Register Register

Author Topic: Battletech Drabble - Basic training.  (Read 767 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
Battletech Drabble - Basic training.
« on: 10 October 2019, 11:55:23 »
Fort Crazy Horse - Niles

Viewed from above the training camp was laid out like the Pentagon Star. At its heart was the camp’s administrative buildings, quarters for the staff, the main armoury as well as the mess hall, vehicle bay and the main parade square. Each point of the star ended in the volunteer’s barracks, a smaller drill square as well as a gym. The space between each point was filled with obstacle courses, classrooms, training fields, ranges as well as smaller classrooms and facilities to support the troops that would be calling Fort Crazy Horse their home for the next nine months.

Although Niles was a rather warm world, it was also arid and regardless of the time of year, mornings were always cold, but today, the skies were clear. It was quiet as a man walked out onto the grey concrete parade ground before the buildings where the volunteers were sleeping. Tall, with short cropped hair that was greying in places, but if age had caused the man’s muscles to lose some of their vigour, it didn’t show it. He was wearing Hell’s Horses combat fatigues, orange, grey and red camouflage pattern, and under that a cool-sock, similar to those worn by Warriors when in tanks or Mechs to help keep them cool and prevent them from overheating as well as keeping in body heat for when it was cold.

At precisely 5 AM a bugle started playing and the man and the others that had formed up behind him turned and snapped to attention as the flag of their Clan was raised. And then all hell broke loose.
The lights in the building snapped on and the rest of his ‘Point’ got to work, blowing whistles, yelling hell and damnation as they pushed and prodded the half-naked volunteers out onto the parade ground.

He waited until the one hundred and twenty five men and women were standing in lines of twenty five, five ranks deep, he then began walking slowly along the lines, shaking his head as if disappointed, his face a mask of barely controlled disdain.

“My name is Star Commander Greggor. You will call me Sir. Better yet, you will not address me until you have earned the right to do so, or, unless I ask you a direct question! Each of you has volunteered and thinks him or herself worthy of the title of Warrior. To be elevated to serve as the sword and shield of our Clan! And, for my sins, I get to see if you are truly worthy to see if you have what it takes to become one of the elite, a Warrior!

The volunteers were a real mix-bag, Freeborns one and all, of all shapes, sizes and colours. Greggor saw a few Freeborn who clearly had Elemental mother’s or fathers judging by their build. He stopped in front of one, looking up.

“You! What is your name?”
“Sir! Labourer Ka..”
“There are NO ranks here, no Castes! I do NOT care what you were before you walked through that gate! Only what you might become!” Greggor yelled cutting her off, shaking his head once more.

“If. IF any of you are accepted into our ranks, IF you pass your Trial of Position your life will change! Into a life of duty, and of honour! Not only for yourself, but for your Star, for your Cluster, but for your Clan! You are the first volunteers from the Lower Castes to step forwards as part of the Khan’s experiment. The eyes of our people, of our Khan and of all other Clans are upon you! Will you fail your people?”

“Sir, neg, Sir!”
“Will you fail your Khan?”
“Sir, neg, Sir!”

Greggor snorted “Hmph, that resolve will be tested. I will not lie to you. This will be hard, and I will make it hard. You must learn in nine months what a Sibkin learns in fifteen years! You will be pushed mentally and physically to your breaking point and beyond. And you will break. And some of you will not survive the training. If you break. When you break, you will be returned to your original Caste, with no stain upon your character, other than knowing that you tried and failed.”

“But, if you succeed, if you grow, if you learn, if you do not break. You will be Transformed. You will be Warriors of Clan Hell’s Horses! Manning our fighting machines, working as a team to defeat our enemies and bring glory to your Clan and to yourself! But…” He ran his eyes over the volunteers “..this is right that MUST be EARNED! And before me now…I do NOT see Warriors! I see a bunch of Surats, idiots and babies! You think you are worthy? I AM NOT AMUSED!”

“Our Touman is built around teamwork, cooperation, as well as the strengths and skills of our Warriors and I will NOT see it weakened by the likes of you! So, your training begins NOW! You have ten minutes to be properly dressed and back on the Parade Ground from the sound of my whistle! If any of you children want to go home and leave, then stay in that nice warm barracks one second after that!”

“DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME!”
“Sir, aff, Sir!”
“I doubt that! I do not give a DAMN if you are a Testdown, a Freeborn farmer or failed Scientist! Right NOW, you people are NOTHING until I say you are SOMETHING! All I ask, all I demand is that you show me you have heart and courage! Now…WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR! YOUR TEN MINUTES JUST STARTED!”

Greggor pulled his whistle from its cord around his neck and blew, the shrill blast filling the air as his subordinates, all ‘Solhama’ Elementals goaded and cajoled the disintegrating formation of shivering men and women back to the barracks with curses and insults.

__

What followed was two hours of calisthenic exercises as well as repeated laps of the ‘dagger’ part of the Camp’s star layout they were assigned to. Greggor squatted down next to a sweating, straining volunteer, another labourer by the looks of him.

“That is it..just give up and go back to being what ever the hell you were before you got here. There is no shame in it..” His tone clearly indicated otherwise.

“Sir, NEG, Sir!” He managed to grunt out, locking his arms in another press-up and the Star Captain nodded slightly “CLASS, HALT! Remain in the UP position. Do NOT touch the ground!” He looked around, no one faltered. Yet.

“Welcome to hell maggots. For the next nine months, you belong to me and my Point Commanders. If you want to quit, do so now because I guarantee it is going to get far worse.”

No one moved and that got a little smile from him. “Good! ON YOUR FEET!”
There was a chorus of grunts and soft groans and some of the volunteers swayed as blood rushed back into their heads.

“STAR, ATTEN-HUT!”

One hundred and twenty-five pairs boots crashed together as the volunteers came to attention.
“Your Point Commanders will break you up into your Points. They are my right hand. If they command you, it is as if you are being given an order by the Great Father himself! We are all that matter in your lives now.  Breakfast is at 0800. You WILL reform at 0830 where your real education will begin. NOW GET AWAY!”

And the whistle blew once more, the Point Commanders barking out orders, separating the mass of men and women into twenty-five man Points. The Point would be the volunteer’s new families, each Point would train together, and the Star would compete against the other four Stars in the Camp. Similar scenes were being repeated across the Camp and at others spread out across Niles as the first intake of Freeborn volunteers started. Those who passed would move on to their Stage II training, eighteen months of learning their ‘trade’ as vehicle crews, learning tactics, maintenance, how to command, fight from and control a vehicle. They’d learn the simple things in Stage I training but it was there to make them into Soldiers, into Warriors. Stage II would turn them into much needed crews for tanks, hovercraft, VTOLs and all sundry other vehicles as well as infantry forces for the expanding touman of Clan Hell’s Horses.

On three worlds, Niles, Tiber and Kirin training camps were established to take in the 18,000 volunteers that were accepted and passed the initial fitness and psychological tests. From Niles, 848 would eventually pass their final Trial of Position and be recognised as Warriors, Tiber produced 733 and Kirin 818 giving the Horses 2,399 additional Warriors to serve as vehicle crews or Infantry Points and Stars. This freed up troops in Second Line forces to be rotated into the still depleted Front Line Clusters, strengthening the weakened Horses at a time when it was most needed.

Fort Crazy Horse - 5 months later

“HEEL, HEEL, HEEL! I want to hear that CRACK!”
Seventy six boot heels cracked against the hard surface of the drill square as the Volunteers of Echo Star marched back and forth, wheeling and turning on barked commands of Star Captain Greggor.

“STAR! HALT!”
The Scrape-CRACK of the little metal inserts on the heels of the black boots the recuits wore echoed across the Square as they dragged across concrete before being rammed down.
“Good. I will admit that I am almost impressed. Point Commander Vane is waiting for you at the armoury. Over at Alpha Stars barracks. A brisk healthy jog. You will be there in twenty minutes or you will be doing Knees to Chest jumps until your eyes bleed.

“Sir, aff, Sir!”
“Good..now…Wait for iiiit…” Greggor grinned slightly as some of the Volunteers twitched as if to start their run back to their barracks to get changed out of parade garb into their fatigues.
“…STAR! DIS-MISSED!”

The neatly ordered Barracks and sleeping quarters was thrown into ordered chaos as the volunteers spilled into their quarters.

“Drill, then ranges? I thought we was supposed to be doing maintenance first thing today.” One of the recruits said as he pulled his boots off putting them into the simple wooden cupboard by his bed.
“Apparently not! Perhaps the ‘old man’ wanted to mix things up? Keep us off balance? And besides Recruit Torsen, I thought our training was supposed to get old habits out of you. You still think think like a Drop Port staffer. If it is not on the schedule this troubles you quiaff?”

“Hah! That is rich coming from you Recruit Yarris! You still think like a farm labourer, throwing your arms around like that when we march.” Torsen grinned as the big ex-farmer rolled her eyes. “It is not my fault you are so short.”

“So why did you volunteer?” Another voice, this from another Labour Caste who was pulling his boots on “Life on the Communes must be rather easy, and your output still helps quiaff?”
Torsen paused for a moment.
“Because I want to do more than just shovel cow dung for the rest of my days, or plant more seeds. After all, you said that you was a ‘glorified shelf stacker’ loading and unloading DropShips. You want to do more, as do we all.”
“Ahh..that is why you like the infantry drills then, reminds you of working the fields.”
“Kara if we were not forbidden from Trials…”
“Ladies. Do not forget that we are already in a Trial, an extended Trial of Position. And after five months..we are still here.”
“Seyla.” The other occupants of the twelve man room quietly intoned.
The silence of the shared moment was then rudely broken by a shout from down the hallway.

“WHY THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU NOT OUTSIDE! MOVE IT!”
There was several groans and hurried lacing of boots before the volunteer’s replied.
“Sir, aff, Sir!”

« Last Edit: 11 October 2019, 05:03:57 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

RolandHTG

• Recruit
Re: Battletech Drabble - Basic training.
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2019, 13:32:53 »
is Hartmann a Horse's bloodname?

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2019, 17:30:59 »
 :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2019, 05:09:16 »
is Hartmann a Horse's bloodname?

Hah! it should be :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

RolandHTG

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2019, 08:33:34 »
Honestly, I've been following your Horse's stuff, the redesigned tanks, the new tanks, etc, and as  aHorse Player I love.