Register Register

Author Topic: The glow of a worm inside a child's eye...  (Read 41920 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: The glow of a worm inside a child's eye...
« Reply #840 on: 17 November 2022, 10:13:30 »
"So now that you've well and truly...

...kicked a hornet's nest, Liz, what's next?" Arthur passed her a brown glass bottle and an opener.  "Are you going to resign from civil service?"

"Yes." She cracked the lid, "I am going to do exactly that.  Victor could draft me for five years, and lo! I have, as of this morning, August 18, 3067, served my five years of indenture and can go about my business as a free woman."

The party was slowly, pleasantly, milling forward.

"What does that look like?" he asked, "I mean, I'm kind of stuck where I am..."

"You know that nice man who's been my bodyguard for about a decade?" she said, "Nathan?"

"Yeah.  The ex-Clanner."

"Yeah...I've decided to keep him.  You're invited to the wedding, and if you don't bring a date, I will have my staff find you one."

"I waited too long, didn't I?"

"yes, you did." she told him, "Don't wait any longer.  Penny wouldn't like it and I know I don't.  You've had five years to mourn, we've done huge things in that time, it's time for you to pull up your man-pants and find someone new...preferably, someone who I won't want to rip the eyes out of when I meet her.  There's that nice young Leutnant-Commander from 7th fleet? she might be a good match, or maybe the Taurian Trade delegate who's been giving you eyes since the reception started."

he unconsciously straightened.  "She's...you're sure?"

"Listen to me, Arthur Andrew Steiner-Davion, you will go over, you will walk up to that young lady, you will get her attention, and you will hit on her, or I'm going to do it for you and embarrass everyone." Elizabeth said sternly, "and don't think I won't just because you're my social superior and one of my oldest friends.  Remember-she could say 'no', but she might say yes and at least that way you'll have a reason to hang a sock on the door of your suite in the Palace!"

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #841 on: 17 November 2022, 12:25:51 »
Okay, time to tie this one off.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #842 on: 17 November 2022, 13:09:21 »
Aww, I was hoping for more Tabaranth and her sister butt-kicking. Hopefully you'll pick up this thread at some point in the future. But good work!

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
« Reply #843 on: 17 November 2022, 14:16:01 »

We'll wait... for a time.  ;D

Blade4

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #844 on: 17 November 2022, 15:49:32 »

Really just when you are getting to the good parts? Will he marry a Taurian provoking civil strife. What of the clans? The great purge of the corrupt and hopefully Katherine?

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #845 on: 17 November 2022, 16:25:35 »
Dang it.  You take away my last excuse not to work on my own.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #846 on: 17 November 2022, 18:53:17 »
How about a story where there is the equal and opposite to Liz?  A WoB agent who builds practical weapons, who builds a force composed of single designs but in large numbers (WoB Willow Run equivalent), drone technology so only a few people are needed to auto-harvest planets to provide the raw materials (Factorio/Satisfactory), HPG Pirate Point network to improve trade, and working to care for the people in the Protectorate to keep them loyal.

Officially she might even be defeated, but unofficially they just killed her stunt double and her influence remains.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #847 on: 17 November 2022, 19:00:13 »
Darn it!  I was really hoping to see where this one went long term...  :-\

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #848 on: 17 November 2022, 19:28:58 »
Darn it!  I was really hoping to see where this one went long term...  :-\
Same.. :'(
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #849 on: 17 November 2022, 22:02:55 »
Yup Katie vs Liz
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #850 on: 17 November 2022, 23:50:07 »
Sad to see the end, but it was a hell of a ride, and thanks CS for sharing. 5 stars, would recommend highly!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #851 on: 18 November 2022, 00:51:30 »
Yup Katie vs Liz
nah

That would just end with Katherine  hearing  Liz' voice as  the stealth battlearmor uncloaks in the throne room during a major function, "I was gonna stay away, but you killed my freind....."
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Lazarus Sinn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #852 on: 02 December 2022, 13:42:45 »
Just finished it. Outstanding story. I really liked it.
Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.