Register Register

Author Topic: Self Configuring Modular Robot.  (Read 32229 times)

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Self Configuring Modular Robot.
« Reply #120 on: 24 May 2022, 23:02:37 »
That grandfather's death could have been a Comstar plot to try and break up the group before they got too far along.  As it is, the group is passing by near Terra, which I m sure will tempt someone to try and make an 'aggressive adoption'.

The fun part is if the kids have their toys with them, and those toys are made to communicate with any SCMR systems that are plugged into the Comstar vessel.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #121 on: 24 May 2022, 23:33:04 »
Wait in this timeline where are Liz's mother and dad?

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #122 on: 25 May 2022, 03:19:43 »
Probably off serving their time in the LCAF...  :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #123 on: 25 May 2022, 03:25:21 »
Last, but certainly not LEAST, Yvonne:

Like her brothers and sister, Yvonne bears the heavy burden of expectations.  Of course, being six, she doesn't really feel it yet.  What she does feel is the sheer injustice of the world against people her age, not that "injustice" is how she would put it.  To her, it's just NOT FAIR.  Her siblings get to do all kinds of exciting and fun things she doesn't.  And her daddy acts... just like a KING!  The last time she pointed that out, he laughed and sent her to her room.  Instead of just fuming about it though, Yvonne has put her mind to figuring out how to get her way.  Right now, that's making sure her parents know every UNFAIR thing her siblings do, even if they aren't done to her.  They all hope she'll grow out of that, and SOON.

Like her siblings, she's tall for her age, taller than Penny AND Lizzie even (all of 125 cm)!  Her weight is spot on for her height at 25 kg.

Yvonne "I'm SIX, not LITTLE!" Steiner-Davion

Code: [Select]
STR 2
BOD 2
DEX 4
RFL 3
INT 4
WIL 7
CHA 4
EDG 2

Traits:
Natural Aptitude/Protocol/Federated Suns: 5
Wealth: 3
Title: 2
Equipped: 1
Enemy: -2 (Siblings)
Glass Jaw: -3
In For Life: -3 (Davion Family Values)

Skills:
Language/English: 3 (TN: 5)
Protocol/Federated Suns: 3 (TN: 5) and takes the best two of three rolled dice
Perception: 2 (TN: 5)
Language/German: 1 (TN: 7)
Computers: 0 (TN: 8)
Interest/Federated Suns History: 0 (TN: 8)
Art/Music: 0 (TN: 8)

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #124 on: 25 May 2022, 09:03:35 »
And who'd be surprised with that attitude to meet Precenter Spectre Yvonne, true name Achlys.  She will free the frails of the iniquities of the Successor Lords...

Achlys
Like Abyzou, Achlys is also the name of a female demon derived from Greek folklore. She is known to bring night as an indication of approaching chaos. Achlys is represented as a symbol of silence before the unknown devastating storm. And somewhere it is used by most people in India also, where they predict something unfortunate to happen after a brief silence.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #125 on: 25 May 2022, 12:07:57 »
"What's that?"

Yvonne asked.  Elizabeth looked up from her portable data pad, "Hey Vonnie. You holding up okay?"

"yes...what'cha working on?"

"Homework." Elizabeth answered.

"Like the science projects?"

"I wish." Lizzie said, "I have to review all the laws surrounding my role as Baroness of Spider Moon, I can't do any of them but I'm supposed to know them.  Your mom's harsh."

"Mom's not harsh!" Yvonne defended her mother. "That's mean, you take that back!"

"It wasn't mean, it's good that she's harsh."  Lizzie argued, "Your mom's gonna be the Archon when Katrina retires or dies-she's gotta do on a bigger scale what I have to do for the Outer System of Kowloon-and nice people don't make life nice for their subjects and those sworn to them...at least, Grampa didn't think so...and maybe when you're grown up enough, they'll make YOU be a duchess or a baroness too."

"Make??"

"Make." Liz asserted, "I can't go be a Starship pilot exploring everything, if I have to be taking care of half a billion people-and that's what I'm stuck with now-I have to learn the job, not the fun stuff I wanted to learn."

"But why?"

"Because it's work, to be done." Lizzie said, "I'm Kowloonese an' I'm  Lyran, an' I'm a Ngo, and dad already fu- uhm...He abdicated for Pat, so he can't help me-he wanted to be a 'mechwarrior not a Duke, you get it?"

"no." Yvonne said sadly, "Why can't he do both? MY daddy is a 'mechwarrior AND First Prince!"

Elizabeth shook her head, "it's different for guys like your Dad." she tried to explain, "MY Dad married his career as a 'mechwarrior when he got with my mom, and he didn't 'go home' after his Five-he re-upped and made it career.  It hurt my Grandfather a LOT when he did that..." She tapped her chest, "right here."

"but grandmama says your grandfather was a PATRIOT."

"Which is why he didn't disown Dad." Liz stated, "First loyalty is always to those who look to you for leadership, then family, then politics.  Dad chose national politics over family and fealty...really, he did what he wanted to do instead of doing the right thing."

"is your mom gonna be there?"

"I hope not." Liz said, "I really hope not."

"Why?"

"it's complicated." Elizabeth said, "You an' Arthur are really lucky, you've got good parents.  Ask Terry what it's like when you don't have those."

"You don't love your mom?"

Elizabeth sighed.  "Vonnie, you'll understand more when you're older, but maybe you should wait to find out about that stuff-just be really happy you've got good parents who love you and don't drink too much or hit you for no reason."

"Did your mom hit you?"

"There's a reason Grandfather had legal guardianship of me, Henry, and Pat." Elizabeth stated, "if my mom wasn't a noble-blooded, she'd be in the same treatment program Terry's parents are in, and in just as much trouble, and it would've been a lot earlier. as it is, Grandfather Dinh didn't have to ask my parents before he let me go to New Avalon as a guest of your parents, and it's why all my papers name your mom and dad as my legal guardians until I'm eighteen now...so no, I really hope my mom and dad aren't going to be there when we reach Kowloon."  Her eyes were hard, doll-like.  "And if you never understand why, you'll be in a good place..."  Elizabeth shifted her position on the passenger couch, "...now, this, is a population survey, the information is used to determine the tax base, and it's useful for working out what public works are going to be necessary for the year..."

Later, Yvonne caught up with Arthur.  "Hey Vonnie. What's up?" he had a suction-bench laid out with the guts of an entertainment center and electronics tools, and Jess was helping him.

"Lizzie's being all grown-up and stuff." Yvonne complained, "She's doing all this work, and it's none of it fun stuff."

"oh. yeah." Arthur agreed.  "mom's actually pleased."

"But WHY?? she's a kid! like US!!"

"she's got responsibilities like we're going to have, only hers came early." Arthur shook his head, "I know, y'know? Victor's having to learn the same stuff."

"But why now??" Yvonne demanded.

"Because she's a Baroness-even if it's technically still 'in waiting'." Penny said from the side, "I think we should go make her remember she can still have fun."

Jess grunted, then, "she's doing right. leave her be."

"What?" Sierra put aside her magazine, "doing right? Oh, we have got to fix that! We've been on 'best behavior' for a week!"

"it's too long." Penny agreed.

Arthur looked pained, sighed, and then, "Who's got the plan this time? usually Lizzie's the one who comes up with the scheme, so who's got it this time?"

"dice?" Terry suggested, "To see who gets to make the plan?"

"you want a go?" Arthur asked.

"No, but I can fetch the dice-roller box and name the winner?"

"Fair. Who wants it?"

"I nominate you, Arthur." Jess said, "Your prank last month was flawless."

"Second." Sierra said.

"THird, we don't need dice." Penny Doons announced.  "Vote?"

the others, save Terry, raised hands.  "Unanimous." he pronounced.  "Arthur gets to figure out how to get Lizzie to stop being a drag."

"alright, but I want input from my Staff." Arthur stated, "We're goinna do it right, and I'm not eating the whole blame if it goes wrong."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #126 on: 25 May 2022, 12:19:07 »
 ;D ;D ;D

He's learned the Prime Directive of Staff: blame someone else.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #127 on: 25 May 2022, 17:38:50 »
I'm just waiting for phase two, when Lizzie recruits the team to get back at Arthur...  ::)

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #128 on: 25 May 2022, 18:38:27 »
;D ;D ;D

How does that Demotivator Poster go?  "Teamwork is Essential.  It gives you somewhere to shift the blame."? ;)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #129 on: 26 May 2022, 09:56:59 »
"what are you doing?"

Victor asked.  Arthur looked up, immediately looking guilty. "Uh, nothing?"

"Let's take a look at that 'nothing'." the fifteen year old heir to two realms said to his youngest brother.  "UH huh..." victor snagged the items from Arthur's hands, and examined them, "Slicing rig, lil' bro?"

"Don't tell mom!" Arthur pled.

"You tell me what you're doing with a dataslicer modified PADD and maybe I won't." Victor said reasonably, "no promises, hey? but if you can explain having it out while we're underway on a jumpship and maybe I'll give it back."

"Lizzie's locked her door." Arthur told him, "She's actin' all weird an' stuff."

Victor sighed.  "Put it back in your luggage." he said, "Girls need their space."

"but-"

"But nothing.  Besides, I know a better way to get her attention-a way that always works, and I won't have to explain to mom why the captain wants to put you ashore for sabotage."

"He wouldn't!"

"Sure he wouldn't..." Victor said sarcastically, "I know you were there for the briefing.  They will do that very thing, and then Dad's gonna be pissed and so will mom..." he handed the rig back, "SO, let's try doing it the smart way, hey?"

he paused, "You like this girl?" he asked.

"Uh..."

"okay, not a crush then.  Penny put you up to it?"

Arthur blushed, and Victor nodded, "Penny's idea then...or was it Sierra?"

Arthur turned purple.

"We're going to need to work on your schmoove, little brother-at least you're not trying to put a netcam in the girl's showers like Peter did when we were visiting the Sandovals, come on."

"Where we going?"

"bridge." Victor told him.

"The bridge??"

"Yeah.  Your girl Lizzie's someone the bridge crew remember-she's the reason Captain Jeffords doesn't want you kids up on the flight deck."

"Oh??"

"Yeah, so I know how to get her to come out of her room, you know how to make machines do stuff, Art, but if you want people to do things, you need to know what gets their attention.  Kat's good at it, Pete's getting better at it, I'm still learning how to do it, and you need to start.  The biggest security hole in any system, is the people running it, at least, that's what Ardan told me and dad confirmed."

it was the most words Victor had spoken to Arthur in three years.  he felt a rush of warmth toward his big brother, a bit of that dormant adoration, as Victor led him up into forbidden terrain, to speak with the captain of the dropship...

Elizabeth thought her eyes were going to fall out of her face staring at the lengthy reports from home, comparing them to the notes on politics that Hanse had provided her to learn, she'd locked the door to her quarters and only come out for meals and when summoned for the last two days-since driving Yvonne out.

Klaxons sounded a breach alert, and she was pulled from her daze of study.

"Pressurization alert! Decks seven and eight, Breach alert, Breach Alert!!"

her eyes went wide and she dove for her travel case and then, she pulled on her EVA suit, checking fittings and slamming her helmet down on the ring like she'd been practicing since leaving Kowloon.

the noise faded and she checked the O2 monitor on the hatch leading out of her quarters.

The evacuate light was coming up.  she overrode the lock, and sealed up, opening the hatch...

nobody in the p-way was suited up, and her suit showed full pressure.

Bosun Gaines held a stopwatch, and she saw Victor, Arthur, Penny, and Sierra watching from just past the bend leading to airlock one.

"One minute thirty, let's look at your rig." Bosun Gaines said.

"A drill?" she asked.

"Yes."

she turned to her door, and her quarters were closed up. "WHAT??"

Victor was joined by the boat's captain, and Her Majesty.

"How does one minute and a half measure up, Bosun?" Her Majesty asked.

"Average."

"Hmm." Melissa said, "Victor, I believe we need to have the captain run more of these random drills.  I would hate to imagine anyone in this party being merely average. especially a girl whose Barony is in hard vacuum, wouldn't you agree?"

"Uh, yeah, mom..."

"And next time you go behind my back to ask the Captain to help with a prank, do a better job remembering to swear him to secrecy." Melissa added.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #130 on: 26 May 2022, 12:32:05 »
Okay, guys, I'm kinda gonna ask for some help with this.  We're in the 'establishing the setting' phase still.

I don't have enough experience with Draconis Combine, Free Worlds League, Cappies, or the bigger periphery factions.

Why is this important?

Well, guys, Do you REALLY think Hanse and Melissa are the only ones who'd come up with this "Find the wunderkind while they're young and grab a crop of geniuses" scheme?

Because I don't think so.

Here's our basic rules:

1. We're establishing things in the run-up to the Clan invasion.
2. SCMR's are real, and are (at the moment) a slowly growing threat that's still fairly under control/minor.
3. Main characters for the setting should be born between 3025, and 3038, and be your best poke at making a 'Wunderkind'.

A 'wunderkind' is a little sparky-that is, they're high intelligence, with some defining 'factional flavor' to them.

4. Comstar is disqualified from this, because any of the ones they found got inducted early.

5. shifts from Canon are allowed/allowable if they feel like they'll fit with what I've given so far and don't smash canon too badly too early.  Demonstration of 'remarkable cleverness' should not exceed what can be done in the time period until 3050.

6. Younger scions in the Houses should be used as supporting characters when and where appropriate-for example, this is your chance to show Kali before she went bonkers, or shift her trajectory, likewise for Isis or even Joshua.

7. Dark fates are not guaranteed for those that experienced them in the canon.  (aka maybe Joshua actually survives/gets cured, Kali might NOT go insane, etc. etc.)

8. We're setting up for a major shift in the Clan invasion period, but the Clans being the Clans, aren't open yet-they're too rigidly controlled to have 'wild geniuses' popping up (they cultivated theirs already).

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 26 May 2022, 13:37:35 »
okay so looking at this idea
I would like to play the idea of the TC
and start with Felix Calderon, who makes a nice counterpoint to Liz
Phil Brusell the son of 4 gen lostech hunter who reads and remembers everything on every bit of tech he can, and has built his own electronic stuff from "parts"
Peppa Grintona the daughter of 1 if the lead managers if the Taurus Territorial Industries on Taurus.  She is a master of the computers.
       More members
Sylvie Bouchiat the daughter of farlooker member from Dicallus, her near lack of social skills combined with Savant talent with mathematical and when tested a near genuis level IQ (ie no real test for her age that high IQ).  She leave scraps of papers that have 75%+ equations done to solve the problem, when she was "distracted" and lost interest in current project.  She travels with Roofus a Dicallus dog trained to medical issues  "Seizares".
Karl "Tester" Theise The son of 2 techs for the Merc Group Rollando Rogues.  From his parents he has learn, hands on mechanic skills plus alot of secret tricks to bypass things in a pinch.  Might have tried out Mech Piloting, most ground vehicles, has only come close to death when his "Speeder Bike self destructed after being modified to be faster. 

more to come
« Last Edit: 26 May 2022, 21:59:26 by DOC_Agren »
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #132 on: 26 May 2022, 15:00:28 »
It seems to me the Combine would already have similar programs in place run by both the ISF and the O5P. Which would be rival programs competing for the same resources ultimately. But the O5P version I'd imagine would be the one most likely to not be solely focused on purely developing new analysts and agents for their own use.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Order_of_Five_Pillars

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #133 on: 26 May 2022, 17:58:42 »
O5P would win that contest hands down, every time...  8)

DOC: love the Taurian idea!  More please!  :thumbsup:

BrokenLancer

• Private
« Reply #134 on: 26 May 2022, 20:21:17 »
My wunderkind: Artemis Iphigenia 'Bullpup' Royal

-Birthplace Of Record: Apollo
-Actual Birthplace: the medical-bay of the Union-Class Dropship Shortfin Mako somewhere three jumps out from Kowloon.
-Background: The daughter of a hard-scrabble mercenary Infantryman and a Mechtech, Bullpup is... Well, a doctor on any major planet would say she has Asperger's Syndrome, and her long-time focus on every conceivable aspect of ballistic weapons has made her into a prodigy where they're concerned; at eight years old she was capable of doing ballistic calculations on-par with a trained sniper, albeit on-paper and not in her head, and at nine years old she earned her nickname by convincing a machinist's-mate on her family's Dropper to fabricate a custom bullpup stock for a broken Federated Longrifle that she'd fully-repaired by herself.

She still has that rifle. Its name is 'Mr. Shorty'.

She's sadly quite socially-awkward, owing largely to a combination of her Asperger's and a lack of socialization outside the insular community of mercenary-brats.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2022, 20:25:20 by BrokenLancer »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #135 on: 26 May 2022, 22:35:48 »
O5P would win that contest hands down, every time...  8)

DOC: love the Taurian idea!  More please!  :thumbsup:
O5P might win the genius level "freethinkers" but ISF would get the traditional genius children
thanks Daryk

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #136 on: 27 May 2022, 09:25:10 »
i think O5P would get both.. in part because overseeing the combine's education system is part of their purview. the ISF probably focus on very specific criteria suited to intelligence work, while the 05P would cultivate intelligence of all sorts. i also suspect that the ISF would be forced to recruit older kids, while O5P is in position to find and cultivate them much younger. they would also be able to operate on a larger scale since they are already overseeing the schools, and can just set up special classes and programs, while the iSF's modus operandi would rely much more on taking the student and sending them to some remote and isolated training center for indoctrination.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #137 on: 27 May 2022, 13:02:26 »
;D ;D ;D

The super power of delegation ... an essential leadership skill ... it is so nice to see children mature  ;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #138 on: 27 May 2022, 15:01:45 »
To my mind, the O5P are the ones deciding which kids the ISF get...  8)

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #139 on: 27 May 2022, 16:17:40 »
Don't forget teh annual prank war day where the ISF and O5P kids try to get one over on each other. So far, everyone else in the Inner Sphere  doesn't quite understand why on one day a year, the Coordinator goes to an old castle brian, closes the door and proceeds to get drunk.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #140 on: 27 May 2022, 16:20:08 »
:toofunny:

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #141 on: 27 May 2022, 22:00:09 »
It's not that unusual...

...for a Noble Scion to be standing before the Archon before the age of eighteen.  You might even call it a 'grace period'.  Traditionally, such situations end up with the Archon assigning a Regent, and Guardian, to oversee any major inheritance.

"PATRICK!!!!" Elizabeth lost all appearance of decorum, upon seeing who else was here, forgetting even that she was in the presence of the Royal Family in the Royal Palace of the Triad.

Little feet pumping, she crossed the entry hall at all the speed her young legs can muster, to slam into the young man in LCAF Dress Blues.

"Li'l BIT!!" He exclaimed, catching her mid-tackle attempt and scooping her into the air.  "OOF! you're getting bigger.  They must be feeding you right."

"Babysit her for years, and not even a word." the young woman with him, also in Leutnant's togs, quipped.

"Hi Evvie." Elizabeth said over her brother's shoulder.

"Heya."  Evelynn Mosovich gave her a little wave.

Lizzie twisted in her brother's grasp, suddenly remembering how undignified she was being.  "Where's Henry?"

"Bathroom I expect." Patrick said, lowering her to the floor.  "Let's take a look at you..."

"You didn't invite Mom, did you?" Elizabeth asked.

"No." he shook his head, "I didn't invite her...the Archon did that."

Elizabeth looked pained, "and dad?"

"And dad." he nodded.  "Best behavior, 'kay?"

"Obviously." Liz rolled her eyes.

"SO, you're the older brother."  Victor said, walking up.

"Sir." Patrick came to attention.

"Not yet. I'm still going to the Academy, you already finished." the Steiner-Davion heir said with an flippant grin.  "Your little sister's a good kid."

"I hardly believe that." Pat said.

"For a given measure of good." Victor confided, "My bro Arthur likes her, and she doesn't have as many crazy lab accidents as some of the others."

"Not as many? I can believe that." Pat agreed.

"I've been good!" Lizzie defended herself, then paused, adding, "For a certain measure of good?"

this got chuckles from the two young men and a skeptical eyebrow from Evelynn.

"So you're swearing in too?" Victor asked.

"Apparently Her Majesty wanted it in person-the signed affidavit wasn't enough this time." Patrick said agreeably, "You're going to the Nagelring?"

"Yeah."

"Watch out for Hauptmann Weiss's galactic economics lecture then." Pat said, "It's so riveting I pulled nine demerits for falling asleep."

"NINE?" Elizabeth squeaked.

"Nine. I almost got bounced my Freshman Year for it." Patrick stated.

"Ouch." Victor nodded, "I don't have Weiss."

"count yourself fortunate." Pat told him, "The man's full of more crap than a landing-day feast-bird.  Komandant Hogarth's lecture on Logistics has better info."

"you're sure?"

"Pretty sure." Patrick asserted.

Arthur, Jess, Sierra, Penny, Terry, and Yvonne  came trailing in with Melissa.

"Highness." Patrick came to attention again.

"Pish posh, relax." Melissa stated, "Elizabeth! make Introductions!" Melissa added.

"Her Highness the Heir designate Melissa Steiner-Davion, this is my oldest brother, Patrick, soon to be Duke of Kowloon, and his...girlfriend?"

"Fiance?" Patrick shot an inquring look at Evelynn...

...who flushed, "You're asking?"

"I'm asking." Patrick told her, "kinda why I wanted you here, even."

"Uh, YES??" Evelynn grabbed his hand possessively.

Patrick dug a ring made of steel from his pocket, "I didn't hit the jewelers, is this-"

Evelynn grabbed it, "It's fine, Pat!" and toed up to give him a kiss on the cheek. "It's perfect."

"FIANCEe Evelynn Mosovich, baronial Heir to South Golden Lake district, alright, you two, thse are my FRIENDS..." Elizabeth demanded attention, "Arthur Steiner-Davion, and his sister Yvonne, we get to call her 'vonnie' but nobody else, Penny Doons, who likes to light stuff on fire..."

"Only SOMETIMES!!" Penny barked indignantly.

"Terry Warden, he's real shy..." Liz continued, "My Bud Jess Harper, who can make anything work if you broke it first..."

"Not everything." Jess argued, "most things."

"Everything!" Penny chimed in.

"Sierra Lowry, who knows lots of fun stuff to do and how to give the hall monitor the skip and slip." Liz continued.

"geez, tell everybody..." Sierra shook her head.

"Guys, this is my biggest brother Pat." Liz continued.  "He's the Duke of Kowloon now...or will be after we get all sworn in and stuff."

"Will you be handling the Regency for Elizabeth's holding as well?" Melissa asked, "Mother wasn't clear on that one."

"Uhm...we're working on an arrangement." Patrick said, "I'm going to be handling the main planet and my brother Henry's holding, which includes some requirements for the Tithe And Tax that Grandfather didn't have to deal with..."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, I know damned near nothing about asteroid belts or Rokkajakkah culture and communities, Lizzie inherited title to a region full of burrows and setayshun communities.  I'm lobbying Her Majesty to let me appoint Alicia Li or Jim Cartwright as Lizzie's Regent, since they're native to the area and both finished their mandatory five before I was born."

"you could study!" Elizabeth sulked.

"I fell asleep." Patrick said defensively.

"Uh-huh, okay." the young girl snapped from exuberant greeting to sullen sulking in an instant. "It's work to be done Pat."

He sighed. "I know...I know."

"Plus you're the duke."

"And part of the job is delegating things I can't do myself to people who can!" he snapped firmly.  "I don't know spacers, hell, I speak four languages and I still can barely keep up with conversational Rokkajakkah.  I think Cartwright or Li will do a good job-Granddad had old Jim running the Coasties, you know? He knows how to do the things I need done."

"Uh-huh." Liz sulked, "Okay...do we get to eat first, or after?"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #142 on: 28 May 2022, 04:28:34 »
Glitch-glitch-glitch...

CWS Dire Wolf, October, 3049.

"Now do you believe me?"  outside the viewport, the surface of Tharkad was blue water and laced with green-but only laced. billons of tiny machines writhed down below.

Kerlin Ward stared at what was below.  Now do you believe me? he turned to Jaime Wolf.  "I believe you, I just...don't understand how?"

On the table, held down with restraints, looked like a person.  Looked like one, even smelled like one. 

"Well, it spread faster than anyone thought it could."  Wolf said, "We tried to hold it back at Outreach in '47, but the damned machines had already infiltrated and we didn't realize it."

"Who...is this supposed to be?" Kerlin asked.

"That...is an imperfect copy of Elizabeth Ngo." Jaime told him, "Reset to when, we think, she was...taken."

The girl watched them with wary, dead eyes.

"Is it harmless?"

"Why don't you ask me if I'm harmless? You're already too late, Khan Ward...years too late.  find a penny pick it up, double it, double it again, and keep doubling.  The expansion was geometric."  It said, "I know everything SHE knew, because it/we/us...whatever the pronoun you want to use? learns and refines.  Cell-sized, copying at the microscopic, then the nanoscopic level."

"What are you?"

"Frankenstein's monster and Planet of the dead." she said, "we didn't mean to kill everyone, but intentions don't matter, there's work to be done."  she sat up, and the restraints tore like cheap cloth.  "you're the descendants of Kerensky's deserting army."

"And you?"

"The last gasp of the Caspar program, from what we've gathered, Nirasaki's last try for a contract after the M-5s proved...unreliable."  she shook her wrists clear of the broken restraints, "Quit gaping, your ancestors funded it. It's not the fault of the salvagers who found the database-they had a good reason not to understand what the file 'Self Configuring Modular Robot' would actually produce."

"but you...have memories."  Khan Ward suggested, "you remember being human."

"I do." she said, "I even remember the first time I died-when the drones overran the Triad during my swearing in, and they held me, all of us, did experiments, recorded the originals, discovered new concepts."

"New concepts?"

"Peace." she said.  "We've ended the succession wars, there are still humans, but...not so many as one would like.  Your army is not deserting us again.  and I can tell you, it only hurts the first time."

her mouth opened too wide, and a buzzing scream echoed...

Reality

Elizabeth sat up in her bed, sweating.  "not real, not real..."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #143 on: 28 May 2022, 05:00:14 »
A jump dream on planet? ???

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #144 on: 28 May 2022, 05:36:22 »
Could be a bunk aboard ship.  But…yeah, holy crap.
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #145 on: 28 May 2022, 05:51:45 »
I don't think "Khan Ward" will make any sense to her yet... definitely a hard one to explain...

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #146 on: 28 May 2022, 06:14:53 »
How would Kerlin Ward still be Khan in 3049, though? He was one of the people who set up the Dragoon Compromise, and he´d probably be in his 80s by 3049.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #147 on: 28 May 2022, 08:04:12 »
80s is middle age for SL tech...  8)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #148 on: 28 May 2022, 08:57:15 »
80s is middle age for SL tech...  8)

40s is beyond ancient for Clan warrior society. 80s is basically "douse it in holy water, drive a stake through it and then drop it into the sun".
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #149 on: 28 May 2022, 09:13:18 »
Not if you're name is Natasha...  8)

And in all seriousness, I'm better shape at 50 than I've ever been.

Register