Register Register

Author Topic: The Bed We Made (Arluna)  (Read 24636 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
The Bed We Made (Arluna)
« on: 06 August 2022, 06:47:20 »
"In 2769, the Rim Worlds Republic participated in the overthrow-by-coup of the Star League.
Arluna, was a world in that republic.
But before that, Arluna was considered a resource gem for the combined Star League, with rich mineral deposits,
arable land, pleasant climate, and a small, easily controlled local population.

It was the ideal site for certain...projects that House Cameron wanted kept quiet.

but that ended..."

-Sarah Hoffstedder Diego Ortiz,
"Conspiracies, Mysteries and the remains of the Republic", 3025

Collin Church of the Lord, Folsom County, Arluna...

"...have to re-examine your taxes, now it won't be that hard, we all have to do our part for the Commonwealth."  Mr. Luis was saying in the front room.  "It's just a standard property levy for the public good."'

The Lord's men were outside, mostly, a few were near the doors.

"Now, the Baron doesn't have a problem with your little...'union' thing, but you have to understand, the Mine Owner does...and that means the Baron is getting pressured, so, you'll have to accept some sacrifices if you insist on doing this.  I want you all to understand, these men are here for your protection, and to make sure this is a fair vote.  That's all."

Even Debra knew, you don't set up a tripod-mount heavy needler and point it at disarmed civilians, if you're not expecting trouble.  she squeezed her daddy's hand.  She could smell the fear here.  The oppressive wet tang of threat in the air.

The 'mechs on the street outside.

"So, you can have your vote, or you can peacefully go on home."  Mr. Luis said.

people filed out  of the meeting almost before he'd finished the word 'home'.

There would be no vote, no union, no collective bargaining, and the wages would be cut.

"Daddy-"

"C'mon sunshine." her father said, "time to move along home nah.  They's elseways 'bout it."

She knew, then, that it was going to get bad.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: The Bed We Made (Arluna)
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2022, 09:19:22 »
Bad indeed!  8)

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2022, 12:02:30 »
Great start!

The Bed we Made, or the Bad we Made?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2022, 13:17:09 »
Tagged

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2022, 14:22:04 »
Those guards better never go into the city from that point on for R&R.

Let alone dropping a chunk of ore into the delicate gears of any machines.

Or just accidentally driving a bulldozer over the Mining camp on-site HQ.

Or getting in contact with local pirates and letting the pirates know that the Baron has dispersed his troops all over the region, leaving the Baron's home free to pillage (with a helpful map).  I'm sure there is plenty of valuable stuff in the Baron's home that can be 'relocated'.  The Baron then needs to hire mercenaries for Garrison duties, and the locals can learn when the mercenaries are scheduled to arrive, how long their contract is, and pass that along as well.

The Baron and Mine owner is going to learn that he can either pay the locals, or pay the mercenaries.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2022, 14:26:26 »
Why not both?  :D

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2022, 20:49:51 »
 One wonders what projecvts they can find?  Are we going to see Arluna flu, only this time, used as a weapon against the Commonwealth? That's the danger with pushing people--pretty soon the unthinkable becomes all too thinkable...

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2022, 23:35:02 »
1 ping   :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2022, 01:38:01 »
they call 'em Hollers...

...because that's what they call the little tiny farms and settlements.  Not the government, of course.  The government in Ciudad Madrid don't call the people who live there people, even, most of the time.

In the lower parts of the main cities, they call 'em Bestias de la colina, or in the more sophisticated German-speaking areas of Ciudad Madrid, or Ciudad Oxford, "Bergtiere", or "Hinterwäldler", or just the multilingual "Abschaum".

this doesn't stop them from coming with the trucks every spring to gather young men to be sent off for five years of service as infantry for the Lyran Commonwealth, each man filling a hole by contract for some Caballero son of a businessman, or noble.

Those get sent to Academies, or a deferment for college at a university, and when the survivors of those young men come home, there's the farms in the Hollers, or work in the mines waiting, because there's always openings in the mines.  down in collapsed shafts they say, the Señores y nobles save on digging graves with every shaft collapse.

But it's better to die in the mines, than on the surface, so they say, the church-yards are grave-yards.  Black Lung, silicosis, 'mine sickness', for iron, tungsten, iridium, gold, silver, and especially Germanium, toxic metals when you breathe 'em, when the easy vapors of the mercury in the processing, there's a million ways to die in the hills, and the specter of death is always at work here.

but there's a war on.  which war? pick one.  The Commonwealth is powered by war industries, the men go out and die and when they come home they die slower in the hills.

It isn't like these people matter-their ancestors here on Arluna were conquered, 'liberated' from the Rim Worlds Republic, and some of the highest on Arluna still feel, nearly 300 years later, that these people have not yet paid enough for the crimes of Amaris.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2022, 02:29:22 »
Those guards better never go into the city from that point on for R&R.

Let alone dropping a chunk of ore into the delicate gears of any machines.

Or just accidentally driving a bulldozer over the Mining camp on-site HQ.

Or getting in contact with local pirates and letting the pirates know that the Baron has dispersed his troops all over the region, leaving the Baron's home free to pillage (with a helpful map).  I'm sure there is plenty of valuable stuff in the Baron's home that can be 'relocated'.  The Baron then needs to hire mercenaries for Garrison duties, and the locals can learn when the mercenaries are scheduled to arrive, how long their contract is, and pass that along as well.

The Baron and Mine owner is going to learn that he can either pay the locals, or pay the mercenaries.

And lets not forget the age old: Oh, isn`t it too cold to stand guard alone on such a nice evening. Why dont we go around the corner for a little meeting?"

Yes, guerilla warfare has many facets.

"Oh, isn`t that the guard of the Baron buying his food for the next month? Lets make a distraction and put something in his food."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2022, 05:22:04 »
...They closed the works."

Are words you don't want to hear.  "why?"

"Langenecker didn't renew." Tommy said, "that was the excuse, anyway. I'm thinking it might have to do with those refugees supposed to be arriving from the Clan front-word is, they'll work cheaper than experienced hands, but who can say?"

"Taxes went up this month, the Baron says it's on 'couna th' state of 'mergency, an' there's been men from the National knockin' on doors, Tommy, offerin' bonuses to re-up to veterans."  Karin MacAulliffe told her husband, "Long hitches, or so Sally said."

"Huh, imagine that..." he sighed and dropped into his chair.  "How bad are the new taxes?"

"Up forty percent.  The notice came with another offer from Duke Diego to buy us out, an' that's all over the hills up here too-he's sent men to make offers, an' if things get much tighter, some will sell."

"Where would they go?" he asked.

"New housin' in Folsum, big concrete things.  The offer come with a guaranteed job."

"Job in a comp'ny town maybe? maybe have to shop at the Duke's Credit-store?" he asked, "ayeh, No.  we ain' selling out.  I will not have my children grow up in a Welfare island scrabbling for menial work as a serf to the Duke or his Barons."

That night, Tommy slept fitfully.

In the morning, the Fredman's place half a Klik up the road was burnt out. Fredman had told the Baron's man 'no' to selling out.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2022, 05:23:46 »
The perfect recipe for guerillas...  ^-^

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2022, 10:14:48 »
Helm, Station Keeping.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2022, 10:48:30 »
Tag
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

mikecj

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2022, 11:36:12 »
The Baron will look great dancing on the rope...
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Blade4

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2022, 16:35:00 »
Ok so clan invasion era and the local nobles are being typical noble idiots but what can they actually do about it that matters? It sounds like the population can make very nasty guerillas but the local Lyrans have all the heavy military gear and if they do successfully rise up and kill the ****** then what? At best the Lyrans blockade the planet until after the clan invasion or the year lull then come hit them hard or maybe Melissa sends in actual negotiators who recognizes this was a righteous rebellion but they still are not going to let the planet go. 

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #16 on: 07 August 2022, 18:07:03 »
deleted due to being in the wrong story
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 07 August 2022, 19:04:27 »
So we will see the full back story to Arluna this time
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2022, 06:42:23 »
[German Native Speaker's Hat on]

* "Bergtiere" => like the Turks and the Kurds: the Turks do not call the Kurds "Kurds" but official Turkish Government lingo is "Mountain-Turks" .... which is not nice at all.
 * "Hinterwäldler" => same meaning with stronger derogatory connotations then the English expression "hillbillies"
 * "Abschaum"=> very much more derogatory comparable to the English idiom "(white) trash"

[/German Native Speaker's Hat off]

So those Noble's Guard's uniforms are "Black and Tan" maybe ....

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2022, 10:06:32 »
"The problem in the highlands, is the residents...

...their ignorance and backward habits.  Their backward beliefs.  We're doing the poor bastards a favour driving them out of their isolation and into the thirty-first century!"  Whether Duke Michael Diego really meant it or not, he said it often enough it might as well be imprinted on his forehead.

In part, this is furthered by funding from the Federated Commonwealth,  social spending aimed at improving the lot of the poor, and on Arluna, the poorest live in the rural highlands.  This situation might have persisted for more centuries, nobody really wanted to deal with the Abschaum in the hills, not with the highly profitable coastal cities.

But...

unfortunately, some of the events of the last twenty years has gotten the attention of the military, in the form of medals awarded most often posthumously, and this in turn got the attention of the Lyran State's social reformers.

So, funding has begun to appear, with strings...and 'suggestions' from Tharkad.

Diego likes the added attention, because it raises Arluna's proflle, but not the tone of it.  He made promises and requests, and Her Majesty Melissa was apparently satisfied with his proposal.

Poverty programs, housing, education...but it would be fruitless to put it out there in the Hollers and Hill Country.  'Der Hinterwäldler' had to be brought down to the lowlands.  The delightful trade off, being that territory ideal for private estates for hunting and skiing could be made available to proper Lyrans, and he could satisfy the local Ecological movements in the big cities by eliminating pollution-generator industries and closing low-profit mines and ore processors.

But, he had to get the damned hillbillies out of the hills and into the cities, and they weren't responding to gentler means and enticements.

Still, an actual purge, with Tharkad's eye on Arluna, was out of the question without a provocation.

Thus, indirect methods and lots of rhetoric about how he cares for the deplorable poors in the hill country.

Julio Ortega, the planetary Magistrate, wasn't sure if the Duke believed his own rhetoric, but he was certain to scrupulously enforce the letter of the law, reminding the Duke and Barons that, without a dispensation from the Archon, their methods for obtaining compliance were...limited.

Taxation and fines could be used, and harsh (but legal) punishments for refusal, but without the Archon's blessing, direct methods at minimum would have to be witheld.

Or, at least, be deniable.  A suggestion here, an oblique reference there.  a few more regulations.

After all, who really wants those hillbillies armed??  They might hurt themselves, or someone else.

Blade4

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 08 August 2022, 10:19:26 »
I wonder how Melissa and Hanse would feel if they knew about the actual cultural divide. And the fact the local nobles are so out of touch they are about to provoke a we are dead either way revolt? Probably exasperation and having to send in troops to ****** everything starting by unseating surviving nobles... Probably another anti corruption purge of several agencies because this should never have got this far.

mikecj

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 08 August 2022, 10:32:32 »
And we make jokes about the FedSuns Outback...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 08 August 2022, 11:13:50 »
Amory Campbell was...

...eighteen when he left Arluna.  By the age of twenty one, he'd lived through three years of the Clan invasion.  He came home three fingers shorter and with half his right leg made of plastic and alloy, and a medical discharge from Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth.

The real scars, they don't treat, not when you're just grunt infantry, no matter how many medals you won, and Amory won hisself quite a number, under that flag.

"I'm not sellin." he told the Baron's man.  "Now, get off'n my property, an' tek yo' sur-vey-ors with y'all."

he told the lady from Folsum the same thing yesterday, up here offering him a room-and-a-half with a shared kitchenette and bathroom in exchange for his family's land in Woods Holler.

"Mister Campbell, this is a gold mine, you could retire off my client's offer." the man from the Baron's retinue insisted.

"I don't care, get off'n my land, don't come back." he said evenly.  "This here's a freehold, I know my rights."

They left.  But the looks that group gave? Amory knew what those looks really mean.

He'd grown up knowing those looks.

That night, he brought out the pick and the shovel, and started planting a new crop, just the way he'd learned as a combat engineer in the 26th Lyran Guards infantry regiment.

He didn't have long to wait.  four wheeled off-roaders with Ciudad Folsum registry plates came up the access road, full of young men in gang colours.

They didn't get to go home that night...or any other.

He fed the remains to the hogs that following morning, and left the cars at the bottom of Ellis Crick.

« Last Edit: 10 August 2022, 21:27:39 by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 08 August 2022, 11:35:20 »
"I will be interested to know how...

...you're connecting Amory Campbell to this disappearance, Herr Constable."  Elaine Faster MacAulliffe was educated, one of the few from the hills who got one,and came back.  "Very interested indeed."  Elaine was in her sixties, and owned a 'free store' (meaning it wasn't owned by the Baron or the mining companies), and for want of a better term, was the go-to for the locals when they had legal troubles.  "Your papers mention names, and every one of them has had legal trouble in the past."

"These are fine young men!"  the Constable insisted.

"For certain." she said, "But you h'aint made a case for how Amory Campbell might be connected to a single blessed one of them, which begs a question of what you might be thinking, tryin' to drag a decorated veteran into what is most likely a case of some lost wild-boys who'll turn up in a few days hung over an' maybe high.  Now, do you have reason to be troubling my client? 'specially without no warrants or formal charges?"

Constable Ortiz flexed his hands-he was supposed to make nothing that could be Trouble for the Baron, and running up against Elaine MacAulliffe was all sorts of trouble-the woman was a part-time Judge, and this was her territory until at least next election, and she had friends in the Provincial government.

"We have reason to believe they were going to his property."

"Now, was that too hard?" Elaine asked, "I'll be looking at that probable cause, Constable, and your evidence? Or, you'll be going to the Duke to overrule me. That's how it works.  Do you want to trouble Duke Diego over something this petty, unless you have good reason to believe some foul play has occurred?"  her eyes were hard, doll-like, and he felt the layers of his soul peeled back under that old woman's stare.

He could NOT afford to say what led him to think the Los Vatos members had been to Amory Campbell's freehold, because it would implicate el Jefe and it would implicate him in a conspiracy that would embarrass the Duke-and was contrary to Duke Diego's specific orders-though not contrary to the Duke's specific desire.

"I...will have to...I will have to verify my sources first."

"You do that.  Have a good afternoon, Constable, we're done here."

mikecj

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 08 August 2022, 12:46:06 »
Good grief.  Roscoe P. Coltrane was a better sheriff.

BrokenLancer

• Private
« Reply #25 on: 08 August 2022, 15:35:29 »
As a dyed-in-the-wool East-Tennessee hillbilly myself, I gotta say, the Duke's- and the Mining-Comp'nys' shenanigans here are leadin' very-quick toward a 'Blair Mountain' situation, with a side-dish of 'Matewan' too...

whistles 'Which Side are You On' with a smirk...

mikecj

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 08 August 2022, 16:02:57 »
The Battle of Athens comes to mind as well.

croaker

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 08 August 2022, 16:12:20 »
I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night
Alive as you and me
Says I, "But Joe, you're ten years dead,"
"I never died," said he,
"I never died," said he.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 08 August 2022, 16:12:50 »
I am thinking more main time 20th century, Rambo I, but I bet there are more than one vet in them hils..
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 08 August 2022, 17:58:32 »
The funny thing is?  this is very much something attempts to boost a region economically face all the time. My family had some stories from the era of the TVA and electrification which were very similar to this. Now, nearly 100 years later?  I can say that ultimately, it was for the good, but much like the Industrial revolution, for the people on the site? Not so much.

And of course this is just one world, not even a very big one, so it's entirely reasonable that Melissa is out of the loop just because of the other 100 "must be addressed and everything is on fire" emergencies that hit her desk every day.

Register