Register Register

Author Topic: I need a title for this, I'll figure it out later.  (Read 18514 times)

Blade4

• Master Sergeant
Re: I need a title for this, I'll figure it out later.
« Reply #360 on: 05 August 2022, 04:02:49 »
given the fact the Society was rife in the Coyote's, i wonder if the Falcon audit is going to splash into a wider hunt across the homeworlds.
Almost certainly. The Falcons might not murder all their trueborn scientists but there will be a great purge and most all of them taken alive will be chemically interrogated to find more treason and problems and the society is a problem for all clans so the Falcon watch will share data and those clans will start interrogating and investigating... The greater problem is without a war of reaving to distract them the warriors might go full witch hunt which might actually provoke revolts because they dont know when to stop and cant comprehend they lower castes have legit reasons to be unhappy.

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #361 on: 05 August 2022, 04:08:06 »
You have two paths.
One, the Falcons share this info with all the clans, resulting in a cold/hot war between the warriors and the scientists, or a purge of the scientists.
Second, the falcons only share this info with the clans that they are allied. Same results, but only for said group of clans, with the possibility of some scientists running to the other clans.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #362 on: 05 August 2022, 11:26:12 »
"What do you mean I've got...

...diplomats sitting in my living room?"  It took months to get home.  Not as many as it took to get to the Clan Homeworlds, though Elizabeth was canny enough to arrange a hand-off to a Coast Guard vessel just about half-way to the Clan Homeworlds.

The Stargate worked, but she wasn't entirely ready to deal with the fallout from that just yet...though she would have to, since Nathan, Henry, and the command trinary of the Redtails cluster came along for the ride.

"I mean just that, Liz." Evelynn told her, "You have Diplomats from the Lyran Alliance, though not in your living room, they're in the old Annex building in Nha Tranh."

"Which of the spoiled brats sent them, I'll...AGH!!" Liz growled in frustration.

"Peter."

"Peter? Not Katherine, not Victor.  What happened while I was gone?" Liz asked carefully.

"Well...Morgan Kell, the guy you said was 'minding the damn store' while the royal brats were having their little tiff?  he hooked up with Adam Steiner, and they got with some guy named Christofiori, and then, they went to Zaniah, and talked Victor and Katie's little brother into stepping in.  This was while you were doing long-distance diplomacy with the Clans..."

"well...where are we on this then?"

"Peter's rescinded the declaration of rebellion Nondi laid down shortly after having to kill her on Tharkad.  Problem being, we went openly Independent before he did it, and Winter, Jessenice, Hood IV and a couple others followed our lead while you were out.  I've been fielding diplomacy and playing referee keeping our allies from gobbling those guys up.   End result, is that Peter wants us all back, but so far we've kept Adam from leading a punitive expedition to make us using the Blair Atholl accords."

"so who's waiting for me down there?" Liz asked.

"Morgan Kell and his boy Phelan."

"The Warden Khan?" Liz asked.

"The very same, and Li's getting tired of playing traffic cop keeping the Wolfies and our allies from throwing down in the orbitals."

"Christ...You know, Evvie, ten years ago this would be ****** amazing news but now I can only imagine the apparent light at the end of the tunnel being the headlight of an oncoming freight hauler.  What kind of tone are they taking?"

"Diplomatic." Evelynn told her.  "Kell laughed for half an hour when he found out you were in the Clan Homeworlds."

"Shit." Elizabeth rubbed her temples, then looked into the screen, "Foreign minister? who's got the detail?"

"Mai Huyn from Ia Drang's 34th district."

"Thirty-four...that's the H'mong districts, right? Highlands area south?"

"Yup."

"oh god we're going to be at war by christmas...alright, I'll get on Vu Dao about plotting a short run to get home faster..."

"Oh, and your Uncle's here, he's kinda pissed."

"Uncle Danny? I thought he was on the Feddie border..." Elizabeth's maternal uncle wasn't that close to her, not after the incident that got her a bullet scar over her heart.

"Yeah, well, he's claiming kin-rights and the Rockjacks from the Sithers-Deen coops have insisted on Guestrite."

she flinched.  "alright, so family drama, more family drama, someone else's family drama and we're in deep shit politically.  Got it.  Tell them I'll be home by the end of the week, have Li and Whyte sending me full updates on what I've missed for the last two and a half years."

"How are you feeling?"

"Like a bug in front of a windshield...but they were good to their word, I'm not dying of Cholmann's anymore."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #363 on: 05 August 2022, 14:11:15 »
 ;D ;D ;D

There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #364 on: 05 August 2022, 14:16:31 »
Maybe dying of embarrassment or frustration.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #365 on: 05 August 2022, 14:58:04 »
or trying to find out who has more stamina, her or Nathan... >:D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #366 on: 05 August 2022, 15:54:55 »
or trying to find out who has more stamina, her or Nathan... >:D
Have they got that far in their relationship?
I'm still missing where Stargate was prefected.
That came out of nowhere.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #367 on: 05 August 2022, 16:28:18 »
Yeah a couple bits seem to have come out of nowhere to me too.

I'm still trying to figure out when Ettiene actually became interested in Liz and how she came to be in his care since earlier in the story he assigned another to such works and likewise not sure where Stargate came from this time.

Blade4

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #368 on: 05 August 2022, 16:58:21 »
So it is war then... If it was just Morgan then yeah could be actual attempt at diplomacy but his son the traitor Warden Wolf to? This seems more a recon to see what is here and a fig leaf that they "tried" before it degenerate into violence. They will probably come with terms and veiled threats instead of actual talk. Elizabeth will ask them why should they rejoin and what do they offer and they will not understand assuming hte Falcons have a strong grip on her and the world.

A stargate? Presumable set between the IS and clan homeworlds. Yeah that is going to raise all kinds of shit if it gets out. And actually believed. War declared to seize the tech or destroy it at all costs.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #369 on: 05 August 2022, 17:53:49 »
Interesting times indeed!  ;D

I can't wait for more (even though I might have to, if I can't make my netbook work for the next week or so I'll just have to wait)...

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #370 on: 05 August 2022, 17:59:40 »
If Elizabeth brought her staff with her, hopefully a few of them started making contact with the Clan Worker, Tech, and Scientist caste members (Lyran Alliance already has plenty of merchants).

From there, start talking about their life in the Inner Sphere, what it is like at home, the difficulty of living on unemployment and savings while looking for another job, etc.  See if they can get any defectors from the Clans to come to Kowloon (or just the Inner Sphere).  Also talk to the Dark Caste to get ideas about forming an 'Underground Railroad' from the Clan Homeworlds to the Inner Sphere.

If the funds support it, see if they can get a massive Command Circuit set up from the Clan Homeworlds' region to the Inner Sphere, so Dropships full of people in Infantry Quarters can be transported rapidly (as long as they are in the Dropship for less than ~3 months, Infantry Bays are better tonnage-wise than using full-strength Quarters).

Clan warriors can't fight that well if there are fewer experienced Workers growing food, fewer skilled Tech to maintain their gear, and fewer scientists to reverse-engineer someone else's ideas.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #371 on: 05 August 2022, 19:13:19 »
Have they got that far in their relationship?
I'm still missing where Stargate was prefected.
That came out of nowhere.

My fault, that one.  It's one of those "I decided Lizzie shouldn't be ultra-genius"-she had people working on it, which was how she spotted Eric's brilliance-they've been working on it since the fifties, but I didn't SHOW enough.

In the re-edit I'll handle that better.  In the meantime, imagine there's a cute cat picture.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #372 on: 05 August 2022, 19:37:46 »
Please link the re-edit when you do it... there are already too many posts to make it easy...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #373 on: 05 August 2022, 20:34:17 »
Please link the re-edit when you do it... there are already too many posts to make it easy...  ^-^

for the re-edit I'll probably do what I did with the Orcs story, and start a new thread.  There are a LOT of gaps that I need to fill in this one.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #374 on: 05 August 2022, 20:36:47 »
I'll be totally in on a new thread!  :thumbsup:

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #375 on: 05 August 2022, 20:39:49 »
Same

Derain Von Harken

• Sergeant
« Reply #376 on: 05 August 2022, 21:52:28 »
So will this be a diplomatic. No. Followed by a reading of all relevant treaties involved and how it is both legal and right to not owe fealty to anyone.

Or a less diplomatic ****** off. Followed by a reading of relevant treaties and pointing out the military capacity and will to enforce said right.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #377 on: 05 August 2022, 23:00:19 »
google Drive says it's 102 pages so far.  (Stripped of comments)

So...

I expect it'll double by the time I get to the hardcore editing for next draft.

I'm probably going to be hitting people up for ideas and help for some of it, I see at least three stories' worth of material so far once I've fleshed things out...and we haven't even hit the Jihad yet.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2022, 23:02:15 by Cannonshop »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #378 on: 07 August 2022, 05:04:39 »
So, the story is ended?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #379 on: 07 August 2022, 05:39:21 »
So, the story is ended?

It's in the hell of re-edit.  Among things I have to add, are in-character scenes and dialogue polish, a few 'plot resolutions' and some additional order.

Then it will be reposted.  Part one will be "The Good Silver", which covers up to the immediate aftermath of the battles of Kowloon, which will (I intend) include more detailed battle scenes and more or less clearer reasons for the Clan forces to react the way that they did.

Part Two will be Lizzie's trip to the Homeworlds in the mid 3060s, with clearer links to show the progression leading to her unmasking Etienne, as well as showing what the Clans are doing with Helena's body and genetic samples.

Part Three will be riffing off of things I intend to put more emphasis in part one, and better hints in part two, and revolve around the Jihad/War of Reaving (with some changes).

I'm expecting to add about 300 pages worth of material total across all three, built off of slightly more than half that.  What I'm dealing with in my outline structure, is I'm kind of angling to do the additional materials in a way that makes each 'part' feel like its own story with a beginning, middle, end, and links to the other two.

So in a sense, this 102 pages is more of a 'sketch' than anything else.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #380 on: 07 August 2022, 05:50:29 »
Best of luck with the re-edit, and very happy to have helped with the title!  :thumbsup:

I'm going to be off line for most of the week (starting today), but should be back on Friday.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #381 on: 07 August 2022, 12:45:02 »
All that and the new story you just started? Wow.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2022, 18:11:29 by Wrangler »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #382 on: 12 August 2022, 23:05:49 »
I did make it back on Friday (barely), but I notice it's now Saturday as I'm catching up...

Register