Register Register

Author Topic: Kerensky’s Lost Hope - Book 1: Conundrum Of Fate  (Read 9295 times)

croaker

• Warrant Officer
Re: Kerensky’s Lost Hope - Book 1: Conundrum Of Fate
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2013, 10:18:02 »
Something tells me the Wolverines still got annihilated.

"Followers of the Betrayer"... makes me think Andery may have gone with them.

Braasch

• Recruit
« Reply #31 on: 14 March 2013, 10:56:07 »
Maybe not just the Wolverines are gone....
I like Scout-Mechs, especially the Atlas...

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2013, 13:59:12 »
Something tells me the Wolverines still got annihilated.
The only thing we know right now is that it's obviously not the Sea Foxes.  It's most likely to be either the Wolves or Wolverines - depends on whether Andery or Nicholas ends up guiding the Clans.  It could be just about anyone else though.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #33 on: 14 March 2013, 17:11:16 »
i have to question whether the 'crusader' philosophy is the same thing to us? The wolverines.... hmmm

namar13766

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 16 March 2013, 04:00:58 »
My guess is that the Not-Named in this fic are the Widowmakers, fleeing after they killed Nikky.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #35 on: 16 March 2013, 12:46:08 »
you know, i know what to make of the Windowmakers (so little has been written about them, even in Op K). the pic of the WM Khan himself looks like some 80's hairband frontman...

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #36 on: 16 March 2013, 18:59:58 »
Which is reason enough for them to be to be annihilated.......... >:D
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 26 March 2013, 00:40:38 »
Very nice and thanks for sharing. Wondering if the Director had the foresight, resources, and luck needed to keep the Helm memory core from being disseminated as well.
May no one ever know less then me......

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #38 on: 26 March 2013, 03:11:45 »
There is no helm core in the KU.  Instead, several smaller and more numerous finds have been made.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 31 March 2013, 15:05:26 »
Ok then it is settled..... I  am here for the ride just please do not kill off Miller's/Barber's Marauder IIs.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #40 on: 31 March 2013, 16:41:51 »
Can't promise anyhting there.  If one of the players drops them into a bad place, then all bets are off.

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #41 on: 01 April 2013, 22:21:32 »
Chapter 5

New Hope, Circe, Pentagon Worlds.
15 September, 2822. 

Khan Sarah McEvedy watched as the Wolverine Clan Council hall emptied of its last chattering and disgruntled Clansmen.  McEvedy remained seated on the dais, musing over the news she had been forced to bring to her Clan.  For the last nine months, Clan Wolverine had been surging ahead of the other Clans, even Kerensky’s own Wolves, a fact that was generating much friction with the other nineteen Clans, as well as the ilKhan.
Dam you Nicholas!  Thought Sarah, We were on the way to creating a new path, but you could not let us explore our full potential.

saKhan Dwight Robertson broke her thoughts, “The lower castes will be restless following this Sarah, we had given them much.  The ilKhan likely thinks that with his reforms enacted and our lower castes in turmoil, we will fall back to the pack.”

Sarah smiled, despite herself, “We won’t though, we have too much of a lead now.  What our people managed in nine months will take the other Clans two or three years to match.”

Dwight sat on the edge of the Khan’s desk, his worn face devoid of an expression, “What if more oppose us, as you suspect already?”

Sarah pursed her lips and made an unconscious fist on the desk, “Then we must, as before, play for time.  Word from Eden is that Andery will awaken, though they don’t know when or in what condition.  We must do all we must to delay the other Clans until he is wake and can temper his brother.”

Dwight nodded, then scowled, “And what of these “agents” that your ferrets have found?  You mentioned them in passing before we joined the Council.”

Sarah paused before speaking, “agents.”  She said.  “It would seem that the other Clans learned of our ways through the use of spies.”

“WHAT!?” gasped the saKhan as he shot to his feet.  “That is an outrage!  This must be brought before the Grand Council immediately.”

Sarah looked steadily at her saKhan, “I do not think accusing Nicholas Kerensky of espionage in the Grand Council will get us anywhere.”

saKhan Robertson went white, “You think the ilKhan is involved?”

Sarah nodded her head, “Yes, I believe he controls this “watch” as it is called and was the force behind its creation.  He will go to lengths even he despises to ensure the continuation of the Clans in his mould.”

Robertson sat back down on the edge of the desk, “This is beyond anything imaginable.  What can we do if the ilKhan is against us?”  Before Sarah could answer, he asked another question, “How do you know all of this?”

Sarah leant back, crossing her arms, “You remember the Smoke Jaguar raid in March?”  He nodded, “Well that raid and several that followed it were far too well placed and provisioned for luck to account for their battle array and timing.  By April, I was sure that the Jaguars had a source of information regarding our dispositions and capabilities, then the Widowmakers hit us, then the Fire Mandrills, Burrocks, Ghost Bears, Jade Falcons, Mongeese and Wolves all struck.  The timings and Trials were all to well planned and executed and so I started looking.  Please forgive me if I did not tell you, as I did not know from where we were leaking information.”

Robertson smiled, “I understand Sarah.”

She nodded her thanks and continued, “I issued orders to two officers, Franklin Hallis and Trish Ebon, to find the source of the leaks and report back to me.  What they found were that lower castemen from the Clans striking us were feeding information back to their parent Clans.”

Dwight crossed his own arms, “Their perfidy is this prevalent already?  What of the other Clans, do they suffer in this way?”

“No Dwight, they do not.  I looked at the attacks on the other Clans and, from the information available, I realised that it was only the Wolverines who were being targeted in this way.  That meant only one thing: Someone was coordinating the actions of these Clans against us.”

“You believe it to be the ilKhan?  Why?”

Sarah cocked her head, “Because no Warriors are involved in actually gathering the information.  Nicholas does not want his chosen tarnished.  An individual Clan might plant Warriors in this way, but I know Nicholas would be totally against such an action.”

Robertson frowned, “What are we to do then?  Start our own watch?”

Sarah looked hard at Dwight across the table, “I think that would a particularly bad idea Dwight.  If we were caught, operating outside of the ilKhan’s own watch, our actions would be seen is a very poor light and if we were first discovered.  It would not matter if we brought accusations in the Clan Council against the others, we would be immediately held up for punishment.”

“What would you suggest then?”  Asked the saKhan.

“We do the unexpected whilst we try to reorganise ourselves.”

The saKhan nodded, “Add to that we have all these civilians to move back to their original castes, as well as dissolving our civilian reserve.  That alone is going to cause chaos for us.  Then there is the increasing number of attacks from more and more Clans.  We will be lucky to hold our place over the coming year.”

Sarah could not but agree, Nicholas has us right where he needs us.  “Kerensky is looking for a scapegoat Dwight, ever since that business with Kinnison and the issues with the Falcons and their culling, along with all the other rumblings going on as we try to adjust and integrate into our new lives.  Something needs to give, and with Andery out of action, I truly believe it will be the ilKhan’s patience.  Here on the Pentagon, he has less ability to have direct oversight, so he needs to show us all who is still the one to kneel before.  Something will happen and soon and for what I can see, the Wolverines are going to be in the middle of it.”

saKhan Dwight Robertson looked depressed by his Khan’s analysis.  “I suppose this will put a hold on our plans to give the lower castes a direct vote in the Clan Council.”

Sarah chuckled, “Yes.  It will have to wait.  We have a big enough target on our chest at the moment as it is, though when painted on one of those new Pulverisers, it does not look so big.”

Clan Wolverines new Assault Mech, the Pulveriser, was the latest statement in the Clan’s efforts to get out in front of the other Clans.  The Mech had performed well in recent Trials and rumour was that other Clans may soon start to Trial for the design.  However, for now the design was still unique to Clan Wolverine, leaving the Clan with at least one tool the other Clans had no access to.

Sarah changed topics, “Dwight, I think I have a way to limit the problems with our fellow Clan’s spies.”

“Shoot them?”  Asked the saKhan sardonically.

“No.  Isolate them in one easy to administer place.  I want you to quietly move all non-Wolverine lower castemen to our new colony on Tathis.  The colony is to be cut out of the main network and all future captured lower castemen will be sent there until we can end this espionage mess.  At least there they can only damage one small colony and not the entirety of the Clan.”

“The other Clans will work out what is occurring soon enough, what do you plan to do then?”

Sarah laughed, “What can they do?  Complain in the Grand Council that their spies are corralled?  It lets them know we are onto them and shows the ilKhan we still have our honour.  Without the intel their attacks will become less effective, providing us with the advantage.”

Dwight looked at his Khan and raised an eyebrow,  “They will react in ways we cannot foresee.”

“Correct, just as we are to their own actions.”

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #42 on: 02 April 2013, 09:25:37 »
I hope Andery wakes up soon.

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 03 April 2013, 01:18:49 »
Have the Wolverines gotten their enhanced PPC into production yet?

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #44 on: 03 April 2013, 02:00:01 »
Yup, as it featured on the stock Pulveriser.

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 04 April 2013, 07:32:47 »
Nice, now about those ER Pulse Lasers........