Register Register

Author Topic: You have GOT to be kidding...  (Read 3521 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: You have GOT to be kidding...
« Reply #30 on: 11 July 2022, 12:57:06 »
It was cold and muddy...

and he stood, surrounded by groaning, screaming men.  Disir stood beside him, her golden hair laid in a braid.  "Where is this?" the dream logic let him ask.

"watch and see." she told him.

Men struggled with spears below, in the valley.

spears, and axes, their screams and the wet 'chonk' of brutal wounds carried.  The air stank of blood and shit and strife.

"What is this?"

"The end of the gods." she told him quietly, "The Christian King triumphed this day, and a True king will be remembered badly."

"How??" he asked.

"They wll throw his body to the pigs, and claim his servant ended him-stripping the last of a king's honor in the memory of men.  Your Ancestor's king, your family's debt, left unpaid.  If you look over there, you will see it."

"This is not a battle."

"no, it is an assassination.  The battle was already agreed upon, the ending of it, with silver and gold and lies, which are the affairs of kings and lords."

"Why are you showing me this?"

"because you asked." she commented.  "See there? the child? your bloodline runs through him, hiding and watching, not yet big enough, but big enough to know to run.  None of the villagers will survive this, except that child."

He found he could not close his eyes or turn from the butchery.

"Wake, and remember." she told him.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 11 July 2022, 13:24:34 »
She's really getting him now...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 11 July 2022, 14:13:54 »
"...bidding for the right to participate...

...in this mission." 

Stephan sat with his trothkin in the Assault Trinary's Elemental star, as his Star Colonel participated in the bidding. 

"We are not going to make it." Ellen muttered.

"We'll see." He said doubtfully.  The operation had some chance for Glory, but...

"you'll make it." Disir's whisper in his other ear almost caused him to flinch.

"Do you know what they have on that world?" his personal hallucination and the thing in his nightmares asked.

"What?"

"I said, the Star Captain bid away one of the Aerostars, I think-"

"They have the right kind of TREES there.  you saw it in your research."  Disir's voice was nearly a whisper.

"Surprising." he affirmed.

Remember to blood the blade before you bury it.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2022, 17:03:56 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #33 on: 11 July 2022, 15:17:28 »
Sounds like he's going to have some explaining to do once all the combat is over...  ^-^

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 11 July 2022, 18:42:12 »
Tag
And yet again I must thank Cannonshops doctors for allowing him access to a pc
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #35 on: 11 July 2022, 20:13:08 »
simplest method would be poured pig iron bar, then sharpen.
probably not. there is really no such thing as "pure iron", pretty much all worked iron items are actually various forms of steel. the forging process adds the carbon and other trace elements needed to make steel, the hammering and folding and such just manipulate the result to create specific types of steel crystalline structures in the final product.. to give different hardness, ductility, and so on to the different parts of the blade, so that it works as a blade properly. just sharping a pre-shaped bar will make a crappy knife. (this is one of my pet peeves about how hollywood likes to use the "pour into a mold" visual for sword making in fantasy.. not even removing the slag from the crucible. not only is it usually highly anachronistic for the tech level being depicted to have crucible steel in the first place, but the resulting weapons would suck big time, with bad balance, fragile metal, and being unable to properly hold an edge)

there is actually a pretty good break down of how Iron and iron tools were made on this playlist on youtube, or you can read the original articles on the ACOUP blog, first one of the five is here and links to the rest are in the intro.

in terms of mysticism too, the main reason for sacrificing a forged weapon would not be the blade itself so much as the sacrifice of so much time. you are giving up an item of substantial value, either in time and effort (if forged yourself) or in social and economic activity (if you hired someone else to forge it for you.) in either case its the effort and craftsmanship put into the blade that is being sacrificed and given up. the act of destroying the blade or burying it is giving up all that effort. a way of showing actual dedication to atonement or dedication to the deity, depending on the ritual involved. in many ways the burying of the blade in this case is an element of sympathetic magic, as the weapon is an extension of him as a result of the forging, and as such contains sympathy with him. by sacrificing the blade, he is sacrificing a bit of himself.

in norse belief, sacrificing swords to the gods at the foot of trees via burial was a common ritual, and excavations of such ritual sites have given us some of our best examples of viking age swords. most tend to be high end weapons with fancy hilts, engraving, Ulfberht blades, etc. expansive and hard to obtain examples of the weapons. in a way it is an example of conspcious consumption, but mostly it was done because to give a inferior offering was to risk the god's displeasure, and these sorts of rituals were often done to celebrate a victory won, or to ask for favorable results in coming conflicts. situations where you really don;t want the gods upset with you.
note that trees were a common site for such things because most of the norse deities had connections to various trees. odin especially, due to how he hung on Ygdrassil as a sacrifice (to himself) to gain his immense knowledge and wisdom. (it was also not uncommon for them to be thrown into lakes or ponds, and some of those sites have given us our best preserved examples)
« Last Edit: 12 July 2022, 15:09:23 by glitterboy2098 »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 12 July 2022, 11:53:12 »
She watches him even when she is...

...concealed from his vision.  In a way, the greatest trick the Trickster ever managed, was convincing mankind that such things simply cannot be.

It had been one hell of a trick, took forever to achieve.

But the consequences had not been weighted before or during.

Nonexistence would have been better, but that would not have been sufficient punishment, and there turned out to be greater powers yet still.

How do you rebuild a belief that, by its very nature, is irrational?

How does a child eat an Elephant?

One bite at a time...just about exactly how much power the trickster has left-enough to influence one mortal, for a while.

create belief, then arrange for it to spread.  Not lip-service, but genuine belief takes a while, because she can't truly impact them directly as in days of old.

She watches as he stabs a man, blooding a blade made to dedicate to a long-gone peer, then buries it beneath the struggling roots of a scrawny, sickly tree.

It's a start. 

the Trickster smiles, and decides the next task.

One at a time, Genuine belief, built on a clever lie.

fin

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 12 July 2022, 12:28:43 »
FIN!?  :o

Darn... I was looking forward to more... I was thinking Ellen would be the next believer...  :-\

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 12 July 2022, 14:01:07 »
hopeful that was just the end of that quest, he still has more
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 12 July 2022, 16:12:04 »
When I've come up with a proper quest, you'll see another Stephan Ghost Bear story.  The trouble is, first off, figuring out a good quest that still fits the setting.

The second, is keeping the fire lit long enough to give a GOOD story, not just a short outline with too much happening off screen.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 12 July 2022, 16:20:44 »
All good!  I hope to see it when it's ready!  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #41 on: 12 July 2022, 16:50:39 »
Nicely sideways!

I read the first section wondering how it tied to the Ngo saga.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Register