce at any sign of weakness, many times our boys had to run so they wouldn't be overwhelmed, not always successful. Our flyboys found and blasted their support vehicles and we finally had them on the ropes, but then the second wave arrived.

This was larger contingent than the first and had more aerospace fighters so our flyboys couldn't touch them, but we quickly pushed towards their LZ and tried to open way with some Alamos. Well, it turned out they had nukes as well and weren't shy about using them. We fell back towards Burtondown and tried to hold the line on the Chemie river, but the relentless bastards pushed as back in matter of days. We were holding the final hills before Burtondown when Gordon's Armored Cavalry arrived and together we threw the ****** over the Chemie river. We didn't cross it though, as we really needed rest and machines needed repairs. And by the time we were ready for offensive again, the third wave arrived. So it was on the Chemie river defense line that we first encountered zombies. We thought it was just infantry that was like this, but then our lance blasted a Stinger on our side of Chemie. I saw infantry boys prying the cockpit open and flicked the radio onto the frequency of the infantry company we were with and could hear the report to their captain. My mind went to the Eugenio's empty cockpit. Did they snatch him to turn him into one of these things? Is an empty shell of man he used to be somewhere out there as cannon fodder for Unitarians? The realization that they could do this to you was not something I needed. I promised to myself back on Carthage that I'd shoot myself rather than let them capture me and after encountering zombies some people started carrying hand grenades in addition of sidearm. After that Stinger we all found a way to scrounge a hand grenade, with Hare pilfering a satchel charge somewhere. I was jealous, I really was.
We were holding them back but it was doubtful Defense Force could scrounge more reinforcements for us while Unitarians were getting them albeit at increasing intervals, so the atmosphere was rather glum. We learned when Gordons arrived that our diplomats were laughed out of Sian and Canopus, despite the evidence of abominations they brought along. There was even a talk about sending delegation to Federated Suns, but we doubted our government would go that low, bastards would probably demand Pleiades in exchange. I think it was first time I heard Dogass saying something more than just ''Yes Sir'', when he droned during the lunch how he hopes that if Canopians and Crapellans threw us to the wolves, the maybe at least Fedrats will see the reason. Normally such unpatriotic behaviour would warrant severe beatings, but no one amongst us had in us to do it anymore, we were just to weary. I think I said something about how we will see zombies dancing flamenco before we would see their assault guards riding to our rescue, while captain told him to stop wasting hope on the hopeless and finish his food. We were cracking.

Bastards got some three or four waves of reinforcements before they managed to breach our defenses on Chemie, pushing us steadily towards Burtondown. They tried several swift maneouvers, but we always kept some reserves and managed to cut off and wipe out several of their vanguards, so they settled for gradually pushing us back and wearing us down. I became aware of the plan that on the final defensive line command would pull parts of both regiments, along with as many civilians they could cram into dropships and try to break out to jumpship at pirate point. Rearguard would fall back to factory where remaining civilians would be gathered and with assigned nukes enact Masada option. I hoped I would be assigned to the rearguard, I didn't want to be the one who leaves people and comrades behind. Though being dead on my feet might have impacted my thinking.

We were on the same hills as when Gordons arrived when history repeated itself. Well, it didn't exactly repeat itself, it more rhymed. I heard it was a magnificent sight, seeing that many dropships in the night sky, but I had my eyes only for the snatchers who tried to push us off the hills, so they could get in the missile range of the LZ, probably to nuke it. We held the line, I don't know how, but we did. I can't really tell you much about the fight, memory of it was is a blur for me, I only remember Skulky falling at some point, perhaps he blew himself when they came for him or he died when I and Dogass blew snatchers and the cockpit, we all promised not to let a comrade fall in their hands. I think my mech was in rather poor condition when we got the order for phased disengagement. And that the incoming friendlies won't show on our IFF. Still with eyes on the bastards I nearly jumped out of my skin, when Battlemaster came from behind me and Victor on another side, with whole lot of firepower being poured into snatchers, who tried to close in despite the suddenly much worse odds. I think they have problems with sudden changes of situation. I turned and walked my mech to our camp like I was on autopilot with my sleeping bag being my only thought. Bastards could be problem for someone else for a while. My chain of command actually had a decency to let me sleep, but then they probably hit the bag as well.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #249 on: 15 September 2021, 06:00:35 »
War against Unity part 3

I was kind of miffed when I was told that I was to attend presentation by NAIS on the whatever the Bulls brought with their diplomatic mission. It was above my pay grade, but I was the lowest ranking officer with high enough security clearance that my department could find, as the idea of Bulls seeking aid from us was simply preposterous. Seriously, if Cappies told them to pound sand it couldn't be too serious.
Ah to be young and oblivious again.

The NAIS representative was about to start the presentation when the hungover First Prince with gaggle of sycophants in tow, delaying it until they got settled, chit-chatting like a pack of spoiled brats they were. So I tried to focus on what the boffin was saying and didn't notice that the running commentary by the upper-class delinquents behind me has ceased. It seemed that the boffin was winding down towards conclusion of presentation when our leading light decided that the issue most pressing to him should be cleared up, namely whether this is a work of aliens. It took me all the will power I could amass on such short notice, not to facepalm. Boffin tried diplomatically to explain to him that they had no evidence that there any aliens behind this, which the Prince in turn took as evidence that they didn't have evidence that aliens are not behind this, with boffin extracting himself from the argument with the skill of an veteran of academia, ceding the argument to the First Prince. Thus everyone at the presentation was dragooned into planning group for defense against the aliens, reporting directly to the First Prince, or, if he was indisposed, to the his Champion.

And indisposed he was, because straight out of the meeting he hit his wine and booze stocks with gusto, embarking on perhaps the most epic drunken bender in the history of the Federated Suns. We did perfunctionary job, expecting to be sent back to our departments once he sobers up, but still we made outlines for four different options, so nobody could accuse us of slacking. Based on available information we came to believe that the threat is real and it's better for Federated Suns to get involved sooner than later, so we produced three plans for scalable response and one for full commitment. The problem would be selling the idea to our hidebound superiors. Or so we thought.

We were supposed to do presentation of our work to the First Prince and heads of departments, with me doing the talking. No pressure. Well, most heads of departments just sent their seconds and the First Prince was hour and half late, looking like he just crawled out of the gutter and put on a fresh uniform, without bothering to shower. He thanked the heads of departments for being there and when someone pointed that most of the heads are not here, he just angrily growled, now well known phrase ''All heads of departments are here!'', muttered something to Sandoval and then had me give him the short version. I had a slight inclination of which way the wind is blowing and by that I don't mean the odour emanating from the First Prince, so I skipped straight to the big option, which he green-lit halfway into my ad-hoc presentation, gave us all an unreasonable time-table to make it happen and then signed a bunch of paperwork that an aide rushed in with, retiring all non-show officers and promoting their present colleagues in their places. I don't think even Mad Kat did such an axe job in a single go.

So no shit, AFFS was in the middle of the biggest upheaval since Jihad, embarking on campaign in Periphery with next to no preparation, minimal intelligence on the enemies, our allies were the Bulls and I was made the poster boy for the organisational ****** that this turned into. Fortunately there were still some competent ranking officers left in the sea of mechwarriors-turned-military-bureaucrat. Swear to god all other branches take transition to staff posting infinitely better, at least the fear of axe made it a little easier to work with them. And Erik Sandoval was of great help, basically taking over for the First Prince, having him sign the needed paperwork during his increasingly rare periods of lucidity. This way we were able to roll back several earlier reforms that proved rather detrimental to AFFS as even if HPG network was functioning you can't have every little thing decided by the first prince, especially when he is dead drunk most of the time and had no intention of going anywhere near the enemy. Another problem was that Amanda Hasek sought to actively undermine the efforts and wasn't even subtle about it, we had route all logistics through Crucis and Periphery march and she made a massive stink over it in media, not shutting up even after Burton and Spitz. Death Commandos really did us favor there. Not to mention that Taurians could also be bloody prickly at times, never letting go of the centuries old grudges and acting like we were going to stab them in the back any moment. Although to be fair, Amanda Hasek planned just that.

Gathering together two RCTs and two LCTs, naval combat group and NAIS expedition, sending them to the edge of civilization is a considerable undertaking and so is keeping them supplied, not to mention scratching together reinforcements to form a second such task force (minus the NAIS expedition). At least I was spared participation in the committee that coordinated with Ministry of Ways and Means on how to best to ramp up industrial support of war efforts. And no, it wasn't me who came up with the idea to dig up every ARAM missile in our depots and deliver it to Task Force Thunder Child, but I did recommend Stevenson for promotion, for coming up with this idea. Anyway we were getting things done, despite all the obstacles, when the First Prince and his flunkies started moderating their alcohol intake, leaving him free to involve himself in the matters of the state again, with disruptive effect, so when the detailed reports came of victory on Burton came, we hoped that details of these ''zombies'' would send him fathoming the depths of his wine cellar again. Thankfully it did, because I shudder at the thought of damage he could have done in his semi lucid state when Dracs and Cappies struck.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #250 on: 15 September 2021, 06:19:18 »
War against Unity 4

Good news Beth, our first battle with alien invaders didn't end up with mutual destruction. Jokes aside, you will be probably devouring the tons of reports our team sent with this packet, so here is my overview first.

The way rumours travel you will probably get yelled at to provide information about zombies before the team even starts compiling provisional reports. In a way they really could be called zombies, as in the earliest version of the myth being brought into reality via modern technology. They are all living, breathing humans, implanted with the neural interface implants that are simplified version of those used by Unity ''regulars'', and have surgically grafted sacks with the behavioural chemicals making them unable to disobey their handlers. Remains of zombified Mechwarriors show more extensive neural implantation and what seem to be effects mutagenic virotherapy . There is no proof that zombification was done on any of population of Burton and so it seems it had been done on other captured worlds, with the zombies being brought in subsequent reinforcement waves. There are also no blakist style self destruct implants. One of the theories is that the zombies are but a stopgap measure until the Unity can produce sufficient number of their soldier phenotypes, indicating that we are racing against the clock. Whether this is ad hoc measure or part of premeditated plan it bodes nothing good for populations of conquered worlds. We captured lot of propaganda materials they had in store for their campaign of indoctrination, our humanities detachment is still digesting what they got, but the gist seems to be that instead of zombifying everyone they intended to gradually convince the population to abandon humanity as they know it and embrace depersonalization through Unity. Of course this is only what we can gather through limited selection of propaganda and education materials, as we still haven't cracked their own language.

Our computer experts are nearing breakthrough though, it seems the their networks run on old Star League operating system, with a fancy new interface overlay slapped over it. So far we were able to make basic simulacra of their transmissions and our electronic warfare experts believe we will be able to use our communication arrays to shot data packages down their field network, identifying their communication nodes and targeting them with homing Arrow IV salvo. Please use your connections to expedite the pre-production of the modified homing packages our boys are improvising here.

We finally got our hands on wreckage of their dropships and shuttles, the results are telling. Their spacer phenotypes are even more removed from humanity than Clanner Aerospace phenotype is and their dropships are built with this in mind, all areas outside cargo are basically inaccessible to normal humans, so to get to the bridge we basically had to cut our way through bulkheads. Which means in combat, the boarding action is next to impossible for us, but not for them, as they seem to be also operating a collection of captured dropships and jumpships, some of which they were also using in subterfuge actions, like trying to lure defenders of Burton to retreat to supposedly friendly jumpships waiting for them.

Observations of combat can be summed that these Unitarians can shoot better, react faster and coordinate much better than us, but their tactical acumen is lower than that of those mental dinosaurs that have been multiplying in the AFFS ranks during the last decades.

On technical side, they absolutely hate being on the receiving end of ECM interference and target any source of such emissions with rabid intensity, to a great consternation of those using them, but it also meant that we could successfully use such units as a trap bait, also to consternation of their crews. Stealth armor and Chameleon light polarization shield exceeded all expectation though, Unitarians have extremely difficult time hitting units mounting them and according to some troopers, they even resorted to walking the shots.

Of our experimentals, the Guard Suits proved to be an exceptional success it would do well to scrounge any Gray Death suits and upgrade them to this standard. Of course

PS

This thought has been troubling me for the last few days. If Clans are the product of soldiers trying to build a new society, could Unity be a work of scientists trying to do the same?
------

We were sent to New Vandenburg for rest and recuperation. In theory at least, as Magistracy sponsored raiders and terrorists kept us busy, when we should be preparing for the next battle against Unitarians. We lost several veterans of Burton and Carthage in these attacks, a heroes who stood against the nightmares and then died for petty ambitions of feted sociopaths. Not to mention that their propaganda was just blood boiling, declaring Unitarians to be a product of propaganda, that the Protector came up with in order to pave way for selling out to the Fedrats. Worst part was that there was no lack of idiots buying into that pile of rancid crap, guys from second company stomped one such ****** into emergency room when he called them traitors in the local pub.

I must admit I was a wreck and many of my comrades were no better, we were trying to pull ourselves together and for once our higher ups decided not to shit on us too much, sure there was mountain of paperwork to be done, but they didn't prod us much over deadlines or a missed comma in a paragraph and they eased up on garrison chickenshit for a bit. We slowly received replacements for our lost comrades and not all were Taurians. It seems that while the leaders throughout the sphere roundly ignored what was happening here, with Feddies somehow being the exception, some people decided that they must do something about it and traveled here, mostly via Sea Foxes, albeit some Feddie princeling, who was chasing tail around Lyran parts, managed to gather couple of regiments worth of these guys and bring them to the Suns, however they got diverted to fight the Snakes. The guys that made their way here were mostly Leaguers and Clanners. Leaguers seem to be born with hatred of cybernetics and when they heard of these emdee copycats, some decided that this would be more worthwhile cause than the traditional shooting of their third cousins, who wear insignia in slightly different shade of purple. Clanners, from what I learned, are bred to be warriors and trained from the moment they can crawl on how to become one, then 95% are discarded and those who make it into the lofty ranks are expected to get themselves killed gloriously before they reach the age of thirty, otherwise they are a disgrace to the human race. How these idiots managed to get foothold in the Sphere is completely beyond me.

Anyway, since there were some vacancies due to promotions I was made commander of the second lance, but since I was the most junior commander it meant others snatched Hare and Green, so I was left with three newbies; a kid straight from the training, a clanner washout and a clanner failure. Baby was a stereotypical new kid, thought he learned everything there is to know in the training and that he is the hottest shit since canteen overdid the chilli. Cube had a giant chip on his shoulders and really wanted to prove that he is worth of being a warrior, never mind the fact that we need soldiers, not warriors. Chief was actually really chill guy, he was eager to learn what it takes to be an asset to the unit and he was of great help when it came to teaching the youngsters the basics of common sense, even if I had to stop him from taking the ''beating the knowledge into the heads of ingrates'' to the literal level, despite being tempted to do it myself.

We did our best to train the newbies and the militia in anti-Unity tactics, which did not serve us as well as we might imagine, when Crappies invaded instead. Rely on limpers to do a naked land grab, while you are fighting off an existential threat to humanity. Probably thought us easy pickings since all the reserves were committed to the Unity front, with our regiment weakened and battalion detached to Landmark, but we were determined to hold until high command could send reinforcements, New Vandenburg is heavily fortified, with well trained and motivated militia, Crappy advantage in mechs be damned. They started broadcasting their as soon they came into system, claiming they came to protect the people of the world from Fedrat takeover, it was even more of murderous rage inducing than a Christmas music marathon. Command noticed that many of us were seeing red and warned us not to fall for Crappie baiting and also if given chance, Intelligence would be thankful for some prisoners.
PS. Blatant war crimes will be prosecuted.

We began skirmishing with them the moment they landed, goading them towards positions of militia, giving them a bloody nose couple of times. While tactics we were training the last couple of years were not exactly geared towards limpers, this particular Reserve Cavalry was crap and couldn't fight its' way out of a wet bag, relying on superior numbers to save themselves from disaster, venting their fury on several villages that found themselves in their way. Then the command came up with a brilliant idea. I mean actually brilliant idea. As I said there was no lack of idiots falling for Crappie propaganda, but once they came invading, most rallied around the flag, with intelligence sniffling out many of those who didn't, establishing a fake network that fed Crappies false information and for the coup de main they prepared a false uprising in the Industrial City to snare in the Crappies, who took the bait, hook, line and sinker.

I guess they must have thought themselves incredibly smart when they thought they were outflanking us through Escaro valley. Right until they hit the vibrabombs and we started pounding them with everything we had. Carcs actually showed some spine for the first time, wheeled right and tried to hit us in the teeth. We had better positions and were much more experienced, cutting them up really well, Cube singling out Sha Yu in his Stinger, getting the Crappie to overheat and forcing the fool to eject, while me and Chief battered a Vindicator and then sent packing Lao Hu that saved it. It seemed we will grind each other into oblivion but they lost nerve and fell back to long range, where our artillery was smashing them, with their retreat becoming increasingly erratic, bordering on rout, when their dropships landed further back the valley and provided them with a base to rally around. We didn't let it up though, we moved our artillery in range and started working on the droppers. As soon as they could get the engines going, they piled in and blasted off, leaving their remaining armor to cover the embarking and liftoff. Fighter boys got one of the Unions before it could leave the atmosphere though, quite the fireworks.

So we remained battered, yet unbowed and unbroken, trying to patch up the holes in our ranks. That cheeky bugger Baby actually tried to claim the Sha Yu that Cube brought down, because he is a true Taurian and his Stinger is a mess. After some light physical impulse routine I explained to him that it is up to colonel to decide who gets which mech and that Cube showed so far that he would make much better use of such mech than he would. The face he made is one of my most cherished memories.

Gordons were very much saddened at the news that we sent the Crappies packing before their arrival and were very much in favor of counter-raid to drive home the lesson that we are not weak just because we are at war with freaks of genetics and technology. This had to be cleared with high command first, so they were down with some joint exercises. Which in turn meant they were still on New Vandenburg when Unitarians came. We, the old hands were practically in shivers as their droppers were approaching, while Chief and Cube actually looked up to a ''challenge''. Clanner freaks.

I managed to cool down Cube when he got assigned the Sha Yu and explain him the differences in tactics that stealth armor brings and to his credit he followed it fairly well, his clanner programming taking over only couple of times. Baby continued sulking right to his near-death experience, which made him a slightly better human being. It was a hell of fight and we held our own against the freaks, all the neat little tricks we learned through blood and NAIS research really helping tilting the balance in our favor, despite their numeric superiority. That is until the Hussars arrived and with their fancy new tech helped us utterly bulldoze the bastards. Honestly, I feared it would be another desperate grindfest, like on Burton, but even if it was just us and militia we would be able to keep them away from mayor cities until reinforcements arrived, albeit at heavier cost. We improved a lot more than they did, but for how long?

Though it was frustrating to think that these damned bastards were singling us out for their attention and excluding everyone else, especially the Crappies and the C****, C2 as we called them. We were wrong of course, but we had no way of knowing that back then. Oh, and Gordons got denied permission to raid the Crappies, something about not wasting valuable resources. Well, Unitarians got those Carcs anyway.

Code: [Select]
NAIS Guard Suit
Type: NAIS Guard Suit
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown

Tech Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Chassis Type:  Biped
Weight Class: Light
Maximum Weight: 750 kg
Battle Value: 137
Swarm/Leg Attack/Mechanized/AP: Yes/Yes/Yes/No
</p>

Equipment                                     Slots      Mass 
Chassis:                                               100 kg   
Motive System:                                                 
     Ground MP:          1                               0 kg   
     Jump MP:            3                              75 kg   
Manipulators:                                                   
    Left Arm:            Battle Claw                    15 kg
    Right Arm:           Armored Gloves                  0 kg
Armor:                   Stealth (Improved)     5      240 kg   
    Armor Value:         5 (Trooper)                           

Slots         
Weapons and Equipment         Location (Capacity)   Mass
Machine Gun                   Right Arm     1       100 kg
Partial Wing                    Body       1       200 kg
Mission Equipment Storage       Body       1       20 kg

A proof of concept testbeds, some dozen of Gray Death suits were converted to this standard and used in various testings and afterwards handed over to NAIS security detachment.
Three squads of these suits were assigned to the Task force Thunder Child, originally to serve as security for NAIS field teams, but one squad was cleared for combat testing.
Finding a Taurian shuttle pilot who was willing to help some Fedrats commit an unorthodox suicide, the squad performed highly successful high altitude gliding insertion, causing considerable confusion in enemy ranks and exfiltrated without casualties. Later they played key part in hunting down Unitarian missile artillery units.

eriktheviking

• Recruit
« Reply #251 on: 15 September 2021, 07:32:09 »
#735 - This is great, much better than what happened in canon.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #252 on: 15 September 2021, 19:09:37 »
I'm thinking #735 might need its own thread.  I'll try to read it this weekend, because I just got home and don't think I'll have time tonight.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #253 on: 16 September 2021, 16:40:22 »

Moments after dying at the hands of her son, Katherine Steiner-Davion wakes up in bed and apparently in the body of an eight year old girl. After realizing she has been reborn as a Princess of a massive Empire in a fantasy world as well as being at the bottom in terms of being heir to the throne, Catherine Newmoon plans her ascension to bring Empress.

Unfortunately, she doesn't realize that her brother from her previous life, Victor, has also been reborn and is current heir to the Imperial Throne; also aware of his past life.

Thus their battle begins anew
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

wolfgar

• Lieutenant
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

MattV

• Recruit
« Reply #255 on: 16 September 2021, 19:48:14 »
Is this a specific game or visual novel, or just a generic one?

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #256 on: 16 September 2021, 20:30:34 »
please say the queen is Melissa
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

deathzealotzero

• Corporal
  • Mecha Guru
« Reply #257 on: 18 September 2021, 01:13:10 »

In 3042, at the age of 12, Victor Steiner-Davion, son of Hanse and Melissa, was out riding, and fell off his horse, leaving behind ten year old Katherine, 7 year old Peter, 5 Year old Arthur, and 3 year old Yvonne without their oldest brother, and leaving Hanse without his first born son.  The needs of the realm decide some things, and one of those things, is that Katherine had to choose a service when she came of age in 3048, rather than her mother's initial plan of letting her daughters choose civil service.

After all, Katherine is now the Heir to two realms, and one of those realms demands military service.
You know I have recently reread Valles Tell The World We Tried and the sequel, If We Turn To Dust so I cannot help but wonder what if this Katherine instead of say trying to become a Mechwarrior would surprise everyone by going into an Aerospace Track later going on to become one of the first of the new breed of Warship Captains as the Fox Class along with other new Warship designs starts production.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #258 on: 18 September 2021, 08:06:03 »
You know I have recently reread Valles Tell The World We Tried and the sequel, If We Turn To Dust so I cannot help but wonder what if this Katherine instead of say trying to become a Mechwarrior would surprise everyone by going into an Aerospace Track later going on to become one of the first of the new breed of Warship Captains as the Fox Class along with other new Warship designs starts production.
I know someone had a AU where she went that route
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #259 on: 18 September 2021, 12:03:15 »
Okay, I already proved I can't write it on another thread, so let's see you guys take this one on:

#737:  A Necromancer in the ilKhan's Court.

This one's got some rules to it to really make it work:

a) said maker/controller of undead is a nice person.  he or she actually cares a lot about other people.  The character needs a zero-angst approach, think  more

and Less

and put them in Alaric Ward's domain to see what happens.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #260 on: 18 September 2021, 12:06:45 »
Alaric?  My money's on "nuke it from orbit"...   xp

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #261 on: 18 September 2021, 19:42:21 »

I can see a couple things via this route.

1) The alternate fiction of Operation Serpent where Victor was going to board the McKenna’s Pride, instead with Katherine actually doing it because Serpent went soooo badly at Strana Mechty.

2) The scene from Endgame where Victor arrives at New Avalon and is fighting the ‘loyalist’ ships and the Admiral is telling him how space combat works. Imagine that flipped and Katherine is instead fighting the battle trying to explain it to someone else, Galen Cox perhaps?

3) where in the Jihad Katherine is in charge of CASE WHITE  and shows up at Terra with the ComStar fleet and finds WOB convert ‘zombified’ and enhanced Galen Cox manning the fleet against her and a sorta replay of where both Alan Beserick and her have to kill their best friend/significant other….

Just spin-off ideas

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #262 on: 18 September 2021, 19:45:46 »
I'm always for competent space combat, even if it involves Katherine.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #263 on: 18 September 2021, 20:06:46 »
I can see a couple things via this route.

1) The alternate fiction of Operation Serpent where Victor was going to board the McKenna’s Pride, instead with Katherine actually doing it because Serpent went soooo badly at Strana Mechty.

2) The scene from Endgame where Victor arrives at New Avalon and is fighting the ‘loyalist’ ships and the Admiral is telling him how space combat works. Imagine that flipped and Katherine is instead fighting the battle trying to explain it to someone else, Galen Cox perhaps?

3) where in the Jihad Katherine is in charge of CASE WHITE  and shows up at Terra with the ComStar fleet and finds WOB convert ‘zombified’ and enhanced Galen Cox manning the fleet against her and a sorta replay of where both Alan Beserick and her have to kill their best friend/significant other….

Just spin-off ideas

I'm not sure I could write these, but I sure wanna read them.
I'm always for competent space combat, even if it involves Katherine.

Register