Register Register

Author Topic: The Bed We Made (Arluna)  (Read 24796 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: The Bed We Made (Arluna)
« Reply #420 on: 04 September 2022, 08:46:24 »
She might be pleased, but I bet there will be a stream of invective in several languages before she gets there...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #421 on: 05 September 2022, 01:09:51 »
Winter, Arcology 16, Detention level, 3060/02/17...

"Can you get it open?"  The air here was stale, and still smelled like death. The place was ice-cold. This was a surface mission, they had full body suits, it was part of the 'testing' of new equipment.

"Already on it." Radioman 3rd Class Nell Mader finished what she was doing, and the lockdown lifted.  Their mission here was simple, yet complex.  The testing on Arluna showed that most of the survivors weren't contagious-at least, so far, though there were some anomalies with the Clan contingent.

She was here with a surface recon team to recover a likely survivor from the outbreak that killed this arcology, for a return to a safe lab station in the Kowloon system.

High risk, but the potential for finding a serum was still pretty good, and...

"the last surveillance before the powerplant shut down showed the prisoner was up, they've been isolated for weeks." 

"I know sirrah...and we're in, doors on level fourteen are unlocking."

They'd found a few other newts in the other infected arcologies, and this one was probably a dry hole-most likely starved to death or frozen, if they didn't die outright.

The marines moved into the lockdown area.  "What do you suppose they did?" Nell asked.

"Well, given the security measures, probably a shipjacker or a slicer, could be violent though, and may have lost it and might be violent still."  The Gunny commented.  "We'll find out when we get there...which cell was it?"

"One-Fourteen." she said, "Two inmates initially...and I found our charges.  Interesting-pirates, sir, but voluntary surrender for at least one of them, convicted two years ago...and stay of execution due to...age?"

"Jesus, they put a KID in here?? that's messed up."

Messed up wouldn't begin to describe Prisoner 2114A, "Minh", Nicole, convicted of aiding and abetting acts of piracy when they found her, and her 'cellmate'.

she was eating him, and not because of secondary expression of the virus, but instead, out of starvation and near-hypothermia.

she went down with a single tranq shot.

"Corpsman's going to have fun with this one...that body..it's rotten."

"Ayeh sir."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #422 on: 05 September 2022, 06:06:40 »
The Corpsman is going to need a psychiatrist too...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #423 on: 05 September 2022, 07:01:05 »
The Corpsman is going to need a psychiatrist too...

I've considered going (more) In-Depth with Nicole's original story and background, but I can't make me do it.  The best deep-dive was in her first appearance in "Black Jumpsails".

I was fortunate enough to have help with getting her religious and family backgrounds sorted into something 'not a caricature'.  But her experiences prior to the scene shown here? definitely more nightmare fuel than i'm really prepared to go into on the board here.  Hence the nearly clinical detachment of the narration this time, and the lack of gruesome detail.

there's just some themes i'm not ready to more than hint at.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #424 on: 05 September 2022, 07:20:11 »
Keeping the details detached as administrivia is a good idea, especially since she's not the central plot here.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #425 on: 05 September 2022, 14:29:36 »
I agree with Daryk
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #426 on: 07 September 2022, 11:57:49 »
"...testing methods and data on prior infections...

...means we can do something more than simply hold ships in impound-we can impound the infected ships and isolate them from non-infected, and recover survivors who can then contribute to research on a cure or vaccine."  Duchess Ngo laid the address on the table, and regarded her HPG borne audience.  "We can make real progress on beating this thing, but..."

"but?" First Lord Kurita inquired.

she sighed, "BUT, there is a problem, and we're damned lucky we caught it before it got loose-because it almost did.  Exposure testing on Trueborn warrior-caste shows that whatever genetic tweaks our Clan colleagues did to themselves back in the past?  It puts them in a bad situation. Clan personnel with Trueborn genetics may survive the initial infection, but so far? they remain carriers.  Khans Pryde and Kerensky have each gotten full briefings on this, and now you will too.  The Clan contingent can't leave Arluna, and we're going to have to pull non-infected Clan vessels from boarding duties in the Quarantine...and may have to ask our friends to withdraw all confirmed non-infected vessels from the zone."

"That sounds like a serious issue for maintaining the alliance." Victor noted from his command center.

"Yeah. I wish it was a trick, but it's their guys who told me about this, The remaining Inner Sphere and allied members of the Grand Council have already begun the process of negotiating separations for their personnel at ground stations in the zone, as well as isolation for any exposed space crew.  The capper is that we're not sure if this weakness breeds true when genes are mixed with indigenous personnel, so this quarantine may end up being longer even if we DO come up with a serum that works.  the answer I'm going to advise, is to push diplomatically for Abjuration as opposed to Annihilation, and then offer immigration status and locations for survivors somewhere we can control ingress and departures until we figure out how to fix or undo the gene-tweaks that make this happen."

"HOw many are we talking about?" Archon Victor asked.

"I have fifty thousand total Clan personnel in Hue and the surrounding area." Liz stated, "About ten percent of that is confirmed Trueborns, including members of Clans Jade Falcon, Wolf, Blood Spirit, Ghost Bear, and Goliath Scorpion, along with a handful of other clans, some of whom are defectors from the Steel Viper and other 'hardline' Clans in the homeworlds."

"And your suggested location?" Kurita asked.

"Kowloon or Arluna." she stated, "Kowloon for those who are going to be kicked by association, and Arluna for confirmed infection cases.  We call them 'settlers' and finance them to help rebuild that world, which has lost most of its population already."

"Why Kowloon though??"

"becaue we've already established Clanner infrastructure in Hue, we've got the largest uninfected Clanner population that will likely be reaved, and we've got the capacity to integrate them already...and because my Brother is a Bloodhouse founder, which gives us a nice baseline and a means of integration for their castemen.  if we beat this, we'll have a means to speed up integration with the rest of the Star League if we already have a cadre of people educated in Kerenskyist thought and philosophy, technology, and methodology."

"You mentioned two Clans that don't yet have a presence..."

"I want to settle the Blood Spirits at Herbania." Liz stated, "It's far from their domestic enemies in the Homeworlds, and before the Grand Council had their split, the Spirits broke with expectations and sided with our people against the genociders in the Steel Viper's little bloc of psychos."

"Herbania? refresh my memory here..."

"Former Rim Worlds ag colony." Liz began, "Planet's still mostly-habitable and with their help we can make it wholly habitable again-they've got the old SLDF DOME files on terraforming equipment, including patterns for the machinery and tooling.  I found it in an old atlas while I was recovering from last month's treatments, turns out some of the Rockjack communities have a fueling station in the system and still monitor it-it's a decent location to put refugees from the Clanner homeworlds, plenty of room and guaranteed to be clean, since nobody lives there and there's nothing left to steal or salvage."

"Do it." Victor said, "At least, the Federated Commonwealth endorses it. Theodore?"

"I'm in favor." the acting first-lord stated, "Sun Tzu?"

"If it is as close to habitable as you claim, the Capellan Confederation will approve, provided we have rights to contact and traffic with the Herbania system."

"Thinking ahead..." Liz shrugged.

"Obviously. The Commonwealth and Combine have benefitted from the spoils of Clan contact and your relationship with the Clans, we wish to also secure such benefits, as befits the Confederation's membership in the Star League."

Victor looked a little ill at this idea.

Tom Marik spoke up, "The Free Worlds League endorses this plan...provided we also have access?"

Elizabeth bit her lip.  shit 

"Liz? it's your backyard...and your plan." Victor said.

"Fine...but we'll want your ships to train on detection protocols and screening, and submit to screening coming in, and going out." she said.  "Swab tests at minimum, and no diplomatic status for infected vessels or personnel-if they catch it, they're staying until we've beaten the damn virus...and this is ALL contingent on getting the Allied Clans to confirm the plan and the locations, we can't afford to risk an outbreak while you've got a war going with the Smoke Jaguars and your sister is playing games on two borders...and speaking of that, Primus?"

Primus Mori looked up, "Comstar agrees." she said, "Though we can not afford to send technical teams, we can share data to link the Herbania system to the DRUM network and the grid...for reasonable rates."

"Fair.  all in favor?" Theodore asked.

The vote passed.

"You may present your plan to the Clanners, Liz." Theodore said.

"Thank you.  Next order of business...I need pardons for a list of personnel we intend to use as replacements for lost coverage..."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #427 on: 07 September 2022, 13:09:51 »
"The Allied Council likes...

...some of your plan, but you are a bit late." Ulric Kerensky's image flickered, "The current division within the Clans of Kerensky aside, we are not, after some trials and other discussions, intent on Abjuring or reaving ANY of our personnel within the Quarantine zone."

"Uhm...okay..?" Liz was puzzled, "What is the plan then?"

"The Council has determined that the refugee Clans may indeed take up your offer of the Herbania system, to establish a 'safe' homeworld within the Zone, particularly for Clans most savagely damaged by the Steel Vipers and their allies in Coyote, Cloud Cobra, Star Adder, and Burrock." he added, "you can expect arrivals by late June of this year from Blood Spirit and Goliath Scorpion, whose Clan leadership will be applying for status with the renewed Star League and SLDF, Clans Snow Raven, Jade Falcon, and Wolf will continue our commitments to Quarantine enforcement using the screening methods developed by the joint scientific effort, coupled with an enhanced state of care in terms of boarding operations-which in simple terms means we will insist on having Coast Guard vessels and personnel provided to conduct boarding actions until suitable numbers of Freeborn personnel from the Clan Khanates are available to relieve them."

"YOu want to borrow my marines?"

"Aff...temporarily." he nodded.

"Well...that's...wow.  That's a good idea, I was ready to start dragging in jailhouse draftees to cover what you guys have been helping us with."

"Ew...how many have you found?"

"not enough." she confessed.  "I hate  to lose the investment but..."

"Do not abandon it so quickly, there is a certain usefulness to having disposable personnel available seeking redemption, especially with work that will likely become MORE dangerous as it progresses onward." he stated.  "Your own medical intervention shows some promise, according to the reports I have seen."

"it hurts." she said.  "but no seizures for the last six weeks, still have the lingering sensations and the constant body and head aches, but I haven't almost swallowed my tongue in the last month and a half."

"Good.  Inform the Star League Council."

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #428 on: 07 September 2022, 13:29:52 »
Hmm, interesting developments abound!  ^-^

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #429 on: 07 September 2022, 19:06:48 »
Interesting times indeed!  :thumbsup:

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #430 on: 07 September 2022, 19:44:59 »
To recapitulate:

- The Inner sphere clans will be: Jade Falcon, Wolf, Ghost Bear, Snow Raven, Blood Spirit Goliath Scorpion and some Steel Viper.

- Homeworld clans: Coyote, Cloud Cobra, Star Adder, Burrock and Steel Viper (majority).

- Unknown: Fire Mandrill, Ice Hellion, Hell's Horse and Diamond Shark.

- to go the way of the Dodo: our dear Smoke Jaguar.  ;D

IMO, the Horses and Sharks are big enough to choose to stay or go but I don't see the other two getting that opportunity.  xp

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #431 on: 07 September 2022, 20:13:47 »
in canon, the Sharks were attempting to make inroads in IS markets at the time, so i could see them deciding to build some enclaves and trade centers in the IS.

and iirc the horses were eying the IS at the time too, so they might also send some people. especially if the homeworlds get rather hostile

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #432 on: 08 September 2022, 09:10:21 »
hate to admit it, but I've run out of juice on this one. 

to be honest, I should've just done a re-edit of the 'Black Jumpsails' series instead.

I need to figure out something different instead. Thanks for following along.

Death_from_above

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #433 on: 08 September 2022, 09:16:44 »

Thanks for the ride !

Already stoked for the next iteration/story in the Ngoverse..

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #434 on: 08 September 2022, 10:01:33 »
Darn... I liked where this one was going.  I hope you figure out the next one soon!  :thumbsup:

And I sent you a separate question via PM, if you get some time... :)

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #435 on: 08 September 2022, 10:58:32 »
Thank you!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #436 on: 08 September 2022, 11:21:00 »
It was a fun and exciting ride while it lasted Cannonshop! :thumbsup:

Looking forwards to your next story.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
« Reply #437 on: 08 September 2022, 17:55:25 »
So which of these stories will be cannon?

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #438 on: 08 September 2022, 18:15:04 »
I imagine they all are, being similar but adjacent alternate realities as part of the Ngo megaverse. Makes it far easier to sort out what's going on if you think of it that way.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #439 on: 08 September 2022, 18:27:20 »
They are all canon in the grand Cannonshop Multiverse of Ngo. 

Cannonshop I look forward to your next story
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #440 on: 09 September 2022, 03:33:58 »
@CS: Thank you  :D

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #441 on: 09 September 2022, 10:25:13 »
They are all canon in the grand Cannonshop Multiverse of Ngo. 

Cannonshop I look forward to your next story

Kind of like Amber... they're all Shadows.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.