Register Register

Author Topic: Fate Can Be Cruel (Part Two)  (Read 53988 times)

2ndAcr

• Captain
Re: Fate Can Be Cruel (Part Two)
« Reply #660 on: 20 January 2021, 16:04:18 »
Thanks, no Rule violations folks. You want to argue politics or real world, I can give you a link to a forum where we can free for all it. But not here, not in my thread.

Ckslammer, would appreciate it if you edit that out of your post please.
 Thank you
« Last Edit: 20 January 2021, 16:05:54 by 2ndAcr »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #661 on: 20 January 2021, 22:14:49 »
1 June 3010
Thazi (Hegemony)

Director General Mark Cameron smiled as Commanding General Michelle Mitchell entered his office. He waved her to a seat and moved to the small bar. He fixed himself a small drink and then pulled another glass down and fixed one for his guest. He carried them over and handed her the small drink as he sat down next to her.

"Mark, your smiling like a cat looking at a beached fish. What gives?" Michelle asked

He pulled a small box from his pocket and handed it over to her. "A little present from Hegemony Security."

Michell opened the small box and looked inside. There in their own even smaller cases were 4 small microchips. "And these are for what exactly?"

"Tracking chips. They use them on their covert teams so they can keep track of them but also locate them if they get snatched up. Battery life is 10 years, and they do not broadcast actively, but special sensors can detect them. Range 500 meters. I understand the girls have dental appointments soon. The perfect time to knock them out and have them implanted." Mark Cameron said

"I am not sure I like that idea Mark." Michelle protested, but not very strongly

"I am sure you don't like the idea, but you hate the lack of sleep and constant worry much more. I already have a team over at your house placing sensors along the fence line and walls, then they will place them around the house. They will leave a special note pad that can pin point the kids location at all times. You can even set an alarm to notify you of movement, or if one or more move past a certain distance. This is for their own good Michelle. Here, watch." Mark Cameron said as he clicked a remote and a view screen began playing.

She recognized one of the Mech Hangers, the video was shot using night vision. She saw movement and focused on that. A small head appeared on the screen, then 2 more. For 20 minutes she watched her charges move around the various Battlemechs trying to figure out how to get access to them. The video was obviously shot and spliced form different camera's as the angles changed as they moved around the Mech Hanger. She watched a figure point towards the vary camera aimed at them and all 3 took off at a run, and then they were gone. The time stamp said 3:19am, 27 May 3010. She never even knew they had slipped out. Mark Cameron clicked the video off.

"They are going to get themselves hurt. Or worse, hurt someone else." Mark Cameron said

"The Hangers are locked, or did a tech forget?" Michelle asked

"They have not quite figured out how they got inside, but I have folks looking into it. If they can get in, someone more inclined to hostile intent might be able to also. So have them implanted so that we can at least head off their more dangerous adventures in time to prevent someone getting hurt. Notice I did not say all their adventures, because I admire their intelligence, curiosity and sense of adventure. I just want them safe." Mark Cameron said

"Okay Mark, I want them safe also." Michelle said slipping the small case into her pocket

"Good, now some better news. Both the Outworlds Alliance and Taurian's have accepted terms for Thompson Shipyards. Very favorable terms. In the name of secrecy, I have decided that Thompson Shipyards will use the oldest yards we have in storage. But the equipment will arrive over a long period of time, possibly 5 years. Maybe more. It would raise way too many questions if they are in operation too fast. It will take their rep a few more months to reach the Magistracy of Canopus." Mark Cameron said

"You really starting to find your way into the job Mark. You might learn to like the job." Michelle replied

"Bite your tongue. I am just trying to improve what the historians might write about me. I intend to turn over the reigns to Anastasia the second she is ready for the job." Mark Cameron said

"Well, either way, today is the start of the vote in the Tortuga Dominions about joining the Hegemony. If they join, you will have to work a little harder incorporating them into the Hegemony. If they vote no, well you will get credit for wiping a great many pirates from existence and freeing millions of slaves." Michelle replied

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #662 on: 21 January 2021, 09:03:48 »
Why aren't they getting someone just HELP her? Its cheaper and maybe morally better than slipping chips into them.  I mean, these kids are extra smart.  Their going notice if you slip a tracking chip into their close or food.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Artifex

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #663 on: 21 January 2021, 13:39:46 »
Well on one hand, yes getting Michelle some additional staffers to watch over the kiddos might be better.

On the other hand, getting the tracking chips into their teeth (hopefully their first set of teeth) makes them indistinguishable.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #664 on: 21 January 2021, 17:38:56 »
She needs the tracking chips AND the extra help!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #665 on: 24 January 2021, 03:08:40 »
14 June 3010
New Port Royal (Tortuga Dominions)

"You have got to be kidding me. Tally the damned votes again." Lieutenant General Braxton Myers ordered

"We have sir, we have tallied the total votes 4X already. The vote to join the Hegemony has failed. To pass the total had to be a 85% margin, the measure only got 81%. This was an all or nothing vote. The Tortuga Dominion has elected to remain independent." Colonel Paul Stanton replied

"Dammit Paul. What the hell is wrong with these people? We have fed them, provided them with seed stock, assisted in repairing their water plants, power supply. Hell in less than a year we have managed to improve their overall life by probably 100%. Well, screw them. Tell the people to pack up, send word to orbit to send all the captured crew to the surface, we take the Jumpships with us. Call it payment for services rendered. Work up a message to be broadcast, we are leaving them to their own devices. Stress to them that a return to piracy and slavery could very well cause our return and we will not be nearly so nice next time." Lieutenant General Braxton Myers said harshly

He turned and left his command post. He halted for a second trying to decide where he wanted to go, before turning and stalking towards the mess tent. Entering, he paused to let his eyes adjust before spotting Major Frank Baxter and Major Jillian Mathews sitting at a far table. When he reached them, he pulled out a chair and sat down heavily into it. Major Baxter and Major Mathews shared a look.

"Trouble General?" Major Baxter asked

"The vote failed. It was fairly close, but these people out here want to remain independent. We are packing up to leave. So, now you need to choose Major's. Are you staying with us or you staying here?" Lieutenant General Myers asked

"Well, on one hand, when you folks leave, we will be the biggest dog in these woods, but I have no desire to rule. Plus, your people have sort of spoiled me and my folks. We will be leaving with you, if you will have us." Major Frank Baxter replied

"I would not be offering if I did not want you. You and your people will make a fine core to form a larger command around. But you might want to stress to everyone that they will have to go back to an academy for about a year. But that is for people above my rank to decide exactly where and how to post your command. I will try as hard as I can to keep you all together. Right now, I need a full medical profile of everyone in your command, especially anyone who suffers from TDS. Our transports can be a little harsh on those folks. So let's get cracking, cause I expect movement orders pretty quick." Lieutenant General Myers said

As she stood, Major Jillian Mathews asked "General, what about all the freed slaves? I am sure that once word spreads that we are leaving they are not going to want to stay here."

"No clue, we will just have to wait for orders on that one Jillian." Lieutenant General Myers said

Starfox5

• Corporal
    • My Fanfictions
« Reply #666 on: 24 January 2021, 05:00:22 »
Why did they add the 85% margin, anyway?

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #667 on: 24 January 2021, 05:06:18 »
 It goes all the way back to when General Rita Mitchell "started" the Periphery Hegemony. It was done that way so that it was a clear majority. Not a 51% telling the other 49% how they will live etc. But a clear majority. It has proven the best way to keep any tensions under control and everyone working towards a common goal with the minimum of "roadblocks" getting tossed in the way by those not really on the band wagon.

Starfox5

• Corporal
    • My Fanfictions
« Reply #668 on: 24 January 2021, 05:52:46 »
So, instead it's the 15% telling the 85% how to live? Shitty system, and utterly undemocratic. Of course, that works fits the Hegemony very well.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #669 on: 24 January 2021, 06:40:32 »
So, instead it's the 15% telling the 85% how to live? Shitty system, and utterly undemocratic. Of course, that works fits the Hegemony very well.
Power imbalances happen.  I was kinda shocked at the majority requirement myself.  I've never seen nor read of a clean election that had that broad a spread without something hinky in the background.  These being human beings, you'd pretty much HAVE to rig it to pass that threshold of 85%...but, as a filtering mechanism it's not a bad method.

The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Starfox5

• Corporal
    • My Fanfictions
« Reply #670 on: 24 January 2021, 06:46:03 »
No, it's not a filtering system - it's an effective "nothing will change" method.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #671 on: 24 January 2021, 07:37:51 »
No, it's not a filtering system - it's an effective "nothing will change" method.

exactly why it's a filter.  consider this:

To get past that 85%  requires one of two methods:

1. The colony world is actively dying soon, and joining is the only way to prevent the death of 100% of the population and they're well enough informed to know this.  (or a similar threat that is publicly known and believed well enough).

2. Rigging the election.  If someone has enough pull to rig that election, then they've got enough pull to guarantee a certain minimum level of cooperation, either through fear, or sme form of greed, but mostly by being trusted well enough that the result of the election will seem legitimate to the local public-either way, what it indicates is there is a body within the population that can keep order and is inclined to follow orders from the headquarters plausibly enough to require minimal effort to maintain control without the rest of the nation's resources being dumped into forcing compliance.  (Either because local forces are strong enough, or clever enough, to do that job already).

More realistic numbers will present a lack of sufficient force to either impose Hegemony order long-term, or at minimum make that significant enough threat to make it undesirable to actually absorb such a world, since it will require more resources to keep in line.

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Starfox5

• Corporal
    • My Fanfictions
« Reply #672 on: 24 January 2021, 08:02:47 »
But on a planet where you just freed the slaves, such a margin is very, very problematic. There'll be more than 15% people who have reason to fear joining a polity like the Hegemony, namely everyone who profited from slavery.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #673 on: 24 January 2021, 08:37:43 »
But on a planet where you just freed the slaves, such a margin is very, very problematic. There'll be more than 15% people who have reason to fear joining a polity like the Hegemony, namely everyone who profited from slavery.

That's kind of the point though.  Their mission wasn't liberation, it was practice and elimination-the threshold would be lower, if the mission was to bring those worlds in, but it really wasn't.  However, to reduce the intensity of domestic criticism in the Hegemony, the government can say "Well, they voted against it."  and thus, save the vast expense necessary to recover those worlds and restore a more rational economy.

Here's what's going to happen (highest probability):  any of the bandits that survived the invasion will wait a bit, either survived because they weren't there at the time (raiding somewhere else) or survived by going to ground with celerity and cleverness.  Either way, as soon as the TH is gone, the bandidos will be be back, so that in a little while, the Hegemony can send another punitive expedition to do the same thing over again.

Think of it as a live-fire exercise that bleeds.  If the Hegemony wanted to make the scale of investment necessary to bring the Tortuga worlds up to hegemony standard, the threshold would be a lot lower, a lot more reasonable, like 60%, or even 50%+1.  Setting at 85% means that technically they offered fair terms for joining, but...not really, because there was no actual official-level desire to deal with the problems of those worlds and make them worth something.

Starfox5

• Corporal
    • My Fanfictions
« Reply #674 on: 24 January 2021, 08:48:43 »
But why was the Lt. General surprised, then? Shouldn't he have expected that? And who gave such a cynical order? Shouldn't we have seen the planning behind that?

vianca

• Corporal
« Reply #675 on: 24 January 2021, 09:11:48 »
Sorry for my ramble lenght folks.
Just some stuff I am wondering about, with this story.

So that means that the Dominion gets to blab it's head, when Comstar comes calling.
Who naturally will gift them some old jumpships & dropships, loaded with old gear.
Just so they can go back to their old ways.

Worse, the 81% might become problematic, when they hear they are leaving.
Expect trouble, both against the 19% no voters (even if by not voting) and the units themselves, for leaving.
Besides, they helped them for how long?
Is 81% not a clear majority, just like 85%???
They might as well demand 99% .
As for the no voters, do they even want to stay or not?
Should they not have added such a second vote to the join or not vote as a double vote question?
Voting A: Join Hegemony: yes or no.
Voting B1: if vote tally is yes, do you stay? yes or no.
Voting B2: if vote tally is no, do you stay? yes or no.
This would have given them something more to work with, like if most no voters voted to relocate if it was a yes.

I do have to ask, when where the Wolf Dragoons supposed to go pirate hunting?
Somebody did their job for them, with gear that's atleast Royal, if not more so.
I actually am wondering how the Wolf Dragoons reacted to learning that Kerensky killed the Hegemony with his Exodus.

Now something else, the SLS Surprise and the SLS Manassas, Amaris did not use it, so he clearly did not have that data, completely.
Would the Hegemony have recovered that missing data from the sites the tech was developed?
Not that they haven't developed something better then the Manassas her drive upgrade, that is.

And what about other SLDF places that had research programs going on, back then, when Amaris did his thing?
Like Victoria CC, Artu and other such places.
Heck, even Shady Palms & NIOPS seem like places of interest.
If I was the Hegemony, I would have re-activated Camelot Command, by now.
Gabriel has the problem of being in a system with a colonised (Lyran) world and thus gives problems getting to it.
Would actually suggest emptying it in order to restore Camelot Command, same for Mundo Nublar.

And if they can figure out how to give wrecked jumpships a shove to outside observation range, then they can jump in a yardship (with attached modular station jumpcore grinder) in order to jump that wreck out as cargo, to a more safe location.
Really, they need a longjump Newgrange, that has more collars then four.
Go for say, 30 collars, by adding a Potemkin to her, that allows things like Mammoth spareparts storage, ASF carrier dropship protection and even Snowdens for resource mining operations.
Hell, this even lets them add a modular station it's dockyard section as cargo, so it can replace it's own core, if needed.
At a similar module for food production and...
As for name, you could call it a Newkin, for it's linage, which naturally everybody will bastardise into "New-King (of construction)".

So, how many M-9 Pavise class defence stations are being constructed?
Even if they act as spokes on a Olympus...
And when is the first Olympus class yardship going to be created?
Can they use the Athena class of warships as inspiration for some of the shape design choices?
Still think that if increased in mass, a bit, a Athena could become a nice mobile repair jumpship.
Just think, upscaled Snowden with attached M-9 Pavice enclosed dockyards.
Good for colony infrastructure building and fixing general battle-damage on warships.
And best of all, if you limit certain stuff, less risk when losing one, then a superjumping Newgrange.
Yet when combined as a taskforce, could potentially increase the Endo-steel & FF-armor repair & construction jobs of the Newgrange, if taken that way.
Basically a general low cost yardship, that can fix the smaller warships and construct a colony it's orbital infrastructure, like say a Alliance class space station.....
It would free up the Newgranges for the more specialist jobs, like fabrication of jumpcores.
Yet they would not need to bring in a Hudges class modular spacestation, either.
So yeah, I basically propose they design two new yardships, one for their colonisation infrastructure and the other for their more long range operations.

I really do not get the whole VDNI and it's variants, their reasons of implanting location.
We have a lower brain section to which our spinal colom connects to, we have a tailbone and we have artificial limbs and do on.
Could they not have gone that route and double down on the SLDF ASF pilot suit?
On that side track, is it not funny those SLDF ASF pilot uniforms have what's bacisically a mini-VRPP (virtual reality piloting pod) in the helmet?
A tailbone implant would potentially let them get the most important thing of the Skinwalker, it's no need for a gyro.
Which could thus be a funny anti-AI development, if a un-intended one.
Would also make a good security check as well, to prevent easy theft & use of Hegemony gear. (And if done right, could let the girls dress up as quite realistic devils, for a fun night, of the lemon type. All it needs is a powered devils tail on a very fun harnas {if you're a female, that is})
Sorry, but the VHS videotape, the DVD and even youtube, became big because of lemon rated stuff, so them not using it to earn back some money...
That it could lead into a Gargoles(?) styled exoskeleton.....

The SLDF infantry uniform & gear, includes a nice helmet, with inbuild viewing mode display switch systems, in what seems to be, a hologravic HUD (heads up display) system, while the SLDF tanker uniform seems to have more (torso) armor.
Can they thus develop a general piloting & infantry uniform with all their plusses, that can thus also work as under clothing for a Nighthawk style exoskeleton?
The Manei Domini artificial body replacement parts, seem ideal for both exoskeleton, tank, ASF & mech uses, as a starting point.
With a SLDF neurohelmet they should be able to fine control them, but they also allow you to better run your Beagle Active Probe in a more passive detection mode.
Meaning you can go full stealth and thus added even more passive detection gear (camera's) from the Chameleon Light Polarization Shield it's armor & camera setup. (eyes & ears, to look & listen, but not speak)
A Nova CEWS setup would only take it to the next level, via data sharing.
Still, why do the exoskeletons not use a power bocking (jumping stilts) setup for the legs?
That lets them save on jump engine fuel and even get a extra mile out of them as well, while running faster for less heat & energy.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Surprise
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mundo_Nublar
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Aegis
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Manassas_(Individual_Aegis-class_WarShip)

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Victoria_(CC)
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Carlos_Dangmar_Lee_BattleMech_Research_Center
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Shengli_Arms

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Artru
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Outpost_Castle_Nautilus
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Shady_Palms
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Niops

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Nova_Combined_Electronic_Warfare_System
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Chameleon_Light_Polarization_Shield
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Null_Signature_System
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Beagle_Active_Probe
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Nighthawk
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_stilts

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Pavise
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Olympus
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Athena_(WarShip_class)
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Alliance_(Space_Station_class)

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Manei_Domini
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Buffered_Vehicular_Direct_Neural_Interface
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Vehicular_Direct_Neural_Interface
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Enhanced_Imaging
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Enhanced_Imaging_Neural_Implant
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_SLDF#Fighter_Pilots
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Virtual_Reality_Piloting_Pod
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Skinwalker_(Ryoken_III)
« Last Edit: 24 January 2021, 09:46:00 by vianca »

cklammer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #676 on: 24 January 2021, 09:12:27 »
That is why in real-live democracies the majority level for these kind of significant votes is usually at 66%.

But no problem: a nice short civil war/pogrom/wave of arrests later the 81% will be more than 85% next time and the remainder will be significantly less than 15%.

Then re-run the vote.

In the meantime do not let anyone emigrate to the Hegemony.

« Last Edit: 24 January 2021, 10:39:09 by cklammer »

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #677 on: 24 January 2021, 09:16:03 »
I suspect there will be a not insignificant number of people who want to leave with the extracting troops.  And not just the two Majors' people.

cklammer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #678 on: 24 January 2021, 10:43:41 »
Anyone who wants to emigrate gets to have s gun and five mags with anmunition for 10 refills.

Then they get to told that the only way for them to get to the Hegemony is to have another vote with 85% and have the Hegemony come here: make the 81% the 85%.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #679 on: 24 January 2021, 10:56:48 »
Can we leave the real-world politics out of this? And maybe tone down the enthusiasm for mass-murdering dissidents a little?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #680 on: 24 January 2021, 11:37:25 »
Its disappointing, but 2ndAcr must have something planned.  So i won't let us get crazy about it.

Perhaps if not a actual part of the Hegemony, maybe an affiliated one instead.  Can't be Mary Sue of nations 100% of the time.

This is arguably this 1st major action of 31st Century for the Hegemony, as the Hegemony.  So there going be sore feelings about "ungrateful" people.  However, there must something else going on.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2021, 15:08:29 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #681 on: 24 January 2021, 13:04:13 »
Well, that kicked off some discussions. So, let me do a little more clarification.

1) The 85% margin is the same "standard" that Rita Mitchell used back in 2767. So they maintained that standard
2) This operation did not start out as one of conquest or even growth, but to stamp out a threat
3) Though some "improvements" were done on Dominion worlds, it was not massive to entice them
4) Even though the New Delphi Compact has been heavily favored with the Hegemony, they are still independent
5) There are pro's and con's for every action, you will see the Dominions again

There are always going to be some issues with how things work out, but for info, I rolled a single die 6 and it came up as a failure on the vote, so I had to write it like that. But, let's keep real world away from this stuff please.

Now, Vianca......The Hegemony uses Slip Stream technology for their warships. They already have Newgrange that can travel 950LY in a week time for any repairs. They have smaller Builder Yardships for close in work. System defense is mainly Bastion Stations, backed by the Hegemony Navy.

Most of what you posted is already wide spread. They still have Nighthawk Power Armor, their own light BA in the Ferret (though it is called Power Armor). Most weaponry is already Clan Spec, except PPC and Pulse Laser. They have not progressed much on the PPC since the ER Large Laser is such a vast improvement over everything.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #682 on: 24 January 2021, 13:19:53 »
They do have the Enhanced ER PPC (the one that does 12 damage), right?

ThePW

• Warrant Officer
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
« Reply #683 on: 24 January 2021, 13:25:36 »
Somebody mentioned Comstar. Now we know in this AU, the hegemony has some control over C* (whether or not the First Circuit thinks they drive the topic bus or not is TBD) but where is C* focus now? at this time? The FWL and Wolf's Dragoons. I think...

paulobrito

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #684 on: 24 January 2021, 13:40:21 »
They do have the Enhanced ER PPC (the one that does 12 damage), right?
Yep, from the Wolverines. Apparently, don't continue development/research.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #685 on: 24 January 2021, 13:56:14 »
 Yes, there are still a few Enhanced PPC in use, but not many use them, mainly the Wolverine built designs. The Clan ER Large Laser, which they have, just meets and exceeds the performance values of the Enhanced PPC. Almost as much damage, longer range, less heat, lighter and takes up less space.

The ER Large Laser is the Hegemony go to energy weapon for those reasons. Heavy hitting at range is the Gauss Rifle.

Hegemony controls all ROM functions along with most communications on Terra and all Class A stations. Comstar see's what the Hegemony wants them to see basically.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #686 on: 24 January 2021, 13:58:17 »
No need to develop the Enhanced PPC really... it achieved headcap capability at range.  If you want something scary, make a Blazer Cannon out of clan ER Larges (7 tons, 2 crits, 20 heat, 15 damage, ALL THE RANGE!).

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #687 on: 24 January 2021, 14:00:04 »
No need to develop the Enhanced PPC really... it achieved headcap capability at range.  If you want something scary, make a Blazer Cannon out of clan ER Larges (7 tons, 2 crits, 20 heat, 15 damage, ALL THE RANGE!).

you are an evil man.... i like it   >:D

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #688 on: 24 January 2021, 14:05:34 »
It's worse if you do it with clan ER Mediums: 2 tons, 2 crits, 10 damage, 10 heat, 5/10/15 range...  It's a "truly" light PPC...  ^-^

And people wonder why I prefer Succession War tech...  ::)

Seydlitz

• Private
« Reply #689 on: 24 January 2021, 14:41:17 »
The Hegemony may have to reconsider their complacency regarding PPC and Pulse Laser development once they see what a Warhawk C piloted by a even remotely skilled MechWarrior is capable of.
Perhaps me thinks, Hegemony Security will have a breakthrough after Wolf's Dragoons hires on a skilled yet "disgruntled" ex-Screaming Eagle MechWarrior. One who just happens to discreetly  copy a certain technical database full OmniMech blueprints. ^-^