Register Register

Author Topic: Random Events[Nebula California]-Take 2  (Read 2669 times)

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
Re: Random Events[Nebula California]-Take 2
« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2022, 15:14:37 »
[Author]  Still kind of struggling to get back on my plan and regular service but today work has ensured I am continuing this story again as best I can.  [/Author]

Trench lines
Stalingrad
Toreel
Nebula California
9 February 3153
Local morning
Daniel's perspective

He looked at the results of last night's battle.  No calling it a battle was wrong.  That would imply the raiders had a chance.  Even the small collection of hand guns and hunting rifles that they had to call upon were more than able to provide a lopsided victory for them.

"How are our defenders?"  Daniel suspected the answer but still had to ask.

"More bad than good I am afraid.  We're going to have major morale problems on top of our ammunition issues."  Fezzik answered.

"I was afraid of that.  In a way it is easier to wrap one's head around a battle than a one sided slaughter like last night.  How many more fights like last night can we handle before we have no choice but to resort to similar weaponry?"  While he didn't know the answer already he knew he wouldn't like it.

"If no one else coughs up more weapons or ammo, five more with how much ammunition was used."  Fezzik seemed dower.

"Damn.  We have good farming land but best reports are we don't have a lot of mineral content to mine under us."  Daniel shook his head.

"We may need to consider a raid on the Star Empire or the so called Earth."  Fezzik raised an uncomfortable truth.

There were some key holes in the tooling they were able to bring with them.  Enough that making even ammunition was some time off yet and that was assuming they were even able to find the raw resources.

"Start drawing it up.  If we can keep a garrison here and have enough volunteers left over I tend to agree we may not have a real choice."  Daniel nodded.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2022, 16:34:53 by monbvol »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2022, 16:25:12 »
*pssst* They call it "Earth" here in the Nebula. Terra's that OTHER homeworld. ;)

- Herb

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2022, 17:24:28 »
[Author]  Have I mentioned how much I hate myself for not paying enough attention to which allergy medicine to pick up?  [/Author]

Meanwhile at Wellman Castle...

Kevin scowled.  So far they had not noticed that he was spying on his new tenants but them going elsewhere in the nebula to solve their supply issues just would not do.

"Selena, honey, I have a favor to ask."  Kevin looked at his wife.

"Same as the last favor?"  Selena gave a half smile.

"The other kind of favor."  Kevin smirked.

"Oh.  This should be fun."  Selena's smile broadened.

Improvised spaceport
Stalingrad
a few moments later

Selena popped into a secluded part of the new town.

The four large sphere shaped Dropships were spread out in front of her.

She adjusted her clothes and made some slight adjustments to her appearance to blend in better then walked to the closest one.

Kevin had tried explaining these 'Dropships' to her before.  She still didn't fully understand them but this was not the first time she had to do what she was about to do.

These people were much like Kevin's when they first arrived.  No one even stopped to question her as she made her way to the engine bay.

"Hazit.  Time for you to serve your queen."  Selena nearly whispered as she called forth one of her demon servants.

"How may I serve you my queen?"  The small winged creature appeared kneeling at her feet.

"You remember the game I had you play about 50 years ago in a place much like this?"  Selena smiled.

"It was much fun my queen.  Is it time again?"  Hazit smiled.

"Yes.  Have fun."  Selena kissed the small creature on the forehead.

Hazit's body warped into the shape of a rat as he worked into the pipes and wiring of the engineering space.

Selena began whistling a jaunty tune as she walked back out of the ship.

I almost feel ashamed of myself for how good I have gotten at passing myself off as a human.  But to have fun I need to deny my natural need to draw attention.  Selena thought to herself.

Gaining access to the next ship was no more difficult than the first.  This one had even less people aboard despite being larger.  The layout was a bit different but easy enough for her to follow.

"Galib.  Time to serve your queen."  Selena summoned another of her servants.

A similar small winged creature came into being at her feet.

All Selena had to do was smile and point and Galib disappeared from sight and went to work.

As she made her way out of the ship a small but well muscled human woman stepped up to her.

"I don't recognize you.  Who are you and what are you doing on this ship?"  The woman barked.

"I was asked to bring a part over."  Selena tried to bluff.

"By who?"  The woman wasn't backing down.

"Susan."  Selena cursed herself for not paying more attention when Kevin was scrying on them.

"Security!"  The woman barked.

Selena ran for the nearest cover she could find then teleported back to her starting spot.

"That was too close.  Hewit and Greb.  Time to serve your queen."  Selena sighed.

"Yes my queen."  The two small creatures appeared at her feet.

"I need you two to go play gremlin in that place and that one.  One of you each.  I don't care who takes which.  Just hurry and don't get caught."  Selena pointed at the last two ships.

"We obey."  The two creatures turned invisible then flew away.

Selena thought about chancing a new disguise to get them into the last two targets directly as she had the first two but decided she had risked enough.

Her mission accomplished she teleported back to her husband.

"It is done."  Selena smiled as she assumed a more pleasing form with suitable attire.

"Good.  Now for your reward."  Kevin smiled.

At least he is more skilled than most humans and thus it is more enjoyable than usual.  Still that he thinks he is my master suits my purposes.  Selena smiled.

Back at Stalingrad

Daniel looked at the wrecked remains of the engine of their largest Dropship.

"I don't know how he did it so fast but he really did a number."  Gilly sighed.

"What are the prospects of getting one operational again?"  Daniel dreaded the answer.

"Maybe if we combine the stuff that still works from each we could get the Maru Maru flying again.  But even that feels like a long shot and is months if not years of work."  Gilly shook her head.

"As long as we still have power."  Daniel sighed.

In a way he was glad that he wouldn't have to convince people to go on a raid.  It was hard enough to convince people to pull guard duty when their main aim was to get away from the endless fighting.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2022, 16:27:49 »
[Author]  I swear every time I think I'm in a position where I don't have to be somewhere by a certain time after work something new pops up to make sure I do.  Silver lining is at work is another one of those tests where I have a reasonable amount of time to write because I have nothing else to do while dealing with log collection/upload.  [/Author]

Stalingrad Council Chambers
Toreel
Nebula California
11 February 3153
local noon
Daniel's perspective

There were a lot of angry voices in the small chamber today.

"Look, mistake or not we're well and truly committed now.  We don't have any other choice.  For those thinking of striking out on their own I'll point out that the only direction for you to go is toward the obviously hostile natives.  I should also add just because they are armed with primitive weapons does not mean they are harmless."  Daniel let his own frustration break through more than he intended.

The grumbling quieted down but Daniel knew better than to count on logic trumping emotion.

"Fine.  We'll go along for now but another misstep and I think it will be time for a change in leadership."  Gavin wasn't any happier than his people after the debacle.

"Next order of business.  What have we learned about how the sabotage happened on our Dropships so we might be able to prevent more?"  Daniel already knew the answer but he needed to put on a show for the others.

"Finger prints are inconclusive for the most part.  Some of it actually looks more like big rats got in the inner workings and started chewing away.  Whoever it was knew how to dress like a tech which suggest training or familiarity.  As far as keeping it from happening again, well they did too good of a job in a way.  Now that we only have to protect the Maru Maru we'll be able to have something resembling a perimeter."  Fezzik sighed.

"Since we can't solve our problems off world with trade or raiding it seems we have little choice but to increase our scouting efforts.  There must be some remains of the Star League technology that brought this place into being in the first place.  We have to find it."  Daniel rubbed his chin.

"That's assuming Kevin hasn't already secured it."  Gilly chimed in.

"If he had it or knew where it was I'm pretty sure Kevin would have found a way to lord it over us."  Daniel shook his head.

"Every settlement we have found so far is either too small to be of much use of or under Kevin's thumb."  Fezzik added.

"It is a planet and we haven't been here long."  Daniel felt sure he'd settled particular matter.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2022, 20:52:55 »
I think Daniel is going to find out the hard way how unsettled things really are...  >:D

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 19 May 2022, 14:55:46 »
[Author]  Now for some more fun stuff.  [/Author]

Market District
Storm's End
Toreel
Nebula California
12 February 3153
Daniel's perspective

The area was bustling but surprisingly spacious.  When the scouts reported back such a major city that seemed to be truly independent he had to check it out for himself.

The cries of merchants selling various wares from stalls lining the streets combined with the bustle of the crowd to make a constantly shifting sea of noise.

Moving through the crowds wile keeping an eye on one's valuables was a difficult experience.  Eventually though he found the place he was looking for.

Ivan had given Daniel some of the local currency.  The small gold coins didn't weight much individually but added up quite quickly.

A young copper skinned woman with slightly less pronounced ears was behind the counter of this shop.

"Hello.  How may I help you?"  The young woman said sweetly.

"I am looking for the oldest maps of Toreel you have available.  I was told you specialize in such things."  Daniel answered trying to put on as much charm of his own he could.

"Unfortunately you've been misinformed.  We only sell maps from the last 50 years."  The young woman seemed much more guarded now.

"Oh.  I see.  Well show me your oldest maps."  Daniel cursed himself.

Idiot.  Even if Kevin doesn't control this city of course they'd be guarded about what they really have.  Now you just blew your chance.

The young woman produced an assortment of maps.  One showing Toreel, one for each continent, and an assortment of others showing various cities.

Daniel looked at the listed prices and did the math.

He could afford the global map and one other.  He selected the one that covered Kevin's lands.

He counted out the coins and placed them on the counter.

meanwhile at Wellman Castle

Kevin watched the projection of Daniel's shopping trip as Selena cuddled up to him.

"They're trying to find ways around becoming your thralls.  Shouldn't you do something to curb their curiosity?"  Selena purred.

"It's fine.  That particular shopkeeper knows better than to help strangers with such requests after what I did to her sister."  Kevin answered with a slight smile.

"I think I remember now.  Wasn't her name Alice?  That was fun."  Selena smiled.

"Yes and it was.  But as far as Daniel and his people it is best to let them have a little hope that they may evade their fate as my new tenants."  Kevin kissed his wife.

"Your deviousness was what drew me to you in the first place."  Selena shifted in Kevin's lap.

"Careful or I might think you want to get frisky."  Kevin smirked.

"I always want to get frisky."  Selena moved again to where she was now facing Kevin.

Back at Stalingrad about an hour later

Daniel rolled out the maps for the others.

"It's not much but until we get more trade going it'll have to do."  Daniel said as he started studying to global map.

"I was hoping maybe we'd found a chink in Kevin's armor so to speak.  But it seems what I feared is true.  Despite having far too little garrison power Kevin still has far too much striking power.  So even though they are politically independent technically speaking but in reality they probably pay a quiet tithe to Kevin to avoid being made an example of."  Fezzik looked at the smaller regional map.

"It still gives us an area to operate out of for further scouting areas that is reasonably secure."  Daniel nodded.

"I'll setup another team."  Fezzik smiled.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 24 May 2022, 15:34:05 »
[Author]  Let's see where I can take today's offering.  [/Author]

Daniel's office
Stalingrad
Toreel
Nebula California
7 September 3153

The last few months had been thankfully tedious but largely uneventful.  No new sabotage, raids, and the crops had started coming in.  Which meant trade.  This was welcome as now they could stop sending Kevin some of the few techs they had to pay their rent in that fashion but it didn't really help them be as independent as many would have liked.

What had presented a possibility in that regard was what some of the exploration teams had uncovered.

Gilly was absolutely stumped at how the sword on Daniel's desk actually worked.  When wielded it seemed to be bathed in flame but the user didn't have trouble holding the blade.  Dummies had scorch marks but putting the blade up against them didn't set them aflame.

"Ivan's reports did indicate items such as these were not unheard of.  What about the person we got it from?"  Daniel studied the blade.

"Yes, that one was a bit odd.  According to the team it was some sort of lizard like biped that proclaimed itself Solid Snake, Warlord of the Scartooth Kobold Clan.  It took a surprising number of rounds of ammunition to put down for such a small and scrawny looking creature."  Fezzik answered.

"The level of mutation and gene editing on this planet frankly defies any understanding of science I thought I had."  Daniel's scowl deepened.

"I am afraid this means we can't put off what we wished to avoid any longer."  Fezzik's expression matched Daniel's.

"Kevin clearly seems to have a source for parts and ammunition for his mechs to have lasted 50 years of active use.  He put on a good show but if we go to him for such things we'd be doing exactly what he really wants and thus be bound to him."  Daniel sighed.

"I am starting to wonder why that would be so bad.  True we've heard some not pleasant rumors but our neighbors don't seem to have issue living under his rule."  Fezzik rubbed his chin.

"Just a sense I have about the man tells me that would not be good for us long term.  But maybe you're right.  Maybe we are just being too paranoid."  Daniel nodded.

Meanwhile at Wellman Castle

Kevin smiled.

"Seems they took their first step on accepting their fate."  Selena smiled from her own chair.

"Yes.  I think another Orc raid just might be what pushes them over."  Kevin's smile never faded.

"Best part is with it being harvest season I may not even have to call in some favors.  They just might do it on their own."  Selena got up and cuddled with her husband.

"Even better.  I now have vassals between me and any possible rivals.  True it doesn't make me proof against attack but with my Royal Guard now properly functioning I can turn my attention toward other matters."  Kevin held his wife.

"This is quite possibly the closest Toreel has come to being under one ruler as far back as I can remember.  Those that you don't directly control are too scared of you to try anything."  Selena gave her husband a peck on the cheek.

"What can possibly stop me now?"  Kevin looked in his wife's eyes.

Meanwhile back on Terra

"Ovkhan, I believe we have a lead on where the fugitives you seek may have gone.  We have recovered from an ancient datanet a report on a Star League research Colony.  Combined with what the watch has uncovered about their leader it seems a likely place for them to take refuge."  Star Captain Jenna Carns briefed the ilKhan.

"Good.  With this we may remove one last stain from the universe.  I task you with the elimination of the abomination.  As soon as the needed supplies can be gathered for the trip there and back I wish you to depart."  Alaric smiled.

"I obey OvKhan."  Jenna saluted then departed.

She smiled to herself.  To be trusted with this assignment meant she had exceeded her own expectations.  Yes the trip would take some time in which her rivals could garner favor and glory but if she could bring back the head of the abomination she would leap past them.  She may even be in a position to become one of the next Khan of Clan Wolf.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2022, 17:54:27 »
I have to admit I'm finding it hard to think of a scenario Selena can't beat...  8)

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 25 May 2022, 10:35:17 »
[Author]  If no one has figured out that Selena is a succubus yet, well oops.  :P  But yeah that's kind of their thing.  They may not have the most outright power of the various denizens of hell but they are cunning and powers behind thrones.  [/Author]

Trench lines
Stalingrad
Toreel
Nebula California
20 September 3153
local morning
Daniel's perspective

The Orcs came again.  Their ammunition supplies were now critical.

There was no choice now.  They had to see what terms Kevin would demand for his protection.

He knew this is exactly what Kevin wanted.  The reports were pretty clear.  As much as they had no mechs and only a small mixed bag of firearms and those that knew how to use them to any degree whatsoever,  they seemed to be the only real threat left on all of Toreel to Kevin's rule and now they were about to be put in a position where challenging that would be next to impossible.

Not that they would or could before but that he clearly placed them to be an ablative shield on a previously open front made the arrangement not sit well with Daniel or Fezzik.

Throne Room
Wellman Castle
the next morning

"Daniel, good to see you again.  What brings you by?"  Kevin's smile was clearly for show.

"The locals are proving dangerous and our ammunition is running low.  You've been here some time and seem to have some way to resupply yourself.  We need either supplies or your protection."  Daniel knew there was no point in being subtle or coy.

"Oh my.  Is it really that bad?  I had hoped that you were better prepared and supplied.  Still I am not heartless.  I can send you a few rifles and some ammunition since I doubt I make anything that will fit your weaponry.  Say six rifles and twelve magazines for twenty pounds of gold."  Kevin's smile was now sincere but wicked.

"How much for when we just need ammunition?"  Daniel asked flatly.

"Oh I can manage twenty four magazines for fifteen pounds of gold."  Kevin was obviously relishing this.

"We'll find a way."  Daniel knew with their current trade deals that would leave them too little to obtain anything else from the locals.

"I wish I could be more lenient on the cost but producing weapons and ammunition of a standard we are used to is quite difficult and complex on this world.  Which means expensive."  Daniel could sense there was some truth to that but knew Kevin was gouging them.

Command Center
Dropship Kerensky's Vision
Toreel system
Nebula California
6 June 3154
Star Captain Jenna Carn's perspective

The recovered archive had hinted at this being a treasure trove of lost Star League relics.  But the world below them showed no signs of it.  Indeed the only signs of technology were faint readings of what were most likely active mech reactors on the surface.

The mixed Trinary that she had brought with her should be more than enough for such a task.

"The ilKhan's orders were clear.  We are to kill the abomination and the last vestiges of the Word of Blake that have followed him here.  This is a Trial of Annihilation as far as they are concerned.  They seem to be using their Dropships as part of their colony here based off our high resolution telescope imagery.  We are only picking up fusion reactions in one of them.  They may have allies with mechs in this settlement to their north.  To eliminate this possibility Star Commander Lilith I wish for you to deploy your star of mechs north of the river in a position to cut them off if they should come to the aid of our foes.  Star Commander Jerome you and your Elementals will deploy in a perimeter around the rest of their settlement.  I and the rest of my star will deploy into their settlement proper and begin the extermination.  Let none escape us this time."  Jenna was eager to finally end this.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 25 May 2022, 17:31:06 »
Now that the cards are on the table, I honestly can't think of a scenario an intelligently played succubus can't beat...  8)

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2022, 14:10:48 »
[Author]  Now for the fun to begin.  [/Author]

Throne Room
Wellman Castle
A few hours later

Kevin was not pleased.  More visitors had come into the Nebula and it was clear what their intentions were.

No attempt to broadcast and coming straight for his realm and his new vassal.

He began to wonder if somehow there was a way to at least get information out of the Nebula as this seemed far too coincidental.

"Oakheart I have need of you."  Kevin grumbled.

"Yes my King?"  The Elf woman seemed to appear out of nowhere.

"We have visitors.  Not the good kind this time.  Gather the Royal Guard.  Half deployed here and the other half I want at Stalingrad.  Selena I wish to speak to Daniel now.  Seems I have some questions I failed to ask him that now need answers."  Kevin started calming down.

Selena smiled then vanished.

Daniel's office
Stalingrad

Daniel knew this was a possibility.  Clan Wolf had come for them.  He had hoped they would have more time or would find more resources to make a better stand.

"Hello."  Selena's voice broke Daniel from his concentration.

"Selena.  I didn't know you were here.  I must have been more lost in thought than I realized."  Daniel also made note to have words with his staff about announcing visitors.

"Kevin has questions for you.  I am here to collect you so that you may answer them."  Selena smiled.

"I guess that is to be expected given our current situation.  We should have enough time to catch a flight there."  Daniel had hoped to avoid this conversation too.

"I have a faster way.  Take my hand."  Selena smiled.

Daniel unsure gently took Selena's outstretched hand.

Then he felt something akin to the unreality of a K-F jump flood his senses then when his vision cleared and he recovered he realized they were now standing in the throne room of Wellman Castle.

"How the..."  Daniel trailed off.

"Thank you Selena my dear.  Daniel we need to talk."  Kevin was obviously in a poor mood.

"Clan Wolf."  Daniel gathered himself.

"I know in your messages when you first came here seeking sanctuary you said you were refugees from Terra.  No one comes all the way out here for simple refugees and if they were after the Star League tech in the Nebula I have trouble believing they wouldn't be calling ahead for something like that."  Kevin scowled.

"Truth is a lot of the people in our settlement are the sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, add a grand in some cases of those members of the Word of Blake that were able to qualify for Stone's amnesty programs.  Even though these people and their ancestors did nothing wrong the guilt of association is still strong enough in Clan Wolf's eyes that we must be purged."  Daniel sighed.

"I think there is more.  This still seems an odd approach for even that motivation."  Kevin rubbed his chin.

"Yeah.  Alaric wants my head in particular.  The Word of Blake got a hold of iron womb technology and decided to create the ultimate insult to the Clans.  Amaris, Kerensky, McEvedy, and even a sample from Trent equals me."  Daniel didn't like sharing that secret.

"Add in that they hope to recover wonders of the Star League and it makes sense that they are not just shelling us from orbit and being done with it.  The good news for you is to keep my plans from being derailed I need to protect you in this instance.  So you shall have it.  Selena will take you home so you may help coordinate your own defenses.  Oakheart will be along soon with some of my mechs.  We will deal with this expedition.  Then we will talk again."  Keven leaned back in his throne.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 27 May 2022, 15:05:13 »
Well, that's ONE way to get a steady supply of salvage to deliver itself to your door...  ::)

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 27 May 2022, 16:18:24 »
[Author]  The combining of those particular genetics was something I've always had in the back of my head as a concept expressly for the purpose of angry people don't make rational decisions and thus can be lured into traps more easily.  Delays meant Daniel just wasn't ready in time.  [/Author]

North side of the river
near Stalingrad
Jenna Carns perspective

The landing was a debacle.  A sudden surge of strong wind dictated her forces land much farther to the north than she wanted.  She would have to have a word with the scientist caste who did not foresee this possibility.

Now there was a risk that some of the stains might escape.

"Attention forces of Clan Wolf.  You may surrender now and avoid bloodshed.  Resist and you will be defeated.  Quite handily."  A female voice came over the comms.

"I am Star Captain Jenna Carns.  We are warriors of the ilClan.  We do not surrender to empty threats."  Jenna snapped back over an open channel.

"Then by the command of the King of Everything, Kevin Wellman, first of his name, I Captain of the Royal Guards Ainna Oakheart will be your doom."  The voice answered.

Jenna then felt the ground underneath her Timber Wolf begin to shake.  There seemed to be no explosions to indicate buried explosives or artillery but it was taking Jenna a great deal of effort to keep her mech upright.

The only explanation was a groundquake but there were not indications of fault lines or volcanoes in the area.  It puzzled her almost as much as she still could not locate her foe.

She adjusted her sensors.  She was getting readings that were consistent with four active mech reactors to the north but she still could not see anything and radar was providing inconclusive returns.

"The enemy has some sort of stealth technology.  We move north and negate it."  Jenna pushed the throttle forward gradually.

None of her warriors fell with the shifting ground under them but the going was slower than she liked and her forces were more bunched up than she would have liked as the ground seemed to grow more stable in certain areas.

"Watch your spacing."  Jenna barked at her troops but it was too late.

Balls of fire erupted mostly among her Elementals.  Most of them did not have suits able to withstand fire.  She could feel that her mech had been caught in the blast effect enough that the heat spiked some in her mech.

In the darkening night there it was.  An Atlas.  She was a trueborn warrior and the simple tricks of the Atlas had no effect on her before.  But somehow now this one did fill her with a sense of dread.

Jerome and his survivng warriors jumped at the mech lighting off their SRMs, trying to get to the cockpit to deal with the warrior but the missiles seemed to hit a shimmering field around the mech doing no damage.

Before she could trigger her lasers the massive mech moved with swiftness and grace that few warriors, even exceptional trueborns like herself, could coax out of a mech and grabbed two suits of battlearmor out of the air and crushed them in it's giant hands.

Her lasers struck the mech, this time there was damage evident on the machine but as much as Jenna had expected.

The remainder of her Battlearmor was reporting enemy infantry moving in at impossible speeds and engaged with them now.

Flashes of weapons fire and explosions told her the rest of her mechs were engaging other enemies but she focused on the monster in front of her.

"Fate seems intent on making this a duel.  So be it Oakheart.  Just so you know the honor that is engaging in a circle of equals with a warrior of the ilClan I shall indulge fate."  Jenna fired her LRMs at the massive machine.

Suddenly she heard the groaning of metal followed by a sudden rush of cold night air enter her cockpit.  Before she could turn or draw her side arm she felt a pair of quick stabs into her arms before they became useless lumps of meat dangling at her sides.

"Normally yes Heinrich does let me control him from time to time but tonight was a special occasion.  I believe the fight is now over."  The form now in her cockpit said.

"I'm the distraction!"  A booming mechanical voice came from the Atlas as a lightning bolt streaked out from on of it's outstretched hands into a Battlearmor trooper still resisting.

Jenna was too focused on not letting her opponent have the satisfaction of knowing just how much pain she was now in as she was drug out from the cockpit of her mech.

Outside once on the ground she could hardly believe her eyes.

Rotting corpses, beings seemingly comprised of fire, skeletons, a giant white lizard like creature, and four nearly pristine Battlemechs all stood guard over her and the survivors of her forces.

"Welcome to Toreel.  I suspect you are not going to enjoy your stay."  Her captor said as she moved in into Jenna's view.

The black pools for eyes and the pronounced pointed ears immediately grabbed her attention.

Jenna wanted to throw up but without the proper use of her arms she had no choice but to force it down.

"Defeated so decisively... I was so close too...  I could have been the next Khan or even possibly ilKhan someday..."  Jenna was barely coherent.

"Those ambitions are at an end.  Now King Wellman will decide your fate."  The odd woman smiled in a way that Jenna did not like.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2022, 09:43:34 by monbvol »

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2022, 16:24:40 »
Jenna's not going to like a lot of what she finds on Toreel...  ^-^

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 27 May 2022, 20:02:37 »
Jenna's not going to like a lot of what she finds on Toreel...  ^-^
For second, i thought you called her Joanna.  ;D

Very different story from the original one. I like it so far.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 28 May 2022, 22:41:37 »
Seems like Daniel is now in a better position than Jenna.  Perhaps the duo will meet and decide to deal with the mutual threat first?

Of course, Kevin might let this happen just to see what they will do.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 31 May 2022, 17:24:55 »
[Author]  Now to reveal the next stage of my plan.  [/Author]

Throne Room
Wellman Castle
About an hour after the battle
Kevin's perspective

"She's a pretty one.  Can I have her?"  Selena circled the defeated trueborn.

"I have a better idea.  Bring Daniel here."  Kevin gave a wicked smile.

"I think I like where this is going."  Selena smiled then vanished.

"She'll just be a few moments."  Kevin's smile became even more sinister.

The light and crackle of the fireplaces were now almost overwhelming in the otherwise quiet castle.

Selena and Daniel seemed to suddenly wink into existence in the throne room and Jenna's state of shock was even more obvious.

"I have realized I can be somewhat forgiving of you Daniel.  You have made me realize I should have expected visitors from the Inner Sphere to either look for us or at least the wonders of the Star League that can be found in this nebula.  But the scope of what you represent and even those that came with you is still something I should have known and would have changed the nature of our relationship quite a bit.  So I still need to do something unkind to you or be set back in my plans quite significantly.  Jenna Carns.  You forced me to deploy more of my Royal Guards and use their most powerful abilities to deal with your mixed trinary.  Still the salvage this has afforded me makes me inclined to give you a slight break as well.  You wish to kill Daniel.  So I offer this bargain.  Become his lady wife and help him with his searches for the secrets of the Star League hidden on this world.  There are still many places he has not looked.  If you can uncover the secret or a being that can allow me to return to the Inner Sphere you may then kill Daniel.  Unless you become invested to him for some reason.  Until that point you may not kill him.  You may not through inaction allow him to die at someone else's hands.  If he dies due to accident or natural hazard, well failure to meet any of these conditions means I'll express my displeasure in a manner you will like even less.  Trust me when I say this is getting off lightly."  Kevin paced back and forth in front of his audience as he spoke.

Daniel looked at Jenna.  Kevin could see he understood why this would still be quite the punishment for him.

"It is an ill bargain but one I will tolerate until I can reach our Dropships.  They have enough firepower to destroy you from the air."  Jenna seemed to collect herself somewhat.

"They can try.  I do have a way or two to deal with them.  They can have a simple choice.  They can bring your jumpship crew with them, land, and join the colony at Stalingrad on their own or I will make them.  You've seen first hand what I can do."  Kevin locked eyes with Jenna.

"Oh this will be fun."  Selena walked up to Kevin and hung on his shoulder.

Jenna looked at Daniel.  The disgust overtaking her shock on her face.

"Well it will be interesting to see what your crews in orbit decide to do but down here it looks like we have a bargain."  Kevin smiled.

Guest Room
Wellman Castle
several hours later
Daniel's perspective

Everything was fairly normal and the ceremony a bit of a production but nothing unusual until the feast.  He did not drink that much but there was no doubt he had gotten nearly blackout drunk.

A groan and movement next to him brought some of it back as Jenna Carns stirred.

"By the founder...  We coupled."  Jenna groaned.

"Seems so."  The evidence certainly pointed towards it.

"When the time comes I will make sure your death is even more painful."  Jenna began looking for her clothes.

"At this point as screwed up as it is I might just welcome it.  To be honest I am surprised you took Kevin's deal at all."  Daniel found a pot of fresh coffee had been placed on the table in the next room.

"It is true I am considering not waiting but parts of his deal are not difficult to abide by.  I must be the one to kill you to have any hope of regaining my honor and standing after such a crushing defeat."  Jenna scowled at the wedding dress she had been forced to wear and would have to wear again.

"So why are you waiting?"  Daniel found a checklist of items they could request for breakfast.

"Kevin hinted at it being impossible to leave."  Jenna answered as she grabbed the list from Daniel.

"Which is something that he has no reason to lie about."  Daniel had wanted to deny it too but the jumpships that brought them here had found the truth out already.

He wanted to tell Jenna that but he knew with what he was to her she would be better off if she verified that through her own efforts.

"Plus now I must have my revenge on this Kevin too.  In becoming the ilClan we have learned that there are lessons to be taken in to defeat some opponents.  The power that Kevin commands is something conventional warfare seems unable to match.  So I must learn about it and then plot how to overcome it."  Jenna made her selections.

"Which is likely to come up during my searches."  Daniel nodded.

"So for now we have a truce abomination.  But there will be a day when I make good on my promise."  Jenna snapped back.

Daniel rolled his eyes.  He knew that living with his new wife was going to be a rather trying experience.

Kevin's private chambers
about the same time

Kevin lay in bed with his wife.  He grabbed a small device off his nightstand and started playing with it.

"What's that?"  Selena stirred to alertness.

"A clan contraceptive implant.  I wonder how long it'll take her to notice."  Kevin smiled.

"You are a cruel man Kevin Wellman.  Which is why I love you."  Selena smiled as she climbed on top of her husband.

"Yes but without that little potion you slipped them I doubt it is likely they would have ended up consumating the marriage as vigorously and publicly as they did."  Kevin smiled at his wife.

"A simple little thing really.  After all there is just enough of an element of anger and violence to redirect certain urges into something more fun."  Selena smiled back at her husband.

"We really are a pair aren't we?"  Kevin kissed his wife.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2022, 09:48:55 by monbvol »

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 31 May 2022, 20:35:41 »
I can only wonder why I thought Daniel was already married at this point...  ???

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Random Events [Nebula California]-Take 2
« Reply #48 on: 01 June 2022, 06:18:13 »
Just because they married, doesn't mean they had "Coupled".  Unless that was part of the "Bargin".
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Random Events [Nebula California]-Take 2
« Reply #49 on: 01 June 2022, 09:42:39 »
Just because they married, doesn't mean they had "Coupled".  Unless that was part of the "Bargin".

I was trying to keep it PG-13 there but yes I see I need to go back and add a line or two to make it a little more clear.  I also see another line in a previous post that thinking about it I need to change to make what I was going after work better.

I will be changing:
"I'm a Wizard!"  A booming mechanical voice came from the Atlas as a lightning bolt streaked out from on of it's outstretched hands into a Battlearmor trooper still resisting.

To:
"I'm the distraction!"  A booming mechanical voice came from the Atlas as a lightning bolt streaked out from on of it's outstretched hands into a Battlearmor trooper still resisting.

And I will be adding:
"Yes but without that little potion you slipped them I doubt it is likely they would have ended up consumating the marriage as vigorously and publicly as they did."  Kevin smiled at his wife.

"A simple little thing really.  After all there is just enough of an element of anger and violence to redirect certain urges into something more fun."  Selena smiled back at her husband.

"We really are a pair aren't we?"  Kevin kissed his wife.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2022, 09:49:12 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 01 June 2022, 17:47:45 »
[Author]  Now for the last bit of house keeping.  [/Author]

Airfield
Stalingrad
9 June 3153
noonish
Daniel's perspective

Daniel's head still ached from what must have been some of the strongest wine he'd ever drank.  His only consolation was his new 'wife' was no better and thus not making his hangover even worse.

In the field was another unwelcome surprise.  The survivors of the Clan Wolf Trinary.  One of which, an Elemental by the look of him, walked up to Daniel.

"I was instructed to give you this."  The man said gruffly as he handed a note to Daniel.

They're your problem now. -Kevin  Daniel groaned as his headache worsened upon reading the note.

"Okay I know you guys are a little more liberal on the whole Clan Honor thing but you know the position you're in now.  I'm the worst criminal here and the only crime I have committed is not being able to choose who my ancestors are.  The next most serious criminal here is Gilly.  She committed the great sin of keeping the planetary communication and entertainment nets operational.  Jack over there?  His dad swept the floor of the Terra HPG.  So get it in your heads your IlKhan wants a lot of people dead for really stupid reasons.  We're not a big settlement so you'll have to pitch in where you can.  Play nice and I'll at least let you reclaim some of your warrior pride by manning our guard posts in the trench lines and playing explorer.  There are hostile locals.  That should give you some incentive."  Daniel was starting to regret coming here.

"We still retain our ways.  We will comply with your terms.  As much as it pains us we have little choice.  At least for now."  The Elemental hid his anger well but not so much so that Daniel didn't catch it anyway.

"You're probably thinking your ships in orbit have figured out something has gone wrong and are putting together a plan.  They probably are.  Unfortunately unless I miss my guess they're probably deciding right about now that their best bet is leave you all here and jump back to Terra.  Then grab a Warship this time because not blasting us from orbit obviously didn't work out so well.  Two problems.  The first of which is that there is something about this nebula where once you jump into it you can't jump back out.  They'll find that out for themselves in about a month or so I'd wager before they give up and accept their lower castes are not lying or gone native on them.  The second is with the lack of HPGs out this way it doesn't even really matter that there is a blackout.  I imagine even if Alaric decides the mission failed it could well be years, possibly even decades before he can afford to indulge his obsession of wiping us out.  So yeah good odds that the political situation he's now in will not let him at all."  Daniel saw that the Elemental was taking in his words.

On some level he does know that what I say has at least an element of truth to it.  In a way I envy his resolve in holding out hope that I am wrong.  Daniel started walking to his quarters, the scowl from his wife behind him obvious to him even without having to look back and see it for himself.

As he entered the Dropship turned city center he saw the confused and agitated state of his people.

"Uggh.  I'd love to sleep off this hang over but seems I got one other order of business to attend to.  You.  Yeah you.  Get the others here as soon as possible.  Emergency meeting in 30 minutes."  Daniel wanted a shower first at least.

Thirty minutes later in the Council chamber

"First up, obviously Kevin's Royal Guards prevailed.  Yeah I'm still trying to come to grips with the nature of them too.  Second Kevin has decided that the survivors of the Wolf forces are our problem now.  I know this is going to be an issue for a lot of people but if everyone plays nice I've offered to let them take over guarding the trench lines and replace those who want out of the recon teams.  They're also to pitch in.  So try and work with your people to try and smooth things out."  Daniel looked around the room.

"It'll be tough but I think most of my people will be able to handle this without too much trouble."  Gavin nodded.

"It will be nice to have people who actually want to do the job."  Fezzik seems unusually chipper.

"What about their Dropships?"  Gilly asked nervously.

"Not equipped to strike us from orbit or we'd already be subject to such strikes.  Most likely they will try and run back to Alaric with their tail between their legs.  If they do decide to come down and play, well I suspect Kevin would welcome even more Clan tech salvage and has indicated he has a plan for such an eventuality."  Daniel answered.

The door opened and Jenna entered the chamber.

"Which brings us to the second order of business.  Since not all of you were invited or able to attend the wedding last night, this is my new wife Jenna Carns."  Daniel sighed.

"Yes, that was quite an event last night."  Fezzik smirked.

"Worry not.  As much as your leader and your colony are the primary motivation behind why we came here, those of us who survived the battle to regain our honor must first find a way to defeat this Kevin Wellman and the power he wields.  So for now you will be safe from us."  Jenna was still clearly quite grumpy but clearly doing her best to not let it show.

"Gilly how soon can we have a place ready for her and her people?"  Daniel hoped it would not be long.

"About a week." Gilly answered.

"A separate place for myself will not be needed.  As long as there is not a repeat of last night I can tolerate sharing a bed with my husband."  Jenna was red faced but spoke calmly.

Looks and light laughter broke out amongst the others.

"Ughh.  Fine.  Unless something comes up I'm sleeping off my hangover."  Daniel walked out of the chamber and down the hall to his room with Jenna behind him.

"You are surprised at my decision."  Jenna guessed Daniel's question before he asked it.

"Honestly yes.  Why?"  Daniel asked back.

"First it will make it easier to follow Kevin's directives.  Second I take my oaths and duties seriously.  As much as it pains me my proper place as your wife is with you.  But there is enough leeway in my duties that I do warn you not to even attempt to couple with me, nor expect me to initiate coupling.  I will find a way to make you pay for such actions within the bound of my oaths."  Jenna let more of her anger show.

Daniel just nodded.

She's trying to hold onto what little honor she has left.

The bed was suddenly more cramped with two of them.  It was only really meant for one person but it was on the large side.

"Seems for us to get some sleep I must permit physical contact."  Jenna grumbled.

Daniel adjusted his position as Jenna moved in closer to him.

"Then I cannot be held responsible for simple biological reactions."  Daniel said as he tried to go to sleep.

"Fine.  Until a larger bed can be arranged."  Jenna was now asleep.

Daniel knew she would still make him pay for the fact that his body would respond to the fact he was now in close physical proximity of an attractive young woman who was not wearing much right now but his own hangover made sleep come easier than he expected with having to adjust to having to share his bed with someone.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 01 June 2022, 18:30:51 »
A bigger bed shouldn't be THAT hard to arrange...  ::)

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 02 June 2022, 12:47:14 »
  A bigger bed shouldn't be THAT hard to arrange...  ::) 

Unless Kevin is setting things up so the larger bed breaks each time?

Selene might set things up so the duo have a merged dream where they couple over and over.  David and Jenna will soon realize they can use the lucid dreaming to continue discussing their plans.  If they can take some control over the dream to show the local environments, they can use it to show the local areas, the nearby towns, plans for the future, etc.

Let alone how angry Jenna will be once she realizes that her contraceptive implant has been removed, and realize that Kevin is the only one with the capability to do so.  Especially after David points out that she will have to abort the fetus or kill the child since technically it is the child of a criminal.  Perhaps Jenna will be able to warn the other Clan personnel that their implants have likely been removed too?

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 02 June 2022, 12:54:07 »
I'll put it this way out of story.

Getting a bigger bed in of itself will not be the problem.  The problem will be even as much as this used to be a Captain's cabin Daniel is sleeping in now it was not designed to accomodate a bigger bed.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #54 on: 02 June 2022, 14:28:57 »
Does anyone know where i can find that old fan art of Atlas with Wizard had and magic wand? I think that should be it's cover art for this story.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 02 June 2022, 18:14:46 »
I've had to report to more than one sea cabin in my career.  They were all big enough to accommodate a larger bed (if said bed wasn't supposed to fold into a functional "couch" (more bench seat, really)).

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 03 June 2022, 17:18:36 »
[Author]  To be honest I'm pretty sure I'm not on my original plan too much anymore but I don't see people complaining.  [/Author]

Daniel's quarters
Stalingrad
Toreel
Nebula California
10 June 3153
slightly before dawn
Jenna's perspective

Jenna stirred to alertness first.  She was on top of Daniel.  What she felt was in defiance of what she wanted to feel toward him.

Founder help me.  I should be burning with the need to defy my oaths and grab a pillow and smother the abomination in his sleep.  It'd be easy and perhaps worth my life.  But instead I desire a different interaction with him.

She shuddered at the thought.

Shaking it off she got up and got in the shower.

The cold water was a relief in the heat of what seemed to be the local summer as the Dropship turned civic center obviously had seen better days as it's air conditioning was not keeping up.

After cleaning herself she walked down to the kitchen.  The server there thankfully said nothing as they handed her a plate with a questionable looking meal on it.

The other inhabitants that still called the Dropship home as well that were in the mess hall all seemed to have locally produced foodstuffs.

"Ship rations.  I suppose I should not be surprised."  Jenna muttered as she poked at it with her plastic spork.

It was poor fare even by Clan standards but it was nutritious and satisfying enough that it would keep her going.

"Star Captain."  A deep voice brought Jenna's attention to her new table companion.

"Point Commander Gwain."  Jenna felt the sting of sitting across the senior most survivor of her Battle Armor element.

"I think we need to talk."  Gwain's voice was low and soft.

"Agreed."  Jenna finished her meal in a hurry.

She followed the Trueborn Elemental somewhere more private.

"That battle...  No it was no battle.  It was a slaughter.  I wish to blame you.  Founder help me I even wish to blame Alaric.  But no one could have foresaw what was awaiting us here.  The creatures here, the abilities we saw, it all defies what we know to be true about the universe."  Gwain shook his head.

"This world is strange and terrifying.  Part of me does wonder if bondsref would have been the better option but the alight possibility of redemption is enough.  The other part wonders just what this world is doing to me.  Founder help me I may be forever stained."  Jenna

"We were forced to watch what happened.  All of it.  In any other situation I think there would be much for you to answer for but yes this world, we all feel it.  There is indeed something at play here that none of us have ever experienced on any other world."  Gwain's tone and posture hinted at something more behind his words.

"And this Kevin Wellman seems to be at the center of it all.  I suspect he has done something to me in particular.  Yet I cannot forget the abomination either."  Jenna felt uncomfortable at the feeling ans sensations that flooded her body when she thought about him.

"Yes.  He must have drugged us all somehow.  As much as I wish to be angry at you and can be to an extent, it is like I am aware I should be angrier and more inclined to offer you death.  Instead I find your acceptance of your bargain a comforting reminder of the ideals the founder laid out before us and that we should do likewise so that we may have some hope at redemption."  Gwain nodded.

"That would explain why I nearly coupled with the abomination again this morning.  Which begs the question how long this will last?"  Jenna knew she let slip something she should not have almost immediately.

"This place is madness.  Such an admission should be driving me to snapping your neck here and now but instead I'm being flooded with thoughts of encouraging such acts as a way around your oaths."  Gwain shook his head.

"What do you mean?" Jenna perked up.

"Well some prefer rougher coupling.  A freeborn such as your husband would be more prone to injury than you would.  Perhaps even death if extreme enough."  Gwain seemed surprised at himself for answering the question so readily.

"That could be an effective last resort."  The twisted logic seemed too easy to grab onto for her.

I should not be thinking like this.  What ever Kevin did there must be a way to undo it.  If he could do it then it is likely that there are others who can do this as well.  Which means slim odds that this can be undone.

"The others, they realize this as well?"  Jenna broke the silence.

"Most yes."  Gwain answered.

"Okay good.  Then I trust you know what to tell them for what needs to be done then?"  Jenna nodded.

"Yes."  Gwain nodded.

Meanwhile at Wellman Castle

"This seems a bit riskier than usual for you Kevin."  Selena watched the projection with her husband.

"True but look at how gun ho they are.  They're motivated in a way Daniel's people never were.  Besides it will be a good way to uncover more of my rivals.  They should be looking to get their hooks into these people and Daniel's soon.  So odds are on our side that it will be worth it.  Besides with how frisky Trueborn Clanners can get and how easy it is to remove their contraceptive implants with Toreel magic without them noticing, I imagine many of the female survivors will be finding out they are going to be unfit for combat for a rather prolonged time."  Kevin kissed his wife's forehead.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 04 June 2022, 17:34:45 »
[Author]  To be honest I'm still a little undecided if the once was properly timed to be enough for Jenna to find out something is amiss with her implant or not but I think I've dwelled on that sort of stuff in story enough for now and think I've set the stage on Kevin's thinking in that regard well enough and to show how frightening and subtle magic can be in re-wiring values, though processes, and even redirecting urges.  Worst part is I can make it even more of a horror show if I really wanted to.  [/Author]

Daniel's office
Stalingrad
Toreel
Nebula California
10 June 3154
A bit after dawn
Daniel's perspective

Daniel wasn't surprised that he woke up alone given the relationship he had with his wife.

The only incidents regarding the former Wolf Warriors from yesterday were clearly instigated by his or Gavin's people but even then the restraint shown by their new additions was remarkable.  Which meant nothing serious had happened as yet thankfully.

Fully manned guard posts, exploration teams, and soon there would be more permanent housing to handle the extra population up by the end of the week.

With little to actually demand his attention this day he decided to address the one thing he could.  Getting a bigger bed would not be the problem and if it were not for the previous occupant of his cabin deciding they would rather have a zero g personal bar than some extra space he'd be set.

"We have a problem."  Gilly studied the intrusive design feature.

"Which is?"  Daniel rubbed his temples.

"Whoever put this in actually knew what they were doing and how to do it right."  Gilly answered.

"Which means they used correct securing techniques and materials that will make it a pain and a half to tear out."  Daniel was able to reason out.

"Yup.  Honestly it will be faster and easier for me to make you two your own place even with my work crews and material supplies as taxed as they are."  Gilly nodded.

"Figures.  So how long?"  Daniel kept rubbing his temples.

"Two weeks."  Gilly clasped Daniel's shoulder.

"Even a slow day on this world finds a way to make my life interesting.  I'm going down to the lab to see if I can figure out anything about the stuff our teams have been bringing back."  Daniel sighed.

Daniel walked down to the lower levels of the ship where they had setup their primitive lab to study the wonders the scout teams had started bringing back with more frequency.

The physics defying sword had been joined by a top hat that seemed able to change what you were wearing and looked like to others and an assortment of rings.  Some of which they had yet to figure out what they do.

Daniel picked up one of the rings and looked at it.  It seemed to be a simple iron band to him.  On the inside of the ring were inscriptions in a language no one in the settlement knew.

"Odds are you'll always be a mystery to us."  Daniel could still feel a sense of power coming from the ring.

Otherwise he'd probably have had it melted down for something more useful or let someone have it if they wanted it.

He set the ring down then grabbed the next one.  A simple gold ring with a modest ruby on it.

This one Daniel was beginning to think was just an ordinary ring.  It did not have the same sense of power about it as the others.

The last one was an obsidian ring with a jade and emerald inlay.  This one seemed different than the others.

Daniel wished they had more sophisticated equipment with them as it wasn't like they had a chance to raid a research lab or university before they came here.

"You seem promising."  Daniel began looking it over and grabbed a notebook.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2022, 09:31:35 by monbvol »

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 05 June 2022, 06:19:29 »
I'm just curious about how long it will take.  Here Jenna is in the year 3154:
Command Center
Dropship Kerensky's Vision
Toreel system
Nebula California
6 June 3154
Star Captain Jenna Carn's perspective

The recovered archive had hinted at this being a treasure trove of lost Star League relics.  But the world below them showed no signs of it.  Indeed the only signs of technology were faint readings of what were most likely active mech reactors on the surface.

Yet here the year is 3153:
[Author]  To be honest I'm still a little undecided if the once was properly timed to be enough for Jenna to find out something is amiss with her implant or not but I think I've dwelled on that sort of stuff in story enough for now and think I've set the stage on Kevin's thinking in that regard well enough and to show how frightening and subtle magic can be in re-wiring values, though processes, and even redirecting urges.  Worst part is I can make it even more of a horror show if I really wanted to.  [/Author]

Daniel's office
Stalingrad
Toreel
Nebula California
10 June 3153
A bit after dawn
Daniel's perspective

Of course, Jenna might not discover the issue with her lack of implant until she feels unwell one morning.  From there will be the interesting reaction by both Daniel and Jenna.  Jenna's reaction might be horror, while Daniel might be further rage at Kevin .

Kevin might want to hold back the 'pranks', as it is getting into the territory of abuse rather than humor.  Of course Selene might be the one who started with Kevin's jokes and is taking them further.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 05 June 2022, 10:16:18 »
I have developed a habit of using the top row of number keys because I've done most of my writing for this fic at work now and my workstation is a laptop without a number pad.  So yeah stupid typo there.

As far as Kevin and Selena, this is indeed less of a prank and more of a calculated strategic ploy.  They know the people with Daniel are not going to be inclined to help them out with abortions and for now the people with both the skill and desire to do so are on the Dropships and are still finding out about the effects of the nebula, thus rendering them unavailable.  I'll also let slip out of story that one of the things Kevin and Selena arranged for was the planting of a magical seed so to speak that when they do find out their maternal instincts will be turned up to 11, rendering it pretty much impossible for them to want to seek out an abortion or commit suicide.  This is to do a few things.  The foremost is to limit the number of trained and enthusiastic warriors that Kevin's newest vassals can potentially turn against him.  The other impacts Kevin and to an extent Selena are hoping for primarily revolve around they want Daniel and his group to do the heavy lifting for searching for the secrets of Toreel.  So as much as there will still be an element of them wanting revenge on Kevin and Selena, well to get that they have to do what Kevin wants and do the aforementioned heavy lifting on finding the secrets of Toreel.  And by having their implants, well he has something tied to them which will make it rather easy for him to Scry on them and since none of them even know what Scrying is, let alone that it even exists, it will be very difficult for them to find something and keep it hidden from Kevin.

Register