Register Register

Author Topic: Dead Man's Hand: The Kowloon Job  (Read 5088 times)

Cannonshop

• Major
Re: Dead Man's Hand: The Kowloon Job
« Reply #120 on: 09 February 2021, 15:34:32 »
Righteous.
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #121 on: 09 February 2021, 15:56:25 »
Looks good! I will try write up a character profile when i get a chance.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #122 on: 09 February 2021, 16:03:48 »
Looks good! I will try write up a character profile when i get a chance.
Her details are spread out between All Along The Watchtower and Bloodlines
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

qc mech3

• Warrant Officer
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #123 on: 09 February 2021, 16:16:38 »
You know, if Nathan ever got a look of the watch's profile on Nasty K., he may get a bad feeling about who bested him.  :D xp xp xp xp

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Dead Man's Hand: The Kowloon Job
« Reply #124 on: 09 February 2021, 17:13:18 »
Tranh Truk Ngo Memorial Spaceport
Nha Tranh, Kowloon
Bucklands Province
Federated Commonwealth
1 July 3054

Joker watched the four former Jade Falcon MechWarrors make their way down the steps to the waiting Duchess with a strange mix of bemusement and sadness: she had long ago made peace with the fact that she had no home, no family waiting for her, but there was still a certain stab of pain every time she was reminded of what she was missing.

Would Sister Lucy, the closest thing she had to family outside of her crew, be waiting for her if she returned to that far distant world where she was dragged-up?

******, she didn't even know if Sister Lucy was still alive, or what state the orphanage was in. She had closed the door on that part of her life the day she hopped into the cockpit of a Wasp she had no legal rights to be anywhere near and ran for it. It had only been, what, five, six years? Since that day, but it felt like a lifetime. She certainly wasn't the same cocksure, foul-mouthed kid she'd been when she left Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. Sometimes, she wondered if anyone back there would even recognise her...

Joker heard the slap, even over the noise of a busy spaceport, and looked down to see Henry holding his cheek as his sister glared daggers at him... then enveloped him in a fierce embrace and start crying uncontrollable.

On second thoughts, ****** that: families were too weird for her.

"Ain't that always the way." Kelso appeared at her side, watching the unfolding drama with bemused interest.

"I'd have to take your word for it." Joker shrugged, "What about our other guests?"

"Social worker come picked them up from the other hatch: gave them a little something from the petty cash to help them get started." Kelso lent against the hatch way, "How long we staying?"

"Few days. Maybe a week. Depends on how long it takes to get that LRM launcher on Jay's Archer fixed." Joker mused, shoving her hands in her pockets, "Someone from the AFFC Quartermasters office is supposed to be coming over to make an offer on the salvage, and the balance of our payment for this little family reunion should clear soon. Then it's a case of resupplying and finding a new contract. Ain't no rest for the wicked..."

"And the righteous don't need it." Kelso agreed, "It's a hell of a life, for sure."

The End
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #125 on: 09 February 2021, 17:42:13 »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Artifex

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: 09 February 2021, 17:43:36 »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Outstanding JA Baker, really, really, really outstanding. A very nice short story all in all, I especially loved the pacing and the overall way you handled this. :thumbsup:

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #127 on: 09 February 2021, 17:52:53 »
very, very good.

Euphonium

• Lieutenant
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #128 on: 09 February 2021, 18:41:41 »
That was wonderful! I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Dead Man's Hand occasionally in the future.

I was wondering for a while why Joker was piloting a Hellbringer, then I realised it's basically a clan Warhammer, so she's following in her parents' footsteps whether she knows it or not  ;D
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #129 on: 09 February 2021, 19:59:39 »
That was good solid story. Hope see more entry for the in the series. Its was well written!
I've backed up the story, added couple extra pictures to the entry in the wiki.

I'm going go back and see if can find the rest of the Joker's merc crew missions. 
« Last Edit: 09 February 2021, 20:35:30 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #130 on: 09 February 2021, 21:54:36 »
Nicely done indeed!  :thumbsup:

Honestly, I was hoping you'd string it out a little longer, but it's just fine as is!  8)

whydoesitmatter

• Recruit
« Reply #131 on: 09 February 2021, 22:22:31 »
Now the real question is weather Cannonshop is going to continue the story or not.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #132 on: 09 February 2021, 22:26:41 »
Now the real question is weather Cannonshop is going to continue the story or not.
If he wants to write the reunion between Liz and Henry, that's up to him. My attention is... elsewhere.

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #133 on: 09 February 2021, 23:38:27 »
Thank you!   :thumbsup:
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #134 on: 18 February 2021, 13:44:44 »
The Deadman have a unit listing.  I will try update as things go on, with semi-little spoiling in it.