Register Register

Author Topic: Fate Can Be Cruel (Part Two)  (Read 41122 times)

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Fate Can Be Cruel (Part Two)
« Reply #600 on: 04 January 2021, 04:58:46 »
Could it be?  He's growing a spine?  ???

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #601 on: 04 January 2021, 08:55:40 »
Could it be?  He's growing a spine?  ???
Or he just really wanted to see mermaids.

cklammer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #602 on: 04 January 2021, 10:22:15 »
A case for the HAF with their engineers, their medical corps and their public relations people on the ground and the HAF Navy in space.

Any lift for any eventual evacuation: the HAF has enough for 25.000 "mermaids" and they can be sent to the Wolverines: all the "odd ducks" in one basket ...

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #603 on: 04 January 2021, 13:05:31 »
Could NIOPS had played a part in this?

"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #604 on: 04 January 2021, 14:01:48 »
Could NIOPS had played a part in this?

Wrong neighborhood.  NIOPS is on the wrong corner of the sphere.  (Yes, I know that sounds....wrong.)
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #605 on: 04 January 2021, 14:41:02 »
You guys forgot the Hegemony has Slipstream?  Wrong side of the Inner Sphere is nothing to these fellows.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #606 on: 04 January 2021, 16:58:59 »
Both the Mermaids and NIOPS are near the Magistry.
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #607 on: 05 January 2021, 00:42:43 »
You guys forgot the Hegemony has Slipstream?  Wrong side of the Inner Sphere is nothing to these fellows.

It isn't 'nothing' when you're maintaining secrecy, Wrangler.
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #608 on: 05 January 2021, 08:00:18 »
It isn't 'nothing' when you're maintaining secrecy, Wrangler.
I meant say that Slipstream can pop further range any known ship can go and largely a unknown technology to EVERYONE by this time period in 3010.
That being said, i'd believe that Slipstream given it's range (i remember right...) can pop a Slipstream equipped Jumpship on other side of the Inner Sphere from where hegemony is located in the Deep Periphery (former OA Colony region) without running into anyone.

Anyways, i would think unless they did so, they could established bases random corners of the Inner Sphere as forwarding / jump bases to deploy from.  The Dominion going be most exposed they've been since Pirates go there all the time and the Pirate Cluster is not too horribly away from the Dominion as well.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #609 on: 05 January 2021, 08:19:28 »
Refresher, Slip Stream Travel is sort of like a Super Jump, BUT, instead of tearing a "hole" between to destinations for an instant arrival, it allows a ship to enter hyper space and remain in hyper space. A single charge on a jump core allows for 240LY travel, add a single LF battery and you can travel 480LY.

Most long distance ships are equipped with up to 4 LF batteries. Range 960LY, using core plus 3 batteries.....4th battery for an emergency jump. Instead of instant arrival, a 960LY jump would take about 8 days to complete. Rate of advance is roughly 180LY per day, IIRC, have to check my notes which I don't have right now.

Slip Stream travel also arrives at destination with little to no incoming jump signature since it does not use the massive amount of energy to "rip" a hole for near instant travel.

Basically, distance is not an issue. Secrecy is an issue. IF they based at Taussen/Versailles, which is pretty central, the Hegemony could deploy to anywhere in the Inner Sphere and known Periphery in a week's time. IIRC, the Clan Home Worlds are roughly 1,300LY from Terra, to give you an idea of distance.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #610 on: 05 January 2021, 17:32:54 »
15 January 3010
Thazi (Hegemony)

Commodore Fergus McConnell had brought his ship, SLS Yosemite, Riga Transport per his orders. He only knew the basics, that he would be taking on multiple Dropships along with the 288th Hussar Regiment for a long distance deployment. The moment he had arrived, he had been ordered to take his ship to the orbital shipyard for a maintenance check while all the various Dropships, personnel and equipment were brought in from across the Hegemony. Once the maintenance was begun, he had orders to report to the surface for a more in depth briefing about his mission.

New Port Royal (Tortuga Dominion)

Lieutenant General Braxton Myers, commander 3311st Brigade, smiled as he read the message reporting that the campaign to secure the Tortuga Dominions was complete except for random mop up and security actions. Major combat operations were complete. He wondered to himself if the Hegemony was going to actually off these people the option to join the Hegemony. Since their operations on New Port Royal had ended, he had requested additional medical personnel and supplies to treat the civilian population in an effort to win some hearts and minds, just in case.

He still had no orders for Barkers Bombers since their particular skills would only really be needed if the Dominions joined the Hegemony. Worst case, if the people of the Dominions elected to remain independent, he would gladly offer Barker and his people to join the Hegemony fully. It would give the Hegemony a core to build one of the Independent Regiments around and he was sure Barker and his folks would just love a full upgrade on all their equipment.

Versailles (Hegemony)

Since retaking Versailles from Comstar, it had taken over a century to fully "deprogram" the population. Enough local industry had been built to keep the local population quite comfortable, even by Hegemony standards. The schools and medical facilities were first rate. They had done away with Comstar's everyone around a single city and they had established several more cities on the primary continent. The massive Battlemech Factory had been installed inside a massive mountain and underground complex, along with all the supporting industries needed to support it. The only thing that had not been brought in or constructed was orbital facilities for Endo Steel.

Recruitment for the Hegemony Armed Forces had not begun until the late 2980's, and had only recently been increased. Production from the various industries along with the Battlemech Factory was kept to a low, maintain skills level. Every 4 months, a transport arrived from the Hegemony to take on and drop off cargo ships. With 24 production lines, the Battlemech Factory was capable of rivaling any complex within the Inner Sphere, but produced a mere 36 Battlemechs per year, 12 Stinger STG-3R, 12 Thunderbolt TDR-5S and 12 Archer ARC-2R models. With no official ownership outside the Hegemony Armed Forces, it was carried on the books as Reserve Industrial Complex Alpha.

Garrison for the planet was on a rotation of 2 years, which before the mobilization, had been between several RCT's. But now, the garrison had been increased to a full Independent Battlemech Regiment, currently the 201st Battle Regiment, along with a full Conventional RCT and permanent Aerospace Group of 18 Aerospace Fighters. The last supply transport had dropped off several engineers from Mitchell Industries who had spent the last few weeks going over the Battlemech Factory.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #611 on: 05 January 2021, 18:39:26 »
Looks like progress to me!  :thumbsup:

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #612 on: 06 January 2021, 23:25:32 »
1 February 3010
Zetang (Hegemony)
Livingston Naval Base

Fleet Admiral Tomlin Tanaka could not help but smile as he stood looking out the broad window of the shipyard that was just starting work on the first Texas Battleship Drone Control ship. This half of the vast cavern held a massive assortment of shipyards and their supporting factories. Inside the 200km X 200km cavern were 12 Unpressurized Shipyards able to handle up to 2.5 million tons, 24 Pressurized Shipyards able to handle 1 million tons, 24 Pressurized Shipyards able to handle 500K tons and 24 Pressurized Shipyards able to handle 250K tons. While all of these yards occupied a fair amount of space, the massive Germanium processing complex dwarfed everything, able to process 250,000 tons of Germanium per day to feed the 100 Jump Core factories.

Along the walls of the caverns were countless Large Habitats to house the workers and their families. Aqueduct Dropships we constantly making sure every stations fuel tanks were topped off and maintenance personnel rapidly repaired any station keeping drive showed the slightest fault. Countless shuttles were constantly on the move, shuttling workers from station to their habitat on a tight schedule. This cavern was probably the busiest place in the entire Inner Sphere, or anywhere else for that matter. He always enjoyed just standing here and watching all the hustle and bustle.

One area of the cavern held an intricate honeycomb of Endo Steel bracing. In each slot of the honeycomb was a carefully stored Jump Core packed inside a cocoon of Endo Steel. There were 300 Jump Cores stored here and another 200 Jump Cores stored in an identical honeycomb on the active Fleet side of Livingston Naval Base. Using the Slip Stream method of travel ate up Jump Cores, so the decision had been made long ago to keep a ready stock of pre-made Jump Cores on hand to speed up replacement. This way, instead of a possible 6-8 month replacement was greatly shortened to just a month of down time. A clearing of a throat caused him to turn.

"Sorry to bother you Admiral, but I was told you were back and thought you might like to know that we are going to test a new Jump Core design." Helen Caldwell said

"No bother Helen. So what exactly have you and your fellow egg heads created?" Fleet Admiral Tanaka asked with a smile

"Hopefully, a much stronger and durable Jump Core. We managed to get permission to task that super computer to give us a hand. It too a few years, but we think we got the formula down right this time. It should, hopefully, increase the life of a Jump Core mated to a Slip Stream ship to 100 jumps before replacement. At the same time, we think the new Jump Core will accept a higher rate of recharge than a standard core without damage. If everything goes as planned, we will have a stronger, better Jump Core for fitting in your ships." Helen Caldwell explained. She was a Department Head from Hegemony Science and Research, her Department oversaw everything that had to do with Naval or Space research.

"When is the test scheduled for?" Fleet Admiral Tanaka asked

"The 10th February. We have fitted into the last Slip Stream Research ship. The ships onboard computer will jump it to Linden, fast recharge, jump back here. It will then report the status of the Core while it fast recharges it's drive again. We plan to nearly non stop jump the ship until we break the new Jump Core or it shows massive failure. I have a team at Linden to monitor the experiment when the ship is there. We fitted an adjustable power convertor to the ship which will allow the ships computer to adjust the power flow into the Jump Core and LF Batteries for maximum safe charge rate. We also fitted the ship with a modified Black Box, tied into the ships computer just in case a mis-jump occurs, it can call for help with it's coordinates." Helen Caldwell said

"You keep me up to date on this test. Success or Failure, give my thanks to your team. I knew you had been working on this, but never realized you were this far along." Fleet Admiral Tanaka replied

"Only because I did not have anything tangible to report. It has only been in the last year that all the pieces started falling into place and I wanted to be sure before I brought you up to speed." Helen Caldwell said

"Afraid to get an old mans hopes up Helen?" Fleet Admiral Tanaka asked with a smile

"Never. Besides, your not that old Admiral." Helen replied with a twinkle in her eye

"Well then, join me for dinner?" Fleet Admiral Tanaka asked

"Of course. Normal time, normal place. Maybe I will prove to you how young you really are." Helen said with a laugh

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #613 on: 06 January 2021, 23:32:28 »
That DEFINITELY looks like progress there...  8)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #614 on: 07 January 2021, 00:42:55 »
Especially for the old admiral!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #615 on: 09 January 2021, 19:52:35 »
10 February 3010
Zentang (Hegemony)
Livingston Naval Base

Helen Caldwell watched the laser linked readouts being sent from SLS Deep Driver, Hegemony Test Ship. So far everything looked good to her. The fast recharge had been a success accepting a full charge of both the main Jump Core, but also the two LF Batteries in only 131 hours instead of the normal 186 hours using the onboard reactors to charge each at the same time. She had kept her fingers crossed almost the entire time, hoping she did not get notified of a dangerous or catastrophic failure, but none had come.

"Deep Driver, verify status for jump." The controller said

A near human voice replied "Control, SLS Deep Driver. All systems nominal. I am ready to make the jump to Linden on your command. I am five by five and ready to set a new record."

Helen Caldwell could only shake her head, this particular "computer" had been online longer than any other in the Hegemony except the primary "Amber" on Azur and had taken on quite a lot of information and even some "human" qualities. In a way, it unnerved her, a computer that almost seemed human in it's speech and even actions. She had read all the reports from the various captains and crew that had sailed aboard SLS Deep Driver over last 150 years. The ship had the largest data storage of any other ship, and every attempt to try and upgrade or even dump some of the data collected over the many years was met with protests from every person that had ever crewed this particular ship. She nodded to the controller.

"Deep Driver, you are cleared to make the jump to Linden. Report all data on arrival."

"I copy cleared to make the jump to Linden. I know my task Control, I have been doing this longer than any of you have been alive. Commencing jump sequence and we will talk again in a few days, Deep Driver is out of here."

Helen could not help but break into a smile at what she heard. She watched the monitor as SLS Deep Driver vanished.

11 February 3010
Linden (Hegemony)

SLS Deep Driver arrived at her designated location 18 hours after departing Zetang. On arrival, "Cora" the ships computer, checked all of her onboard systems while starting a fast recharge of the ships Jump Core. She tasked a subroutine to closely monitor the recharge rates while she directed the ships communication array to make a secure laser lock with the Olympus Recharge Station.

"Nadir Control, this is SLS Deep Driver. Stand by for data transfer. All systems are nominal and I have begun fast recharge procedures. I show my arrival time is 27 minutes ahead of schedule. A new speed record, travel distance was 127LY which by my calculations is a rate of advance of 7.05LY per hour. Previous record was 6.31LY per hour." Cora announced

"Deep Driver, Nadir Control. We copy your laser lock and data transfer. We also verify your speed record. Suggest you not push the envelope much more, not until we analyze your data stream."

"My task is to stress the ships Drive and components as much as I can. I will proceed with my current projected plan, but thank you for your concern." Cora replied

Aboard the Olympus Station, the communications officer looked at the project leader "I thought the damned ship was unmanned?"

"It is, that is Cora, the longest running ship control computer. She really has picked up the art of snarky comebacks hasn't she?" The project leader said without taking his eyes off the data feed coming from SLS Deep Driver.

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #616 on: 09 January 2021, 20:07:21 »
A near human voice replied "Control, [/size]SLS Deep Driver[/size]. All systems nominal. I am ready to make the jump to Linden on your command. I am five by five and ready to set a new record." 
[/size]
[/size] And your Computer puts in some snarkiness from the 21st century Space X nominclature.
-Me

- Socrates

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #617 on: 09 January 2021, 20:11:24 »
Wow, Cora be snarky indeed. I expect her to assemble a body and get a drink.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #618 on: 09 January 2021, 20:15:46 »
I wonder how many other AIs have grown to have names since Amber and Cora...  8)

Kiko70

• Corporal
« Reply #619 on: 10 January 2021, 14:13:13 »
I wonder how many other AIs have grown to have names since Amber and Cora...  8)

..Cora keeps that snark up, she'll get her name changed to Roseanne..

Register