Register Register

Author Topic: Self Configuring Modular Robot.  (Read 19661 times)

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Self Configuring Modular Robot.
« Reply #390 on: 20 June 2022, 15:58:20 »
honestly the idea that all the inhabited systems in the IS aren't already heavily orbitally mapped and part of some database used by ship crews was always weird to me. it seems like a commonsense thing to do. i can only assume comstar had something to do with such efforts being prevented.

Or just keeping the databases in planet-bound servers, transmitting the coordinates for each Jumpship.  So instead of the Jumpships having to store all the data (which shouldn't be all that big), you have planetary computers crunching numbers 24/7 for systems within 30 light-years, and Jumpships receiving the coordinates before the Jumpships head off.  Military systems would be crunching numbers for systems 30-60 light-years away, to reflect Li-F battery capacity.

The first systems that receive the results would be large industrial centers/military bases, the second would be systems with obscenely long transit times, and from there the network would expand based on that nation's priorities.

As to the system paying for itself, the first time a Jumpship is able to safely jump PP-PP (turning a ~3 week transit into one taking only 2-3 days allowing that Dropship to make  faster turnaround for cargo) everyone will see the benefits.

It will also allow for short-range Dropships to be put back into service.  By short-range I mean Dropships that were planet-bound because their life-support systems wouldn't last more than a week without an overhaul.  With this setup those Dropships can still make a safe transit.

The next step is putting the largest Dropships onto the Jumpships, and using those large Dropships as cargo pods.  A Merchant with a pair of Mules can only transport ~16 kilotons through a jump, while that same Merchant with a pair of Mammoths can carry 80 kilotons through FTL.  If that Merchant is powerful enough to carry Behemoths, that jumps to almost 150 kilotons.  Once the Jumpship arrives in a target system, the local Dropships would swarm to it for cargo transfer purposes.  If needed, the extra cargo could be allowed to drift in space in giant beaconed nets until a Dropship can come by and pick it up.  (A further development would be jump-capable space stations that serve as little more than a basic cargo pod with station-keeping capability)

nocarename

• Private
« Reply #391 on: 20 June 2022, 17:21:48 »
Sun-Tzu is a busy guy. It's so much more time efficient if he can learn from what other people are up to, don't you see?

Mistakes, successes, it's all the same when it's someone else making them.

I'm actually waiting for him to just grab something and when someone other than his Mother complains about the source?

"And when they have a second good idea, I'll steal that too."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #392 on: 20 June 2022, 23:38:25 »
June, 3053, the Clan invasion, paused for over a year, has renewed.

This time there are significant differences.  Each of the remaining invading Clans has a unified supply structure overseen by officers drawn from the Golden Keshik-that is to say, warriors, of experience and somewhat advanced age for the Clans, who serve no single Clan, but instead the Grand Council and the ilKhan.

Neutral enforcers, one might hazard, whose sole job in this role, is to support the over-all strategy of ilKhan Ulric Kerensky.

The objective is codified by an ordnance approved by the Grand Council.  'The objective of Restoring the Star League, and enabling the return of the Clans to it, stands superior over the interests of any single Clan, Khan, or Warrior.  Actions counter to the success of Operation: Revival will be treated and tried as treason against the Star League, the Clans as a whole, with the punishment of Annihilation for the guilty.  This does not mean every defeat will be met with a trial for treason, but rather that any action taken, that stiffens enemy resistance, or fractures the Unity of the Clans in this endeavour, whether in the field, or in chambers, whether by action, inaction, active, or passive resistance, or the allowing of any feud to interfere with military operations will be treated as giving aid and comfort to the enemies of the Star League..."

It goes on for several pages like this, outlawing embargoes, defining mutiny, and providing a strict set of rules of engagement for resolving internal disputes that goes beyond the guidelines of Nicholas Kerensky's work.

In the end, what it amounts to, is a declaration of total war against the powers of the Inner Sphere, but it leaves an angle in there-for 'victory through diplomacy' and a requirement that no offensive be undertaken without sufficient logistical support.

It's revolutionary among the Clans, but old hat to anyone whom has studied the organizational doctrines underlying the SLDF.

The problem for the Inner Sphere, is that the Clans are no longer merely screaming and leaping.  They have a strategy now, and the logistics to carry it out.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #393 on: 21 June 2022, 03:33:08 »
And it's still vulnerable to commerce raiding...  8)

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #394 on: 21 June 2022, 09:37:06 »
Mahan would be proud.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #395 on: 21 June 2022, 10:10:33 »
"Liz, my brother might be a Genius, and my older brother might be the next Archon-Prince, but I...

...have an idea I want to run past you."  Peter Steiner-Davion stood in the doorway.

"Uh...Peter, we're working on something-"

"Hear me out.  The Clans."

"yeah?"

"They have an eighteen month long supply line." He said.

"True." she nodded, "everything we've learned since they halted, including testimony from General Kerensky and Colonel Wolf..."

"So, that stuff has to move by ship, right?" He asked.

"It does."

"And...if a ship is intercepted, it can't deliver materials." Peter added.

"Also true.  My brother's already gotten permission to build a special unit for the Navy to conduct commerce-interception and raiding, they've been working up for like, the last three years." she said.

Peter looked downcast, "Dammit, I thought it was a great idea."

"It is, Peter, it's common sense, however, the Clans have a Warship fleet-the same one that Aleksandr Kerensky ran off with after stealing it from the Star League with his mutineers and deserters.  We know they still have them because the Smoke Jaguars used them to plaster Turtle Bay, and we've got visual rec on a dozen other warships so far at various points during the invasion, especially once Focht overthrew Waterly and opened Comstar's archives on the Clans."  She looked up.  "your idea's sound, Peter. Just because someone else got there first, doesn't make it not a damned smart thing to think of on your own...oh, and Penny's still got a crush on you."

"What?"

she closed her eyes and leaned back, "I said, Penny Doons still thinks you're a hunk, Peter-she Like-likes you.  I swear Yvonne told you about that already at the christmas celebrations in the Triad."

He swallowed, suddenly distracted, "Really?"

Elizabeth sighed heavily, "Of course, she's still too young for you, but she won't be forever.  You might wanna consider that...so you approached ME with this idea why?"

"You're testing for your Guild Certification, I don't know who else I could talk to about it." he admitted.  "You know space..."

"You were looking to see if I could give you pointers so you can impress the old man?" she hinted.

"Yes."

"I think you're worrying too much about trying to stand out." Liz told him, "be yourself, believe it or not, that's actually more likely to win you points with your father than trying to be impressive, because you already are impressive...I mean, who else had the foresight to show up when Sierra almost got us in trouble with the Van in downtown last year? YOU knew enough to be there to smooth it over and keep it out of the press. You're not dumb, Peter, you're not a super-mechjockey like your brother, and you're not a nerd like we are-you're good at reading the groove of people-that's a kind of intelligence most of the Pack don't have, it's why Penny has a crush on you so bad she stumbles her words every time you show up in the clubhouse."

"I'm not sure that's really real." he said.

"It's real." She assured him.  "look, my advantage is that I can be blunt, because I have a time limit, I know when it ends, and I know how, so I can afford to be rude and direct-which lets me get away with shit I would be at sea with if I didn't have it.  Penny's crushing on you hard core, Peter-she has since we were eleven, if you were a douchey guy who takes advantage, I wouldn't tell you, but you're a good guy with chops everywhere except there."

"and what about you and Arthur?" he asked.

"Arthur will find a girl who will last and forget about me." Liz spoke as if explaining to a child, "I'm factory-defective goods and he deserves better, sooner or later he'll grow out of it and move on."

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #396 on: 21 June 2022, 10:28:16 »
"Arthur will find a girl who will last and forget about me." Liz spoke as if explaining to a child, "I'm factory-defective goods and he deserves better, sooner or later he'll grow out of it and move on."

Arthur doesn't want to make lemonade Liz.  He wants to get mad.  He wants to demand to see to life's manager...

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #397 on: 21 June 2022, 12:11:46 »
Arthur doesn't want to make lemonade Liz.  He wants to get mad.  He wants to demand to see to life's manager...

Make life rue the day it thought it could give Arthur Steiner-Davion lemons! Do you know who he is, life?

- Herb

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #398 on: 21 June 2022, 12:55:08 »
Elizabeth's little stimmie addiction...

...is enough to make her friends concerned-especially stacked with outright evidence of depression.  It's 3053, Liz, like Arthur, was born in 3037.

she was born toward the beginning of that year, and he was born late in that year.

a quick pass through the math processor says she's sixteen, and Arthur is still fifteen, but a comparative lifespan analysis, which Liz did when her diagnosis was completed, shows she's just shy of halfway through her predicted lifespan, while Arthur is just hitting into being almost-a-young-adult.

At some point, Elizabeth Ngo gave up on being a kid.

She works 20 hours a day on projects and programs, somehow cramming the limited administrative duties of her Barony in among it all, and sometimes she works late.

It's aging her.

She's using a mix of pharma to keep this up, and it's a mix that has to be carefully balanced lest she tip over on the sanity wagon.  The problem is, human beings aren't designed to pull 48 hours of intense mental activity continuously.

"She can't keep it up, we need to do something."  Yvonne observed one sleepy wednesday evening.

"Suggestions?" Arthur asked.

"I don't know.  we need to get her off the stimmies, that's for sure." Sierra said, "she's burning it at both ends with a blowtorch, can't your mom do something?"

"WHat, like ordering her to bed would even work?" Penny pointed out, "I  mean, it doesn't work on the rest of us why would it work on Liz?"

"point...okay, tomorrow's project, dig up everything you can find regarding addiction treatment methods and getting someone to clean up." he yawned, "hopefully Liz doesn't self-immolate before we have a plan."

"Do you still love 'er?" Terry asked.

Arthur frowned, "yeah."

"Then we gon' fix our math genius, ayeh, git yo' girl-fren' back."  Jesse announced.

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #399 on: 21 June 2022, 14:12:22 »
I love that buncha nerds with every post you provide us with a large bit more! Keep 'em coming Cannonshop!  :thumbsup:

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #400 on: 21 June 2022, 15:03:41 »
I love that buncha nerds with every post you provide us with a large bit more! Keep 'em coming Cannonshop!  :thumbsup:

Arthur needs people to invent the incendiary lemons for him to throw. ;D

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #401 on: 21 June 2022, 16:17:01 »
Arthur needs people to invent the incendiary lemons for him to throw. ;D
i'm sure Penny already has the needed formula's to convert any lemon into a hand grenade with the yield of a LRM warhead.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #402 on: 21 June 2022, 17:17:07 »
i'm sure Penny already has the needed formula's to convert any lemon into a hand grenade with the yield of a LRM warhead.

Lemon-Ranged Missiles?  :D
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #403 on: 21 June 2022, 19:02:52 »
*snip*
"Do you still love 'er?" Terry asked.

Arthur frowned, "yeah."

"Then we gon' fix our math genius, ayeh, git yo' girl-fren' back."  Jesse announced.
And that's why Jesse is awesome in his own right: see problem, FIX problem!  :thumbsup:

Also, please tell me they're still working on the CURE!  ::)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #404 on: 21 June 2022, 20:05:52 »
And that's why Jesse is awesome in his own right: see problem, FIX problem!  :thumbsup:

Have been since 3048, I'm guessing. They've been on the SCMR problem since 3043, and on that since 3048, unless my numbers are off. Miraculous breakthroughs in heretofore "impossible" sciences tends to take time, I'm guessing.

- Herb

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #405 on: 21 June 2022, 20:07:37 »
That makes sense, but doesn't stop me from wanting to hear abouth the progress (as slow as it may be...).

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #406 on: 21 June 2022, 20:34:25 »

Or Brain-scan upload?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #407 on: 22 June 2022, 09:19:54 »
The confrontation gained legs...

...when Kommandant Henry Ngo, recently recertified to return to active duty, loaned his weight to the proceedings by walking into Elizabeth's lab and stating, "It's three in the morning, Elizabeth!"

Right before Arthur was ready to begin the pitch for an intervention.

"I'm busy!" Liz scowled.

"no, you're sleep deprived and High as a kite.  It wasn't cool when MOM was doing it, it's sure as ****** not cool for YOU to be doing it...hi Art, you wanna give us a minute??"

"We're here for the same reason." Arthur's announcement lacked the hard edges of Henry's scolding.

somehow, that was worse.

"Oh..."

"Liz, you've got..." Arthur began.

"...a Problem." Yvonne pitched in, "and we're all..."

"...worried about you, and we're not going to..." Terry added.

"...stop worrying about what it's doing to you." Penny concluded.

"Is this-"

"This, is an intervention."  for once, Jesse managed to say it with clear pronunciation and to hold his accent down.

"We're all worried." Sierra delivered the conclusion, "So, we're going to confront you about it, and make you get help."

"it's seven to one, Lizzie, and only because Pat's on the boat back to Kowloon." Henry spoke up, "Do the odds."

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #408 on: 22 June 2022, 18:37:57 »
Henry FTW, but Jesse... WOW!  I daresay he hit even harder!  :o

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #409 on: 22 June 2022, 20:24:27 »
My bets is on Arthur. Hope he does not get blown up this time.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #410 on: 22 June 2022, 20:34:24 »
He's a very close third in my book... Jesse keeping his accent in check is WAY harder than Arthur simply speaking his feelings...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #411 on: 23 June 2022, 09:21:43 »
"Mẹ của chúa, họ thậm chí không bận tâm đến việc thay đổi mã phát tín hiệu."

Lt. Commander Bianh Vu Dao muttered in her native tongue. 

"What was that, mum?"  Her current XO was a strawberry-blonde from somewhere in the Skye region, one of the Felon recruits.

"SLS Sam Houston, Texas class...only they're calling it 'JFS White Aerie' on their audio broadcast and the paint."  Bianh scowled, "They didn't even bother to change the ****** carrier wave coding from the Amaris war.  That, right there, is a ship that mutinied and deserted with the bulk of the SLDF back in the 2780s.  It's stolen property...and I can't abide that, can you?"

"Not sure what you mean, mum."

"Our official writ from the Archon, is that we're to suppress banditry and piracy." Bianh stated, "Gunnery, load specialized antishipping loads, Helm I'm engaging commander's override, switch to your secondary monitoring, Arto, send to the rest of the patrol we've found a Warship running Heavy, to wit, I want Patrol three here with us, when we relieve these pirates of their stolen ride."

"Ayeh Mum.  We gonna let 'em have a chance to surrender, Mum?"

"I'm thinking... no." she said bluntly, "We're going to sneak up those con trai không cha của chó cái and forward their cases to a higher power immediately, at significantly lower cost to the taxpayer."

"Forward their case to higher?" the XO asked.

"We're going to introduce them to god, and he will judge the state of their souls." she said quietly.  "It is, after all, not my place to say whether they deserve heaven or hell.  deploy fighters on cold thrust, and prep relays sats, after which, rig for silent running."

"Ayeh mum..."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #412 on: 23 June 2022, 09:41:46 »
Convoy 11 was being escorted by...

a pair of Warships, and had a number of assault dropships mixed in.  This leg was in secured space-space secured by order of the ilKhan, and the duty was deadly dull on this leg of the eighteen month trip the convoy was slated to conduct.

The Carrack class transport ships that made up the core of the convoy could be termed warships in their own right.  The odds that the bandits that once claimed these systems would have anything to match them, was laughable, and the view held among the warriors commanding the escort force, was that their duty was pointless.

Of course, saying so was a quick way to find out how fast one can be relegated to Solahma Infantry, or worse.

The thermal blooms and emergence waves were faint enough to look like nothing so much as ripples in nature, and were therefore unremarked by officers whom had never actually had to put into practice the simulations they endured annually to get their positions and keep them in the mostly unused branch of the Touman.

Fighters still flew patrol, but it was routine, and enduring month after month of this routine left the warriors bored and inattentive.

It's a perfect mix, as ships with black jumpsails drifted to position, reefed sail, and opened hatches on missile tubes.

The Jade Falcons and Steel Vipers were about to learn that those convoy drills have a purpose...but only after.

Lyran Wolfpacks were about to demonstrate why supply convoys need alert, ready escorting forces...

mikecj

• Captain
« Reply #413 on: 23 June 2022, 13:35:03 »
I love the carrier wave coding comment.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #414 on: 23 June 2022, 13:45:33 »
"Two convoys from the Homeworlds...

...and no alert, no alarm.  We found the wreckage of the JFS White Aerie in a nearly uninhabited system along the route."

"and?"  Ulric asked.

"It was radioactive, gutted, with nuclear weapons, boarding teams found that the data center had been partially salvaged from the broken forward portion of the ship.  Estimated yeild for the strike was just under one megaton.  ilKhan, someone is hunting our ships with dezgra Nuclear wea-"

"you were going to say 'weapons of mass destruction'? what is the most effective antishipping weapon available to the traitor lords?" Ulric interrupted, "Let us see...is it nukes?" he glanced at Star Admiral McKenna, "is it?"

"Aff."

"And correct me if I am wrong, Warship duty is not one of my specialties, Lynn...but...do they not require a certain range to lock on, and are not the missiles capable of being intercepted, and do not the Aerofighter pilots of most clans drill on missile interception, quiaff?"

"Ah...WE do.  I can not speak for the other Clans." Lynn said, glancing pointedly at Khan Malthus of Jade Falcon. 

"So...nearly one megaton, which suggests..?"

"Nonstandard warheads." Lynn pointed out, "Standard SLDF antishipping ordnance runs from half  a kiloton to five hundred Kiloton yeilds, going over that is grossly overkill for anything short of a McKenna or the planned Leviathan classes."

"but you must get close to use them?"

"Not exactly." Lynn commented, "It helps, the laser fusing mechanism and deuterium fusion core tend to be inert, but for this kind of yeild, the risk of sensor distortion in the warhead guidance module would require insulations, that in turn, reduce accuracy.  Five hundred KT is about as large as you can build a laser-triggered fusion device before it starts losing efficiency. Primitive warheads using fission instead, or using fission triggers, would account for the damage Khan Malthus's presentation shows, and those OUGHT to be fired closer in, they will also need a heavy booster, to move and guide the mass."

"So...how are they getting close to our convoys then?" Ulric asked, "Where are they based, who is deploying them? how did they get the routes?"

"I have no idea."

"Get one. find their base, chase them down, destroy it." Ulric said, "Cheer up, Khan Lynn McKenna, I anticipated this, which is why you were added to the reserve clan list for the invasion.  secure our line of communication so that the ground forces of the invasion are not crippled by an enemy whom has rediscovered commerce raiding."

mikecj

• Captain
« Reply #415 on: 23 June 2022, 13:59:37 »
Funny how the Clans get all cranky when people use SLDF tactics against them...

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #416 on: 23 June 2022, 14:29:34 »
The Clans get all cranky when they stop curb-stomping the other side.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #417 on: 23 June 2022, 17:50:30 »
Of COURSE Sabaton has an appropriate track...   ::)

Aside from that, Vu Dao FTW!  8)

And yeah, my money is on her, not the clanners...  ;)

AND I do believe she just uttered a variation of "Gott mit uns"...   ^-^

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #418 on: 23 June 2022, 19:42:18 »
The get cranky when people don't want to play by their "Rules of War" which are all set so they have advantages

At least Ulric, is trying to respond to these raiders intelligently by siccing Snow Ravens on them.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #419 on: 24 June 2022, 13:50:43 »
To: Melissa Steiner-Davion, Archon of the Lyran...

...Commonwealth

From: Ulric Kerensky, ilKhan of the Star League Defense Force in Exile

RE: atrocities committed against Clan shipping.

I understand you have to resort to commerce raiding, however, we object to the use of thermonuclear weapons that leave radioactive fallout.  The technologies for Clean Fusion weapons have been a standard since long before the Amaris Coup.  You are using Heavy-element fission-triggered fusion devices.  Our concern is those potential 'missed shots' that may hit an inhabited planet.

Refrain from using such devices in the future, for the good of all mankind, and for your own good.

**************************************************************************************

To: Kerensky, Ulric, ilKhan of the Clans of Kerensky
From: Steiner-Davion, Melissa, Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth

RE: You didn't negotiate before you attacked us.

No.  You had your chance to set rules of engagement and offer a treaty in the spirit of the Ares Conventions, you chose to attack us, and to use a rolling blackout to conceal your identity, objectives, origin, even concealing your declaration of war.  When your officers HAVE contacted ours, they have insisted on 'rules of engagement' that were grossly in their own favour, and claimed our quite rational response to be 'dishonorable'.  Further, if you wish, I can account a full catalogue of atrocities, war crimes, and crimes against civilian populations by your comrades in arms as justification to not only continue the commerce-interdiction missions, but expand them.

OR...

you can try talking.  Thus far, I am unimpressed with either the sincerity, or integrity, of forces under your command.  You attacked us without even attempting negotiation.  perhaps next time, you might put some thought as to what the appropriate response is, when you sneak up on someone from behind and hit them over the head with a weapon, then cry about it when they turn around and start putting bullets in your gut.

Oh, and as for the claim of 'war crimes', no engagement utilizing antishipping nuclear warheads from our side, thus far has happened at a distance below 75,000 kilometers from the atmospheric interphase of an inhabited world.  This is quite unlike your colleagues in Clan Smoke Jaguar, who brought a warship into low orbit (Less than 120 kilometers from the inhabited surface) and engaged Naval-grade energy, ballistic, and missile weapons against an inhabited city that had already surrendered.  Maybe before you speak of the mote in our eyes, you should remove the beam from your own.

The interdiction operations will continue until such time as you are willing to engage in sincere, honest, honorable peace talks, you withdraw from Lyran Territory, or you are destroyed.  I personally prefer a negotiated settlement, as I find I do not wish to commit to a policy of genocide in the long term, but I will defend the Lyran People and my national territory with aggression, commitment, integrity and force.  Remove your invading armies from Lyran land.

Melissa Steiner-Davion,
Archon, Lyran Commonwealth.

*******************************************************************************************************

To: Steiner-Davion, Melissa, Archon, Lyran Commonwealth

RE: Let us reason together.

You want talks? I can talk.  we can talk.  we can establish rules of engagement and proper procedures.  I am willing to offer a Cease-Fire on the Lyran Commonwealth front in exchange for considerations.  Our Strategic Objectives are not even in your territory, you just happen to be in the way.  We can discuss this. Are you willing to do so?
Suspend your aggressive commerce raiding and we can arrange a location for a summit.

Ulric Kerensky
ilKhan, Clans of the Kerensky.

===========================================================================

To: Kerensky, Ulric, ilKhan of the Clans

From: Steiner-Davion, Melissa, Archon, Lyran Commonwealth.

RE: we will not suspend commerce raiding without a firm agreement that has some integrity and some collateral on your side.

I have had your system explained to me.  It strikes me that it is vanishingly unlikely that you can actually uphold any cease-fires, as your most likely replacement will immediately void any agreements upon removing you from power, which is the most likely outcome if we DO negotiate with you.  I am not my ancestors, I do not make treaties with the intention of violating them at the first convenient moment.

However, if you can establish a means of guaranteeing that your negotiation is in good faith, and that it will be honored in your unfortunate absence, we can discuss meeting to hammer out a negotiated settlement to this conflict.

Melissa Steiner-Davion
Archon, Lyran Commonwealth.

[att. 1; "THe Way of the Clans"]
[att. 2; "Remembrance of Clan Wolf" circa 2905 CE"]
[Att. 3: "General order 172 issued 4 August, 2776 by Aleksandr Kerensky, aka "The Elbar Declaration"]
***************************************************************************************

"Where did she get that!?"  Ulric was a little shocked.

"I presume Natasha supplied 'The way of the Clans' and the copy of the Remembrance." Conal Ward noted dryly.  "Not sure about that last one though, it is referenced, but only indirectly in the Founder's writings.  I passed it over to Elam, and he almost had kittens, wants the copy they scanned if they still have it."

"How many ships have we lost since this commerce raiding began?" Ulric asked.

"Total tonnage is into the tens of millions, including multiple warships of varying size, and their raiders are drawing closer to the Homeworlds."  Conal confessed.

"AND...we know what about them?"

"They are good.  survivors from Convoy 82 reported that the raiders used non-standard jump points and non-standard jump protocols after sinking the Blue Aerie and the Munin.  McKenna's people think they must have some advanced navigational systems in play."

The tally of Warships lost since last August was up to twelve, the losses in terms of Carracks, and standard jumpships were...higher.  Higher enough to require additional drafts from the Merchant castes of all the Clans, higher enough to draw complaints from the Free Guilds.

Higher enough, to endanger operations across every front.  "We need to buy time to remove those commerce raiders and rebuild our transport." Ulric muttered.

"Addressing the Grand Council then?"

"Aff.  we need a cease fire before we lose the ability to supply what we already hold."

Register