Register Register

Author Topic: Self Configuring Modular Robot.  (Read 17343 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Self Configuring Modular Robot.
« Reply #150 on: 28 May 2022, 21:17:40 »
"Bad dreams?...

...last night, Liz?"  Henry Ngo is the same age as Victor Steiner-Davion, and, right up until he came back from the bathroom last night, he'd been on a completely different course-Blackjack, not the Nagelring.

Last night, five minutes in the presence of the Royal Family has altered that course.

"Uhm...I had a nightmare."

"You used to find me or Pat when you had nightmares." Henry said.

"I'm..." Elizabeth mumbled, then grabbed a box of cereal and a decanter of milk.

"What's that?"

"I said I had...nightmares during the jumps here too." she told him, "This is the first time it's been in...like, reality-really asleep?"

"Look, lil'bit, there's probably a good reason, you've been under a lot of pressure, and traveling a lot for the family, and living with strangers for quite a while." Henry assured her.

"You get them too." she said.

"Shhh! nope, everything is copacetic in Henry-Ngo-Land." He assured her, "no weird nightmares about people I don't know if they exist doing things that I don't understand.  Not at all...and if you know what's good for you, you're the same, because you don't want to end up like Great-Aunty Mai."

"Right." Liz sighed.  "What do you do, if you can't talk about it??"

"I write stories and make art." Henry confided, "won two Junior Literature contests last year, remember?"

"Those weird horror stories??"

"The very same." He nodded, "and if the anxiety gets too bad, I go to the gym and work it out on the bags until my head's clear...IF I was having weird deja-vu and strange nightmares all the time...you know, 'hypothetically'."

"They changed your Academy." She said.

"Yeah, now instead of going to Blackjack where I can dress how I want, I gotta buy a Nagelring Dress-blues suit like Pat did...You're going to be fine, Lizzie."

"I hope so."
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #151 on: 28 May 2022, 22:08:24 »
Now I want to know what Henry dreams ago and how writing about it won him 2  two Junior Literature contests last year.   8)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #152 on: 29 May 2022, 00:52:44 »
Now I want to know what Henry dreams ago and how writing about it won him 2  two Junior Literature contests last year.   8)

[out of story] Because I can't write it in a way that would do it justice, Henry's "horror stories" that won him awards included:

1) Durch verratenes Blut or "By Blood Betrayed".

2)Das Ding, das verschlingt or "The Thing that Devours", which is set in an early 'boom' colony and follows the collapse of order as the colonists resort to cannibalism under the influence of an alien parasite and extreme isolation.  The reviewers praised his technical detail and the visceral nature of the writing itself, right down to using a known failed colonization attempt from the early years of the Protectorate of Donegal.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #153 on: 29 May 2022, 02:18:54 »
"I let you have two of mine for the last year...

...and I want my turn." Katrina explained.

"your...'turn'? is this a tit-for-tat or something?"  Hanse Davion scoffed.

"No, it's called 'you married my daughter', but my subjects aren't property, Hanse." Katrina explained,  "Having your 'genius group' kept mobile may also help with security, and motivate more time with my grandchildren." she folded her hands, "Also, I will point out, two of mine are Nobles, and one is now a seated Noble-with a regent-advisor, it's true, but seated nonetheless."

The Fox slowly chuckled, then raised his hands, "Throw me in thet thar briar patch-I agree, they should spend time, it will help weld the two nations together as a feature of the other exchange programs."

"In that case, I'll draft the orders." Katrina stated, "including the economic expansion package you've asked me for."  she smiled, "I originally set that up as the sweetener if you balked."

He laughed, "You're doing it anyway?"

"It makes sense. I have five grandchildren, I can't have half their inheritance and legacy being...poor now can I?"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #154 on: 29 May 2022, 03:10:38 »
"The house was our grandfather's retreat from his roles..."

...as Duke, and as chairman of Ngo Industries."  Duke Patrick explained.

"I'm a little concerned about the cliffs." Melissa commented, "but the view is, indeed spectacular."

"Well, it's remote, but close enough to the city for easy resupply, there's a private drop-port..."

"I don't recall rejecting the site, Patrick." she chided.  "How is security?"

"Well...it could be better, we're close to the peripheral edge here and there HAVE been pirate and bandit raids in the past. I intend to change that state of affairs, with your mother's approval, and as you're her heir..."

"Learning already."

"As my granddad said, and my sister keeps reminding me, there's work to be done, and it won't get any MORE done if I delay." He answered.  "The Ia Drang house is large enough to handle staff if we use the outbuildings, it's isolated enough to be easily secured with good sight-lines and the terrain is defensible...and it's far enough from the Capital that spies are not likely."

"Spies?"

"You're growing a think-tank. My sister's part of it, think-tanks draw spies the same way corporate R&D does." He clarified, "Presumably you and your husband aren't letting my sister play with dangerous substances and equipment on a lark?"

"Have you given some thought to cover stories?" Melissa asked.

"Yeah.  I'm going to convert the old Ducal residence in Nha Tranh into a university, and, with the help your Mother offered, we're going to set up a military prep school on Giap Island, with another one set up on the third moon-Lizzie's idea, not mine, but Her Majesty seemed to think it was a good idea to have more than one academy feeding the Naval branch as their primary focus."

"Wait...you're giving up the established ducal residence for a school, and this place for our project...where are you going?"

"I'm going to relocate to the Mosovich Ranch down by Golden Lake, it's fifteen minutes to Vinh Drinh Lap and a four hour drive to Hue at ninety KPH up highway 1, and we've got the facilities to use it there-your royal visits will have proper accommodations and everything.  For Daily Ducal business, I'll just have to commute, or use the planetary network and telepresence.  The civil government's pretty solid, so I don't actually expect to have to do a lot of 'running things directly'-granddad managed it system-wide, and if there's anything I really absorbed during my tour through the Nagelring, it's the importance of a competent staff...and that's also fifteen minutes by helicopter from where I'm hoping to set up the training ranges for the Regiment your Mother asked for."

« Last Edit: 29 May 2022, 12:50:16 by Cannonshop »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #155 on: 29 May 2022, 04:51:04 »
[out of story] Because I can't write it in a way that would do it justice, Henry's "horror stories" that won him awards included:

1) Durch verratenes Blut or "By Blood Betrayed".

2)Das Ding, das verschlingt or "The Thing that Devours", which is set in an early 'boom' colony and follows the collapse of order as the colonists resort to cannibalism under the influence of an alien parasite and extreme isolation.  The reviewers praised his technical detail and the visceral nature of the writing itself, right down to using a known failed colonization attempt from the early years of the Protectorate of Donegal.
Interesting..  and thanks
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #156 on: 29 May 2022, 05:48:43 »
LOVING Patrick and Henry!  :thumbsup:

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #157 on: 29 May 2022, 07:38:48 »
LOVING Patrick and Henry!  :thumbsup:

Patrick Henry?  One of the Founding Fathers of the US?  Was that intentional? 
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
« Reply #158 on: 29 May 2022, 11:01:21 »
Patrick Henry?  One of the Founding Fathers of the US?  Was that intentional?
I want to know why the excessive use of Bold... usually that's a dream state? (usually but this is a Ngo deal... who the hell knows?  ;D:popcorn:

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #159 on: 29 May 2022, 12:14:20 »
I want to know why the excessive use of Bold... usually that's a dream state? (usually but this is a Ngo deal... who the hell knows?  ;D:popcorn:

Since the very first part of each new post is in bold, my guess would be it is one of his few (and excusable) slip ups. Soon to be corrected, one hopes.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #160 on: 29 May 2022, 12:50:55 »

fixed.  (Missed tag.)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #161 on: 29 May 2022, 18:28:59 »
okay so looking at this idea
I would like to play the idea of the TC
and start with Felix Calderon, who makes a nice counterpoint to Liz
Phil Brusell the son of 4 gen lostech hunter who reads and remembers everything on every bit of tech he can, and has built his own electronic stuff from "parts"
Peppa Grintona the daughter of 1 if the lead managers if the Taurus Territorial Industries on Taurus.  She is a master of the computers.
       More members
Sylvie Bouchiat the daughter of farlooker member from Dicallus, her near lack of social skills combined with Savant talent with mathematical and when tested a near genuis level IQ (ie no real test for her age that high IQ).  She leave scraps of papers that have 75%+ equations done to solve the problem, when she was "distracted" and lost interest in current project.  She travels with Roofus a Dicallus dog trained to medical issues  "Seizures".
Karl "Tester" Theise The son of 2 techs for the Merc Group Rollando Rogues.  From his parents he has learn, hands on mechanic skills plus alot of secret tricks to bypass things in a pinch.  Might have tried out Mech Piloting, most ground vehicles, has only come close to death when his "Speeder Bike self destructed after being modified to be faster. 
Okay the TC wunderkids are ready to start work on "building up" the TC

We have a Tech Savant, a lostech expert with a eidetic memory, hands on tech builder, a computer expert and Felix Calderon.  We are going to go places no one been before...
« Last Edit: 29 May 2022, 19:47:35 by DOC_Agren »

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #162 on: 29 May 2022, 18:46:28 »
Nice, and all sound easily within the rules!  :thumbsup:

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 31 May 2022, 11:23:25 »
Word circulates...

...and so, Jaime Wolf took a trip.  "I heard a rumour that you're not renewing the contract on Kowloon, Green."

"That's a way to put it, I suppose."  Max Green was showing his age tonight. 

"A better offer?" the Dragoons leader asked.

Max shrugged. "The kid wants to put us on permanent retainer as cadre."

Jaime froze, "Isn't that usually something they tender to an open bid?"

Max shrugged, "Usually." he agreed amiably enough, though he kept staring into his beer.

"C-bill for the story?" Wolf prodded.

"Give it to you for free." Max told him, "it's the best contract offer I've seen in twenty years...but I have this gut feeling I should shake my head, and run as fast as possible for the Taurian border while I've still got a unit."

"Why in god's name would you do that? I know you, Max, you're ethical."

"Because a twenty year old kid wants put my unit on long-term retainer on the Lyran periphery border? It's a fantasy job and my gut is telling me to turn the contract down and run for it." Max looked up.  "You probably never had to deal with the temptation, your guys have always been the best.  I've been losing my best for a couple decades now, and now, I'm getting a Father Christmas offer from a Lyran world, and I should be bouncing off the goddam bulkheads and my little voice is insisting there's something fatally wrong."

"Huh...I'd love to see what they're offering." Jaime prodded.

"Long Term.  Full tech support, all we have to do, is play OpFor and do training cadre while he's raising his Militia Regiment, which we then become a key part of...and my gut is telling me scary shit, Wolf.  Something's up, nobody that small hires an outfit my size just to play drill instructor, and definitely not for what they're offering to pay."

"I'd say take it." Wolf confided, "Take the job, maybe see what shakes loose."

"You, my Exec, my ex-wife..." Green shrugged, "I probably will...but something is definitely wrong."

"If the money's too good..." Wolf suggested.

"...The client's bad with numbers." Green agreed.

"Take the job. maybe I'll hit you up for side-work if it's legitimate, hey?"

"You sponging off us, instead of the other way around?? I'll take that action." Green finally smiled.

"I'll do you one better, are you actually allowed to bring in subcontractors?" Jaime asked.

"Yeah." Green said, "Kinda why I'm on Outreach-I'm missing some vital parts-remember, you recalled two of my best Company Commanders when you were rebuilding after Misery."

"Ah...yeah. Tell you what, I can afford to slip you some contractors to beef your staff up, help you get this contract really rolling." Jaime told him, "Standard rates?"

"I can afford industry standard, not Wolf's Dragoons standard." Green said sadly.

"I may be able to accommodate that."

"You want eyes and ears out there." Green said.

"Yeah. Is that an issue?" Jaime asked.

"Not really. truth be told might be good to have some better intel in the process." Green told him, "And it helps to have backup."

"I hear that."

They shook on it.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #164 on: 31 May 2022, 20:21:47 »
Green getting the bad feels?  ???

I'm only surprised Jaime trying to talk him into the "good" deal didn't give him MORE heebie jeebies!  :o

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #165 on: 31 May 2022, 20:37:11 »
Green getting the bad feels?  ???

I'm only surprised Jaime trying to talk him into the "good" deal didn't give him MORE heebie jeebies!  :o
It would but I think Green knows that Jamie running intel ops too, just not for who.  After all he had some "ex-WD" who Jamie recalled to help rebuild WD.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #166 on: 31 May 2022, 20:58:05 »
This is Cannonshop's AU... thing work like HE thinks they do...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #167 on: 01 June 2022, 12:00:55 »
3047, Elizabeth Ngo is Ten, so is Arthur Steiner-Davion...

The Robot Plague has swallowed half a dozen more worlds near what had been the core of the Star League, destroying border systems in the Free Worlds League, Federated Commonwealth, and the very tip of the Draconis Combine.

Word of issues in the Capellan Confederation is sparse, but intelligence analysis shows that Romano Liao has begun pulling back from claims in the former Terran Hegemony.

There is a cancer growing in the Terran Corridor, and it's resistant to traditional means of combat.

Obedient to their orders, Jaime Wolf, and Natasha Kerensky have different interpretations of what to do.  Jaime's plan of gradual readiness and 'naturalistic' advancement no longer looks viable to the Black Widow, and this new threat, this silicon plague, well...

It may not be a traditional alien, but it fits the broad definition of 'An external threat' in Natasha's Warden mind.

She visited Tharkad, with the Black Widow Battalion, a data-core copy, and a pair of Warships.

She was not there to conquer.

"You are the Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth, which is a member state of the Star League.  You have also got an active claim to the First Lord's position."  Natasha said, "I have things you need to know."

While the children played in Arthur's Tharkad Apartments, now-coronated Archon Melissa Steiner-Davion sat in a secured room, just her, Natasha Kerensky, and a few thousand teraflops of data for twelve hours.

The end of that, saw the Archon step from the room, shaken and pale. 

"Call up the reserves, and I want a secure line to New Avalon." she ordered, her companion for that time stepped out second, but not so subtly as to avoid the Archon's eye.  "General Kerensky, report to Mount Asgard, get my gott-damned forces in order, and tell my beloved Aunt that she may retire."

"Yes, Your majesty."

Melissa turned to her diplomatic attache, "fetch these messages-" she flourished a stack of datachits-"to the Ambassadors from the Draconis Combine, Free Worlds League, Cappellan Confederation, and deliver copies unedited by hand to the Taurian concordat, Magistracy of Canopus, and Free Rasalhague.  THis is of utmost importance."

"Wait, you're sending a mercenary to take over Mount Asgard?"

"I'm sending a Mercenary to sort out the LCAF's High Command and brief them on an impending threat that endangers the entirety of the Lyran Commonwealth, and threatens the stability of every other nation in and around the Inner Sphere.  General Natasha Kerensky is to be observed, she is to be kept under Surveillance, her orders are to be carried out rapidly and intelligently until such time as I deem those orders counter to the survival of this realm, at which point, she is to be terminated, am I understood?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"good. off you go then.  Send the Director of the Office of Liaison, tell him I want Jaime Wolf in the throneroom by next tuesday, no later than Sixteen Hundred hours, and I don't care about how much it will cost, I also want my cousin Morgan Kell here at the same time, and see if you can find a way to drag anyone else with a major Regiment we can either contract, or have under contract, by that time."

"yes Your Majesty...why?"

"Because in two years, we're going to be invaded and if the projections are right, if we don't deal with a specific, present danger on our inner border? we'll want them to invade to save us all.  I do not want that eventuality to come true, so we're going to put together a response that works. and works in the present." she snapped.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #168 on: 01 June 2022, 12:59:32 »
The restored Star League recalls the Star League Defense Force in Exile?  To combat an existential threat to the League and Humanity?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #169 on: 01 June 2022, 13:58:13 »
"He told us to prepare them, well, turns out, we don't have...

...enough time to do it and be subtle."[/i]  Natasha Thundered. 

"where did you get these numbers?" Melissa asked.

"I got them from several sources-okay, Wolfnet got them from several sources, but the key ones came from Rhonda Snord and your husband's domestic intelligence section." the Black Widow admitted, "of course, he didn't get the real ones because between the source, and your husband, was Comstar, and they doctored it to look less pressing."

"WHAT??"

"MIIO screwed up, but MY agent didn't-we stole a copy of the report before it was edited by the mole-and you can say 'thank you Natasha for killing that prick who almost cost everyone everything ever' and I'll even be gracious."

"And that's the origin of your disagreement?"  Morgan asked.

"Not really.  Jaime's still looking for a less intrusive solution, the problem is, there isn't one, and there's not likely to BE one, there might've been one back in '41 or '42, definitely was one back in '33, before the ****** things figured out how to go dormant during a jump, you know, when the smallest ones were still the size of my hand instead of the size of a ****** grain of rice...and it's confirmed by other means, the Clans, the people who sent us are coming-Kerlin died, Ulric's good but he's up against a lot of factors in the homeworlds that were under control before those morons from Comstar stumbled onto the cluster."

"You cut off contact, how did you find out?"

"I still have friends, and orders or not, they still talk to me." she scowled, "SO! Here's the deal I gave the Archon; You need to re-form the Star League, you need to do it to save yourselves from the self-replicating robots and you need it to fight off the invading Crusaders...or at least to be strong enough that they can be forced to negotiate, you're not going to get there with subtlety anymore, because we don't have the time."

"How much time do we have?"  Hanse asked.

Natasha's scowl deepened, "Your boy Arthur's analysis says you have five years based on the variables my people slipped his little sibko of scientists."

"A what?"

"The gifted kids." Melissa stated, "One of my agents, there to protect them from one of ROM's people that got into our staff, slipped him the raw numbers data and a thought experiment, as an extra credit problem...and we've got five years, our analysts confirmed it after I had a look at the data he turned out.  Elizabeth's prediction is three years, I choose to be optimistic, because if it's three years we're all already ******."

"So it's true you assembled a think-tank this quickly?" While Takahashi wasn't enthusiastic about the potential for a summit, he sent his disappointing son Theodore to represent the Dragon.

"Yes." Melissa stated, "We did...Hanse did, I went along with it, now I'm glad we have."

"You didn't invite Comstar?"  Romano had been the doubtful one, but then, she'd come anyway.

"No." Melissa stated, "I didn't.  They're the ones who've been helping bury this and keep us distracted."

"You should have." the Celestial Wisdom commented.  "We initially thought it was YOUR weapon."

"It's not, it really isn't." Hanse noted.

"I gathered that or I would not be here...so, we have genetically altered, sculpted, obsessive warriors coming, likely through your front door, and a robot apocalypse on our back porch..." she glanced a hate-look at Candace, "and you want to form the Star League anew."

"That summarizes nicely..."

"shit.  I knew it was real." Arthur Steiner Davion glanced at Penny Doons.  "Five years?"

"She said Liz claimed it would take three." Sierra commented.

"Well...I have nightmares." Elizabeth shrugged as the pin-cameras tracked the adults in the 'secure' room.  "My numbers are maybe influenced by my jump-dreams, sorry guys."

"No problem.  Do we know what to do yet?" Arthur asked.

Liz spread her hands, "Not really?  if they're surviving jump space to spread then an EMP won't cleanse an infestation."

"Spores." Yvonne had found her 'niche'-while the others had only a passing interest in biology, she'd found it far more engaging than their mechanical, electronic, chemical and physics activities, and she had, by eight, gained her proper place as the gang's 'bio expert'.  "spores can survive where the plants and fungi they form can't.  it's why you can find the same mold on just about every planet human beings live on."

"huh." Liz frowned.  "yeah, that checks...so, if we can stop the spores, we can stop the growth?"

"Special Project time?" Terry asked.

"yeah, Terry, stick close, you too Jess, our Engineers need to spot our screw-ups.  Penny, you and Liz get on theorizing the materials science to make a self-replicating robot the size of a grain of rice that can handle EMP.  Sierra, you and I will get on just how compact the code needs to be to fit on it, and likely compression methods.  I'm thinking it's a heuristic learning algorithm, but it's got some core instruction sets.  We might be able to virus or hack it after an infestation's begun, or change the behaviors, Vonnie, you're our floater-figure out how lifeforms do it, and what kind of 'biology' these things might have, work with Jess and Terry on possible odd angles of attack, we need to be able to show the adults at least three possible solutions that can be at least started in Lizzie's time frame, and put your mind to thinking about how these things will counter our moves."

"okay!"

"We're superheroes, you know that right?" Terry observed.

"Only if we win.  points are for breakthroughs that lead somewhere.  Let's get to work." Arthur, too, has found his 'true' place in the group-and it was one his father might even approve of-the Leadership.

"Fizzies?" Liz asked.

"I'll call the kitchen and get us some." He promised, "And donuts? or do you want something healthier?"

"Donuts works, maybe those ijero filled crescent things from last sunday?"

"I'll put your order in separately. How do you eat those things?" he asked.

"I like them."

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #170 on: 01 June 2022, 16:09:58 »
Did Natasha go Rogue?

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #171 on: 01 June 2022, 16:16:37 »
Did Natasha go Rogue?

Kinda seems like it.  But in the Clan Homeworlds she outranked Jaime, so maybe she's following a rule to take charge.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #172 on: 01 June 2022, 16:59:08 »
Given the timeline she's throwing around?  Natasha is probably going to argue there wasn't time to report back and wait for instructions.  Really they needed to act sooner, but any delay at this point would just make the situation untenable.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #173 on: 01 June 2022, 17:44:29 »
"What're you working...

...on, guys?"  Katherine's in the doorway.  She's fit to pose in a fashion magazine, even dressed down. 

"busy." Arthur's got his nose buried in a desk full of monitors, chewing deep fried pork rinds with Jess.

"Mother wants you downstairs." Katherine tries again.

"busy, go away." Arthur doesn't even look up, "...see how the materials have to layer?"

"Ayeh. 'tain't mechanical, cain't be, them's gotta be depos'ted sommat othah way..."

"ARTHUR!!" Katherine's voice could pierce quartz, which gets a floppy object from the shadowed side of the room, and Yvonne's voice barking "Shut UP!  Where was I?"

"Third stage reaction."  Penny Doons' voice muttered, "Do you think it'll work?"

"Yvonne!" the oldest sister of the Steiner Davions growled and stalked forward, the focus of her attention being the source of the hurled textbook. "What do you think you're doing-"

"inorganic chemistry reactions mirroring life." Sierra materialized from her own pile of materials, "and we're working, you're interrupting."  The Filtvelter girl had gained a bit of mass on good food and court living, but not so much that it completely vanished her street-rat origin. "Also, you're interrupting Liz while she's working on an extreme theorem."

this made Katherine's nose twitch, and she caught the scent of...

"TOBACCO??"

"It helps me think, Arthur, P-mail incoming."

"Got it."

"Cool, I'm gonna take this outside, Terry, you wanna turn the fire alarm back on?"

"Sure Lizzie."

"Liz, when you get back, I need you to go over my behaviour modeling, something doesn't add up." Arthur added.

"Will do. how're we doing on the clock?" Liz asked.

"Worry about it after you've had your smoke, I need you focused." Arthur told her.

"Arthur, what the hell is going on?"

Arthur scowled, and spun in his chair, sneakers clear of the floor,  "Twenty planets so far, five realms we know about.  Thing they have in common?? some kind of mechanical infestation, it's evolving and replicating geometrically, I revisited my model and it's worse than Lizzie's. We're running the ****** out of time, it's all hands on deck, and Tell Mom I'm sorry but there's work to be done."

"what?"

"Okay, Yvonne, you want this one or are you still working on energy density with Sierra and Penny?"

"I can take it." Yvonne said, "Dumbing to blonde-speak.  Take a single cell organism, doubles every day it's in the lake, lake's half covered in this pondscum.  How long until it covers the lake?"

"I don't know, how long did it take to cover half the lake and how is this relevant??"

"One Day." Yvonne told her.  "It might've taken two months to cover half the lake, but by sunset the next day from when you're observing? it's going to have the whole lake.  That's Geometric growth in a population. Twenty worlds took a few years, but ours is evolving, it's getting tougher and surviving better, and it's mechanical, and so far as we know, it doesn't leave human beings alive.  Now, unless you understand what we're working on, you should go downstairs, and tell mom we're really very busy trying to save the world before we all become robot chow...and ask her to have the staff send up a leftovers plate and some fresh tea."

"Coffee!" Penny interjected.

"and coffee. Why else do you think Mom turned Natasha Kerensky into the General of the Armies and Dad's sitting in a room with Theodore Kurita and Romano Liao negotiating a settlement?" Arthur chirped from his station.  "It's real and really, really, really dangerous."

"We...we have scientists for that."

"Yeah, and those scientists have been tracking our IQ and educations since dad put this club together." Arthur told her, "We're the backup plan in case the nukes don't work."

"They won't work." Terry commented, "not completely."

"right. we're the backup plan, and we really need to keep working.  Ask mom if you think I'm lying, if I am, you can get some satisfaction watching the punishment." He was stone-faced, a look that shouldn't be on the face of a ten-year-old.

"you're impossible!" Katherine stormed out.

"terry, tell Lizzie she can come inside again."

"Right."

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #174 on: 01 June 2022, 18:54:02 »
RIGHT!  ;D

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #175 on: 01 June 2022, 20:37:59 »
Why do I get the feeling the subtext of Liz "needing a smoke to think" was "think of a reason I'm not making your sister eat the floor.  And I'm not coming up with much, Arthur."

And Arthur asking her to step outside to smoke was code for, "She's family, me and 'Vonnie will handle it."  And gave Liz an excuse to step out for the imminent family drama.  With "come back inside" Arthur saying, "we handled it."?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #176 on: 02 June 2022, 13:30:05 »
Why do I get the feeling the subtext of Liz "needing a smoke to think" was "think of a reason I'm not making your sister eat the floor.  And I'm not coming up with much, Arthur."

And Arthur asking her to step outside to smoke was code for, "She's family, me and 'Vonnie will handle it."  And gave Liz an excuse to step out for the imminent family drama.  With "come back inside" Arthur saying, "we handled it."?

is there a plus button

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #177 on: 02 June 2022, 13:37:04 »
"Dad, you know that thing...

...you didn't want me to think about?"  Arthur was clean, he'd dressed up in something other than tough denims, and his hair was combed.  Yvonne was wearing an actual dress instead of the durable play-clothes she'd taken to earlier this year, and she, too was scrubbed and clean.

the kids stood like a miniature of a Royal and Entourage, and they had, for the most part, dressed for the occasion in a way that reflected what Arthur and Yvonne were wearing, but with small individual details.

"Yeah?" Hanse nodded, "The Machine outbreak."

"We've learned some things." Arthur stated, "At least, we've got some..." he glanced over at Penelope 'Penny' Doons, whose sleeves didn't sport acid burns and soot today.

"Conjectures, Art. you PRACTICED this." Penny said with a huff.

"Right, Conjectures. we need a test." Arthur said it decisively. 

"You're ganging up on me." Hanse said.

"I brought my experts." Arthur told him, "It's risky so mom's gonna say 'no' and we think the answer needs to be 'yes'."

"You think I can override your mother?" Hanse shook his head, "I know you're smarter than that."

Arthur winced, "Not exactly, I figured you'd have a way to avoid the question and just get it done, dad.  It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

"What is your plan?" Hanse asked, "because it really, really isn't-that old saw is a long-standing lie heroes tell themselves in holodramas."

"Liz?" Arthur prodded.

Elizabeth Ngo pulled out a compact, and opened it, and her hair got less full, her skirts as well, and black motes flowed down to the floor, then coagulated and formed into a serpentine form.  "We know how the tech works, we think we might have a way to deal with it, Your Majesty." she said, as the coiled, serpentine thing slid up her leg to loop around her shoulders.

It looked almost alive.

"May I?"  Hanse stepped forward, and extended a hand.

Elizabeth took his hand, and the snake slid across the bridge formed.  "What does it do?" He asked.

"It hunts spores." she said,  "Yvonne figured out what the machines were doing.  The spores are inactive until they've been exposed to KF fields, the EM actually charges and activates them, and the waste infrared from a jump is absorbed, after that, they move and replicate...like a fungal lifeform or some of the lowest-level animal forms, as they grow and reproduce, they gain additional processing, getting cleverer through a heuristic algorithm. the crisis is because we're looking at...Yvonne, what did you call it?"

"Invasive Species." Yvonne announced, "The self-replicating robots are like an invasive species, no natural predators, so they consume their environment and keep reproducing, only shifting their behavior and structure to react to shortage in habitat or resources, and I think they've got a drive to reproduction like other lifeforms."

"So...you made a predator." Hanse observed.

"We made something to ACT as a predator, but we need to test it."  Arthur clarified, "It should evolve like the machines do, if we got it right, we need to test the conjecture before we can claim it's a Hy..hip...How do you say it?"

"Hypothesis."

"Yeah, that.  Danger is, if we got something wrong the killer robots will adapt, evolve." Arthur finished, "So it's risky, but while Lizzie owns a bunch of jumpships, we're still minors, need to have permission."

Hanse stiffly gave the robot snake back to Elizabeth.

"Taking the predator to the infection is safer than bringing a sample here, I take it?"

"Yah." Jess commented from the side of the group. "Lots safer."

"How many do you have?" He asked.

the kids exchanged looks.  "They're also von-neumann machines.  we can set them up to make as many as you need." Terry's almost-mutter would've been impossible to hear in a larger room.  Hanse heard him just fine.  "Just takes raw materials an' time."

"I'll...consider it." He promised.

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #178 on: 02 June 2022, 14:17:55 »
This could get spectacularly worse...

But what we didn't know is the kids have already been replaced by Replicator versions of themselves...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #179 on: 02 June 2022, 14:53:27 »
Robots feeding on robots.  Orion's arm had a few topics about this:
Autowar Seed
Botworld
Machinecology
Military Spore Technology

I wonder if the introduced snakes will attempt to make themselves appear electronically identical to the spores, as a form of camouflage?  This would let the Spore-eaters be able to consume more of the Spores before the local mind would realize that something is wrong.  The key would be to make sure the Spore-eaters don't confuse each other for prey.

Register