Register Register

Author Topic: Handbook Smoke Jaguar v5  (Read 1185 times)

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
Handbook Smoke Jaguar v5
« on: 23 September 2019, 14:21:21 »
OK - it's been pointed out that this sub forum is a more appropriate place for this document.
So - here it is via  DropBox link.

Note: For various reasons, including size, most of the art has been removed

I present the Smoke Jaguar Handbook (updated).
Added from the previous version is (following a short discussion on Facebook) the Huntress IIC, plus updates on KF Jump technology, adding and clarifying the concept of "shimmer heat" and expanding the size of the JumpSails by a factor of ten.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/415p7412fk2wlbe/Handbook%20Smoke%20Jaguar%20Prime%209.pdf?dl=0

Added 25092019: TankMech

Comments and questions welcome.

Also - questions have been asked, so here is a good place to answer them.

The altered timeline is there because well, we should have had the Second Soviet Civil War by now and we haven't. So, that has been moved to  about 90 years from now and the time frame adjusted

Hsien Ho is indeed taken from Renegade Legion. Professor Neil Stomtra and Dr Jessica Sultra existed too far in the future to be included. However, the "echo" effect they investigated did prove useful

The Second Soviet was indeed written as being both more destructive, global and widespread, and I hope the text bears that out. Yes...WW3 is a cliche but it can work.

ComBots - from a FASA game - were indeed added as a way to explain away the lack of AI and robots in BT. The robotic SDS system, the Broken, et al are canon events which reinforced this prejudice. The Gravity Wall effect was also added with this in mind

Yes, the KISMET system is indeed an explanation for Fortress Republic. I have my suspicions how CGL will explain it away, but this was envisioned about a decade ago.

Tachyons....I would vastly prefer it if they didn't exist so I understand the criticism. Unfortunately, they are canon (thanks Thomas S. Gressman) so I appropriated them as existing in KSpace and linked them to the as yet undescribed (to my knowledge) Deep Radar system

Yes - I am aware that Cray has stated that a HPG dish is simply used to link into the local comms net. Null Set suggests differently, as it suggests the dish is used to focus the HPG signal on the target Mechs. Class C and Class D HPGs arise from the original Periphery Sourcebook, but while Cray and CGL would prefer to retcon them out, I simply give them less range and less bandwidth. And then appropriated them for Ground Mobile and Mobile HPGs

Clan Punisher is the result of a mention in the old MechForce NA membership sheet. I simply liked the name, and it fit with cirumstances and an actual quote. The death motif seemed appropriate.

As discussed in an earlier thread, the Jaguars DO use freebirths in canon. And artillery. The Jaguar Legions were created in response to passages in The Dragon Roars as well as MC to reflect this I appreciate the feeling that this isn't canon but canonically, the Jags DO use frees. The authors have just done a terrible job showing this and while I understand that many players believe the Jags don't have freebirths, in canon they do. Besides...my campaign, my rules.

The Londerholm Revolt has become much more damaging to the Clan. This was partly because I felt it was needed, and partly because of a couple of quotes that indicate the Clan has had falls before. The Revolt made a perfect opportunity to describe one such fall and some of the steps taken to recover.

The Outer Worlds are minor colony worlds, added mainly to explain away a number of worlds that aren't mentioned...such as Stanici. One could make them moons or secondary planets in existing systems but this was my explanation.

Valin - yes. This used to be (semi-)canon and probably should have been an "Outer World". It looks like it has since been retconned as the reference was removed.

Did I have plans for the "Star Admiral" in the opening fiction? Yes...vague plans, but for obvious reasons I dropped Part 4 and never got around to a full description. The fiction needs rewriting anyway.

Yes, the two dimensional nature of KSpace and the twisting of the KSpace-Real interface is an attempt to reconcile the nature of the map, and the tactics used within the Sphere which often drops the third dimension. No, the reality storms have no purpose. Or rather had...I've rejigged the description a bit to make a them at least a contributory cause of Shimmer Heat.

Any others?
« Last Edit: 29 September 2019, 19:50:37 by Talen5000 »
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Red Pins

• Captain
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: Handbook Smoke Jaguar v2
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2019, 01:38:25 »
*!

Wow.  Seriously, why didn't you post this before?  Well done!

A couple points, though.  Sending PM.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2019, 08:35:46 »
Bout a quarter way thru: acquired new dead tree format books so I put it down for a bit. Saving my comments for later though, but holy cow!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2019, 10:15:16 »
Great googly moogly this is a veritable tome of a book, and what i've read thus far is darn darn good!  Only suggestion I have is split it in half. You've got the Handbook of the Jaguars here, written out in exquisite detail and this is clearly a labour of love.

But you've also got a FULL TRO section here as well, that could go in its own publication as a Jaguars TRO and this might cut down the size of it somewhat as its a bloody HOOGE book. But my hat is off to you good Sir/Madame/All ships at sea. This is superb.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2019, 13:31:19 »
Totally minor issue but the Smoke Jaguar logo on the front page is an active link that opens up the image on sarna in a browser window.

Amazing worth though. Stunning really

Also not sure what you did the layout in but none of the images are showing up in iOS. I’ll check my Mac later.

« Last Edit: 24 September 2019, 13:34:46 by pixelgeek »

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2019, 13:38:57 »
Same problem on the Mac so it might be a PDF version issue.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2019, 19:56:25 »
Same problem on the Mac so it might be a PDF version issue.

I probably should have thought to mention this in the original post - which I'll amend.

It does look better with the art. A friend at uni did some work for the system as practise.

However, it was also over 40MB so I removed the links. I've taken some time to provide links to equivalents, or suitable scenes from the books or, on occasion, the original inspiration (I could hardly leave a masterpiece like the Plogs Sabretooth (My Raging Lion) unstated, could I? I'm happy I got close to the stats he was going for but I like the art)

As it is a DropBox link, and as my friend didn't want his work "published", and for the usual legal reasons, and because it is only about 6MB without the art, I felt it better to simply remove it.

So unfortunately, the issue with the art is, I took it out.

Is this a perfect solution? No. But I don't want to step on anyones toes either.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2019, 19:57:21 »
Totally minor issue but the Smoke Jaguar logo on the front page is an active link that opens up the image on sarna in a browser window.

Amazing worth though. Stunning really

Taken care off. I thought I'd got them all.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2019, 19:59:46 »
Great googly moogly this is a veritable tome of a book, and what i've read thus far is darn darn good!  Only suggestion I have is split it in half. You've got the Handbook of the Jaguars here, written out in exquisite detail and this is clearly a labour of love.

But you've also got a FULL TRO section here as well, that could go in its own publication as a Jaguars TRO and this might cut down the size of it somewhat as its a bloody HOOGE book. But my hat is off to you good Sir/Madame/All ships at sea. This is superb.

Thanks. It gets a little weird at times, but there should be something there for everyone. If there was a plot hook or mystery I felt I could tie in,, I did it. Probably should have saved something for others to use ;)

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
Re: Handbook Smoke Jaguar v5
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2019, 14:35:43 »
OK...it's been a few weeks now I've made a few tweaks, including TankMechs and a recreation of the BattleDroids Behemoth as a Mobile Structure.

I'm curious as to what people think.....good? Bad? Indifferent? Anything people fundamentally disagree with or like and would like to see expanded?

There have also been some suggestions for improvement wrt issues such as layout.

Would these be worth pursuing? Wouldn't change the contents but such changes might make it easier to read.

Yeah...I know about the art but, as I said, it's a huge download and DropBox has a download limit.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2019, 16:36:30 »
well having the pictures show would be nice.  Mech pics with the various mechs etc.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2019, 17:04:14 »
well having the pictures show would be nice.  Mech pics with the various mechs etc.

Yes, but then it becomes a 40, 45MB download instead of 6
« Last Edit: 09 October 2019, 19:02:13 by Talen5000 »

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2019, 17:05:19 »
hmm
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 20 October 2019, 19:42:53 »
it will be during the week before I can get to read this
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register