Register Register

Author Topic: I got out of bed for this? (Featuring Lisa Quentin)  (Read 6669 times)

Cannonshop

• Major
Re: I got out of bed for this? (Featuring Lisa Quentin)
« Reply #150 on: 20 September 2020, 14:54:48 »
[yet more third person stuff]

Ernie watched tinsmith bound into melee range with the first wave of Clan battlesuits, and he held his fire-she was in the way, and he didn't have a clear shot from here.

"Moving left." He said into the headphone she'd built into the hat, "Target?"

"Hit the second battlemech, the one without a waist."

"Alright."

Ernie's hands were getting hot, he could feel the charge build and he could feel his senses focus, before he raised a palm, and released.  For him, his power felt like a river flowing just out of sight, pressing in on him in his thin eggshell reality, threatening to overwhelm and engulf him.  by tapping into it, he could relieve some of the pressure...for a while.

but he had to be so damn careful.  open it too far, and it was too hard to close it again...
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #151 on: 20 September 2020, 15:39:14 »
[more third person...sorry]

"...remarkably light damage in spite of the durability of the primitive suit, usually one encounters the other extreme on backwaters."  Point Commander Harvey noted, "At least, at range.  The little girl's ranged weapons hit like...well, a little girl.  We have faced civilians with more powerful actual weapons."

"Yet you were defeated?"

"She tore my arm off."  he said, "and did something to my armor's systems...and I have never seen a mass malfunction of Suit missiles like that! Agh...The suit absorbed the combined fire from my point and it only went faster, but it was no threat until it was in melee range."

the Medtechs had been permitted to pull the wounded off the field, no fire had been directed at them, and the 'Superheroes' actually held fire until the ambulance was clear.

the show of honor had not been ignored, and so, the battle cluster used the break to spread out their deployment and position to advance, instead of pressing in on the defended hillside.

Harvey's wounds from the brief melee scuffle would require extensive repair-and his were not the only ones.  One of his warriors would never be able to use neural integration circuitry again-that energized chain weapon the girl used had fried both suit and man.

all in all, five elementals and all were simply fortunate to have survived.

"Then there is her battle cry, clear as you are standing in front of me, Star Captain..."  Harvey continued, "she said 'Good Game Guys'.  right into my very own headset, through six layers of advanced encryption on a channel she should not have been able to access! who says something like that?"

"Someone who thinks this a game, because we have rules...and follow them."  Katya speculated.  a child hardened to killing without restrictions, seeing us as playing an expensive simulation game...trying to be a 'good sport'...I want to kill someone, but who?  the ones using that child as a soldier, or the ones who warped that child into such a creature in the first place?  the more Katya had dug into their opponents...the more certain she was that this world had been disordered and desperately needed to be put to rights.

outside the dropship, a storm of consternation from one of the 'mechwarriors on the field, as something sliced into his 'mech's armor, sending heat spikes and overcoming the sinks.

"Fillip, you are 'on'. Cover the Third Battle Cluster's left wing, find and identify the location of the enemy's command and control, and lead warriors in the neutralization."  she sighed, "This needs to end."

Fillip had grown up on the South side of Chicago, and while he'd avoided being caught in a gang, and had played football right to a degree and a multimillion dollar contract with the Seattle Seahawks, he never forgot his roots-join the strongest gang in the area and be useful.

The Wolf Clan was clearly the strongest gang.  Stronger than the government, he believed, which had been stronger than the street gangs.

and he could be useful here, which means status, security, and safety...and an advanced medicine that could maybe help his mother with her failing organs.

he left the dropship flying low-250 miles an hour, until he saw her.  The white chick in the uncle-sam suit with her patriotic bullshit and her little crew of superpowered kids.

I'm gonna take you out. he had to get past the drones taking off from hidden boxes in the desert landscape though.

he dropped to the ground, and rushed.  Tackle the leader, take her out, the rest will fall down, it works in the hood, it works on the football field...

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #152 on: 20 September 2020, 15:47:47 »
Stoppable force, meet immovable object...
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #153 on: 20 September 2020, 15:53:38 »
[Lisa again!]

The Seahawk tackled me.

okay, tackled is the wrong term, the son of a bitch sacked me like a running back who's too slow and dull witted to get away.

I was watching our first lines fold in.  Phoebe's drones are messy, and they're loud, and sure, the Clanners are actually taking the time to shoot them down-but they're shooting them down FAST.

really fast, like a thousand years of weapons tech rolled onto some kid's science fair project fast.

he's grappling and I can't get leverage to hit him.

so I get a nose full of granite when he piledrives me into a rock face, then drags my face through it on the way up-reminding me that The Seahawk is one of the stronger fliers in North America.

we're a couple hundred feet up when I manage to twist around and bite his ear.  "LET ME GO ******!!"

I punch him, and it doesn't land on anything hard, but it's enough to whuffle him and he lets go.

so now, I'm falling.  this is new...

I smack into the dirt, and it puffs up around me, and I see him coming at me in a dive.

I roll to the side, and I'm halfway up to my feet when he hits me...

and something breaks.

something not me.

my foot's stuck in a rock,right under the ruin of my boot, maybe shin-deep.

but The Seahawk?

He's on the ground, and he doesn't look so good, because he's screaming, and not in anger. that's pain.  lots and lots of pain.

I feel like a zombie, looking at a man trying to cradle an arm shattered to his shoulderblade.

a grown man weeping and screaming.

I gingerly lift my foot out of my really deep footprint, and shake off the ruined boot, then I take the other one off.  I need to be able to walk...or run.

I walk around him, and head down into the melee.  It's time to draw some fire before the kids actually manage to get themselves killed.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #154 on: 20 September 2020, 16:09:05 »
It takes me an hour to find my way back to our defended hill.

Judah's decided it's worth it, I'm not going to speculate what set him off...

but there is definitely something happening, because those lines of powdered iron supplement he was laying on the ground?

They're brighter than the damn sun.

I round a hillock for a better look, and I see what's got your average hispanic junior-league mastermind pulling out the Gandalf.

Petra's left leg ends at her knee, and Aunt Cindy's propping her head up.

Phoebe's armor is pretty much gone from the knees down, and she's got both her feet in bandages while my cousin Val is trying to keep her head up to feed her water.

Ernie's pumping sun-hot plasma like a firehose, and the return fire's kind of...ending around him.  like the coherent light and the missiles and cannon shells are just giving it up because it's too damn hot.

and Judah Lees? he's floating fifty feet in the air on a glowing pyramid of energy lines, and the Clanners?

Their ball rocket is slag, some of their robots are spinning around him like...a multicolored pinwheel.

this is what he doesn't cut loose with? jesus christ.

I'm wracked with fatigue suddenly, and realize I'm standing on one of the runes he traced yesterday.

if the kid doesn't let go, he's going to kill himself for real.

and I black out for the first time since the convoy ambush in '04.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2020, 16:13:28 by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #155 on: 20 September 2020, 16:25:27 »
Corporal Lerner is telling me about her latest boyfriend-some guy from the Tank Battalion.

I know this moment. this is the moment my life ended, the moment I stopped being myself.

I know what's happening as soon as the convoy rolls past the intersection.

The first thing you see, is white, because the light is brighter than your eyes can really register.

the next thing, is the shove. i's whole-body, and in this moment, I know Sally Lerner's never going to finish telling me what she did with a Tanker behind the latrines tuesday night instead of watching a video in the FOB's little makeshift theater.

the explosion doesn't look that bad, from here, fifty or sixty meters in the air.  sure, the Humvee looks like someone kicked it with the mother of all steel-toed boots...and everything is on fire...but it doesn't look that bad, honestly.

not until the ground rushes up...

oh god no, not again, I can't take another trip through the slaughterhouse...I can't take the screams, the knowledge they're screaming because my captors want to break me.  I can't take feeling each one dying, blaming me for what's happened to them...  not again.  I can't take it again, I'll break.

"Lisa? Lisa??"

I hurt all over, as I open my eyes.  Falling Damascus is gone, there's blue sky, and Aunt Cindy's looming in my vision.

"Did we lose?" I ask her.

"You won...sort of." she tells me, "You're hurt, Lisa."

wow, I'm hurt...really injured...wow.  "Lees?"

"He's still alive." she tells me, "you almost died!!"

"Horseshoes and hand grenades." I groan.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #156 on: 21 September 2020, 10:15:19 »
An After battle word...

it isn't all mai tais and oiled poolboys like you see on MTV or H! Network features.  I can feel my strength returning, so I get up to see what happened to our side.

Seeing what happened to the Wolf force is something that doesn't really need explanation-not when their battlemechs and armor are scattered around a two and a half mile circle in pieces.  the amazing part is, he managed to do this without killing more than half of them.

Judah's being loaded into an ambulance, and Petra's being loaded in with him.

"How is he doc?" I ask one of the EMT's from Yakima County.

"Comatose, irregular heartbeat, lousy blood pressure and we've got him on oxygen, we're taking him to a secure LZ for a lifeflight to Swedish in Seattle."

Moira's got Phoebe and Valerie's packing up the first aid kits.  "How is she?"

"scrapes and bruises." Moira tells me, then turns, "Paul! give me a hand here getting Phoebe in the car."

It isn't clean or neat.  I guess we won...maybe? but not having a plan for after we win is sucking.

The Chopper Katya Kerensky shows up in, looks like an Osprey's science-fiction-cousin.

I dust off the top-hat from my wrecked costume, and wait while the Wolf officers down-load off the chopper and walk across to me.

"Looks like you lost."  I tell her.

"Aff. There is a problem with your terms." She tells me.  shit.

"What's the problem?"

"Mister Wizard's demonstration of power cracked the core on our ship, we can not leave this solar system, and there are no habitable worlds in this solar system, and we do not have terraforming equipment to make any...and there is a population issue."

"viable population for a colonization effort, you need human beings for viable DNA...so you can't afford to leave, or it's a death sentence done slow."  I get it.  I really do.  "How about making restitution then?"

"Restitution?"

"For the damage you did when you came here?"  I cross my arms, "Look, I'm not a lawyer, but you have advanced tech, pick a country and sell out, immigrate somewhere peacefully.  Christ, it's not rocket surgery-you lost here, you don't have to shoot at everybody before you bothered to talk to them."

"Your answer is to what, assimilate?"

"My ancestors did." I point out, "Lots of people's ancestors did.  You showed up, you fought a war, made a good account and then lost-boo-hoo, you lost a fight, not like you'll lose every fight, but you can't go starting wars everywhere and expect anyone to welcome you with open arms.  It didn't work for us, it won't work for you...but you can maybe leverage that into getting a hearing with someone who will want to take you in if you'll agree to be part of their culture instead of trying to impose yours."

"We can table that.  'Restitution' was one of the terms." she said, "So tell me what you want us to do?"

"how about starting with sharing some of that advanced medical technology, fixing the damage, and arranging some kind of...I don't know, apology and recompense for the families of the people you killed when you hit us?  That's a pretty good start, isn't it?  Maybe you do a good and sincere job of trying to fix what you broke, people will want you to stay and you can have a home here.  aside from the emotionally unbalanced apocalyptic powerhouses, it's a nice world.  Maybe try living in it without breaking it for a while first?  Oh, and before I forget...you still owe me Monroe and what's her face the speedster.  Delivery in the now would be appreciated."

"I agreed to that term...and..."

The chopper's back ramp drops, Monroe comes out and so does a chick I've never seen before in a recently-washed orange jumpsuit.

"...they are returned." Katya tells me.

"Good enough on that score.  Now I can hand the 'talking to the press' and 'talking to the government' duties over to someone qualified to talk to the press and the government."

"You are hilarious, Lisa Quentin, claiming to be unqualified!" she laughs at me.

"Hey, Washington State public schools.  I'm lucky I can spell my own name and count to ten without using my fingers.  There's a lot of shit wrong, but we'll fix it eventually...in the meantime, Hey Monroe."

"Lisa...you're looking...hurt."

"Yeah.  Seems that getting my lifeforce drained by a sustained ritual might be a viable method of self-termination.  I don't recommend it for people who aren't me."

"How do you feel?" he asks.

"Hopeless, lost, overwhelmed, you know, everything I feel on days that end in Y.  How're you?"

"Their food wasn't bad, but I can live without another series of medical tests and exams." he tells me.

"Those're the worst." I agree, while the Clanners head back to their chopper to discuss how they're going to screw us over, "Red River's docs were saccharine and nice and kept trying to put probes up my ass because they couldn't cut me open...who's this?"

"Prisoner from King County, going back to King County detention." He tells me, "This time to finish her sentence."

"Might need to check that, boss." I comment, "I'm pretty sure the SDC was smashed pretty much into a hole in the ground, might talk to AG O'Ryan and a judge about getting her some community service."

"Community service...No..."

I fish around in the coat, and surprise! Phoebe's work is good enough to keep my wallet, with the badge.  "Here it is...'Special Deputy to the Washington State Department of Justice'...and I didn't even have to take cop-school."

"Well, you will now-you realize, that's basically got no term limit, until the State releases you, you're stuck with it-you can't even quit if he used the section I'm thinking he used...so you'll get to do cop school whether you like it or not, especially since you'll be working in my department."

"can I claim mental disability?"

"no."

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #157 on: 21 September 2020, 11:06:25 »
Always read the fine print!
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

EAGLE 7

• Sergeant
« Reply #158 on: 21 September 2020, 12:07:48 »
So Washington state has legal slavery for powered humans?

Interesting, or is it more indentured slavery?

But wait is Lisa not the Boss of Wolf’s who are boss of Washington?
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #159 on: 21 September 2020, 12:27:18 »
The Wording for Lisa and company was not slavery. It was, you are a officer of the State till we say so. Its the same for being a marine, once you leave service, you are on call till they don't call you.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

BATTLEMASTER

• Warrant Officer
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #160 on: 21 September 2020, 12:31:46 »
But wait is Lisa not the Boss of Wolf’s who are boss of Washington?

It was just a Trial of Refusal, not a Trial of Possession.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

EAGLE 7

• Sergeant
« Reply #161 on: 21 September 2020, 12:52:10 »
Time to do a trial of possession, then.

Clan rules are only honorable rules. If you ignore chattel slavery. :thumbsup:
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

EAGLE 7

• Sergeant
« Reply #162 on: 21 September 2020, 13:01:36 »
The Wording for Lisa and company was not slavery. It was, you are a officer of the State till we say so. Its the same for being a marine, once you leave service, you are on call till they don't call you.

8 year legal commitment, possibility of recall, based on MOS need and length of time since inactive reserve.

Once commitment met not mandatory service.

Unless retired then your SOL, can be recalled at behest of DOD.

You do not have to comeback, you just forfeit retirement and benefits and possible incarceration.

Upside you get paid for returning to active duty and from experience mandatory bad attitude towards fellow soldiers who are not mandatory recall.

Great for esprit de corp.

But generally entertaining for those not in blast area.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #163 on: 21 September 2020, 13:07:22 »
I wish I could sleep through the chaos.  just lie down, and pretend to be a rock until it's over.

yeah.  No dice there.  There's a saying that must go back to the Roman armies, if even earlier.  'The Reward for doing good work, is more work.'

For three years I couldn't get a job, now I've got a job and I miss being able to just hang out in bars, shoot pool, and play music...I mean, I wasn't making a lot of money doing that last bit-I helped a couple of bands in Portland and Seattle with session work for less than union scale, one-off stuff, find an ad, answer it, thumb a ride down and audition, play their track, and go home.

being able to hitch-hike is starting to look like a luxury now-though O'Ryan did get my suspended driver's license reinstated, a situation that's easier than detailing a WSP patrolman to play chauffeur.

but I don't get to hide in obscurity.

Not now.

See, there's springback from what we did.  The Wolves are perfectly unhappy with having to provide volunteer labor in the rebuilding, the Feds are unhappy because their abject surrender got tossed back in their face by four kids and a lunatic, the press are unhappy because I won't give interviews, I'm unhappy because i've got the privacy issues of every other public figure in the state.

I'm happy because Judah Lees is out of the hospital and walking again.  Petra's got a ways to go yet, but apparently her DNA isn't so weird that the Wolf Clan clone-doctors can't make her a new pair of feet to replace the ones their guy shot off...though they're still pretty freaked that their equipment can't even detect her in the medical bay of their space-ship...however, it doesn't have a problem looking at samples of Petra, and that's what they need for the fantastic and amazing medical miracles.

I'm Happy because Moira Slohcin was awarded custody of Phoebe Keene in an expedited hearing, and has a governor's pardon for her convictions that clears her record in the state, at least-and she's got a job that's better than slinging burgers or running robbery shift at 7-11.  O'Ryan hired her into the State Government, as chief of staff.

I'm happy for Ernie, whose parents actually told him they were proud of him for once, instead of telling him he's not good enough due to his lousy grades.

We'll see how long it takes them to decide he's an idiot and a shitbag again, I have an inkling about how much actual affection is in that household, and they didn't feel like a family when I rode up to Mercer Island with him after the fighting.

In the meantime, kid's got a great future now-he's taking law and justice classes and doing National Guard training at Yakima, as part of the State Militia...which it turns out is a real thing after all.

it's November, we've been 'at peace' for several weeks.  I get to have time off.

Time off? from what? you may ask.  It is permitted.

After the Yakima battle, Kerensky formally surrendered to the State of Washington.  not just her, she surrendered her whole little army, her Clan, and asked for asylum.

it's a practical consideration, I suspect.  They can beat the snot out of conventional forces, but I put together an unconventional force that converted a full quarter of their ground combat assets into scrap metal in front of an audience of billions.

I'm pretty sure they don't want a rematch-at least, collectively they don't, and I know this: the Canadians already told them 'no' after what they did coming into the pacific northwest.

and Katya doesn't trust the man in the White House.  in talks with O'Ryan, she expressed...distrust over the circumstances of the President's assassination, and she doesn't have supers of her own, aside from The Seahawk, who will probably recover from having his arm liquefied trying to punch me...but I doubt he'll ever recover the same level of confidence.

We tested my abilities after I showed injuries post-incident, and Monroe and I have been tracking it.  right after being drained, I was...normal. almost normal, anyway.  I don't heal any faster, so I'm still dealing with cuts and burns...but...

okay.  deep breaths.

The stitches held, but aside from being the kind that your body can absorb, the wounds they were holding closed are proof against scalpels.

We figured out it must've taken me about eight hours for the invulnerability to come back.

I'm healing normally otherwise.

My job...

My job is mostly to stand there looking threatening while O'Ryan plays temporary governor.

by 'looking threatening' I mean, the 'aunty columbia' suit is now an official registered trademark of the State of Washington.

including the John Lennon glasses and the top-hat.

a bonus? being the scary arm-candy of a temporary governor has perks, I met his wife, she's nice to me.

I trade off with the professionals-there's actually a team of WSP officers who do the real security. I'm there to show off that our Governor (okay, our provisional governor, pending the special election in march) is a badass with superhero backup.

basically me doing that, lets Monroe do the real work.

Today, my job is standing nearby while Provisional Governor Douglas O'Ryan meets with our Federal representatives and senators to discuss Washington State's legal status after having been effectively abandoned by the United States Government.

I actually asked for today off, but Monroe said 'no way in hell'.

he doesn't want to be in this room...and he technically outranks me, so shit rolls down-hill, and I'm sure he's sitting in a coffee shop on Pike Street with Katya Kerensky discussing philosophy and politics while I have to stand here looking dignified in a circus getup.

Euphonium

• Lieutenant
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #164 on: 21 September 2020, 14:11:04 »
So what assests does Clan Wolf still have?

We know that Lisa & co have cost them a full cluster including dropship (an Overlord?) plus at least two other 'mechs and five sets of elemental armour, and their WarShip now has a damaged KF core.
We know that they had casualties trying to land in Russia.

On the other hand they still have 3+ functioning DS and by 2008 standards even a non-jumping WS is a pretty amazing piece of tech.

Ooh, just had an evil thought - tell clan Wolf "Since you can't leave we've just had a chat with Baba Yaga and she's agree that you can have North Korea. All you need to do is defrost it...!
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #165 on: 21 September 2020, 14:26:46 »

We know that Lisa & co have cost them a full cluster including dropship (an Overlord?) plus at least two other 'mechs and five sets of elemental armour, and their WarShip now has a damaged KF core.

On the other hand they still have 3+ functioning DS and by 2008 standards even a non-jumping WS is a pretty amazing piece of tech.

Ooh, just had an evil thought - tell clan Wolf "Since you can't leave we've just had a chat with Baba Yaga and she's agree that you can have North Korea. All you need to do is defrost it...!

I´d guess North Korea defrosted on its own once Baba Yaga was done administering the sub-zero spanking.

But the Wolves won´t actually need a whole country. There can´t be more than a thousand of them left.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #166 on: 21 September 2020, 14:38:31 »

Depends on what they have in terms of scientists.  Plenty of samples for work on reverse engineering, even if it is broken somewhat.

Plus the shear amount of cheap reusable spacelift in those dropships, which can easily tool around the solar system, days to most of the solar system for example at 1g constant burn.  And more mundane, but given the shear fuel cost to move the Warship, she'd still make a very nice space station, with a hell of anti-missile defense not to mention orbital fire power as well.

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #167 on: 21 September 2020, 14:57:01 »

In 2008, NASA would strongly consider retiring the Space Shuttles in return for four Kirghiz, if they could figure out how to carry ISS modules up in a cargo pod.

The Kirghiz carries an astounding 56.5 tons of pod space  That's nearly twice what any one Shuttle can carry.  The five-ton fuel tank on a Kirghiz gives it 120 km/sec of delta-v.  Without any extra fuel, that's enough to travel 1 AU in 28 days, and 20 tons could get you there in a quarter of the time - I use 1 AU as an example because that's the Earth/Mars separation in some orbital positions.  Daily flights to the Moon become routine.

And a small craft or DropShip with a transit drive that gives you strategic thrust? ???
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

Euphonium

• Lieutenant
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #168 on: 21 September 2020, 15:17:33 »
I´d guess North Korea defrosted on its own once Baba Yaga was done administering the sub-zero spanking.

I may be mis-remembering but I thought it's only been a couple years since N.Korea got iced, and you need a lot of energy to melt ~96.5 trillion tons of ice. A quick google gave me that Earth's ice caps lost about 9.5 trillion tons of ice (1 tenth of what's on N Korea) between 1961 & 2016.

While I'm sure it's melting, without outside intervention I'd expect N. Korea not be habbitable for a couple of centuries
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #169 on: 21 September 2020, 15:28:25 »
"...possession of the spacecraft has yet to be arbitrated, mister secretary, we have several court cases pending regarding who can actually take possession of the former Clan Wolf Ship Pack's Den, among those cases are lawsuits filed for damages against Clan Wolf by my citizens."  O'Ryan's playing hard for concessions.

"Miss Quentin, you were actually in the battle, and-"

"And the Governor speaks for me. One of the benefits of belonging to a larger organization, is the privilege of remaining silent in negotiations, sir." I tell him.

"But it was surrendered due to your actions..."

"But not to myself, sir, and my involvement in those actions is well documented enough, thank you sir."  why the ****** are they dragging me into this...why is O'Ryan letting them drag me into this?  "The vessel was surrendered to agents of the Washington State Militia acting under orders, sir, while not acting under Federal Aegis, If I recall correctly, the Presidential order was to stand down the State Militia and prepare the state for surrender at the time."  I slip out of parade rest, and cross my arms, "The Federal instruction from the acting President was to surrender, I believe that relieves Washington State of any obligation to allow Federal access to the equipment or materials."

"On what grounds, Miss?"

"On the grounds that a sitting Federal government vacated their oath to uphold and defend the United States Constitution, sir.  Acting Governor O'Ryan upheld his oath of office, sir.  If you let me, a washed out, section-eight discharged marine make the choice, I would tell you and the current acting president to go find a big pile of black sand, and a hammer and pound that sand up your ass until it turns into steel, sir.  you are not negotiating with me, you are negotiating with a much more reasonable, better educated, and more intelligent gentleman who did not direct me, as you have, to make my personal opinions part of the record of this proceeding.  Sir."

there was some astonishment  among the Federal officials, "you're going to let her get away with that?"

"I seem to recall, mister Secretary, that the Sedition Act of 1917 was overturned by the supreme court, Miss Quentin retains her first amendment rights as a citizen of this state, and that includes the right to express her own opinions on governmental policy." O'Ryan wins court cases, damn but he's good at delivery.   "Has there been a repeal of the First Amendment since I last attended law school?"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #170 on: 21 September 2020, 15:40:50 »
I may be mis-remembering but I thought it's only been a couple years since N.Korea got iced, and you need a lot of energy to melt ~96.5 trillion tons of ice. A quick google gave me that Earth's ice caps lost about 9.5 trillion tons of ice (1 tenth of what's on N Korea) between 1961 & 2016.

While I'm sure it's melting, without outside intervention I'd expect N. Korea not be habbitable for a couple of centuries

North Korea gets a lot more sunlight than the poles. Temperatures outside the North Korean borders are above freezing for most of the year, so that´s a constant source of warm air arriving there.

Plus, Baba Yaga did this, she can undo this. She had made her point, so if South Korea (who still claim all that territory as theirs) asked nice... and I´m sure after THAT demonstration of power, they didn´t dare ask in any way other than nice.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #171 on: 21 September 2020, 16:03:23 »
"but..."

"But nothing.  The specifics of Miss Quentin's discharge indicate she is specifically exempt from federal service due to being unsuitable."  O'Ryan continues.  "Note that Washington State does not have that particular exemption, and she did volunteer."

"bonkers.  Nuts. koo-koo. a few bricks short of a load. Kuh-RAY-zee." I elaborate for the dignitaries, "Ineligible to serve the federal government in a military or civil service capacity, do I need to outline everything I'm not allowed to do courtesy of an official finding of non-compos-mentis by a U.S. government doctor? I couldn't find a damn job with a steady paycheck to make rent until O'Ryan offered me this one, and VA disability at eighty five percent doesn't work as a living wage, especially with five hundred bucks going to a listing of the nastier chemicals they give people in the nut-hut to keep them docile."  I smile at the Secretary, "Just think, you're less than twenty feet from a grade double-alpha superhuman who's been determined to be absolutely bonkers...and I-I-I am Sooo off my meds. woohoo, woohoo."

"Lisa."

"Apologies sir." I resume parade rest.

"Here's what is going to happen, Mister Secretary.  We're going to forget...no, we're going to forgive your superiors in D.C. for their...error in evaluating the threat situation and their difficulties in handling it in a timely manner, in return, the President is going to very graciously support Senator McMurray's relief bill to the Senate, and the House, and sign it into law, then you're going to transfer up a group of INS agents trained to handle massive amounts of paperwork, so that two thousand, one hundred thirty seven former Clan Wolf personnel can begin their legal journey to the status of United States Citizens.  You'll do this because, in spite of McCleary polling somewhere below dogshit in this election, it's good politics for your party to be seen as patriotic and forward thinking, instead of reactionary and cowardly...an then, someone at the Department of Defense and someone at Homeland Security, is going to clear Lisa Quentin's name so she has her full rights as a citizen when she is not inside the borders and jursidiction of the State of Washington...and then we'll talk to your presidential successor about reforming the Veteran's Administration to provide better care and counseling for returning vets..are we clear?"

The official nods.

"Good.  You know it's the right move, you know it's the smart move, I shouldn't have to tell you these things."

and with that, we were done for the day.

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #172 on: 21 September 2020, 17:23:33 »
I wish we could get the government to reform the VA that easily and help all the Combat Vets and the Ghost System Vets.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

croaker

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #173 on: 21 September 2020, 17:51:43 »
Hmm. O’ryan is closing in on Liz for people who I would vote for President this year.

Dave Talley

• Captain
« Reply #174 on: 21 September 2020, 23:43:19 »
once the worst blows over Lisa might work as a stand up,
her last spiel there isnt substantially different from Christopher Titus or Lewis Black
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #175 on: 22 September 2020, 13:37:08 »
cut.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2020, 16:59:40 by Cannonshop »

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #176 on: 22 September 2020, 13:42:26 »
The first step on the path to true wisdom is admitting you know nothing

EAGLE 7

• Sergeant
« Reply #177 on: 22 September 2020, 14:26:56 »
The first step on the path to true wisdom is admitting you know nothing

And that explains why wisdom is in short supply

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #178 on: 22 September 2020, 14:33:40 »
And that explains why wisdom is in short supply
Yeah: too few people are willing to admit to the limitations of their knowledge

Starfox5

• Corporal
    • My Fanfictions
« Reply #179 on: 22 September 2020, 14:38:24 »
Wanted to catch up on the updates after a few days, but the "evil government conspiracy kills the president" was too much of an idiot ball to swallow. It's not that it would be impossible - but it screamed "author fiat". In a world where the Clans were already pushed around by a parahuman, and with evidence that single parahumans can wreck their shit, there was no need at all for the USA to surrender - and the fact that the traitors doing so weren't arrested or killed by others just turned the whole thing into "I want to have part of the USA occupied and the USA accepting this, so it happens".

I'm not a fan of the "USA USA USA" memes, but the US, surrendering like this? No resistance, no parahuman strike teams turning invaders into chunky salsa? People collaborating after a day or two, without knowing how things would fall out? And in such numbers?

Sorry, that breaks my SoD.

Register