Register Register

Author Topic: Marrian Hegemony in 3014  (Read 1290 times)

Coriendal

• Master Sergeant
Marrian Hegemony in 3014
« on: 29 September 2021, 08:36:16 »
The origins of the Marian Hegemony lie from the demise of the old Alphard Trading Corporation during the Succession Wars. A Periphery native and lostech prospector named Johann Sebastian O'Reilly was searching for reputed lost caches of Star League technology on the planet Alphard rumored to have been left behind by the defunct company when he instead found a treasure trove of germanium worth billions upon billions of C-Bills.

Johann O'Reilly immediately hired some small mercenary units to protect his newly found wealth and established a colony to serve both as a trading hub and a distraction, diverting those who would follow from the location of his find. Despite the financial reserves Johann could draw on his new Hegemony was simply too small, unable to attract the defenders it would need to defend itself against larger states but too small to attract the attention of those states. As such, the Hegemony spent almost a century as little more than a bandit kingdom fashioned after a society that had been dead for millennia.

Founded in 2920.

Ruler: Imperator Johann Sebastian O'Reilly
Total (Inhabited) Systems: 9

So, in 10 years they added 8 systems to Alphard.

Lots of money should make attracting colonists and investment easier than it would normally be.

First up will be getting steady and reliable local food production.  That means seed crops, animals and mechanical assistance for what will be, at least initially, a limited population.

You have billions upon billions of C-Bills of germanium to sell.  Let’s buy up some older jump ships and drop ships.  Merchants and Invaders are plentiful and Mule, Trojan, and Buccaneer drop ships won’t raise to many eyebrows.

You recruit people with skills by paying signing bonuses and move them to your nation.  You ship in easy to assemble, pre-fabricated housing, food and other supplies and start building.  You concentrate on setting up a local economy and the factories that will make the things that will make the things you eventually want.
Then let’s get started.  Vehicle factories to build farm equipment, civilian transport equipment and trailers are a good start.  As a few years pass you call in a FWL company to build you an Industrial mech factory for harvester and mining mechs.  This gives you food reliability and raw resources on sight along with a gradually increasing population.  Schools, not just for education, but for indoctrination start you on the way to a loyal population.

Eventually you want to start building military equipment.  Finding disaffected employees with the know how to do what you want and getting them to come to Alphard shouldn’t be that hard(signing bonuses).

With the right population base in place, you invite a FWL company to build you some factories.

Vehicle factory:  First build 20-ton heavy APC’s and 25-ton Scorpion tanks.  Basic vehicles using a 100 ICE engine.  Then upgrade the factory using a 200 ICE engine.  Build a 40-ton Praetor tank moving at 5/8 with a SRM 6 and 4 MG in a turret and another SRM 6 in the front with 96 armor points.  Follow that with a 50-ton Consul tank moving at 4/6 with an AC 10 and MG in a turret with 144 points of armor.

Finally, once that is up and running add in a hover factory to build your Gladius 40-ton hover tank using a 145 ICE engine.  Give it two versions, one with an AC 10 in a turret and the second with a LRM 10, SRM 6 and 4 MG in a turret.

Now on to your prize, Mech and Aerospace factories.

To simplify production let’s use just one engine, the 240 fusion.
But how, you say.

Using a 240 fusion you can build 4 mechs.
30-ton Equite, 8/12, ML x3, SL.  A Mongoose clone.
40-ton Velite, 6/9/6, LL, ML x2.
60-ton Principe, 4/6/4, LL, LRM 10, SRM 6, ML x2.
80-ton Legatus, 3/5/3, AC 10, LL x2, MG x2.

You can also build 3 ASF’s.
30-ton Centurion
60-ton Hellcat
80-ton Vulcan

During this time the buying up of equipment from failed merc units and hiring of disaffected techs and pilots along with recruitment of scientists, farmers, workers and anyone that could help the new nation will continue.  Even runs of equipment could be purchased.  So, grabbing Wasps, Stingers, Fleas or Locusts that are literally built everywhere is possible.  Also buying up mechs and vehicles with bad reputations becomes much easier.  Blackjacks, Shadow Hawks and stock Banshees were occasionally bought to bolster that ranks of Caesar’s growing legions.

It would not be until 2980 and the discovery of Niops system that the Marrian’s would make their first major move in the periphery.  The commitment of all three legions to the assault of Niops allowed them to overwhelm the militia using complete surprise and brutal force.  The execution of several leading scientists(carefully chosen to weed out those most likely to lead rebellions) quelled the scientific castes taste for resistance.  It also garnered some good will from the oppressed population.

The discovery of many star league era plans for civilian and military equipment caused a second economic windfall.  Nighthawk PAL battle armor and other technical plans, sold sphere wide allowed them to mass enough money, resources and good will to finally get production of drop ships started at Niops.  The Union and Mule drop ships finally started production in 3005 with plans to build an Invader jump ship facility in the future.

By 3014 the Marrian’s have 13 systems under their control and boast an impressive 6 Legions, 2 of which are always at Niops, guarding the valuable facilities there.

Thoughts?

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Marrian Hegemony in 3014
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2021, 14:24:49 »
For the Mech design, go with the Velite as your basic Troopermech.  6/9/6, LL + 2*ML mean I have a very nimble Mech that doesn't have to worry about terrain limitations or ammunition resupply, making it very good for raiding missions.  Leaders can use the heavier/fancier Mechs, but the Velite will be issued to every qualifying Mechwarrior.

See if the Gladius can be re-engineered to use the 100-rated or 200-rated engine, as that will improve parts commonality.

Still, most of the equipment selected is ground-based, except for the ASF.  I'd like to look into a VTOL platform for scouting purposes.  Movement will be 8/12 or higher, likely using the 100-rated ICE engines once the heavier vehicles start being produced.  The Warrior VTOL will be developed in 2950, and will soon be ubiquitous across the entire Inner Sphere, so getting a few for the Marian Legions should be easy.  You will have to remove the SRM-4 and its ammo to replace the existing 50-rated ICE with a 100-rated ICE, but that just reinforces to the pilot that they should be scouting with it, not engaging.  You could try to get a factory on your planet to produce and sell the 50-rated engine platforms, while keeping the 100-rated engine platforms for yourself.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2021, 22:34:33 »
   Add a con-air recon fighter to the arsenal.
20 or 25 ton chassis with either a 100 or 200 ICE engine.
Primary job is recon and scouting. Secondary job bomb truck( or RL-10 truck).

Cheap and able to harass ground units. And in an environment where ASF fighters are pretty rare a good air asset.

Or option two for a real cheap ICE recon bird
https://the-farscape-campaign.obsidianportal.com/items/dragonfly-light-attack-aircraft

Drop 2 MG’s and a half ton of ammo fluff up a small cargo area and hatch and you have a MEDaVAC bird, light cargo version.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2021, 00:16:47 »
Using a 240 fusion you can build 4 mechs.
30-ton Equite, 8/12, ML x3, SL.  A Mongoose clone.
40-ton Velite, 6/9/6, LL, ML x2.
60-ton Principe, 4/6/4, LL, LRM 10, SRM 6, ML x2.
80-ton Legatus, 3/5/3, AC 10, LL x2, MG x2.

Nobody's really coming up with new 'Mech designs in canon, at least, in 2980, let alone a Periphery nation.  You could argue the first two, since they're basically a Mongoose and a Clint, but the latter two aren't off-the-shelf designs.  Where you're getting a factory able to produce four distinct BattleMechs in the 30th Century, when these factories are literally Lostech for the Inner Sphere, is another issue.  That's not something the FWL's just going to be able to one-off build for you.  If they could, they wouldn't have their own 'Mech shortages in this era.

It would not be until 2980 and the discovery of Niops system that the Marrian’s would make their first major move in the periphery.  The commitment of all three legions to the assault of Niops allowed them to overwhelm the militia using complete surprise and brutal force.  The execution of several leading scientists(carefully chosen to weed out those most likely to lead rebellions) quelled the scientific castes taste for resistance.  It also garnered some good will from the oppressed population.

The discovery of many star league era plans for civilian and military equipment caused a second economic windfall.  Nighthawk PAL battle armor and other technical plans, sold sphere wide allowed them to mass enough money, resources and good will to finally get production of drop ships started at Niops.  The Union and Mule drop ships finally started production in 3005 with plans to build an Invader jump ship facility in the future.

1. The Marian Hegemony, with larger and more advanced forces than in this story, was unable to fully conquer Niops in canon.  How were they able to overwhelm Niops' advantages in this setting?

2.  ComStar undoubtedly only tolerated Niops' Star League level technology in canon because they were small and kept to themselves. What's going to prevent them from pulling another "Vandenberg White Wings", where they blew up a WarShip rather than let the Taurians salvage it in 2979, and smacking down the nascent Marians, rather than seeing Star League tech proliferate across the Inner Sphere, which is the exact last thing they want to see happen?
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2021, 02:40:22 »
I could see the Legatus as a knock-off Awesome chassis except for the jumpjets.

The Principe fits in reasonably as similar to a Merlin, but that wouldn't be around for another couple of generations.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2021, 03:21:14 »
I could see the Legatus as a knock-off Awesome chassis except for the jumpjets.

The Principe fits in reasonably as similar to a Merlin, but that wouldn't be around for another couple of generations.

Yeah, but who's going to build them four separate production lines out in the middle of the Periphery at a time when the Houses can't replace their own lost factories, or produce enough 'Mechs to stave off their own battlefield losses?

The Marians garage-building one chassis at this time period I could see.  There's been plenty of Periphery powers who've done similar.  Hell, they do so themselves in the 3060s when they start producing their own Centurions.  A raid on Niops netting them additional technical know how?  Sure: again, they did that in the late 3060s, before the Word of Blake invaded Niops (and, notably, were eventually driven off).

But multiple production lines of BattleMechs built for them by the FWL in the 2900s?  And gathering enough forces to conquor a planet protected by four battalions of Star League 'Mechs, with vehicles and aerospace backing them up, where the most common, and only named, designs are the Black Knight, Burke and Highlander?  Then, selling that sweet Star League technical information across the entire Inner Sphere at a time when ComStar's actively blowing things up to stop technical advances?  That's...stretching things a bit.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2021, 03:47:04 »
I am curious to see what the Inner Sphere looks like, that might explain a lot more to this AU.

Coriendal

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2021, 12:05:06 »
Giovanni Blasini,

Good points.  Where is the four battalions of Star League mechs and vehicle types of Burke, Black Knight and Highlander from. 

This is why I run things by the more knowing on these boards.

I think the billions and billions of C-bills worth of Germanium got me excited.  That and going from one planet in 2920 to 9 planets in 2930.

Thanks, I will do more research.

Orangeduke38

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2021, 13:03:02 »
Niops was originally settled as a Star League research outpost and developed from there. It was isolationist and I think their mechs were the original garrison stationed there to protect them.

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2021, 13:28:15 »
Giovanni Blasini,

Good points.  Where is the four battalions of Star League mechs and vehicle types of Burke, Black Knight and Highlander from. 

Field Manual: Periphery.  Can't get an exact page citation at the moment, because my copy is dead tree, not PDF, and is in a box in storage.

This is why I run things by the more knowing on these boards.

I think the billions and billions of C-bills worth of Germanium got me excited.  That and going from one planet in 2920 to 9 planets in 2930.

Thanks, I will do more research.

I get the impression that most of those planets were probably sparsely inhabited and defended at the start, which would account for the rapid expansion.

On production, have them develop the regular (rather than primitive prototype) rocket launchers early because, really, why not?  Have them have brought enough tooling and know-how from the old Alphard Trading Company to build one solid medium trooper 'Mech using either Primitive BattleMech technology or IndustrialMech tech: the CN9-H or CN9-H2/H2H are a good starting point, and would just need the LB10-X autocannon swapped out with an AC/10, since the LB-10X is Lostech at this point.  You'd only need to drop 2 RL-10s, or a rear medium laser, or a ton of AC/10 ammo to do it.  The Industrial-based CN-H2/H2H both use a standard 200-rating engine, while the primitive CN9-H uses a 240-rating standard engine, 'cause Primitive Tech.

On aerospace fighters, Sarna's only showing Marian production of the Shilone in 3074.  If you want to confuse everyone, though, the CNT-1D Centurion is a decent fast fighter/bomb truck, and uses a 240-rating engine - just say it's those pesky myomers you're trying to get working efficiently, but your aerospace-grade fusion rocketry's OK.  If you want to go the 200-rating IndustrialMech route instead, you could make a license deal for Corsairs, or recovered an old production facility for Lightnings.

That'd give you a handy raiding force to irritate the crap out of your neighbors as the Hegemony slowly expands.  Then, if you're feeling particularly amused, after a raid on Niops introduces you to battlearmor, the Marians could decide to try their hands at their own homebrewed design, resulting in the Ravager, for their own use.

After which ComStar says, "Wait, what's going on out in the Periphery?" rather than, say, "KILL THEM WITH FIRE."

Niops was originally settled as a Star League research outpost and developed from there. It was isolationist and I think their mechs were the original garrison stationed there to protect them.

Yep.  Combination of original SLDF garrison combined with local garage builds.

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2021, 20:56:01 »
Field Manual: Periphery.  Can't get an exact page citation at the moment, because my copy is dead tree, not PDF, and is in a box in storage.

FM:P, p. 120
Actually 4 understrength battalions of mechs and vehicles, total strength less than 3 battalions. Topped off with infantry for a total of 4 regiments.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2021, 21:53:15 »
Does it list it as combined arms, or does it list it as all BattleMechs like every other product does, and never give a full breakdown of infantry and vehicles (I’m looking at you, Field Report Periphery, Field Manual 3085 and Field Manual 3145).

I ask because FM 3085, page 148 mentions “three of their four ‘Mech battalions shattered and their aerospace regiment cut in half by the Blakist attacks” but neither it nor page 152 mention vehicle or infantry strength, and page 152 only calls out “BattleMech Strength: 1 Regiment”, later stating it’s at 65% strength, 22% (D) upgrade rating.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2021, 22:01:56 by Giovanni Blasini »

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2021, 04:19:40 »
From the NIOPS ASSOCIATION MILITIA intro text:
The Niops garrison was formed primarily as an infantry unit, with some supporting mechanized and air support.
The exact quote regarding the units:
* (The large star as combined arms symbol)
Association Militia Ground Division
4 Battalions/Green/Reliable
CO 1st Battalion: Colonel Eugene Thorpe
CO 2nd Battalion: Colonel Amanda Reitz
CO 3rd Battalion: Colonel Lewis Garraunge
CO 4th Battalion: Colonel Fritz Do
The Ground Division officially fields somewhere around four overstrength regiments of troops, with less than three total battalions of BattleMechs and vehicles. Based off SLDF combat doctrines, all of these forces are unified into combined arms commands. Classic Star League designs like the Black Knight, Highlander and Burke are predominant, with each kept in pristine condition. Many of these machines date back centuries, though , and the Association does not have the capability to produce more in any numbers. On the other hand, any invader would pay dearly for a conquest.

+ (The Aerospace Force symbol)
Association Militia Air Division
Regiment;Regular /Reliable
CO: Brigadier L. Jamison Fallon
The Association actively fields a heavy force of fighters and has shown potential raiders numerous times the folly of trying to assault their worlds. Again, Star League machines dominate the TO&E, though many have seen modifications over the years.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Coriendal

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2021, 10:56:06 »
Given the forces at Niops I can say any attack the Marrian's could have launched would fail.  So, no conquest of Niops.

I think I am going to see which Free Worlds or maybe even Magistracy company would be willing to "follow the money" and help their nation out with funds to refurbish their plants in their home nations.  Could be a way to have the Andurien's and Magistracy afford some of their expansions.

Thanks for the great info.

Dan

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2021, 11:22:20 »
Given the forces at Niops I can say any attack the Marrian's could have launched would fail.  So, no conquest of Niops.

I think I am going to see which Free Worlds or maybe even Magistracy company would be willing to "follow the money" and help their nation out with funds to refurbish their plants in their home nations.  Could be a way to have the Andurien's and Magistracy afford some of their expansions.

Thanks for the great info.

Dan

Don’t worry about conquering.  Just raid.  That’s something the Marians have accomplished in canon plenty of times, and not just against Niops, but the FWL and other neighbors as well.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2021, 17:43:56 »
With all of that going on around Alphard, the "renegade mercenaries" that raided the hell out of the Lothian League in 2933-2937 might have had a juicier target...

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2021, 18:07:20 »
With all of that going on around Alphard, the "renegade mercenaries" that raided the hell out of the Lothian League in 2933-2937 might have had a juicier target...
Raid, yes. Empire-building OTOH... You begin to realise how much developer fiat went into that when they can barely build their own mechs.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2021, 18:15:21 »
Those alleged mercs set the Lothian industrial base back 300 years...

Coriendal

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 04 October 2021, 08:36:05 »
After looking at the comments I think the following alterations to the MH production make sense.

They have lots(billions upon billions) of funds so let's tempt Irian Technologies to build a battlemech facility on Alphard.  To keep it simple they ask for a Wasp 1A line and a Hermes II knock off with one large laser and two medium lasers.  With bribes abundant and the ability to use profits to help rebuild and/or expand their lines on Irian this is a no brainer for Irian Technologies.  Starting in 2950 they start building the facility, although the distance and need to set up supporting factories mean that construction will not finish until 2970. 

During this time Caesar buys Invader jump ships and Leopard and Union drop ships from them, along with runs of Wasps and Hermes II's(which are later altered to the Velite knock off version).  He also buys a number of Banshees wherever he can find them and has them altered by recruited technicians, who are well payed, to the Marik version.  In 3000 he gets quite a coupe when he bribes officials at Jalastar Aerospace to provide plans for the Centurion battlemech and the Sparrowhawk aerospace fighter.  Factories for these designs finished in 3010 and greatly increased the capabilities of the Marrian forces.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 04 October 2021, 08:50:17 »
That's a much better reason on how they got factories built.