Register Register

Author Topic: out of story (Stories) discussion: sometimes I can't make it good.  (Read 1974 times)

Cannonshop

• Major
"Yanno what would be kewl!?  If we had zombies!!"

Okay, let's try that...ew. no.

"How about turning it into high fantasy instead of-"

sure, let's give it a shot...oh shit, instantly over my head, gawd, I have to re-create everything!  okay, how about something simpler, from something more...developed.

"HOWWLLL, yeah! let's try WEREWOLVES!!"

It went better than I deserve, except once I took that turn in, I found out;  I can't write werewolves to save my ass.  Shouldn't have taken that turn, the opening worked pretty well, honestly...but damn if I didn't start seeing how much the time I spent playing White Wolf had already influenced my previous Battletech fiction.

at least I didn't try Vampires.  Sorry ladies, I can't make 'em sparkle.

(badump-thump!!)

So... I tried mixing Werewolf into Battletech, and screwed it up.  Honestly kind of surprised at how good the responses were, since it was totally crackfic.

like a hangover without the high.

I'm not sure if anything I did on that one has 'legs' but if it does, it's got better ones in someone else's hands. 

so...there's that.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
Re: out of story (Stories) discussion: sometimes I can't make it good.
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2020, 15:36:15 »
Doing the Were's was interesting.

But have you thought of using R. Scott's way of doing the Horror entities. Never show the Horror, have it off screen such that you hear it, the victim sees it, but the audience never does. Like done in the Original Alien,
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2020, 15:55:41 »
The Love, Death & Robots on Netflix had an interesting take on Werewolves in the military in one episode
The below link leads to a wiki page created by Wrangler.  It has links to the various pages of my AU.
https://battletechfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_Timeline_with_Thanks
For those looking for everything online I've also got them on the OurBattleTech website
https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?board=76.0
As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2020, 16:03:52 »
Cannonshop, the thing is you're a good writer, and your stories entertain. More than that, you're giving us new views and new elements in a genre background we're familiar with - the 'shock of the new' is in itself a powerful contributor to the impact of your work.

So keep telling the stories you want to tell, and don't worry when a story hits the stops.  No-one can ever accuse you of doing a "GoT 7th Season" to your work. As long as you're having fun writing, I can guarantee we'll keep enjoying reading your stories.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2020, 16:12:53 »
Dunno if this means anything to you, but your "crap fanfic" is better than a lot of the official BT line books.

vianca

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2020, 16:23:52 »
And remember, sometimes the most unlikely crossovers can work the best.
I know that there is a cross out there, with Frozen...and it hits all the points, just right, from both sides.

My brother is currently reading a book serie about vampires.
Turned out to be Sci-fi, because it was a erroring nano-plague.
It's often all about finding the way you can mesh things together.
I'm pretty sure you where missing that, with that story.
Find the way to mesh magic with sci-fi, even if it means removing the magic and making it sci-fi, as well.

And if not, well, we're ALL only human, right?

Now, what do Voltron (the last anime), Zoids & Power Rangers have in commen(?) with Battletech?

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2020, 16:56:36 »
I feel like your stories aren't adding new faces.

I don't know when it changed but I don't remember seeing new characters for a while.

And I wonder if that is contributing to you feeling like you are out of stories.

Would character prompts help you reestablish your equlibrium?

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2020, 17:06:58 »
Cannonshop, if you had made Liz a sparkling Vamp...  I would have had to put her and you down myself...   8)

Your stories are to me fill a void, and keep me interested in the Setting, like a few others here do..  Dragon Cat, much like there are Non Canon units that keep me interested.  I don't have a regular group anymore.. so this is my lifeline to CBT the stories.

And I enjoy more the fanfic then the official stuff Jihad kickoff..
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2020, 20:52:05 »
I liked the Werewolf stuff.

vianca

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2020, 01:19:40 »
I feel like your stories aren't adding new faces.

I don't know when it changed but I don't remember seeing new characters for a while.

And I wonder if that is contributing to you feeling like you are out of stories.

Would character prompts help you reestablish your equlibrium?
Don't really like all that NGo stuff, to be honest.
Too much the same.

Perhaps leaving that part of space?

Like, what if a Merc crew made up of ex-RWR & SLDF folks, had Mercury & Dragoon mechs?
What if they also had a Prometheus copy from before Kerensky started deleting things?
And then noticed Comstar it's Holly Scroud effect (partly because they still have a mobile HPG).

No support, not enough money and can't let anybody know or they all jump your group.
How would that effect things?

Hell, try to put Mulan (that Disney Cartoon), into Battletech.
Or think Johnny Thunder (Lego), Indiana Jones, Larra Croft & those Mummy folks as a couple of competing treasure hunters, that really hate Comstar and it's ROM.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2020, 16:54:43 »
DOC_Argen thanks I write personally to help me unwind and for others to enjoy so I appreciate you enjoy it

Cannonshop you write some of the best I've read on the forums even if I'm not a fan of all of it.  As long as you have fun with it there's nothing wrong with trying something I've lost track of the stories I've started then driven into a black hole of the story and got stuck or lost interest.

I've gone back to stories months or years later and either tried to finish it or started from scratch give it time inspiration might strike at a weird time
« Last Edit: 12 September 2020, 17:03:53 by Dragon Cat »
The below link leads to a wiki page created by Wrangler.  It has links to the various pages of my AU.
https://battletechfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_Timeline_with_Thanks
For those looking for everything online I've also got them on the OurBattleTech website
https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?board=76.0
As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2020, 06:36:09 »
Cannonshop, write when you feel like it.  We have been enjoying the rush of stories, but if the rush is burning you out, feel free to take a break and recover.

I've gone back to stories months or years later and either tried to finish it or started from scratch give it time inspiration might strike at a weird time

My stunt has been to gather notes for various story ideas and put them together in a folder.  I have over a half dozen story ideas, and only writing one of them right now (non-BT, sorry).  But for the others I still gather ideas every now and then, sending them off to the correct folder.  I may start writing those, I may not.

Register