Register Register

Author Topic: I get knocked down...  (Read 2632 times)

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
I get knocked down...
« on: 28 June 2022, 23:27:11 »
 10th Deneb Light Cavalry LZ, Marduk, Draconis Combine, April 3039   

Dust devils swirled around the Mobile Surgical Hospital, screams occasionally were heard outside of the triage tent as Leftenant Daniel Russell waited for a medic to get him inside. He had been shot out of his Wolverine in a short sharp skirmish with the as yet unknown DCMS opponent. He winced as a wave of pain and queasiness passed through his body and shuddered. "I feel like I have been kicked in the face by a terran elephant." The medic who had walked up crouched down next to him and grabbed a shoulder.
   "You got really lucky Ell-tee, all you have is a mild case of exposure and a moderate concussion. You still are headed to a dropship and off this rock."
    Daniel looked back at the medic.
    "You're kidding right? I can still fight even as a footslogger. I would only be on concussion protocol for at most a week or two."
    The medic laughed.
   "Ain't gonna happen. Public affairs needs some guys for a War bond/Morale tour and you got picked. The Major will be by soon with your evacuation orders and details later. Take it up with him."

« Last Edit: 29 June 2022, 23:13:47 by Deathrider6 »
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Re: I get knocked down...
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2022, 10:10:20 »
Oh dear.  He'd definitely prefer to be a PBI than in a Bond Tour.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2022, 10:40:48 »
   A bit of background and some notes.

This particular character is getting a new story just because his background has never been fully explored. Most people who have been here following the Ngoverse stories might recognize the name. In previous Liz story arcs he was a friendly adversary that with some success kept Liz from starting more than one war and or rebellion.

As for the Bond Tour this is a nod to one of my favorite authors. How the tour will turn out remains to be seen.
Stay tuned.

Pardon the tiny bits. The laptop has a tiny keyboard and would rather drop tiny bits of quality over typo-ridden quantity. Location corrected to sync with events chronicled in  Historical:3039.
« Last Edit: 29 June 2022, 23:15:24 by Deathrider6 »
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2022, 12:01:24 »
about bloody time.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2022, 13:14:30 »
interesting following
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2022, 18:27:10 »
Clearly I have not read enough of Cannonshop's back catalog!  8)

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2022, 20:54:50 »
    Examination Cubicle Bravo, 30 minutes later.

With all due respect Major, I don't want to go on a bond tour. Yeah my Mech needs a rebuild but the auto eject worked like it was supposed to and the overrides saved my Mech from a messy end. The only reason it is marginally salvageable is that I ran all my Ammo dry and was using my laser to try and break clear." Daniel shrugged and crossed his arms.
    The major chuckled dryly.
    "If you were average, I would have picked someone else. Luckily for me you happen to have been nominated for a Silver Sunburst and have three verified kills. You are one of the bright spots in this fight so have a nice tour."
     The major turned and walked out of the cubicle as a med tech stepped back in and handed him a fresh coverall.
     "Leftenant, you are free to go. The doc said that you are fit for travel. Your medical records and data regarding your current status has been transmitted to the dropship and forwarded to the ship's medic. Ship leaves in thirty. Good bye and good luck ,sir."
« Last Edit: 01 July 2022, 23:04:08 by Deathrider6 »

David CGB

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2022, 21:38:33 »
More of this interesting story, please
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2022, 23:55:59 »
    Outbound, Marduk System FCDS Ulysses Sandoval April ,3039.

Why me? All I was doing is what any good soldier does. I was fighting for my buddies Nothing more nothing less. I guess I will have to see what happens over the next few months. Daniel looked down at the data-pad rereading his orders again.

FEDCOM MILINFORMATION CMD

Supplemental Order 125 EXTRACT 04213039 10DENEBLTCAV

RE: Russell, Daniel L Leftenant MW AFFC SN KWJN23033019A399B6

Subject Officer is detached 10th Deneb Lt Cav RCT and attached to Special services Detachment 47 (Bond Tour) for a period of 180 days not including recouperation time from injuries incurred.

Transport of personal battlemech is authorized if available.

A period of no more than 30 days special leave, not chargeable as ordinary leave is authorized upon completion of tour assignment.

Officer is to be returned to originating unit upon completion of tour at present rank and grade with no loss of seniority.

A Supplemental evaluation will be provided on completion of special tour assignment. Supplemental evaluation could result in change of assignment upon return to originating unit at unit commander discretion.

End of extract.

By Order Of:

James Dassert Sandoval
Marshal AFFC

Daniel smiled thinly and rolled his shoulders. "Well, I had better get used to the fact that I am probably going to have to make a speech or two to get the masses to buy bonds. I just hope to hell there is a mech for me to drive. I have a suspicion that when I get back to the Cav things are going to get messy."
   The other Leftenant sharing the cabin sighed and rolled over.
   "Go to sleep or find somewhere else to talk to yourself. I really need to sleep."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2022, 03:22:24 »
Ah, the joys of roommates...  ::)

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2022, 23:15:39 »
Citation for Silver Sunburst.

The Silver Sunburst Medal is awarded to Leftenant (Leutnant) Daniel Lee Russell AFFC for Gallantry and Valor above and beyond the call of duty. During the period of 15Th April 3039 to 20Th April 3039 Leftenant Russell led his lance through fierce opposition to secure the 10Th Deneb Cavalry Regimental Combat Team Landing zone perimeter. While doing so he scored three personal kills as well as a pair of assists running his ammo bins dry on three separate occasions before being shot out of his Battlemech. After his shoot down he remained in the field leading his lance until medevaced and relieved. His courage and resourcefulness are a credit the The Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth. Entered service from Kwangjong-ni.

By Order of
     Morgan Hasek-Davion
     Marshal of the Armies

Authors note: Rank usage changes by national affiliation of the assigned unit. Since Daniel is assigned to a Federated Suns origin unit FedSuns titles are used if he was assigned to a Lyran unit the Lyran rank title would be used. This usage ends in 3040 after hostilities cease and the AFFC unified rank structure is formally released and standardized in this timeline.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2022, 23:21:45 by Deathrider6 »

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2022, 23:15:13 »
Kallon Industries of Kirklin May 16Th, 3039.

The butterflies had left as Leftenant Russell sipped on the waterglass thoughtfully left under the podium.   
   "The efforts of all of you as factory workers from the custodians to the senior management are what are helping us win. Buying bonds is also another way to contribute and once they mature can be cashed in to make the down or final payment on a home or ground car. Possible Start a college fund for a child or grandchild or even fund your retirement nest egg. Every Kroner or Pound counts!" He took another sip of water.
    "I would rather be stomping Dracs into snail snot but even being here speaking to you allows me to contribute. My Wolverine battlemech uses your Class Five autocannon and ammo. That system and the ammunition are of the highest quality thanks to your efforts. I cannot thank you all enough. I would talk longer but the banquet that has been put on for this drive looks and smells delicious and I am wanting to try the divine looking ham. Thank you for having me and buy bonds!"

The Audience clapped politely as he stepped back from the podium and began to walk to his seat at the head table. The Major in charge gave him a thumbs up and grinned.

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2022, 16:10:38 »
Kirklin, 17th May 3039.

"Major, I don't give a damn if Leftenant Russell has a Silver Sunburst. I don't want to room with him for the next five months. HE'S BORING! He had on drink with dinner and spends hours working on his speeches so it fits each location. If he does anything else, it involves his regular duties, mech maintenance, paperwork and the like. He acts like doing anything else is unimportant. I mean he takes downtime but all he seems to do is work. I know I was not the best when I first met him but jeeze..."
  Major Henderson nodded and shuffled his paperwork.
   "Leftenant you screwed up by craping all over him before we had even left the system. You shooed him out of your shared quarters so you could sleep and did not introduce yourself until AFTER I pulled all of the team together. You have done everything possible to avoid helping with non-tour duties and don't get me started on your tour performance. You should follow his example. You don't even know him because you never even bothered. I at least took a look at his full file before passing judgement. He is far from home in a job that seems like make work when he would rather be back with his unit." Henderson took a breath and leaned towards the offending Leftenant.
    "You are being relived of your tour duties and will be staying here until enough personnel have gathered to make shipping you back to the front worth the effort. Leftenant Russell will not have to put up with your petty complaints for the balance of this tour. Dismissed."
« Last Edit: 06 July 2022, 17:54:03 by Deathrider6 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2022, 16:18:16 »
It's nicer when the roommate problem solves itself...  ^-^

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2022, 18:00:46 »
well that solves the roommate problem...  hell of a thing when you are the boring one
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 07 July 2022, 21:05:10 »
That solves the tour issue for the room mate ..   that room mate has a better chance to make Captain by screwing up his war bond tour during war time than Lt. Russell who is conscientiously attending to his tour duties ...

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #16 on: 07 July 2022, 22:18:36 »
 I think the evaluation that will follow the idiot who got himself booted off the tour would be an interesting read. I may post it as a sidebar so to speak. At this point annoying Major Henderson gets him booted but I am sure that the offending Leftenant's Regimental Commander will not be amused when Henderson sends him a "happy gram".

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 08 July 2022, 02:48:36 »
The paper is what matters.  Henderson clearly approves of Russell's performance, and that should be reflected.

wolfgar

• Lieutenant
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #18 on: 08 July 2022, 05:42:18 »
Yeah the OER of these two officers that comes out from the major is going to reflect that the senior LT is a shitheal and the junior is a dedicated officer
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #19 on: 08 July 2022, 22:05:41 »
     Kirklin, May 17th 3039.

Leftenant Daniel Russell sat down and plunked his mug on the bar. The Barkeep looked back at him.
   "A 'nother cup of coffee there Leftenant? I see you are cracking the books so to speak."
   Daniel chuckled softly.
   "You got it good sir, I am prepping for the next stop on the tour here. All the while I am keeping up on my regular duties doing some evals on the support staff and making sure my requisitions for mech parts are filled. Need to get my Wolverine back up and running."
  The barkeep nodded and filled Daniel's mug.
     "Can the Sir, Leftenant. I was a Platoon Sergeant in the Crucis Lancers back in the last war. Make bloody well sure you take some time for yourself. Visit family if you, can write a letter or two at least. All work and no play can get you a reputation that will not serve you later. Most business is usually done over a drink or two at the club. I'm not telling you to go out and pickle yourself, but make sure you loosen up a bit. I might be speaking a bit out of turn, but you have potential, and someone noticed."
He poured himself a mug and leaned against the back counter.

Daniel sipped his mug and smiled thinly. "My sister gave me the same advice my plebe year. She told me to make sure I had at least a little fun. I have about 45 minutes of work left on this tablet then I can have a beer or two. After that I might go catch a light supper, unless you can come up with something a bit more filling than peanuts."
    The former Sergeant turned barkeep slapped the counter.
   "I think we can arrange something. There is a great Tex-Mex place next door. They deliver."

Major Henderson had slipped in and waited for an opening.
    "Got room for one more Leftenant? I'll pick up dinner you're on your own for beer."
« Last Edit: 24 July 2022, 23:18:29 by Deathrider6 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2022, 06:59:15 »
Sadly for Russell, I see a staff tour in his future...  ::)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2022, 08:59:20 »
Sadly for Russell, I see a staff tour in his future...  ::)

Staff work is absolutely necessary for higher advancement.  A platoon leader who's a badass isn't qualified to make theater level strategic decisions. 
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 09 July 2022, 09:01:39 »
Certainly!  I suppose I should have put quotes around "sadly"... it's only from his perspective, and even then only at first.  His jerky roommate might make major commanding a battalion someday, but that's where he'll stop.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 09 July 2022, 13:55:35 »
Staff work is absolutely necessary for higher advancement.  A platoon leader who's a badass isn't qualified to make theater level strategic decisions.
Wait have you seen the state of Lryan Military..  it all in who you know   8)

Now hopeful he will benefit from his Staff Tour and become a good General, and not a Social one

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 09 July 2022, 15:08:25 »
Who you know gets you past Colonel... it takes more than just combat experience to you get you there in the first place.

wolfgar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 09 July 2022, 15:39:40 »
unfortunately you are both right. Staff tours are an absolute necessity as an officer or non-com. learning how to handle the paperwork and who to fluff and who to give the straight shit to is something you have to learn and staff tours are how that happens.

That said, for those of us who prefer to be, as one author put it, "High protein low fat" on the medals, Staff tours suck balls
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 09 July 2022, 15:41:33 »
Not everyone is cut out for every kind of tour.  Of the ones that are, there's still an incredible filter to the higher ranks...

wolfgar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 09 July 2022, 16:07:13 »
yeah knowing how to kiss ass and blow smoke, i was never one for that

at least my gunny appreciated it

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #28 on: 10 July 2022, 22:21:45 »
Kirklin May 17Th,3039.

Daniel took his last swallow of coffee as he closed his data-pad.
    "Major, how in the hell did you end up running bond tours? You had excellent marks at Sakhara. You should have been on the line."
    Henderson shrugged and sighed.
    "I was six months out of Sakhara during the Fourth War and had the misfortune of being with the fifth Syrtis Fusiliers when they hit Sarna. Had an ejection and it was bad lost my right foot and they did an advanced replacement. It didn't take right, so I went to Journalism School and got my Masters. I stayed in the reserves while I finished up and was recalled to active duty in my present grade. Been working as a public information officer ever since. You're lucky, you get to go back and work on the line since this checks off a "staff tour " box for you. You'll still do another couple of years of staff duty before you reach my pay-grade but it will probably be at the battalion or junior regimental level and you'll be ahead of the game there. Not as much scut work."
  Daniel nodded.
    "So, you are telling me to keep doing what I am doing and loosen you a little and I should be fine, right?
As long as I do my job and follow the "rules" my career should be fine. I am just wanting to make sure that I don't neglect my duties by glad handing everyone else. I would rather be known as someone who gets the job done and has fun when appropriate than a party animal or an ass kisser. I crack the books and prepare so I don't look like a horse's ass."
    Henderson smiled.
    "The Sergeant behind the bar sees it, I see it. You have the right idea as far as balancing your time. You watch yourself with booze and get along with just about everybody, keep it up. You'll go far."
Henderson pulled a manila envelope out of his tunic. "These are effective the first of June, but the paperwork hit early. You are a Captain as of that date. The orders and a set of the new style rank tabs beer then are in here. We'll wash them down tonight with a beer and I will pin you in the morning. Someone upstairs must like you."
« Last Edit: 10 July 2022, 22:28:09 by Deathrider6 »

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #29 on: 10 July 2022, 22:40:48 »
    Young Daniel makes Captain/Hauptmann early, but he pays for it. He will do an XO tour and/or a staff tour for seasoning before he gets a company command. These events are another story. he still has 30 days leave to squeeze in at this point as well. As a junior officer he just got a rare gift. People who see his potential are trying in their own way to point his career growth in positive way but keep it low key. Keeping him grounded is what allows him to move up the ranks in this storyline as rapidly as he does.

Register