Register Register

Author Topic: Ghosts of the Dead Part 2  (Read 5524 times)

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Ghosts of the Dead Part 2
« Reply #90 on: 18 July 2021, 06:44:09 »
Even better!  When they get around to making Winters a Brigadier, they need to make Hayes a Commodore...  ^-^

Oh, and has the ELH got wind of these guys yet?  ???

Tegyrius

• Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #91 on: 18 July 2021, 08:33:33 »
Oh, and has the ELH got wind of these guys yet?  ???

Yes, but the J-1 and J-7 shops are embroiled in a vicious urinary olympiad over who gets to rewrite FM 66-31.2785: Star League Cosplay Operations.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 18 July 2021, 08:51:33 »
:toofunny:

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #93 on: 18 July 2021, 10:29:56 »
@TEGYRIUS

:))  LMAO  :thumbsup:

where is that dang LIKE button????

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 18 July 2021, 23:35:12 »
 :lol:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #95 on: 20 July 2021, 00:20:54 »
From Cannonshop and Me:

There must be some kind of way outta here

Said the joker to the thief

There's too much confusion

I can't get no relief

All Along the Watchtower
Bob Dylan

Rowe-McClaren Labs, Arluna...

It's been sitting in storage for just over ten years now, a piece salvaged from an SLDF transport ship found by prospectors working for Rowe-McClaren corporation.

It doesn't look like much, just a normal White Shark antishipping missile, something anyone can build who's got a grasp of ballistic missile design, except for the pasting of warning codes and colorations around the warhead.

The firm didn't have the manpower or budget to fully investigate this, and probably that's for the best, it went into company-owned storage in the 40s, just an inventory number on a manifest with notations for later investigation.

Sweetie wouldn't have even noticed it, if a Sanglamore Cadet who'd heard rumors of a regiment from history and legend hadn't written a letter and forwarded holos, hoping to impress her father with her initiative in short-cutting the mystery before the tech teams could start dismantling the found weapon.

Kerensky never got the chance to order a purge of SLS Tiger Claw's ordnance and armaments database, and the 90th had hosted quite a lot of classified material as a Royal Regiment.

"Ohmygod." Tommy studied the result of a fifteen second database search.  "Those were supposed to be destroyed, holy shit."

He didn't wait to write a report. He didn't wait to finish dressing.

In the hierarchy of bad ideas, there are bad ideas that can make a mess, like trying to treat depression by radiation exposure in the 19th century, or open-air sewers in that same era, or drinking oxidized lead as a sweetener (something done in Roman times) for wine.

and then...there's things that someone did, and mankind was lucky they were stopped.

UV resistant bioweapons with shelf-stability estimated into the millenia fit those, and while Kerensky had advised Simon Cameron to end the project and order the materials destroyed, there's always a risk that you miss some, so the color-codes for the test rounds were still in Royal Regimental databases when Stephan Amaris shot Richard Cameron...just in case something slipped into the supply chain or a site wasn't completely cleansed.

There is no 'safe enough' with a potential level-zero superbug.

======================================================================

To: Lt. Bruce Gilmour

RE: Attention to orders

You are to proceed with available forces from Inarcs (Lyran Commonwealth) to Arluna (Lyran Commonwealth).
Once there, you are to secure the facility at the attached coordinates and recover dangerous biowarfare materiel for
immediate destruction by solar immersion.

That's right, you're to go to Arluna, walk into a privately owned site, collect (UNDAMAGED) a warship-grade missle topped with a biohazardous payload that if it gets out, will kill billions.  You are to proceed to take that missile up into space, and fire it into the local sun.

You are to do this immediately, all other operational concerns are moot. given it's going to be a few days before you can jump out of there? I'm working with the Lyran authorities to get you the necessary permissions and clearances.

Bruce, this is as high a priority as I can possibly give, Kerensky thought he ordered the project dismantled and abandoned, but some of it looked like it might 'leak through' and it looks like that's exactly what happened.  Our friend says there may have been an affiliated facility on the planet as well, and has coordinates.

Enclosed are the specifics of this bioweapon that we're also forwarding to AFFC's medical people so they can identify symptoms if you fail or there's another one and it gets loose.

We're saving civilization again, after all.

Sam.

A Star League Gunslinger has to master wearing several hats. Don Carlos, Bruce's predecessor had expanded his pupil's education in ways the younger man hadn't even considered.  The long brutal battles on Elbar an Terra had done even more.

"I'm not a damned superhero, Sam." Major Bruce Gilmour, Gunslinger of the 90th and boss of the Thirteenth Assault Company, thought wearily.  Finishing his third reading of the Colonel's orders, he was ....

Disgusted. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

No Star League....check
Billions dead in centuries of oneupmanship....check
Sarah, Alex all our friends gone...check
Superbug on a crime ridden world that Big K forgot to handle in his rush to run away....Come on now! Seriously?

The malady that had been settling over the unit had hit their Gunslinger just as hard. The gulf of centuries and spatial physics robbed the Tigers of the future they'd fought and all too often died for. A new, even promising future was taking shape around them.
Still, there only so much any group could take. Only so many times you can save the universe.

Giving himself an internal shake, Bruce went over his plans for Arluna.

First; the crew...

Tommy Lindon and the travel splinter of Sweetie, to navigate the data networks of the target.

Mike Kelso, now that he was out of regen. Probably the best shooter and looter with Didi still on Tamar.

Mech'Rat, of course, to run the c3 support alongside Tommy.

The Terrible Two, because The Terrible Two.

And finally...speak of the devil herself.

Grace walked in with a harried look on her face.

"Lizzie's on her way, boss, Sam copied your orders to her and she has some things to go over with you. Political shit."

Lovely. I kept the thought off my face and just nodded.

"I'll need you packed for a vacation, but with guns. We'll do a full brief tomorrow at 0900."

"Me?!" Gracie's eyes widened. "Who's gonna look after lil bit?"

"Katya, Lizzie knows her and to be honest she'd stick out like a sore thumb on Arluna. Why, did you finally find a boyfriend? It's been a couple of centuries. "

Gracie gave me a sour look.

"Mind your business, dad."

I chuckled

"Well at least for this op, you'll have one, me."

"Say what?!"

Tamar
Didi

Dido Moran leapt off the downed Nova. Muck and hydraulic fluid spattered off her Night Hawk armor. Caudle Rift's jungle enfolded her as a point of Jade Falcon Elementals tried to get a lock on her. The thump of grenade launchers sounded from the Elemental's flanks as Grimsby and Fernando's Hammer rounds found two of the point's weak spots. One DRT, the hardened needles ripping through the Clanner's abdomen at a joint. The other crashed the motive assembly at the opponents spine. The jade green armored trooper crashed to the ground.  Despite having Star League era knowledge about Team Animal Control aka Task Force Kowloon, the Clanner's very upbringing still led them to seek out stand up fights on their terms. The Tigers were having none of it.

Hit, fade, skulk and snipe. Having the choice of battlefields made things easier. That and Natasha's Wolves being somewhat closed mouthed and all innocent eyed about their own trial.

"Now Nathan Roshak, you can't expect me to spoil your fun. Now can you?" Natasha had said.

It had helped.

But not much.

Eleanor and Mitch were both down. Life signs from Mich Sovino's Firestarter were faint, but the trashed machine's DI reported him stable for now. Eleanor had done well in her unfamiliar Nova, what the Tigers were calling the Arrow Frog after what it looked like to them. At least until she'd run into Henry ****** Ngo.

She'd managed to stay just out of arm's reach. Peppering the larger machine with a well moderated series of stabbing laser shots, she'd made one mistake.  A simple misstep brought her too close to Ngo's Summoner.

That was all it took. Henry had smashed the lighter machine to the ground. It had looked like wonder boy was going to finish Eleanor off with a kick to the canopy when a hulking, nasty Man O'War burst through the trees and straight into Ngo's Summoner physically slamming it to the ground.

Geoff Winger had scored a well placed kick that snapped the spine. A wave of fire ripped over his assault machine as Didi caught a glimpse of Roshak's own Summoner through the overwhelming wall of vegetation. Signaling her team to follow, she slipped out after the Clan officer.

Unseen by any of them, with the skill only a soldier of the Black Watch could muster, Elizabeth Hazen tracked the Falcon commander while the decendant if another Gunslinger from another 90th was lining up a shot in another Hussy.

Some religions say hell is a fiery hot place.

Caudle Rift was already hot. The fire was about to get out of control.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2021, 12:46:36 by blacktigeractual »
The thing about Marauders is this, the big bad MAD was never unseen, reseen or whatever. We were always there.

I want to build something REAL....I want to bring our people out of the DARK AGES while there's something to save.
Elizabeth Ngo

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #96 on: 20 July 2021, 00:39:59 »
while the ancestor of another Gunslinger from another 90th was lining up a shot in another Hussy.

don't you mean Descendant?

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #97 on: 20 July 2021, 12:47:23 »
don't you mean Descendant?

Yup, changed, thanks.
The thing about Marauders is this, the big bad MAD was never unseen, reseen or whatever. We were always there.

I want to build something REAL....I want to bring our people out of the DARK AGES while there's something to save.
Elizabeth Ngo

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #98 on: 20 July 2021, 20:26:26 »
So it's off to Arluna to avert a disaster for one Tiger detachment.  Wonder what other things they could fix there.   Looking forward to see how the Trial against the Clan Jade Falcons go.    If it wasn`t for Henry Ngo, the Tigers would have wrapped it up sooner?

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #99 on: 21 July 2021, 02:05:09 »
So it's off to Arluna to avert a disaster for one Tiger detachment.  Wonder what other things they could fix there.   Looking forward to see how the Trial against the Clan Jade Falcons go.    If it wasn`t for Henry Ngo, the Tigers would have wrapped it up sooner?

The fun never ends, as for the Falcons....maybe a little. Henry's an ace so there's that. The rest of the Falcons are still highly talented pilots with better over all equipment. So it's going to be nasty.

Elizabeth Ngo

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #100 on: 21 July 2021, 17:54:06 »
(Have the Cowboy Bebop OST playing...or Ocean's Eleven)
Cannonshop and BTA
Liz
In transit

Bruce looked hollowed out with fatigue when I floated across the umbilical to his ship.

It's starting to hit, I think.  "B? I've...I mean...scheisse..." I pause myself, and anchor my feet on the p-way's ladder.

"What's up Lil'bit?" He asks.  "You got cc'ed the orders from sam-"

"Yeah..." I take a deep breath, then open my overgarment's cargo-pocket.  "I've been given Rowe-McClaren's marker on the site."  I hand it to him. "but it's not going to be smooth."

"Oh?"

"Her Majesty wanted a service in exchange."  I tell him, "for brokering the transfer on the mortgage from Rowe-McClaren to Ngo Enterprises LLC."

"What kind of service?" he demands.

"Nobody likes the tax man." I tell him, "I'm supposed to look for evidence of corruption and fraud, and report it back to Her Highness.  Why doesn't anyone think I'm smart except when it's inconvenient??"

"Wait," the normally pale Gunslinger's complexion, ghostly pale now from recuperating on a DropShip in transit, went grey. "You're going? On a recovery mission for a WMD on a corrupt, skankhole of a noble's playground?"

I let the poor man vent. He really does mean well, my replacement Big Bro'.

"Well, yeah, Evie's pitching a fit, but vapid bored drugged out Duchess goes to play...besides Truk, Moshe and Red will be providing security. Trust me, I really, I mean really don't wanna leave NOW, of all times."

"Then why...oh." he blinked.

"Yeah, oh." I sighed. "Everyone is going to be paying attention to the party girl and not to the middle manager from Kowloon, playing fast and loose with the corporate card."

I couldn't resist flashing back to a conversation with Gracie....

"Besides, the Jungle Room at the Arms? Shit B, I knew you and Gracie were kinky, but dayamn...."

Watching my favorite stomper of Wolves, corrupt officials and knight in much stained armor sputter in disbelief was...

Well, truth be told, it would be one of my favorite memories in times to come.

Synthia
Traveling

Sweat did interesting and annoying things in microgravity, Leena Calloway (aka Synthia Amaris 2.0) reflected as she went through her own series of rockjack MMA katas. Her muscles ached with the burn that told any athlete she was in the groove. It was times like these, that she felt free from the responsibilities she was shackled with. Dad... (Only he's not really your dad, you don't have one, retread. You're not even real...)

The good feeling dissipated at that thought. It had been coming more and more. Ever since she had recived her orders. Oddly it got stronger with every jump. A much ignored smaller voice told her she was becoming unstable. She should report to one of the families strongholds for Derezing.

Clamping down on the voices with the mental skill that anyone trained by Isokoru Satoh would recognize and appreciate, Leena, lets call her that for now, reached for her tablet,  chiming now with an incoming message.

So that cyberpsychosis ridden pile of Marik shit actually has actionable intel. Seems the Gunslinger is heading to Arluna. With the little druggie. So secure the pretty, off her grace.

Doable, might even be fun, except for shooting the kid. No Bueno. Still....

The jump chimes sounded.

Discontinuity

Shrapnel tore her sister apart as the dark shape of a Vulcan loomed. Her brother Takiro flies over the railing into the bay. Synthia cowers in fear as fire erupts around her.

Out of the mayhem a slender one eyed figure gathers her up. Instinctively she grabs on the elfin form, burying herself in his long hair.

The doctors and nurses try to separate them later as he collapses.  With the fury only a six year old girl can muster she stood, fists clenched a bulwark as strong as a Castle Brian.

"No! Tak told me to stay with him!"

A red haired angel came up as fire support then.

"You heard her, gentlemen, she stays. "

Mommy?

Curled up in the warm embrace of Hussy's cockpit with her father's arms around her. Playful and intricate jazz surrounds them as her new father reads her the Black Cauldron.

Reality snaps back in.

When it does, Synthia Amaris loses the 2.0 and gains....

"Daddy?!"

Lively brown eyes narrow.

"I'm coming Daddy, we have a lot of shit to talk about. "

If we're gonna save the universe...again.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2021, 20:00:33 by blacktigeractual »

Elizabeth Ngo

arcticwyrm245

• Recruit
« Reply #101 on: 21 July 2021, 21:05:31 »
If there is a clap emoticon I would have used it. Have this instead  :thumbsup: . Unless you are betraying my expectations with double agent stuff, then I will be very sad. I want the apparent transmigrator to have her happy end. Even if Mr. Bond Villian apparently thought this might happen.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #102 on: 21 July 2021, 21:07:25 »
 :clap: :beer:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #103 on: 21 July 2021, 23:15:44 »
If this helps, it's about love guys.
More from both of us.

Elizabeth Hazen
Tamar

Despite its Amaris origins, the TGR-1R-H Tiger Liz Hazen was riding was a pilot's machine. The Clanner's 'mechs were toys. Well equipped, amazing tech, but designed for playing games.

Not for Warre.

Snapping laser fire from her ferocious battery at yet another ****** Hellbringer. She charged. The Falcons they were facing were apparently well trained in "Inner Sphere" warfare. TBH, compared to the Wolves she'd faced, Liz supposed they were.

The Hellbringer she faced showed it. Reacting like a first year VMI cadet sparing with his instructors. Liz slipped inside his guard and overmatched him.
Leaving the stricken Clanner behind, a flash of light betrayed her target.

Nathan Roshak's fire had expertly severed Geoff Winger's Man O'War at the drive train.
Liz smiled grimly and loaded her dwindling supply of Phoenix DPLRM's.  Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Sandy's Marauder sliding into a sniping position.

Bang, bird boy, you're dead right there. She thought.

It was then, that all Hell broke lose.

Didi
Tamar

Tight quarters and long ranged weapons don't always mix the way you expect...or even want.

The cockpit of the summoner class Omnimech, like the Orion it is based on, is offset from the centerline.  Point Two Shelby Jade Falcon had been with the Redtails since Blackjack-which is to say, like Henry, she was one of the Blackjack Abtakha.  Unlike her trinary's commander, she didn't have the opportunity to claim the right to use a Summoner, and didn't really have the inclination.  She instead used a lighter machine-a Nova (inner sphere nickname 'blackhawk') in a ranged striker configuration that, if a bid is broken and the Trinary reverts to what Henry and Roshak term 'War' tactics, can provide some ranged support for the heavier machines.

But this is 'trial' rules, and she's getting beat up by a Marauder.

Shelby's a good pilot, and the drills the Redtails engage in include a lot of 'how to avoid dying' maneuvers particular for chicken-walker legged machines with a low profile silhouette.

Nevertheless, sometimes shit happens, and sometimes that shit happens to other people.

Shelby caught the motion of the opposing Star-League/Inner Sphere 'mech's top mount autocannon, and as she landed, she released all but the last of the pressure in her own 'mech's shock-absorbing legs, dropping to a crouch as the enemy pilot overcompensated from her jump.

The shot passed over her machine, and into the jungle-like undergrowth behind her.

One meter lower, and Nate Roshak would have become the late Nathan Roshak, hit unseen from behind by a missed shot.

as it stands, Didi saw the Summoner's shoulder mount missile system smashed in by a stray shot that glanced off the asymmetric cockpit assembly, and barely made it clear of the toppling 'mech.

The odds were a million to one, and the conditions meant that it could not have been done on purpose...

But Didi Moran found herself in the unenviable position of having to call for a medical emergency extraction because when a LBX solid slug round passes that close in the confines of a cockpit? there are consequences, including a patient trying to breathe through chunks of broken alloy and ferroglass that helpfully have embedded themselves through his combat suit and cooling jacket into internal organs, broken bones, and extensive blunt shock force traumas.

« Last Edit: 21 July 2021, 23:24:53 by blacktigeractual »

Elizabeth Ngo

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #104 on: 22 July 2021, 00:36:36 »
A nod to JA Baker

The stupidest things often trip you up, Liz thought. Case in point Quellis or as we knew it FDG-1761.

It started on the route planning for Arluna.

The Tigers had been puzzled when the Kowloon spacers had charted a longer, to them unusual course.

Lieutenant Commander Persaud spoke up.

"Why go all the way around? We could just run through Quellis...FDG-1761?"

The Rockjacks got real quiet then.

Chaim Nyguen, one of the powerplant techs spoke.

"No one, goes there by choice, it's a dead system, cursed."

The SLDF commander looked thrown for a loop.

"A dead system? How? I took my leave there during my first tour out of the Hegemony. The Rorrihir had some of the best barbeque in the sphere!"

"Who?" Liz asked, genuinely puzzeled.

"The Rorrihir, Marsupials, steam era tech, the Star League and the Commonwealth had an outpost on world, they were what," she looked at Bruce "the twenty second sentient species the Terran Alliance found?"

Bruce, who had a look of growing horror on his face answered.

"Yeah, out of thirty nine, from the stone age Cham to the Vaygr who were in the information age, Director McKenna had initiated the Clear Horizon Directive to protect non human species"

Every Rockjack in the room started at the words Clear Horizon Directive.

"Special Order 4119," Chaim stated flatly "the Clear Horizon Directive, protected aliens."

"Yeah, I mean humans got thier shit together first, but there are so many habitable worlds out there, well what are you going to do? Kill everyone you meet? It makes no sense." B looked real suspicious now.

Liz shook herself.

"Bruce, things happened differently here..."

It was not by any means common knowledge,  to most of the Inner Sphere Clear Horizon was an urban myth. If they'd even heard of it. Sentient Aliens? Even more so. The Rockjacks, however, had their own knowledge. Backed up by direct observation in many cases. System after system was discussed. The Tigers' navigational databases parsed. The end result was...bad. Just say that.

It was, she would reflect later a bad night. In Bruce's timeline there were two point five billion Rorrihir. Nine billion Vaygr. The list went on.

At the end Liz found herself thinking, "Are we really worth fighting for?"
« Last Edit: 22 July 2021, 01:05:37 by blacktigeractual »

Elizabeth Ngo

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #105 on: 22 July 2021, 05:54:42 »
Well, i totally missed this story! Is this it's on AU?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #106 on: 22 July 2021, 06:09:21 »
Well, i totally missed this story! Is this it's on AU?

The alien thing comes from this thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/who-goes-there/

It fit my own 'verse, in that this one thing, the inner sphere did right where the Tigers are from...nobody killed the basically defenseless aliens. Here of course, things are different.

Elizabeth Ngo

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #107 on: 22 July 2021, 06:37:25 »
So it looks like someone interfered with the between the 90th and Jade Falcons?  Is it Comstar or is it the Duke Kelswa?

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #108 on: 22 July 2021, 06:57:27 »
So it looks like someone interfered with the between the 90th and Jade Falcons?  Is it Comstar or is it the Duke Kelswa?

Nope, it's just how the battle is going. The Tigers and Falcons are pretty much beating the hell out of each other.

Elizabeth Ngo

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #109 on: 22 July 2021, 08:20:05 »

It was an aw-shit caused by the forces of Murphy.  See, Shelby  was being backed off while Nate was moving lateral in a confined position. she ducked a shot taken-well, objects in motion tend to stay in motion, and inertia, plus firing angle, plus velocity, plus random ****** chance.  A million-to-one blind hit and Nate Roshak's going to need an intensive care unit if he lives through being extracted from his 'mech.

Up to this point, nobody's actually died yet.  Some close calls-Henry got a little feisty and almost screwed up bad enough to kill someone, but in general both sides have focused on breaking gear instead of killing personnel.  (for the Falcons, a matter of honor, for the 90th, a simple matter of being practical-don't give your adversary a good reason to want you dead).

but, shit happens in the confusion of close-quarters fighting.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #110 on: 22 July 2021, 19:54:41 »
Trial site...

Nathan Roshak was unconscious, but recovering from field surgery.  He'd lost a lot of blood, along with a lung, almost lost half the other one.

It was like a turnaround-Henry watching the man who'd waited almost a month while he lay in intensive care, now in much the same condition Henry had been in before meeting the man himself.

"Hank, I'm sor-" Shelby began.

He gripped her arm, "Do not apologize." He told her, "I could have lost you both, and did not."

"What happens now?" she asked.

Henry shrugged.  "I...lack a ****** clue." he said earnestly, "Morgan Icaza is in command for the moment, he is handling the final discussions about whether or not we will be allowed to leave, or held as Prisoners of War."

"But it's a tri-"

"THey're not the Clans, Shelby, they're the Star League."  Henry emphasized, "means they play by SLDF rules, not Nicholas Kerensky's rules.  after the crap showing we put on out there? they're not going to take us seriously as military, they're going to probably treat me, at least, like a traitor...and the Tigers shoot traitors.  They give them a fair trial first, that's since Elbar, but they shoot traitors."

"and me?"

"You might skate." Henry told her, "I'll do my best there, try to take the responsibility for your defection, but we lost and Roshak's deal might not cut ice under SLDF regs.  Deals like that didn't cut ice during the hidden wars in the Combine."

"You got a 'D' in history." a voice spoke up, and Henry turned around.

the Tiger officer half lounging against the doorway casually flipped a Padd.  "D in history, barely passing most of your academics, and your lit scores sucked ass.  Obviously your little sister got the brains."

"She did." Henry confirmed.

"Yeah, nice speech, only the Star Colonel there, he forwarded your real records.  You're not going to bullshit anyone."  she placed the PADD on a table-surface.  "at least you're not standing in star struck awe at my face instead of my uniform."  Elizabeth Hazen strode over, and looked him up and down, before looking at Shelby.  "I assume he's going to get a 'forgot to duck' medal that you didn't.  That's war little girl.  Shit happens in combat, Your Colonel knows it, so does his XO, and now, so do you."

"So what happens now?" Henry asked.

"That's a very interesting question." Hazen said,  "See, you're right, under SLDF regulations we're within our rights to hold you as Prisoners of War, or offer you repatriation for other POW's...but that's not what your Clan buddies do, and I would be fascinated to find out why you switched your coat after being the last man standing in a suicide fight, because that shit isn't normal."

"You've met my sister." Henry said.

"Yeah...scary." Elizabeth Hazen asserted, "Scary, scary little girl, she was planning executions, and that's not normal."

"Well, I guess lizzie doesn't appeal to everyone, but she's...she's my sister, and she's sick, and there's no way they're going to fix her, but maybe the Clans could-"

"Not yet they can't." Hazen said. 

"I Know that!" Henry barked, "but they've got the only chance to even try."

"Not the only chance, not anymore."  Hazen stated, "you've got more options than that, and what about if she died before you won, huh?"

"Then maybe something could break the cycle of endless war." Henry stated, "The Clans restrict and regulate their conflicts, ma'am! They don't lay waste to whole planets or dump bioweapons on populations! And when they go overboard the others pull them back instead of cheering them on or emulating them!!"  his fist clenched, "You missed the last two hundred and eighty years, Ma'am.  Trillions dead, whole worlds rendered slag or too hazardous to even visit for salvage, and endless futile wars destroying more, and more, and more, every time."

"The clans tell you that??"

"No, my grandfather told me that." Henry snapped, "There are places they can't even find on the map because they were annihilated completely. an endless march of horrors, ma'am, someone has to make it stop, and the House Lords pause the bloodshed just long enough to gear up to start it over again!!  Someoen has to make it stop, make THEM stop, and the Clans are the best chance we've got to make it end and maybe, someday, get back some of what we've lost."

his eyes were steady as he spoke. 

It was a child's justification, in a way.  The naivete of a young man who saw a chance to make things better and had been told he could be a part of it, while his universe spiraled into repeated horrors his entire life, until someone told him his ideals were right, that something had to be done, something drastic because the old ways hadn't worked.

"what about you, chicky?" Hazen asked, "What's your story?"

'at first, I didn't wanna die." Shelby said, "Mark showed we could get respect, maybe not end up...but then, Henry-he..."

Henry squeezed her hand, and Shelby swallowed, "I have this." she said, "ma'am, my parents were on the wrong side of a reprisal in the Wolf zone last year.  I have nowhere left to go who will take me, and at least in the Clan I get some respect."

Henry winced at the admission.

"Reprisal?"

Henry spoke up, "they were resistance fighters." he spoke up, "I know enough about the Wolves that they wouldn't go apeshit on civilians, but she is right, they are dead."

skeptical?  the Wolves are rivals, the Clans would have propaganda, so why..? "Who told you?"

He nodded at the man on life support.  "He told me they couldn't have been civilians, not with how the Wolves treat their civilians, they wouldn't just kill them to keep the others in line like the Smoke Jaguars or the Coyotes would, so if they died, and we do have confirmation there, then Shel's parents were either in the crossfire between resistance forces in the Wolf zone, or they were the resistance fighters themselves...and that's why Clan Jade Falcon has to win this, and not a bunch of scumdog wardens or the ****** Jaguars, the Bears might be fine, but they can't keep the others in line like the Falcons can, and the Wardens would abandon the mission to go back to Strana Mechty and people here would just keep dying in ignorance and poverty as the Great Houses keep burning civilization to...to the ground.  We're the best chance they have, and we're not going to abandon them again."

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #111 on: 22 July 2021, 20:42:38 »
Editing for dates, as my hard working colleague just reminded me something very important happened on May 20, 3052.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QffouI6OA00

This is known as BTA ****** up. (In all fairness the inital error happened almost ten years ago in Part one.  :P )

Elizabeth Ngo

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #112 on: 23 July 2021, 00:05:41 »
Eh.. the existence of the tigers in 3050's, and the way they derailed the normal clan invasion events, would naturally result in ripple effects. Clearly with the tigers as an X factor, Comstar and Focht delayed their decision to offer a trial, and tukkayid will just happen a few months, or maybe a year later than in the prime timeline. During which time comstar will be trying to recruit the tigers for the comguard.

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #113 on: 23 July 2021, 16:01:49 »
Eh.. the existence of the tigers in 3050's, and the way they derailed the normal clan invasion events, would naturally result in ripple effects. Clearly with the tigers as an X factor, Comstar and Focht delayed their decision to offer a trial, and tukkayid will just happen a few months, or maybe a year later than in the prime timeline. During which time comstar will be trying to recruit the tigers for the comguard.
That was one of the things I was considering, but as it turns out simply fixing the in game timeline works without changing too much. The events have just enough time to play out.

Elizabeth Ngo

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #114 on: Today at 01:29:13 »
"Is there anything you want me to pass on to your sister when I see her?"  Elizabeth Hazen asked as the surviving Falcons queued to board their dropship.

Henry frowned, and hesitated.  "Yes." he said, "I will return home, and one way or another, she will live to curse my name in old age, but she will be alive and at peace."

"That's nuts, kid."

"Maybe so, but one way or another, the Star League will be restored." he told her with conviction, "The SLDF will uphold its obligation, and my sister will live to see it all...and maybe you might come to understand why this is the right thing."

"I doubt it." Hazen said firmly.

"it remains to be seen." he asserted.  "I have to go now.  It has been an honor and I mean that sincerely."

"You don't have to go, you could defect."

"again?" Henry shook his head, "no.  I made a choice before you appeared over Tamar.  You have two teams of researchers to work on saving my sister, a time-lost Regiment, someone has to make sure the Star League is restored, someone has to force the peace, and you only have the one regiment." he shrugged, "Someone has to make it happen, and the Crusaders are the only force that can force the issue.  As Nathan would say, if he were not comatose?  'with us, or against us, they will have to unite and restore it, either way, it brings back the Star League and ends the centuries of madness'."

"I can't begin to explain to you how wrong you are." Elizabeth told him.

"You've got your warden friends, look closer at their motives, Elizabeth Hazen." Henry cautioned, "Their path left billions, even trillions, to die repeatedly in laboratory made sickness and nuclear fire, allowed the knowledge my sister mourns to be lost, the Warden path allowed this.  Neglect and dereliction of duty led to this, we're fixing it.  Talk to your commanders, because with you or against you, the Clan is here to correct that and lift everyone up to where they should be...and you, personally, would be welcomed and honored, and maybe, will yet be."

Didi watched the exchange on the ramp, and then, the personnel door closed and the dropship was cleared, lifting off.

"With us or against us?" she asked.

"The kid's a fanatic."  Elizabeth Hazen stated, "I don't think they brainwashed him as much as just offered him something he wasn't getting somewhere else."

"What did they offer him?" Didi asked.

"Hope."  Hazen asserted, "They offered him the idea that something could be done, and that they could do it...and a set of emotional arguments tailor made for an angsty teenager, along with a culture custom-made to feed his ego and his belief.  Kind of reminds me of Moshe, honestly."

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #115 on: Today at 01:41:27 »
Butterflies and Ripples...

Nathan Roshak is in a medically-maintained induced coma while awaiting organ replacements.  This might seem a bit extravagant, but relative to his achievements for the Clan, and the simple fact he managed to live long enough to be recovered from his shattered cockpit, maybe not so much.  Waste not, Want not, and Roshak's off-the-field achievements make up for a lot in the context of the Crusader cause among the Clans. 

Not as much as he would be worth as a martyr, but the conditions of his injury don't favor martyrdom.  On the other hand, a voice that can recontextualize the Crusader/Warden argument in a way that frames the Warden side as at best neglectful of duty and at worst as grasping, selfish, and self-absorbed and the Crusader path as dutiful, has already influenced many moderates and 'uncertain' wardens over to the Crusader camp.

That makes keeping him alive worth the resources-if he can be made whole enough to speak again.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #116 on: Today at 01:44:41 »
And Hazen still has the right of it.  The crusaders can't possibly erase their prior dereliction of duty by invading and subjugating the sphere two centuries later.  I'll be curious to see if Roshak has any brain damage after that fight.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #117 on: Today at 02:59:26 »
Who cares about the fight, what about the fact of being in an induced coma for a long period of time. I was in one for four days and it took me nearly two weeks before I could walk again by myself once I got out of it.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #118 on: Today at 06:52:45 »
Good point!  :thumbsup:

Register