Register Register

Author Topic: Self Configuring Modular Robot.  (Read 17679 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Self Configuring Modular Robot.
« Reply #90 on: 20 May 2022, 15:42:47 »
Operating out of Harlington-Straker Studios?  :thumbsup:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #91 on: 20 May 2022, 17:30:22 »
HILARIOUS!  ;D

And yes, I'll be working up stats this weekend.  When exactly depends on my youngest, who I put in this category...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 21 May 2022, 03:23:50 »
"Huh...that's funny...

...if you play it on speakers, it sounds like when Arthur tried to teach his Arminus to speak."  Penny Doons observed.  Doctor Banzai cocked an eyebrow.

"Really?" he asked.

"Yeah." she said, "like the interlink frequencies're...it's the same." Penny stated.

"are you sure?"

"Pretty sure." she asserted.  "what is it though?? It's not like Lizzie's whale-song recordings."

---

"Tones sound like...huh.  Yeah, that sounds like Hermann before I fixed his code."  Elizabeth agreed, "Or like the solution we gave Arminius to do feedbacks so we could teach it new tricks without having to go inside the house to look at the screen."

"So it's the same code-base."

Lizzie shrugged, "I dunno, could be I guess?  The toys get smarter when we've got them together."

"What do you mean?"

===

Arthur shrugged, "It's like, we figured it out when Lizzie unpacked her Hermann and we tried to network them-they came on and they were already networked.  Both got easier to use and could do more stuff.  Sierra thinks maybe it's a factory setting-get more of them somewhere and you can get them to do more neat things, I wanna ask Dad to buy me a few more, but Lizzie thinks we should just figure out how to make them because 'gear is expensive' and Sierra thinks we can probably just steal 'em.  Terry and Jess think we should build 'em instead of asking for new ones, because if we break it we can fix it."

"And what do you want to do?"

"I want to have fun and I want my friends to get along." Arthur said, "Making sounds like more fun than buying does, but we're kinda split because Vonnie has a hard time keeping up and she wants to be in with us since Peter's got his thing and doesn't want the younger kids hanging around, and Vic's busy, and Kat gets mean..."

"UH, I need my own tools." Elizabeth said, "I mean, your stuff is nice, but it's your stuff, and all the controls are all wrong."

"Wrong how?"

"I have to stand on a crate to see the interface screens, there's a funny smell from the control boards, and I think it's out of adjustment.  Foreigner gear always has weird stuff it won't do, too."

"you're talking about the NC mill you were messing with in the 'mech bay." Dr. Banzai observed.

"Yeah, it's foreign, and it's weird, and you have half the functions locked out, and it's missing a lot of attachments and stuff." she asserted, "Grandfather would slap me if I left my tools looking that bad off, an' he'd be right doing it."

"Your..grandfather lets you play with industrial machinery?"

"With supervision!" she asserted, "it's family business, okay? we make machine tools, yours are in shit shape, half your bits are the wrong size on the cutter head, you don't have a powered forge, not even a cheapie hydraulic one, and your dies look like someone cleaned up one-use dies an' improvised...what?  if I'm going to be a star explorer I need to know how to fix my own kit, right?? so Grandfather makes me learn the skills, and the business is how we pay for it, so learn the business.  You guys do all your warrior-teaching-stuff with Peter, I know, because I saw!!"

"back to the question-you want to build a robot?"

"Sure. You played recordings of machine language, i'm bet it's the same language the factory used with Hermann, but since it changes over time an' use, it's changed.  Learned new words, right? so you need a translator so you know what the machines are being programmed to do."

"It's right there, Dad, that's the same system Arminius uses." Arthur asserted, "so..."

"So it's the same technology."

"yep."

"ANd you think they get 'smarter' if there are more in the network?"

"yep." Arthur nodded, "I think so, So does Penny, and Lizzie, and Sierra and..."

"So your friends...all think it's what, a network?"

"Jess told me about how hives of insects can work 'smarter' than individual bugs." Arthur suggested, "Which the teachers agreed with.  it's a Eusocial structure, or is it a social structure? point is, it's like how if you double the length, width, and height of an object you're multiplying the mass by itself a whole bunch of times instead of twice-the Square Cube law."

"how much smarter?"

"Hermann and Arminius both got a LOT smarter, Sierra and Terry both think like...processing power went up geometrically, if there's a LOT of machines, we might be able to get them to be as clever as a person."

"How many?"

"We don't know, that's why I want to try-the only way to know, is to find out."
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 21 May 2022, 05:44:09 »
I'll be over here in the corner, waiting for the Callison penny to drop...  ::)

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #94 on: 21 May 2022, 06:27:44 »
" I think I will sit over here and wat you kids an clean my old plasma rifle while ya'll play."

"When the machines start talking and acting up, I will take care of them for ya."
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 21 May 2022, 07:35:54 »
Adept Janelle Rhys...

...gaped openly at the ROM agent report from inside the Davion Household.  There are levels of access, there are proper ways to go about doing things.

Letting people who don't understand why something can't be done, (or shouldn't) free to do that thing was almost as horrifying as the profiles of the persons in question.

In the old days, Comstar ROM would handle a mess like this quietly-a lab accident, or a transport accident, something subtle.

but that was the old days, before the Great Houses started to get wise to careful deflections and deniable operations.  Worse still, the targets in question are still children, and their coming to harm would motivate someone far more than a remote academic, or a statistic.

especially in the care of a Royal House.

it will have to be done delicately. she decided, if it is to be done at all.

She tapped the ash from her Avalon Gold cigarette into a powered ash compactor on her desk.

"Adept! Glad I caught you."  The Precentor New Avalon was in her office doorway, apparently willingly, something unusual when dealing with the Station Chief for ROM on New Avalon (especially after a string of incidents less than ten years ago that got her previous superior removed from the posting.)

"Precentor, this is unexpected..."

"I received an eyes-only from the home office." the Precentor said with a smile that told Janelle her career was in serious jeapardy.

"Oh?"

"Yes. I'm to share it with you." he said, striding in, "Don't worry, nobody below our level has a clue what it says. I assume you have your security devices active?"

"Of course." okay, I'm not being removed.  she watched him close and seal the door before he laid the encrypted chit on her desk.

She took it up, and plugged it into a reader.

The first gigabyte of data was a litany of horrors.  The last bit, the bit that was why the whole thing was encrypted, contained instructions.

The Primus's instruction was blunt, to the point, and directed as much at ROM as it was directed at the Precentors in the First Circuit.

"You're smiling, why are you smiling?" she asked when she finished.

"Because your reports to my desk say the Davions may be working on just what we need to deal with this...and because you're supposed to support my effort to get them on-board in dealing with the Callison situation and this mechanical plague!"

"So...I don't have to arrange the termination of seven children?" she asked, "is that what you're saying?"

"very much, though I would like you to have arrangements made to...secure the children for the Order."

"Why me?"

"because anyone else I might send, would flinch." he said, "I'm going to offer Prince Davion Comstar's assistance with his little pre-academy program, you're going to be part of that assistance, and you're going to help them to succeed, and then, you're going to secure the whole thing for the Order.  He's growing the kind of genius that MUST be under the Order's control for the safety of the human race...or it must be destroyed. I'd favor it if you didn't have to kill them all, so you can work on black-bagging the little tykes and bringing them to Terra."

"As Blake wills it." she nodded.

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #96 on: 21 May 2022, 07:59:54 »
It seems no one at Hilton Head has read The Ransom of Red Chief.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 21 May 2022, 12:58:27 »
I'll be over here in the corner, waiting for the Callison penny to drop...  ::)
" I think I will sit over here and wat you kids an clean my old plasma rifle while ya'll play."

"When the machines start talking and acting up, I will take care of them for ya."
Well you two are brave to just sit there... me I'm going to go check the bunker just to make sure it is safe and well stocked with supplies
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 21 May 2022, 13:55:20 »
Here's the first of "Cannonshop's Kids":

Jesse "Jess" Harper (the "tough" kid)

Jess Harper's from Arluna, the son of a rock-miner in the Hill Country who got noticed for tinkering with a trashed motorized bicycle recovered from a landfill.

Not only was he smart enough to get the bike running again, he was strong and determined enough to fish it out of the landfill and get it home himself. He's not as tall as Arthur, but he's athletic enough to keep up now that he's getting enough good food regularly.  He had known his mother was forgoing her share, and always tried to give some back to her.  Some days he had more success than others.

Jess is middle of the pack in height (125cm), but built quite solidly for an eight year old (30kg).
Code: [Select]
STR 4
BOD 4
DEX 4
RFL 3
INT 7
WIL 4
CHA 4
EDG 1

Traits:
Fit: 200
Illiterate: Bought off for 100
Glass Jaw: Bought off for 300
Compulsion/Hatred of Clans: Bought off for 100 since they don't exist yet
In For Life: -300
Only 8 years old: baseline of 3,700 XP

Skills:
Technician/Mechanical: 4 (TN 4)
Perception: 3 (TN 3)
Language/Spanish: 2 (TN 5)
Language/English: 2 (TN 5)
Technician/Electronic: 2 (TN 6)
Running: 1 (TN 7)
Survival/Woods: 1 (TN 7)
Tracking/Wilds: 1 (TN 6)
Protocol/Lyran: 0 (TN 9)
Computers: 0 (TN 7)
Martial Arts: 0 (TN 8)
MedTech: 0 (TN 6)
Small Arms: 0 (TN 7)
Negotiation: 0 (TN 8)
Navigation/Ground: 0 (TN 6)
Melee Weapons: 0 (TN 7)
Streetwise/Lyran: 0 (TN 8)
Communications/Conventional: 0 (TN 6)
Swimming: 0 (TN 7)
Language/German: 0 (TN 7)
Appraisal: 0 (TN 7)
« Last Edit: 21 May 2022, 20:03:02 by Daryk »

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 21 May 2022, 19:07:39 »
My draft of Sierra is with Cannonshop for approval...  :)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 22 May 2022, 05:22:33 »
Sierra is approved (below)!  Vector checks on the rest are with Cannonshop... :)

Sierra Lowry (the "I'm NOT mean!" girl)

Sierra Lowry is from Filtvelt.  Her father died in the war, her mother too. She was a gift to the Orphan House-she figured out how to make the broken toys work, she watched the toddlers (She's EIGHT! she'll tell you), and she read books to try and make something of herself and stand out for better shares on Friday's desert.

Sierra got MIIO's attention when she picked a man's pocket in town, and stole his ground car.  She could JUST see over the dash if she sat on her left leg, and used a stick to push the brake and gas pedal.

She was tested by the police when they caught her, and the local constable contacted MIIO with the results.

She took extremely well to state sponsored counseling (such as it was) on Filtvelt, to the point she's actively Gregarious (aka, overcompensating).

STR 3
BOD 3
DEX 4
RFL 4
INT 7
WIL 7
CHA 4
EDG 2

Traits:
Gregarious: 100
Introvert: Bought off for 100
Compulsion/Traumatic Memories: Bought off for 100
Wealth: -100
Illiterate: -100, but bought off with language skill
In For Life: -300

Skills:
Language/English: 4 (TN: 3)
Perception: 3 (TN: 3)
Prestidigitation/Pick Pocket: 3 (TN: 4)
Security Systems/Mechanical: 3 (TN: 6)
Security Systems/Electronic: 3 (TN: 6)
Technician/Mechanical: 2 (TN: 6)
Technician/Electronic: 2 (TN: 6)
Leadership: 1 (TN: 6)
Language/Spanish: 1 (TN: 6)
Language/French: 0 (TN: 7)
Survival/Urban: 0 (TN: 9)
Administration: 0 (TN: 6)
Streetwise/Federated Suns: 0 (TN: 8)
Computers: 0 (TN: 7)
Driving/Ground: 0 (TN: 8)
Protocol/Federated Suns: 0 (TN: 8)
Stealth: 0 (TN: 7)
Interest/Economics: 0 (TN: 7)
Zero-G Operations: 0 (TN: 7)
Negotiation: 0 (TN: 8)
Art/Music: 0 (TN: 8)
Swimming: 0 (TN: 8)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 23 May 2022, 03:18:00 »
Penny:

Penelope Doons blew up her room and a couple of servants.  She did it with a home chemistry kit meant for someone twice her age and labeled 'safe for all ages'.  The company of course didn't account for children who like to watch things burn.

The purple wall of silence that appears when Nobles are bad parents?  Did not apply this time.  Permission from her Grandmother, Duchess Margaret Doons, took a short conversation with the Archon.  Unlike the others, this isn't a fosterage situation in the fullest sense, she's being 'loaned' to the royal family as a noble hostage and mark of fealty-with the stipulation that Maggie can, at any time, demand the girl be brought back to her.

Social Class has some importance, even if you're the smallest among Arthur's small circle of friends.

Penelope "Penny" Doons (the "(Fire is so) PRETTY!" girl)

STR 2
BOD 2
DEX 4
RFL 2
INT 7
WIL 4
CHA 7
EDG 1

Traits:
Wealth: 5 (the minimum for a Noble)
Attractive: 2
Equipped: 2 (she knows what to ask for)
Compulsion/Greedy: -1 (Donegaller)
Compulsion/Pyromania: -1 (undiagnosed, yet)
Enemy: -2 (servants blown up at home)
Glass Jaw: -3

Skills:
Science/Chemistry: 4 (TN: 4)
Demolitions: 3 (TN: 5)
Language/English: 2 (TN: 4)
Protocol/Lyran: 1 (TN: 7)
Interest/Colorful Reagents: 1 (TN: 6)
Language/German: 1 (TN: 5)
Computers: 0 (TN: 7)
Art/Singing: 0 (TN: 8)
Negotiation: 0 (TN: 7)
Appraisal: 0 (TN: 7)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 23 May 2022, 03:20:53 »
Terry:

Terry Warden was seven when he was last beaten.  His father's a Tech with the Syrtis Fusiliers, and he got noticed because he tore apart his father's expensive laser pistol, then put it back together in working condition... with twice the output and half the battery life.  This unwanted modification got him a beating that was witnessed and stopped by officers inspecting the Enlisted Housing.  Social Services were deployed, and lawyers, and a simple investigation showed the boy had a habit of taking things apart to see how they work, with maybe a fifty percent chance of putting them back together again-hence the beating.

Like most children from abusive homes, Terry is quiet.  But his sense of how things (especially weapons) work is nothing short of amazing.  He hasn't yet worked up the nerve to tell Sierra he can understand her swearing in Spanish when she gets frustrated, mostly because that involves the way his mother would talk to him when she was... yeah.  Besides, Sierra is so intimidating!

He also hasn't worked up the nerve to even speak to Dr. Banzai unless asked a direct question.  His collection of Buckaroo Banzai comic books is one of his most prized possessions, and he virtually worships the ground the good Doctor walks on.

One thing living on base gave the boy was good food, and plenty of it.  He's second only to Arthur in height at 135cm, but isn't as strong.  He learned from an early age not to fight back.

STR 3
BOD 4
DEX 4
RFL 4
INT 7
WIL 4
CHA 4
EDG 2

Traits:
Tech Empathy: 3
Compulsion/Hatred of Capellan Confederation: -1
In For Life: -3

Skills:
Technician/Weapons: 4 (TN: 4)
Language/English: 2 (TN: 5)
Interest/The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: 2 (TN: 5)
Technician/Electronic: 2 (TN: 6)
Language/Spanish: 2 (TN: 5)
Computers: 2 (TN: 5)
Perception: 1 (TN: 4)
Protocol/Federated Suns: 0 (TN: 9)
Career/Soldier: 0 (TN: 6)
Language/Russian: 0 (TN: 7)
Interest/Military History: 0 (TN: 7)
Interest/Federated Suns History: 0 (TN: 7)
Streetwise/Federated Suns: 0 (TN: 8)
Driving/Ground: 0 (TN: 8)
Stealth: 0 (TN: 7
Swimming: 0 (TN: 8)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 23 May 2022, 03:24:29 »
Elizabeth Ngo had already been noticed. It was an honour, and one that her parents didn't object to.  Little Lizzie taught "Hermann", a remote miniature 'mech, to speak almost well enough to fool an adult's ear, and she spends hours playing with the code.  She was seven when she left Kowloon, and made the most of the journey to New Avalon by making the JumpShip crew "show me how!" the whole way.  Given another three months, she would either have achieved Able Spacer or been shoved out the air lock (probably with a suit, but no guarantees).  She used her 'toy 'mech' as an extension of her hands playing out in the Folly, and it was the terror of the local wildlife... or maybe the girl was.

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Ngo (the "always right" girl)

STR 3
BOD 3
DEX 4
RFL 4
INT 7
WIL 4
CHA 4
EDG 1

Traits:
Fast Learner: 3
Wealth: 3 (minimum for White Collar)
Equipped: 1
Extra Income: 1
Enemy: -1 (a JumpShip XO who will NOT ship with her aboard again)
Compulsion/Hatred of Pirates: -1
In For Life: -3

Skills:
Science/Physics: 3 (TN: 5)
Language/English: 3 (TN: 4)
Computers: 3 (TN: 4)
Language/Vietnamese: 3 (TN: 4)
Negotiation: 2 (TN: 6)
Martial Arts: 2 (TN: 5)
Language/German: 2 (TN: 5)
Survival/Woods: 1 (TN: 8)
Interest/Interstellar Exploration: 1 (TN: 6)
Protocol/Lyran: 1 (TN: 8)
Zero-G Operations: 1 (TN: 6)
Appraisal: 1 (TN: 6)
Administration: 1 (TN: 6)
Communications/Conventional: 1 (TN: 5)
Swimming: 1 (TN: 7)
Art/Drawing: 0 (TN: 8)
Navigation/Space: 0 (TN: 6)
Navigation/K-F: 0 (TN: 6)
Technician/Electronic: 0 (TN: 8)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 23 May 2022, 08:41:41 »
Big, big thanks to Daryk for taking the time to stat out the Brat Pack for me.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 23 May 2022, 11:52:18 »
"Dad had to IMPORT friends for...

...you, Arthur!!" Peter sneered.  He's ten, almost in the right age group but not quite, and too young to have the tact a royal scion should have, especially when being disagreeable with his younger brother.  He's a middle child, and while he's more athletic than his younger (or older) brothers, he knows he's 'the spare' and deep inside, he feels inadequate.

This wasn't helped by his parents going to great lengths to bring playmates for his little brother.  Peter had tutors, and playdates with peers carefully supervised from the Royal Court's hangers-on.

"You maybe wanna re-phraze thet?"  came from just around the side of the tree in the garden.  "on 'counta yall's're bein' all rude an' stuff, ayeh?"  Jesse "Jess" Harper's not the biggest child, or the most well-fed.  He is, however, tougher than he looks at first glance, and fiercely loyal to his friend.

"I said, you're just a toy!" Peter sneered.

"I don't feel like a toy...Sierra, do you feel like a toy?"  Elizabeth seemed to materialize from one of the flowerbeds.

"Nawp." Sierra said, striding up with Penny Doons.  "Penny?"

"I think Peter better apologize for trying to make Arthur cry." Penny Doons said, "What do you think, Vonnie? are we toys? a little gadget to keep Arthur busy and minding??"

"Peter's bein' mean." Yvonne contributed, "I tink I should tell."

"No, no..." Elizabeth shook her head.  "Remember, Vonnie, Don't snitch, Snitches get Stitches."

"Guys!" Arthur held his hands up, "This is between me and Peter."

"One bean?" Penny prompted.

"Th' Whow Burrito.  Nobody messes with Art or Vonnie." Sierra agreed.

"Not a fair fight." Peter sulked.

"Oh?" Elizabeth pulled out a deck of cards, "we'll play fair." she assured him.  "one at a time."

"I gots firs' debs, aft'n Art."  Jess announced, "Terry, y'alls wants in?"

"I'm good." Terry said, "We shouldn't do this."

"Peter's tryin'a make Arthur cry. I think we should make Peter cry instead."  Elizabeth pronounced.

"Lizzie, I've got this." Arthur insisted.

She looked thoughtful, "You're right. He's your brother,  But he needs to apologize."

Peter was just beginning to learn tactics from Ardan Sortek, but that little bit of learning has taught him something about being one-on-five...that is, being surrounded sucks.

even when they're all smaller than you are.

"I..."

"Say it." Penny said.

"I'm sorry I said that." he stammered out.

"Too right you are." Penny told him,  "Arthur?"

"It's fine." Arthur said nervously, watching his friends not-relaxing their hostile stances, "Really, it's fine."

"You say so." Sierra commented.

"I do."

"Fair 'nough." Terry said, "Guys, let's go, Miss DuCain's class is in like, five minutes?" 

The younger kids looked thoughtful, then formed up around Arthur.

"Yeah, let's go..." Arthur urged, "I want to see what she's got for us today."

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #106 on: 23 May 2022, 12:10:15 »
Has Liz had her School Yard incident? or is it too early?
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 23 May 2022, 17:35:17 »
I think it's too early in this iteration, but don't get me wrong... she's BUILT for that incident...  8)

I hope to have time tonight to get to Arthur and Yvonne, but may not make it before bed time... we'll see... :)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #108 on: 23 May 2022, 19:14:19 »
Arthur has been submitted to Cannonshop for approval.. Yvonne will have to wait for tomorrow at least...  :)

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #109 on: 23 May 2022, 19:46:48 »
Has Liz had her School Yard incident? or is it too early?

Iirc, she was 8 when she made that bully eat gravel, so too early in this timeline, although Peter may stand in his stead in this story.

Time will tell.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #110 on: 23 May 2022, 20:22:07 »
 ;D  Liz taking down Peter  ;D
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #111 on: 24 May 2022, 12:00:32 »
It's called a...

..."Field Trip".  One might also give it the correct name.  "Months of travel by dropship along a circuit route".

The field trip began with a notice delivered to New Avalon.

Routing 24313418/c11423

Origin: Tharkad, Triad, Office of the Archon Katrina Steiner

To: Ngo, Elizabeth Anne
CC: Davion, Hanse, Steiner-Davion Melissa

RE: This notice is to inform you that your Grandfather, a personal supporter of mine for decades and a good man, has died.  Per his request, I have stepped in to assure that the provisions of his last will and testament be carried out.  Dinh was a loyal son of the Commonwealth, and suffered a lot protecting My late husband and myself during our period of exile prior to the replacement of my predecessor, He was a strong advocate for reform in the Commonwealth, and a strong, decent Ducal lord.

As per his request, specific portions of the will have been delayed until you can be in attendance, I have, however, taken specific steps to assure a continuity of governance, including releasing Leutnant Patrick Ngo from his enlistment contract early, and prorating his Academy time as time-served toward his national emergency duty, with the remainder being shifted to domestic issues in the Kowloon system.

You are still very young, Elizabeth, but there are duties that must be observed, even for a very young person in Fosterage.  To wit, as my subject, and a Baroness of the Realm, you are to report first to Tharkad, and swear your allegiance, following which, you are to continue on to your home system to observe and learn the processes of your inheritance.

To Hanse, my son in law:  I approved this fosterage situation, and would like to see it continued, but I understand if this presents some complications to your grand strategy.  I recommend you see this as an opportunity to further expand your educational efforts with your special group.  I suggest you enable this post-haste, if you do not, then I will assert my rights as Sovereign of the Lyran Commonwealth, and have Lady Ngo, Lady-in-waiting Doons, and the other students of Lyran origin escorted by military personnel.

Dinh was a personal friend, I owe his memory this much.

Katrina.

So, accompanied by Her Majesty Melissa Steiner-Davion, and with Victor on his way to the Nagelring for his freshman year, the kids, and their tutors, were loaded aboard a ship for a 'field trip' to Tharkad, followed by Kowloon, with some stops along the way.

Welcome to August, 3045.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #112 on: 24 May 2022, 12:17:40 »
There should be so many ways that will go well ... but just now not one comes to mind  ;D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #113 on: 24 May 2022, 16:32:08 »
As members of the Royal Security Protection Branch quickly if they are aware of the kids joining the cruise, to be under the weather before the ship leave New Avalon, and need to be replaced.

Will Liz get to complete her "able spacer" training?  Will they learn to plot tiny jump windows?

How many of these kids can hear the choir?

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #114 on: 24 May 2022, 18:17:45 »
Liz will almost certainly TRY to complete her Able Spacer certification... in the mean time, I need to get to posting Arthur, and submitting Yvonne to Cannonshop for approval...  ^-^

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 24 May 2022, 18:27:49 »
Arthur as approved by Cannonshop:

Arthur Steiner-Davion is the fourth child of Hanse and Melissa.  This brings with it many things, but the first is expectations.  His insight into and fascination with computers concerned his father to an unreasonable degree, prompting this entire experiment in social/academic engineering.  Even Hanse has caught himself wondering if it was something he should have done, even though he could.  At the very least, the friends his son is making are literally the best minds the Federated Commonwealth could find amongst the trillions.  The only thing scaring his father more at this point is what his security services DIDN'T find...

Arthur is the tallest of the group, having both genetics and a lifetime of literally perfect nutrition on his side (140 cm, 35 kg at 8 years of age).

Arthur Steiner-Davion (the "reason" kid)

STR 4
BOD 4
DEX 4
RFL 4
INT 7
WIL 4
CHA 4
EDG 0(!)

Traits:
Fast Learner: 3
Title: 3
Wealth: 2
Equipped: 1
Enemy: -2 (Peter?)
In For Life: -3 (Davion Family Values)

Skills:
Computers: 4 (TN: 4)
Language/English: 3 (TN: 4)
Perception: 2 (TN: 4)
Language/German: 2 (TN: 5)
Leadership: 1 (TN: 7)
Technician/Electronic: 1 (TN: 7)
Interest/Federated Suns History: 1 (TN: 6)
Protocol/Federated Suns: 1 (TN: 8)
Martial Arts: 0 (TN: 7)
Appraisal: 0 (TN: 7)
Art/Music: 0 (TN: 8)
Swimming: 0 (TN: 7)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 24 May 2022, 19:17:25 »
And Yvonne has been submitted for approval!  I had WAY more fun than I should have writing up that batch of characters!  :D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 24 May 2022, 19:26:35 »
Daryk thanks for the PC sheets for them

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 24 May 2022, 19:45:05 »
Entirely my pleasure!  If you need any characters generated, just let me know DOC!  :thumbsup:

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #119 on: 24 May 2022, 21:51:51 »
"In For Life: -3 (Davion Family Values)"

Oh, that would apply to any Successor Lord's scion. ;D ;D ;D
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command