Register Register

Author Topic: Ngoverse V. 4.0, "Her Boots."  (Read 14769 times)

Cannonshop

• Major
Ngoverse V. 4.0, "Her Boots."
« on: 24 February 2016, 07:35:56 »
Sometime after the Great Refusal, March, 3063...

The Refusal was done.  Clan Jade Falcon stood as one of two remaining Crusader clans to achieve victory-their invasion of the Inner Sphere could, by Clan traditions, continue.

The Upstarts that tried to take their possessions had been punished, and thrown OUT of the Inner Sphere holdings.  The foolish Hellions had been stopped from looting Falcon territories and possessions in the homeworlds.

and Marthe Pryde's position as Khan was firm, finally, she could get to the task she'd managed to avoid-attending to the briefings, the details, and the scut-work that all Khans must endure lest their Clan fail.

There were roughly twenty seven terabytes of Intelligence reports from the Watch, readiness reports from formations ranging from garrisons of Clan Military Police to Elite formations comprised of Trueborn warriors, data on Sibko graduation rates... a billion and a half words of bureaucratic line items from the Merchant Caste awaiting approval or rejection...

She hated this part of the position.

Delegating it, however, was rather soothing.  In the first month after the Spheroids repudiated the Crusade's goals (for most of the Clans), she'd been catching up on the paperwork, delegating irritating or less-critical functions to subordinates, and generally rebuilding the staff positions to correct for the chronic dysfunction under Vandervahn Chistu's administration.

In the Second month, she'd found the need to expand that staff, so that the delegation of delegation could be done, forcing huge strategic decisions into workable tactical-scale problems that could be addressed and solved.

At six months, she was finally...FINALLY able to examine some of the stranger parts-reports that did not fit into neat headings, or which had been buried or forgotten by predecessors.

This 'strange minutiae' was soothing after months of dealing with fundamental problems caused by first the abortive absorption, then division, of the Wolves, the fighting to drive the various claimants back, and the realignment of Clan resources to deal with the need to police a lower-caste population that had expanded by a factor of a thousand practically overnight.

well, 'had been' soothing.  she mused in silent fury as a years-old intercept played on the holoplayer while a delegation of Bloodnamed stood just the other side of it, observing her reaction.

"...plunder...I fail to see much difference from those, save that these Clans, the degenerate descendants of deserters who couldn't help but fight one another as soon as their charismatic leader could not hold them together, are much better armed, with all the product of a Star League their ancestors looted when they left."

"Should we forgive them, and welcome them in like wayward relations? all harms excused, shelter them from their own colleagues who even now are preparing to continue their invasion? Let us ask..."

the object in her right hand snapped open, a folding knife. She plunged it through her palm, letting the blood drip.

"Dead.
Dead.
Dead.
Dead.
Dead.
Dead.
Dead.
Dead....you can't apologize for them, they can not forgive, and neither should we." she stood there, bleeding on the stage, showing no sign of pain or discomfort. "Thank you for your time, I yeild the remainder of mine..." and with that, she put the switchblade away, and wrapped her wounded hand in a handkerchief as she walked off the stage.

"WHO does she think she is?"  Marthe finally said, and looked at the Watch officer on duty tonight.  "Who is she? and what imbecile let a teenaged girl address a sitting government?"

"That is Duchess Elizabeth Ngo, of Kowloon.  Your predecessors did not consider her...antics to be of much import, My late superior concurred." the Watcher stated, "I...did prepare a briefing package-"

Marthe nodded, "Update it." she ordered, then she turned to the Warriors who'd brought this nugget of fecal matter to her attention.  "I trust you've seen this all the way through?"

"It is why we brought it to your attention, OvKhan...that, and some incidents along the border which seem to be tied to this...Elizabeth Ngo."

"This...insult must not be allowed to stand un-answered." Marthe stated, "but we are not going to merely raid them-that would be proving her...point." she spat the last word, "Obviously, she needs to be shown the error of her ways in the most comprehensive manner. an example must be set...she is a Duchess-what world?"

"Kowloon, OvKhan."  the Watcher answered.

Marthe closed her eyes, "of course it would be them...who else would it be?" she folded her arms, "Information first-if she is like her ancestors in any way, shape, or form, going in without comprehensive information will be a waste of good warriors' lives, for little benefit, if any at all. How is she tied to recent problems on the border?"

"In several recent probing operations, warriors from our clan have run into Kowloonese levies reinforcing border world garrisons-they do not fight honourably in open battle, instead performing dezgra assassination and booby-trapping tactics..."

Marthe shot the Star Captain a glare that could curdle milk.  "Excuses?" She snapped, "Spheroids fight that way."

"OvKhan, those are not the problem-it is when our warriors have caught them... they fight when it is unreasonable to fight, when it is wasteful."

"They are barbarians!" another Bloodnamed officer scoffed, "waste is what they do."

"Nathan..." Marthe began, "House of Roshak, am I correct?"

"Yes, OvKhan."

"You were with me at Coventry. Your reactions indicate you feel there is something 'off' about this-something unlike what we saw there, Quiaff?"

"AFF." he said, "Their 'mechwarriors are...well, poor at best, but their conventional forces..." he shook his head, "Un-reasonable-not like Lyrans, more like Blood Spirits-the difference beign they will retreat, but like the fanatics on York, they do not seem to be able to comprehend the idea of accepting defeat and submitting-this is not normal."

"You have lost warriors from your Cluster fighting these...'loonies'?" she asked.

"My predecessor did-as well as his life, OvKhan."

"then, work with the Watcher, and bid your forces well-the answer to this insult, and the solution to these 'border problems' will be handled once preparations for the renewed offensive are complete.  I doubt you will have much in the way of competition for the position, since Kowloon is well outside the direction of our march to Terra, I will not authorize raiding of that world just yet."

"Um, OvKhan, may I ask why?" another warrior asked.

"I prefer victory over defeat, and crushing victory over defeat in detail." Marthe stated, "These have added a new dimension to the conflict, looking with Falcon's eyes means looking-we are not Smoke Jaguars who scream and leap blindly, or Fire Mandrills so wrapped in arrogance that they walk into traps."

"Do you think it is a trap?" Nathan Roshak asked.

"It is a trap." Marthe said, "I can nearly guarantee it is a trap."

« Last Edit: 28 February 2016, 06:34:24 by Cannonshop »
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
Re: Ngoverse V. 4.0, "Her Boots."
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2016, 10:20:10 »
Ah, Elizabeth noticed how vulnerable the Clans are to 'the flies have conquered flypaper' trap?

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2016, 15:37:46 »
Ah, Elizabeth noticed how vulnerable the Clans are to 'the flies have conquered flypaper' trap?

More like Katinerine or Nondi discovered it.

The absence of Pershaw from the scene is twoparts- part one, I forgot about him, so I'll have to find a good excuse, and part two, is the excuse.

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2016, 02:49:43 »
Hue City Terminal, Hue, Kowloon, May, 3063...

The official spaceport was in Nha Tranh, had been since mid-2779, when the seat of government was moved there from the Rim World's old capital city of Hue.  The facilities abandoned had been fairly decent-sized, and included access to the old Rimworlds barracks, and even an SLDF 'mini-facility' after the bombardment of the old planetary capital of Dinh Diep.

So, with that much bad blood, it shouldn't be a surprise that nobody really wanted to use the Hue Facilities-until recently.

"It's a lovely day, Colonel." Elizabeth Ngo said casually as she climbed out of the passenger compartment of her Mercedes. 

Hans Dietrich offered a hand and she took it, allowing him to assist her.  "It is indeed, Your Grace." He told her, "I'm pleased you found time to visit the new cantonment."

She gave him a somewhat sarcastic look, "Your messenger made things quite clear that the invitation was not...exactly optional." she noted, "Obviously someone in your staff thought my presence at your official public opening was important."

"You'll have to blame me for that." He told her, "I wasn't lying when I said I'd prefer to work with you for the duration of this assignment, it's only a couple more years and-"

"Spare me." Liz said, "Please, With the Archon playing Princess on New Avalon, instead of focusing on her own realm, I think we can dispense with the political pleasantries-you're here to sit on me in case I 'nut out' and do something that embarrasses the regime, because I've done it before, I'm here, I'll stand at the podium and smile for the holocams and reassure everyone things are just fine, don't work up excuses, Colonel-you're terrible when you try to lie for politics, Leave that to the scumbag professionals."

He swallowed as they walked up the VIP path to the newly refurbished hangars.  "I...you still shock me." He confessed.

"I do that.  Fact is, Hans, I'm glad you're here to handle this part-it frees me up to do my own work, and I'm not about to deliberately ****** it up for you-as long as you keep in mind that her expectations are lower than mine."  she smiled to a newsie and waved,  "I expect you to perform to the level they theorize at the Nagelring, not the level they actually demonstrated at Tamar."

"That is also my own intent." he told her, careful to keep his face neutral-in-greeting.  "I'm aware there were mistakes made-"

"The leadership and organization level at Tamar is the whole reason you have to be here." Liz added, "If they'd been competent, Patrick would be here instead of me, and everyone on Tharkad would be happier.  after this dog-and-pony show is complete, I'll expect a full briefing on your improved plans for system defense, from both you, and Commodore Li, as well as every readiness report you'd normally send to Sharon Bryan on Melissia, I'll also want detailed reports on what your people are using my people for-we've been getting body-bags, Hans.  My people had better not be dying for nothing."

"What makes you think I have improved plans for defense of this system?" he asked, as they reached an idling jeep with flag-mounts on the fenders.

"Because if you don't, that's proof you're one of those oafs." She told him, "if that's true, in turn, I will become very, very, very, difficult to deal with."

as he helped her into the rear seat, and joined her, he said, "You never do let up, do you?"

"nope." she answered, "I don't, not on myself, and not on those placed with me-Katherine and Nondi put you here, and technically you can claim governorship, but you're supposedly a soldier first-I'm going to assure myself that you're either a very good soldier, or a soldier to be placed in the box marked 'break glass in case of emergency'. The latter is the sort that gets sent into frontal assaults without clear objectives to buy time for good soldiers to turn the actual battle."

"NOW I know why General Bryan said she wished she could just draft you." He chuckled.

"Not my fault LAAF won't let me enlist." Liz told him, "with all the reports I'm asking you to provide, don't hesitate to add your dreaming wishlist of support items-I believe very much in largesse when it comes to supporting the defense of my world-within, of course, the limits of what I am able to provide without external approval."

"So, 'millions for defense and not one phennig for tribute'?" he asked.

"Something like that-though we are contributing tributes to the Lyran state already." She said, "I am appreciative that the Alliance has seen fit to place a regiment here, by the by, very decent of them, considering they've taken four times that from my military age population in the last year, and we've gotten back about a battalion or so of corpses and ash in return."

He was silent for a moment as they approached the grandstands on the far side of the hangars.  "That many?" he asked.

"one thousand, three hundered and twenty five so far." Elizabeth stated, "Your superiors were kind enough to list names, dates and cause of death with the bodies, and we've got a growing surplus of Alliance Flags.  Tell me they aren't dying in vain."

"You don't believe-you won't believe me if I do." He said.

Elizabeth eyed him, "No." she said, "but it's nice to see they sent a realist, we can deal.  I have men dying on the Clan front.  They may be wearing your uniform, but they're my people...and soon, maybe, yours. what I really want is your plan for how to make sure those deaths aren't wasted, and I'll wait for you-but not for too much longer."

« Last Edit: 28 February 2016, 06:33:46 by Cannonshop »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2016, 02:59:34 »
1325, that is more like 3 battalions worth of dead.
I am waiting with baited breath for the Turkey invasion, I am sure that it will be very interesting. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Adjudicator

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2016, 04:03:02 »
I also await how will the 3060's era Kowloon defenses shored up in Ngoverse 4.0, AND how will the Jade Falcons anticipate and react to the signs and symptoms of Kowloonese beefing up on defenses.

Unlike NgoVerse 2.0 (the 2003 story "...and every Mother's son will suffer") , where the Falcons are privy to the official defenses and the Ngo's Merceneries / 'Mech Trouble teams, and managed to neutralise them very early, but got caught off guard by the populace and non-Mech assets Elizabeth scrounged up.

Or NgoVerse 3.0 (the 2008 fanfic "Enter the Falcon"), where they ARE aware of the hostile culture and the stubbornness of the populace, but only while doing history and intelligence research while en-route to Kowloon.

I would suspect that eight months ago, this world looked, through the eyes of the Watch, a bit like a fruit just at the right point in ripening, waiting to fall into our hands..."

"That fruit turns out to have lots of thorns on it."

With the Falcons aware of the culture and populace of Kowloon even before deploying forces, I wonder if that will change the deployment plan or the nature of the mission to Kowloon.

Hope to see a return of very interesting characters on both sides of the story.

fitzgerald

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2016, 04:53:23 »
I suspect the Falcon's will be quite upfront with things, mostly on the lines of 'Your a bunch of maniacs.  Cross this line and we start orbital bombardment'

Really though the smart play for the Falcon's is to go "We're here to challenge the Lyran Alliance forces for control of this system.   When we win taxes will drop by x%, all your forces will be offered Safcon back home.  All in coming and out going interstellar traffic will be through the designated stations we'll install at the zeinth and naidar points.'

We have no intention of actually running your damned planet, or sticking garrison troops on it.    Feel free to build as many tanks, IFVs and arty brigades as you'd like.   No Mechs/ASF or BA

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2016, 21:01:26 »
Really though the smart play for the Falcon's is to go "We're here to challenge the Lyran Alliance forces for control of this system.   When we win taxes will drop by x%, all your forces will be offered Safcon back home.  All in coming and out going interstellar traffic will be through the designated stations we'll install at the zeinth and naidar points.'

We have no intention of actually running your damned planet, or sticking garrison troops on it.    Feel free to build as many tanks, IFVs and arty brigades as you'd like.   No Mechs/ASF or BA   

Arty brigades? Does that include Thunderwell artillery?   >:D

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2016, 23:41:38 »
Nah, they may not be Clan Smoke Kzinti but someone will scream and leap
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org Member & LotB Refugee
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2016, 00:08:47 »
for ideas and pure 'what might have been' farts and giggles, I recommend the following:
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/you-are-a-3025-mercenary-3.216069/page-36#post-9152508

my little bit...
My character (Count of Solaris VII and CEO of a combined arms Mercenary DIVISION)
managed to turn Coventry into a M.A.D. slugfest with Clan Hell's Horses.
 Not that I intended for it to be a suicidal last stand...
:(
 but I did leave a reinforced combined arms regiment guarding Solaris VII,
 plus 10-12 factories churning out new Mechs, ASFs, and Tanks.
 oh yeah, 4-6 heirs which include at least 2 Natasha Kerensky & Jamie Wolf genetic donation heirs.
:D
 but anyway. I died. And at least to the Inner Sphere, gloriously on the field of honor.
 screw what the Clanner beer can bred bums think.

:)

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

kashim12

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2016, 01:09:09 »
for ideas and pure 'what might have been' farts and giggles, I recommend the following:
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/you-are-a-3025-mercenary-3.216069/page-36#post-9152508

my little bit...
My character (Count of Solaris VII and CEO of a combined arms Mercenary DIVISION)
managed to turn Coventry into a M.A.D. slugfest with Clan Hell's Horses.
 Not that I intended for it to be a suicidal last stand...
:(
 but I did leave a reinforced combined arms regiment guarding Solaris VII,
 plus 10-12 factories churning out new Mechs, ASFs, and Tanks.
 oh yeah, 4-6 heirs which include at least 2 Natasha Kerensky & Jamie Wolf genetic donation heirs.
:D
 but anyway. I died. And at least to the Inner Sphere, gloriously on the field of honor.
 screw what the Clanner beer can bred bums think.

:)

Ahhh, always love rereading it again!  But damn that Lancelot guy was an idiot!

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2016, 07:46:41 »
JFS Adamantine, October, 3064...

"Savashri, another history briefing?"  Star commander Peter was frustrated, "When did we turn into Goliath Scorpions? They're Freebirths, how-"

Star Captain Morgan Icaza swatted the young elemental warrior across the mouth, "Don't even say that. never say that, if the information were not relevant, we would not be getting it-and as for how bad it can be...Mississauga, Last Month."

Peter stared at the larger, older Elemental-Morgan was a veteran of the first wave of the invasion, and something of a moderate in a Clan dominated by extremes.  "I meant no disrespect...but these briefings are covering material centuries old..."

"Peter, how many warriors did it take to breach that defensive line on Mississauga?" Morgan asked, "after the battlemech units were crushed?"

Peter frowned, "Too many."

"The infantrymen stiffening their defense? came from Kowloon." Morgan told him, "How many bondsref'ed?"

"We never got that far." Peter said, "They kept fighting..."

"yes." Morgan told him, "They kept fighting to buy time for reinforcement that was not coming, and delayed your Sweep's progress for how long as a direct result?"

"Nearly a day...which suddenly makes a lot more sense." Peter agreed, "the rest of the planet's militia collapsed in minutes as soon as we broke that strongpoint."

"yes, yes it did." Morgan told him, "but it took you a day to do to Mississauga what other units accomplished against Sharon Bryan's command in mere hours on Melissia-the stark difference between what amounted to a bunch of Solahma stiffened with trashborn holding off Elite Falcon Warriors for a day, and Elite troops collapsing into confusion and defeat in a single stroke...we are going to the place the Lyrans got those infantry.  It might be useful to actually know how they think, since you have seen how they might fight under a commander that actually knows their strengths and weaknesses."

"I still fail to see the relevance." Peter insisted, "a few brave soldiers far from home could be the cream of their forces-"

"It probably is, by the standards of the enemy." Morgan instructed, "but it takes more than training and a rifle to make men like you have already faced-it takes motivation, faith, focus-and that comes from what?"

"culture." Peter looked thoughtful, "We are wasting this time because these are different."

Morgan nodded, "Precisely.  different...now sit down, the briefing is about to begin."

The briefer was a freebirth Watch officer assigned to their unit by Loremaster Kael Pershaw himself, she was a bit...ragged looking, in spite of a clear attempt to look properly groomed.  Part of Peter found the woman's raw imperfection sickening-her obvious intellect, on the other hand, was also a bit of a turn-on, however, his Star Captain had already laid down the law-nobody would be coupling with Shel without her express consent, a consent not a single warrior who'd tried, had managed to secure.

"We have covered the Rim Worlds conquest of Kowloon as it was documented in the Terran Hegemony and official Star League documents, the various uprisings and revolts up to the early 28th century.  we will now discuss the destruction of the city of Dinh Diep-a chapter that is somewhat shameful, given that it was a Star League vessel, violating the Ares Conventions, and the perpetrators were not only not punished, but were not even reassigned."

There were gasps around hte chamber at this.  Shel continued on, grimly, "Fifteen million civilians were erased for the crime of opposing Rim Worlds domination of their homeworld.  Looked upon rationally, they should have been-the Rim Worlds of 2729 was a stout, even devout, and reliable ally of the Terran Hegemony and a loyal territory of the Star League.  Stephan Amaris was a child, his parents were friends to the court."

"It began in local summer on Kowloon with a terrorist assassination-at least, that was the official record, unofficially and even in the investigation, it would seem a Rim Worlds soldier attempted to rape a prostitute, and was killed for it.  At that time, Dinh Diep was the planet's largest city, though the Capital was in the fortified area of Hue, some distance north-the reprisals for the killing got out of hand, and the situation escalated...eventually, House Amaris called on SLDF units conducting exercises on the nearby world of Arluna, to intervene."

as she spoke, holograms and maps displayed a tactical situation.  "The arrival of the SLS Bellau Wood and the 66th Royal Battlemech division should have quelled what had become a firestorm of insurgency and revolt.  The Rebels held the old planetary Capital in Dinh Diep, as well as most of the countryside outside of Hue.  A normal revolt, comprised of a few old veterans and a lot of disgruntled civilians, would have collapsed in mere minutes at the arrival of an SLDF division. These people opposed the landings-and opposed them competently. four of the Bellau Wood's six dropships were forced to crash-land, two of those catastrophically and the third was unable to be raised from the bottom of Golden Lake after order was restored...General Chivington was forced to reassess the strategic situation, and authorized limited orbital bombardment as preparation for arriving units from the Wood's transport group."

"According to the final investigation headed by then-Captain Aleksandr Kerensky, who was investigating it, you may recall, as a possible war crime, the crew of the Belleau wood recieved bad coordinates when attempting to 'soften' a bunker complex near the city, instead of bunkers, they fired on a municipal fission power plant inside the city limits-with Capital grade weaponry.  the impact drove a fission/fusion reaction in those old reactors..."  on the screen, a view of the planet showed an expanding bell of light, like a ground-bound star.  "Needless to say, the First Lord expressed...disappointment." she stated, "The Kerensky investigation cleared Chivington of wrongdoing in part due to the aggressiveness of the rebels' defense strategies, and the detonation was sufficient to deprive the rebels on that world of much of their leadership, as well as the bulk of the firepower they had captured from the Rim Worlds garrisons.  The Relevance of this event, is found in the rally cry of the last, and finally successful, attempt by the Kowloonese to eject their Rim Worlds overlords..."

Morgan Icaza raised his hand, "it was, 'Remember Dinh Diep'." he announced.

"That is correct, Star Captain.  The Kowloonese revolt in 2769 through 71 was, by comparison to the '29 revolt, brutal." Shel stated, "With Amaris focused on the Terran Hegemony, the Kowloonese lynched many Amaris officials and the arrival of the 331st Royal division saw the survivors clamoring for protection from the people they had oppressed...Protection that, eventually, resulted in intervention by General DeChevalier and General Kerensky-what was that intervention-from your prep work, Star Captain?"

Morgan stood up, folded his arms, "General Kerensky promised the locals recognition and SLDF support for independence from the Rim Worlds Republic in exchange for an end to the violence, and offered them a chance to strike back at their oppressors directly-through fighting along side the Loyal Star League units."

Shel nodded, "Quite correct.  According to General DeChevalier's war diary, the Kowloonese were 'beyond eager' to sign on to kicking the Usurper out-so long as 'no deals' and 'no forgiveness' were the policy. He speculated that had Amaris surrendered then-and-there, SLDF units and forces would be required to suppress them-they were unlike the other voluntary allies against Amaris-they did not come to restore a Star League or to remove a usurper-they were only interested in killing what they termed 'Rimjobs'-the motive was hatred and vengeance. a hatred manifested by the loss-rate of nearly three hundred percent, over the course of their involvement with the SLDF-that is to say, for every man that stepped forward at the start, they lost three by the end-they continued to pour in. the 171st Volunteers at the end of the war, when General Kerensky ordered them to stack arms and return home, was larger than they had been at the beginning of the conflict-after losing three men for every man who lived to muster out. By comparison, the SLDF as a whole, was nearly forty percent smaller than it had been the day Amaris took power, with a cumulative casualty loss rate of fifty percent for the duration of the war."

"I believe my ancestor called it, 'watching men jump into an inferno strike to put it out'." Morgan stated.

"I do not understand, why would they hate us now?" Peter asked.

"Because our ancestors left." Shel announced coldly.  "Operation Exodus, according to our Kowloonese opponents, was a betrayal of every promise Kerensky and his officers made-they were forced to accept Lyran economic hegemony, because the alternative was being too worn out, and lacking in resources, to fight off a resurrected or resurgent Rim Worlds.  To the rest of the Inner Sphere, the Exodus led to legends and an almost deific view of Aleksandr Kerensky-to them, he is simply an oathbreaking deserter...which brings us to the present."

Shel toggled a display.  "Blackjack, some of you know about it-the Academy. we actually had one of them convinced to see the truth in the Crusade...unfortunately, Cadet Henry Ngo was killed by a Rabid Fox team that was sent to extract him, as well as several other Cadets whom had been taken as bondsmen.  His brother, Patrick, likewise died in a friendly fire incident while fighting Clan Wolf at Tamar...leaving Elizabeth, a daughter with a multitude of problems, as the only surviving heir..."

the image shifted to the floor of the Estates General.  "This is her, in 3055, shortly after the death of Archon-Regent Melissa Steiner-Davion..."

The assembled warriors watched the entire tirade.

"Shall we forgive them?" Shel pointed out the key phrase.  "That girl is not talking about warriors killed on the battlefield, were we non-human aliens, it is doubtful that she would have expressed a fraction of the rage you see here.  We are the Star League and according to HER PEOPLE, our ancestors broke their oaths and abandoned them."

Morgan sat back down, as Shel began to recount Watch intercepts and estimations of force composition and strength in the Kowloon system, based on known industrial capabilty, population size, and captured data on military spending.  As she spoke, displays showed Bug-Eye imagery of training exercises, analyses of equipment types, and capabilities.

Finally, the Freeborn Watcher was finished, and Star Colonel Nathan Roshak stepped up to take over.

"This is not a garden-variety raid." He said, "We are not being sent as a diversion, The objective is as difficult as it is simple.  This galaxy is being deployed to bring the Kowloonese to heel. You may think of it, as fulfilling the promises of our ancestors, because we will be liberating them from the Traitor-Lord Lyrans...but it is important to understand-they will not see it that way at the beginning, and it will be among the most difficult tasks any of us will ever face, convincing them to submit.  Some of you remember missions where the Warrior Caste suppressed lower castes for defiance-doing that here, will destroy our objectives and create martyrs that will make them even more intractable."

"the Khan, our Khan stated to me, she does not want an 'honorable defeat', she will not accept anything but Total, Flawless, victory-if they submit, especially with all this-" he waved his hand at the imagery on the screens, "-Historical baggage, stubbornness, pig-headed grudges-it will destroy Lyran morale along the front, it will prove to the whimperers among hte Wardens, as well as to the lesser, false, Crusaders, that our way, is the right way. We are three jumps from the objective, go back to your commands, go over the current strategic data, keep in your sight the goal.  WE are the Star League, and we are coming to fulfill our obligations, whether they care for it or not."

« Last Edit: 28 February 2016, 06:33:18 by Cannonshop »

Sharpnel

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Up, up and away!
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2016, 07:59:01 »
Ah, the arrogance of the Jade Falcons is almost palpable. any victory they could a achieve would be a pyrrhic one.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, ZEU-6BL Zeus, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, VND-1R Vindicator 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company
Tai-i Shizuko Lofgren, Third Infantry Company, Oniwaka

The Honor of Men cannot be bound by the words of Fools - Marco Hietala
"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
It's an Omni, so I can build it into whatever I please - JHB
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

mikecj

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2016, 09:09:12 »
The slippery slide down the road paved with good intentions to the creek without a paddle
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2016, 11:57:45 »
I don't remember which version of the story this came from, but I will always associate Kowloon with The March of Cambreadth

The March of Cambreadth
music & lyrics: Heather Alexander

Axes flash, broadsword swing,
Shining armour's piercing ring
Horses run with polished shield,
Fight Those Bastards till They Yield
Midnight mare and blood red roan,
Fight to Keep this Land Your Own
Sound the horn and call the cry,
How Many of Them Can We Make Die!

Follow orders as you're told,
Make Their Yellow Blood Run Cold
Fight until you die or drop,
A Force Like Ours is Hard to Stop
Close your mind to stress and pain,
Fight till You're No Longer Sane
Let not one damn cur pass by,

Guard your women and children well,
Send These Bastards Back to Hell
We'll teach them the ways of war,
They Won't Come Here Any More
Use your shield and use your head,
Fight till Every One is Dead
Raise the flag up to the sky,

Dawn has broke, the time has come,
Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
We'll win the war and pay the toll,
We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
Midnight mare and blood red roan,
Fight to Keep this Land Your Own
Sound the horn and call the cry,

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2016, 14:15:48 »
So there will be Green Turkeys to be roast on Kowloon, because they think they will be able to bring them to HEEL!!! 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dave Talley

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2016, 18:41:56 »
Short of a massive orbital strike, I cant think of any way these turkeys have a chance of survival

😀
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2016, 20:42:08 »
I don't remember which version of the story this came from, but I will always associate Kowloon with The March of Cambreadth.
  Pretty sure someone quoted it in relation to the Coalition counter-invasion of Blaker-occupied Skye in Never Coming Home, written... ye gods, almost ten years ago:o

(And for the record?  The Coalition forces that hit Skye included a ’Loonie ‘emergency’ formation, LAAF regulars, and Clanners from Wolf-in-Exile, Jade Falcon, *and* Crusader-Wolves.  The scary part was how well the ’Loonies and Falcons performed together once they sorted out the division of labour....)

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2016, 20:52:36 »
I was expecting rather more incandescent rage at the implied insults and disrespect to Kerensky and the Star League: I know Ngo-verse Clanners are smarter and saner than most, but they're still Jade Falcons ...

I'm not sure they would claim to be the Star League: they think they're the only heirs to the Star League, and they're invading the Sphere to reestablish the League, but I've never seen Clanners claim to actually be the League.

And they intend to hold up their ancestor's promise of garunteeing Kowloon's independence ... by conquering it. Wow, impressive mental and moral gymnastics ... :D

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 27 February 2016, 03:44:49 »
I was expecting rather more incandescent rage at the implied insults and disrespect to Kerensky and the Star League: I know Ngo-verse Clanners are smarter and saner than most, but they're still Jade Falcons ...

I'm not sure they would claim to be the Star League: they think they're the only heirs to the Star League, and they're invading the Sphere to reestablish the League, but I've never seen Clanners claim to actually be the League.

And they intend to hold up their ancestor's promise of garunteeing Kowloon's independence ... by conquering it. Wow, impressive mental and moral gymnastics ... :D

They had time, that is, there is a significant gap of years between when Liz said it, and when it finally made it's way to someone in the Warrior Caste at a moment when there weren't:

1. Wolves to fight
2. Steel Vipers to fight.
3. Victor's invasion of the Homeworlds to fight.
4. The Ice Hellion's temper-tantrum to put down...

other factors that would cool that incandescent rage include the utter mockery and derision from sphere-side sources it generated-instead of being a powerful statement filled with powerful insults, it ends up playing like the impotent ranting of Sellen Cage.

basically at this point, it's cassus belli, but only one of several, and it is actually serving the Falcons' interest because it's insulting enough to motivate the warriors to really want to win this in spite of it being "the wrong direction from Holy Terra."

in this version, of course, part of the whole "true/false Star League" dynamic comes from the common statement in the canon labeling the second Star League as the "False" Star League by crusaders-some enterprising agitprop guy probably started the rumour in the ranks that they were, in fact, the "True" Star league by way of being the true heirs of the Star League.

I can't imagine Crusaders would shy away from the label, even if they aren't themselves making the claim.  It's kind of an 'unspoken' in that context.  Having the idea confirmed, even indirectly, by the 'loonies probably bolstered that. (*also you can blame Von Strang-who actually accused them of being the Star League back when his world was invaded in the pre-first-wave of Revival.)

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2016, 07:12:16 »
[My thanks to Deathrider6, who reminded me to check the books for dates.  Thanks to him, Liz is a few years older...]

Military Command Central, Hue, Kowloon, October 22, 3064...

"It's confirmed?" Elizabeth Ngo wasn't really supposed to even be in the complex, much less standing less than a meter from Colonel Hans Dietrich in the war room.

"Melissia has fallen." Hans nodded, He looked at the Duchess queerly, "I would ask why you're in here, instead of in the official shelters we established for the government, but you would probably turn Termagent on me again, and I doubt your Coast Guards would take kindly to me summarily ejecting you from my war-room."

she favoured him with a pixie-grin, "Probably not.  Li's contacted me-the Falcons had the Melissia system sewn up, but we managed to snag a couple of dropships from the retreating forces before they had it totally sewn shut."

He stared at her, "You weren't supposed to do that-how did you even know?"

She hopped up onto an empty desk, dangling her feet in an almost girlish way-a completely different image than the rather dour, grim, and serious face she showed the world at large.  "Spares." she told him, "Bryan sent a requisition for ammunition and spares, I had Li slip a couple of Coastie boats in with the cargo-ships in case the increased bandit-activity decided to prey on my shipments."

"You could have asked me for escorts, Duchess." he said, "It's kind of why I'm even here."

she shrugged, "I want your regulars in-system." She said simply, "Li's people are competent navigators and pilots, and I don't have to ask anyone's permission to use them-just write off the cost as a 'training exercise' and 'search and rescue'-which they did..." she reached into her vest pocket, pulling out a datadisc, "along with a little recon and some signals interception before my guys could jump out...makes for interesting reading.  there is a royal ******-ton of Falcon transports moving back toward the jump-points. Melissia wasn't a raid-they have the planet, and they're consolidating for an expanded offensive."

He took the disc, and passed it to his acting G-2 officer, a Kommandant Arnold with a file even Hans didn't have enough clearances to read.  "Which does NOT explain why you're here-in the single most targetable location on the planet, instead of safely getting your offices ready in the disaster bunkers in the Folly." he told her, "where you'll be safe."

"I have staff there." she said bluntly, then reached out and 'booped' his nose with a finger, "You're cute when you're on the edge of a panic attack, Hans...fact is, though, I'm where I should be, not where I'm supposed to be-because Li's nav-boys did a calc based on the enemy's burn trajectories as they approached the Nadir points at Melissia.  Consequently, I'm only on a layover to visit you, give you the disk, and tell you that your Duchess expects every Lyran to do his duty for the Archon-regardless of which."

"a...layover." he said.

"you said it yourself, Colonel-this is prime target alpha if they're going to take the planet-and the disaster shelters and plans are all stored here." Liz told him, "SO...the Coast Guard has found me alternative accomodations on the Plateau. I suggest you get my protectors out in the field-Li got a pretty good breakdown of what happened to Bryan through comm traffic intercepts-the Falcons dropped straight down on the command center, inside Sharon Bryan's well-laid-out defensive lines, and took it out first."

Hans stared for a moment, "Your Lyrans?" he scoffed.

"Your guys live here too, dependents have registered to vote. Makes them my people too-you need to get this dog-and-pony out of the big, vulnerable bunker complex and mobile before the can-bred freaks show up in my star system-based on the tonnage recorded by the Coasties and my frieight jockeys, they're bringing warships....now if they're normal Falcons, they can't nav that heavy iron from a pirate point, and our star system is a binary-means the proximity limit's out there unless they want to do a hot-jump between the suns...or so Li tells me.  Means it's going to be close."

"You're certain they're coming here?" he asked.

"Ony other target in one jump with a significant force is the wrong direction." Liz told him, "they're coming here.  Being as you are technically my superior thanks to a dead Margrave and a live Regent on Tharkad, you need to make the emergency official, and get the Soldiers you brought out of prime-bombardment-country and mobile...also, this might be the only chance I get to kiss you for luck."

Hans was shocked, as she wrapped her fingers around his shoulders, pulled his face down to her level, and laid one on his lips.  The shock turned to..something else when she slid her tongue into his mouth...

a definite 'something else' when she finally released him.  "Win it for me." She told him, "and I'll have something better for you."

With that, she hopped down off the desk, and hurried out the door.

he stood there, stunned and slightly uncomfortable a moment longer, then announced, "you heard her-War Plan Green, variation Two-MOVE IT!"

a few of the native personnel smirked a bit, then went back to their jobs, while he turned to poring over and issuing directives until the excitement died down and he could comfortably sit again.

"Have the combat engineering teams prep the bunker complex to greet the invaders-everyone else, spread doctrine, I want drop-caches and mobile supply columns in motion yesterday." He ordered, "and get this stuff boxed up and moved.  If she's right, they'll come here first."

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2016, 07:27:21 »
Coast Guard One, VTOL fixed wing, in route to CGAS Ia Drang...

"...kissed him?" Kelli Whyte scoffed, "You practically treat him like a servant!"

"He's cute, Single, and Straight." Liz stated, "Good family ties, smarter than the average Heinrich, and I'm pretty sure he digs short, dark-haired girls with green eyes and attitude-at least, now I'm pretty sure.  His reaction was..." she grinned and shivered, "He'll fight harder now."

"He'll do something harder now." Kelli said, "Seriously, though Liz...?"

Liz sobered her expression.  "I have sixteen years left." she told her aide, "what am I supposed to do? die a virgin?  Never date because my available pool of suitors are either the competition, the enemy, or my employees? Screw that, I thought I could make it work when I was sixteen.  I'm alive Kelli, part of the work, is living...besides, it was only a kiss. It isn't like he can magically get me pregnant from a kiss-if he lives, he's earned the right for something more, and if he wins..."  she shrugged, "I could do worse for a husband than an Officer with a Barony on New Capetown, entrusted with the defense of a world like Kowloon, who's actually got enough brains to know when to butt out, and when to interfere."

"Does he know?" Kelli asked crossly as the chopper rose from the valleys to the level of the Plateau-riding a thermal uptake.

"His...reaction...didn't seem like it." Liz told her, "I didn't tell him, anyway."

"if you get serious with this guy, you'll have to tell him." Kelli scolded, "It's not fair to him to not know when you hit stage two and start having seizures.  Not right or fair to let him hold on to ideas like 'long term' when you're going to die like that."

Elizabeth's high mood crashed, and she looked out the window.  "I know." she said, watching the sheer cliff rise beside them.  "He doesn't need to know until after, okay? once we beat the invaders, I'll tell him-I promise."

"That only applies IF we can beat them." Kelli reminded her.

"Yeah...motivation counts." Liz told her coldly, "if he didn't have the motivation to stay after what I felt from him in that kiss, well...I think I might've stirred some fire in his accountant's soul-besides, I prefer to err on the side of optimism this time-We'll win, because that's who we are-we won't quit or be defeated, not again, not on our own soil...I'm not Henry."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"NOT talking about it now, Kelli, just do a checkin with Coast Guard, Li estimated we've got a week to prepare before they can move from the zenith or nadir points to Kowloon itself, but I like to err on the conservative side and think they might try a pirate-point to get the jump on us."
« Last Edit: 28 February 2016, 14:35:11 by Cannonshop »

mikecj

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2016, 16:21:07 »
So who is Liz' heir?

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 28 February 2016, 17:11:40 »
Beta Galaxy command center, JFS Adamantine (Congress Class), Nadir Point, Kowloon system...

"Well, they wasted no time at all." Nathan Roshak was a 'mechwarrior, not a naval officer.  At the moment, the man commanding Clan Jade Falcon's 'answer' to Elizabeth Ngo's challenge on Tharkad could feel how useless he was.

On the screen, the assault group's dropships and fighters were already engaging.

"They staged deep."  Morgan Icaza also felt useless here.  The enemy's forces were spread out, small, and fast moving fighters and smallcraft, somehow deployed deep in the outer system, pecking away at the Omnifighters from Von Jankmon's escort group, but never quite concentrating enough for point-defenses or the warship's guns to provide support.

The pair of Star Lord transports were in trouble, forcing the warship to stick close to them in escort mode as they burned in-system toward the target planet.

"We should have used a Pirate jump." Nathan said quietly, "Come in between the suns..."

"The navigation computer rejected the solution, something about gravitation imbalances being outside of the prediction software."

Nathan snorted, "and safety limits." He said, "Which is why it would have been better than..this.  We knew they knew we were coming, and they knew we were coming, so they set up an ambush deep."

"Losses are minimal, and our aerospace warriors are damaging them." Morgan observed.

"but nothing decisive." Nathan said, "To make a decisive move, we would first have to get the stravagon bastards to concentrate!"

Several icons for the fighter group shifted to yellow status-they were bingo fuel and off the vector of approach.

"they are using their 'legs'-our pilots are forced to either break off pursuit, or run out of fuel on a dangerous ballistic path." Nathan observed, while the Commander Air Group consulted with the Naval commander, before ordering the fighter screen to pull in, and the low-fuel fighters to return for refueling and rearmament.

"I do not think we need to bother with a Batchall, do you?" Nathan asked rhetorically.

"I think it does not matter...what are these inbound tracks?" Morgan replied.

the Naval commander, an older Aerospace warrior whose accomplishments had pushed him up the ladder to command a proper warship looked to the same screen, and began to swear, loudly, before ordering the formation to spread out.

"Star Captain, what are those?" Nathan asked.

"Rocks." the old Aeropilot spat, "They are throwing rocks at us, at speeds that result in large-scale energy release on contact, and they have our vector, velocities, and our most probable accelleration worked out well ahead of time."

"rocks."

"High density projectiles, requires more firepower to divert it, than engine power to avoid-but it still requires spreading the formation..."

"Which makes it harder to escort, forces us to spread our fighter cover and use more fighters, and forces us to burn fuel." Nathan noted, "cunning. also unexpected. How are they pushing them?"

Von Jankmon snorted and a view came up, from one of the telescopes.

A lump of nickel-iron colloid, wrapped with cables, an engine strapped to the rear.

the object on the screen finally, apparently, ran out of fuel-then detonated, creating a spread of ore and dust moving at high tau, like a giant's shotgun.

one of the transports tried to evade-only to have sheets of hull larger than a Battlemech sheared and smashed away, the jumpship behind it lacked the thrust to avoid what would arrive in just a few short minutes-the debris would, he knew, continue on out of the system, leaving the point clear.

"okay, that is new.  All vessels burn for the planet at maximum thrust. the points are clearly indexed!" Here, Nathan would not interfere in the aerospace warrior's commands-getting in-system was his objective, after all-and getting the transport group out of a shooting gallery was part of Von Jankmon's job.

"Where did they get those? who set it up?" Nathan murmured aloud.  "Von Jankmon, historically this system had a small community of belters, quiaff?"

"Apparently not so small."  the older man replied.

"Apparently.  also apparent that these are not going to let us walk in and take the planet uncontested-how would you do it?"

"Do what? attack? or defend?"

"Defend. Imagine you are in command of a belt operation, how would you do it?"

"assuming no warship support on my side, and limited combat dropships? I would use small jumpships to move fighters in-system via pirate points, and I would do what these people did. mine the zenith and nadir points, plus any stable pirate points."

"and to suppress this sort of defense?"

"We do not have the fuel to do what I would do." Nigel spat, "Finding burrows in a belt is time-and-fuel consuming to a ridiculous degree.  Targeting major stations only makes them disperse.  A Snow Raven might have a better plan, I do not, save that the closer we get to a major gravity well, the less effective those kinetic weapons are against ships-we need to be closer to the target world, they will not bombard their own planet for a target as small as a Frigate."

Nathan frowned, "Could we do an in-system jump?" he asked, "I do not look forward to a week of this."

"I will do what I can-we have real-time positioning data on the major bodies now." Nigel said, nodding slowly, "I think it may be doable..." he turned to the gunnery and CAG officers, "Keep those rocks off us, I need to have a discussion with the Nav officer, jump calculator, and a crowbar."

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 28 February 2016, 17:36:37 »
KCGS President, Sampan class jumpship, Belt zone, Boojum (Kowloon 4)...

Commodore Alicia Li watched the tactical plot as members of two mining combines working with the 2nd Black squadron of the Coast Guard blooded the Clanners at the Nadir point.  "Send the signal to fall back to the first rally." she ordered, "They're going to make a run deep into the system...but they'll be doing it without that Titan class.  also have Lori watch their second Star Lord there-she's not pulling enough gee to get clear of the kinetics, I don't know how good Falcon SAR teams are, but... if they're burning hard for the planet, those spacers of theirs might be stuck for weeks."

Stuck for weeks on a dead ship is a spacer's second worst nightmare. It isn't suffocation that kills you, it's the cold, especially that far from a system primary.  The worst, of course, being fire in the pressure envelope.

"It's confirmed, Commodore, just like the Gloria reported-enemy forces in Galaxy strength, with a warship in support...do we call the boss now?"

Li nodded.  "We call the Duchess, and let the Heinie garrison know falcons are inbound, in force."

"I'm getting a signal from Kowloon, ma'am.  The Heinie garrison CO apparently took the warning seriously after all-they're calling War Plan Green, second variant."

Li smiled, and sipped from a bulb of coffee as she floated above the deck, "Excellent.  Let the combines know-bonuses for Falcon Scrap, and double shares from the Duchess herself for Falcon prisoners taken before they make landfall."

"Aye aye."

Double Shares is a big deal to Rockjacks, it means the ability to requisition supplies they would normally have to pay out for, including luxuries like fresh fruit, planet-grown meat, and other costly organics that are hard to grow in nullgee or lowgee environments.

"Tell everyone though-'No stupid risks'-you can't spend double shares if you're dead or captured." she added, "The plan is stick-and-move, straggle their line. we're not big enough to stop them but we can make their lives hell all the way to Kowloon orbit."

"Aye, Commodore-who's got your dirtside job while you're here?"  Sixty One Rierson, her 'space side' executive officer, asked.

"Cho has it-she's good, did some time running a Luftenburg for Lyrans, and she's got hours clocked running submarines."

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 28 February 2016, 17:44:22 »
So who is Liz' heir?

well...we really don't know yet, being as Liz has not taken the time to knock boots with anyone,but isn't it nice to see she's grown out of the megagoth-depressive phase-at least a little bit?  She is, at least, considering the possibility of having relationships, maybe even kids.  see how bad hormones can screw with your judgement?

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 28 February 2016, 19:06:38 »
JFS Adamantine, 3 days into the Kowloon system.

"...damage report?"  Nigel Von Jankmon was getting tired of this.

"Five O'clock charlie hit Roc's Egg and Pride of Malthus, we are conducting search-and-rescue operations for warriors from those dropships. The Broadsword class Buhallin is a total write-off, and they have inflicted seventy percent damage to the armor and engines of the Pentagon class Striking Claw."

"Five O'Clock Charlie?" He asked, "We are giving them nicknames now?"

Before his subordinates could respond, the proximity alerts sounded again, announcing that another half-hour had passed.

Crew and Warriors scrambled to battle stations-for the last two days, the natives had taken to regularly scheduled potshots, hitting with fighters sometimes, and dumbfire kinetics at others.

"What are they this time?" he demanded.

"Smallcraft...warbook shows Aquarius class-founder, those must be ancient. They are the high-thrust versions, not quite as many weapons as a proper assault ship,nor as fast as a proper heavy fighter...but well built for this sort of deep-system engagement."

The harassment had prevented his pilots from getting rest, along with the crew, and their passengers.  Scrambling responses meant burning fuel.

"I'm picking up fighters coming from high z-axis, spinward...more of those Slayers..something is off about the profile."

Nigel tabbed to the port sensor operator's screen.  "hmmm...external warload." He said, "Spin up our point defense, if we are fortunate, those are rocket pods-but the possibility that the Lyrans let them have Alamos is not out of the question."

"I am not getting a neutron signature off the ordinance..."

"Sound radiological hazard alarms anyway." Nigel snapped, "they could be well-shielded. Scramble Sweep star to intercept those strike fighters, I don't want them to get  a targeting solution in our convoy."

"Secondary drive plumes-looks like solid-rocket propellant..."

He smiled, and relaxed.  "Arrow IV's." he said, "surface attack missiles, slow, dinky warhead for the mass, reply with Barracuda fire bracketing their formation."

Harassment. Nigel floated to his own seat in the command deck, enough threat to make us respond, but not enough that we're willing to commit forces devoted to the landing.

"They are working our nerves." Nigel stated, "inflicting minor damage but forcing us to respond, no doubt hoping for an asymmetrical reaction-make us commit significant force to stop the hassle."

on the screen, the barracuda spread swerved, and blossomed.

the native fighters broke off, as their smallcraft counterparts flashed through the convoy, Clan fighters in pursuit.

"Break pursuit at twenty thousand kilometers." Nigel ordered.

"Sir?"

"They want us to straggle our escort force and leave the main convoy under protected, they want to deprive our pilots of sleep, food, and fuel."  He folded his hands, "I won't let them. when our warriors reach the target, they will have fuel, munitions, and rest for the battle."

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 28 February 2016, 20:19:18 »
The pair of Star Lord transports were in trouble, forcing the warship to stick close to them in escort mode as they burned in-system toward the target planet.
Minor issue: JumpShips can't pull more than a fraction of a gravity: Star Lords have a max-thrust of 0.1g. They don't head in-system, they remain at the jump points, while the DropShips they transport head in towards the planet in question.

croaker

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 28 February 2016, 20:31:27 »
Minor issue: JumpShips can't pull more than a fraction of a gravity: Star Lords have a max-thrust of 0.1g. They don't head in-system, they remain at the jump points, while the DropShips they transport head in towards the planet in question.

0.1g is more than enough to make the trip if they need to. They won't be fast, and their path will be a lot more predictable than something capable of higher thrust, but they can do it.

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 28 February 2016, 20:47:53 »
.1G is enough to travel from Nadir/Zenith Jump zones while taking just over 3* as long as a 1G transit.
Proof:
D = 1/2 a*t^2
Distance = transit distance
A = acceleration (1 G for normal, .1G for the slow path)
t = time to travel (T1 = travel time at 1G, T2 = time at .1G)
D = 1/2 * (1G) * (T1)^2
D = 1/2 * (.1G) * (T2)^2
1/2 * (1G) * (T1)^2 = 1/2 * (.1G) * (T2)^2
(1G) * (T1)^2 = (.1G) * (T2)^2
1G * (T1)^2 = .1G * (T2)^2
1 * (T1)^2 = .1 * (T2)^2
10 * (T1)^2 = (T2)^2
SQRT(10 * (T1)^2) = T2
T2 = SQRT(10 * (T1)^2)
T2 = SQRT(10) * T1
T2 ~ 3.14 * T1

As for the Belters, someone should be telling them to avoid being predictable.  Every half hour means the defenders have a rough schedule and can figure something out.  Now if they did random attacks anywhere from 2 minutes to 3 hours apart, that would keep the Clanners awake all the time.

Of course, if it ever looks like the Clanners are relaxing their guards, the Belters will take advantage of the lull and attack.

This transit should also be a lesson to the Mechwarriors in the Clan force.  The locals will always harass, they will always look for a weakness, and if you make a mistake they will kill you.  The smart Warriors are setting up beds and food stations near the landing bays so the Pilots don't have to go too far to get food and sleep, allowing them to have more rest before the next attack.