Register Register

Author Topic: Stefan Amaris, Saviour of the Star League (Snippet)  (Read 1362 times)

Starfox5

• Corporal
    • My Fanfictions
Stefan Amaris, Saviour of the Star League (Snippet)
« on: 08 September 2020, 14:09:22 »
Stefan Amaris, Saviour of the Star League

"Stefan Amaris is commonly credited with saving the Star League from the greatest threat to its existence. By and large, that is justified. While there have been scholars claiming that even if he hadn't exposed the coup by the Rim World Army mere minutes before the coup, the loyal forces of the SLDF on Terra and inside the Hegemony would have been able to defeat them anyway, they commonly assume that the Black Watch would have managed to get First Lord Richard Cameron to safety anyway - or, at the very least, prevent the control codes for the SDS systems from falling into rebel hands. That is, however, a bold assumption. Richard Cameron has stated several times that he would have rather died than handing over the codes, but who knew how he would have acted if faced with the threat of his family being killed? Or Stefan Amaris, who was, according to the First Lord's own recollection, 'the father he never had'?

But even discounting the military question, the vast majority of scholars credit Stefan Amaris as the original impetus of the reforms that stabilised the Star League and ended further rebellions. Indeed, without his passionate plea to show mercy and make peace with the Periphery as well as end the unequal taxation and occupation of the Periphery, it would have been more than likely that Richard Cameron would have ordered the SLDF to crush all Periphery realms with utmost brutality. It remains a testimony to Amaris's strength of character that he, even as he was dying in his quarters, shot by putschists trying to secure him, managed to impress upon the First Lord the need to fight for peace, not vengeance. No one who has ever seen the recording of the most famous holocall in the Star League's history could doubt that Stefan Amaris had wanted the best for humanity.

Richard Cameron himself credited the man with the reforms and cited the man's passion and selflessness as the example that gave him the moral fortitude to implement the reforms despite strong resistance from all House Lords. Many scholars also agree that if not for the death of Amaris, and the First Lord's obvious determination to see his friend's last wish fulfilled, a number of House Lords might have been tempted to test his resolve.

But no one wanted to serve as an outlet for the First Lord's anger - especially given Amaris hadn't pleaded for them, only for the civilian population, and that the real mastermind behind the coup had never been found.

This, indeed, remains the biggest mystery of the Rim World Coup: Who had planned and organised it? Who had managed to subvert the Rim World Army so thoroughly, most of its highest officers thought they were acting on the orders of Amaris himself? One theory, which only grew in popularity after Richard Cameron's death, was that Amaris had been suffering from a rare case of multiple personality disorder and had actually been plotting against himself for years. However, contrary to popular belief, such a mental disease would have been spotted years ago if it affected anyone who had such frequent and close contact with the First Lord, and none of the records and tests conducted in the years leading to the coup found any sign of such a disorder. Amaris himself didn't know the identity of the mastermind behind the coup, as evidenced by his plea to the Black Watch and SLDF Royal Command to not trust anyone from the Rim World Army, not even Amaris's own family. Subsequently, evidence of his children's involvement in the coup proved his warnings true.

As a result, speculation about the identity of the real culprit is still running rampant. Archon Robert Steiner was, due to Amaris's last words, one of the main suspects but was cleared after an extensive investigation conducted at cannon point by the SLDF. Despite all efforts, no one ever found out who Amaris was talking about when he whispered: 'Damn you Rob!' with his last breath."

- Excerpt from 'A critical look at the Rim World Republic Coup' by Cadet Karl-Herbert Speer, Nagelring, Tharkad, 3025

« Last Edit: 08 September 2020, 16:34:46 by Starfox5 »

Ttw1

• Private
TAGed
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2020, 15:23:43 »
TAGed
The Mother Doctrine was good. Change My Mind.

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
Re: Stefan Amaris, Saviour of the Star League (Snippet)
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2020, 15:58:42 »
Despite all efforts, no one ever found out who Amaris was talking about when he whispered: “Damn you Rob!” with his last breath.”
:toofunny:

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2020, 16:01:42 »
It's a great idea.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

croaker

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2020, 16:02:50 »
Almost as good as the one posted last month.... I think it was Consequences, wasn't it?

Hanse: "I give you... The Capellan Confederation!"

Max: "... damnit, I was going to give her that! Now what do I do?"

Adventwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2020, 19:00:16 »
So a ROB threw a poor bastard into Stefan shorty before the coup and with no real time to stop it and they got screwed. Yeah I would curse that ROB as well as I layed dying.
Fun quest that need more people:

Skywalker For Senator (Star Wars) - Q, Star Wars: Beyond the Republic, We Stand Against the Stars (Gundam/Macross) Crossover, Mobile Suit Gundam: Divided Federation (Civ Quest), The Lords of Ruin -- Battletech/Killzone Crossover, Star War Moff Quest: Lost in Space

Kujo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2020, 19:49:11 »
Lucky for Amaris he only had to deal with 'Rob', what if 'John Smith' was there with a certain ghost of Davion and his Ancestor John (a squeal or satire "John and John with the Ghost of Hanse... >:D).  Ok, enough of mixing stories, the snippet is quite nice, thank you!
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2020, 21:28:38 »
So a ROB threw a poor bastard into Stefan shorty before the coup and with no real time to stop it and they got screwed. Yeah I would curse that ROB as well as I layed dying.

That being said, he did far, far better than most SI's.  Simon working for genuine peace might give the Star League the time it needs to be fixed.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2020, 01:23:21 »
Interesting. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

vianca

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2020, 11:55:35 »
Want to laugh?
Hanse Davion dies from a heart attack (canon) Battletech.
He wakes up in this universe, woken by his girlfriend (the death one).

That already would give a WTF, then he learns more.

scienefictionfan

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2020, 19:55:18 »
I love this snippet and only regret it wasn't longer. That said if I was a SLDF investigator after the fact and accepted that Stefan Amaris wasn't involved in planning the coup attempt my biggest suspect after I exclude Robert Steiner due to what Stefan said would be the Combine since its no secret that they were chafing under the Star Leagues restrictions.

Its actually canon that their plan when they joined the Star League was to build up their military under the Star League until they could either hold off the SLDF or take control of the Star League itself. They chose this plan after they narrowly rejected trying to fight off the SLDF before the Reunification War having recognized it was suicide thanks to Sirirwan Kurita being smarter then her generals and the ranking coordinator.

Unfortunately for them while they were able to secretly build up more then the forces they were allowed under the Accords they didn't have the forces to take on the SLDF and so settled to wait for after the Amaris Coup to try to take over the Inner Sphere in the 1st Succession War. That being said I suspect the SLDF will be very unamused if they try to take advantage of the damage from the coup or do anything other then be a loyal and productive member of the League and so the SLDF will not assume they were responsible for the Coup.

David CGB

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2020, 22:01:39 »
I love this snippet and only regret it wasn't longer.
Yes, and being so open ended any one could behind the attempt!
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Register