Register Register

Author Topic: The Broken Commonwealth...  (Read 8873 times)

Cannonshop

• Major
Re: The Broken Commonwealth...
« Reply #150 on: 31 October 2020, 23:47:38 »
Prisoner of War holding camp, Angkor Island, Kowloon, 8 days later...

"...you will notice there are fences, and ditches.  The fences are pretty easy to get through, the ditches are set up to be easy to leave, and hard to get back in.  You can run as far as you like in the jungle, nobody lives here, and the only technology, is the defense turrets surrounding the camp-which, you will want to keep loaded, if you don't want to be a meal for the wildlife.  Ammunition, food, and medicine will be delivered twice a week by air-drop, you'll want to have someone in charge of retrieving it if it falls outside the wire, you will be kept here for the duration, those of you who feel you may wish to return to civilized society will be given a chance to do so, once you've proven you can control your base urges and behave in a civilized manner among yourselves."

The recording recited it on the big-screen. 

"Today, we will begin with an introduction to the local biology and wildlife, and a reiteration of why you want to maintain your camp security..."
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Euphonium

• Lieutenant
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #151 on: 31 October 2020, 23:51:13 »
That's one way to avoid having lots of manpower tied down guarding prisoners!  >:D
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #152 on: 01 November 2020, 00:53:00 »
hell

the loonies could be making it all up, but the clanners will take the
loonies at their word i think
« Last Edit: 01 November 2020, 11:34:30 by Dave Talley »
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #153 on: 01 November 2020, 01:14:10 »
They're effectively bondsmen anyway. Unless they can somehow argue that the method of their capture was dishonorable, they lost that battle fair and square. What's more, the loonies have been giving the other naval forces a black eye for some time now. As far as the might is right obsessed Clans go, the loonie naval forces are legit.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #154 on: 02 November 2020, 12:00:33 »
The Duchess came home at the Snark L1 point.

Kowloon, 8 days after the sinking of the CHS Armageddon...

"It's everything grandma wanted." Sharon said, addressing the Citizen's Assembly.  "Our world governs itself, without needing a 'noble' to muck things up."

she braced her palms on the podium, "You've proven I'm not needed to keep things going here at home.  It's...beautiful in a sense, constitutional government restored after five long centuries dormant.  I didn't do this, you did, I didn't win a great victory against an invader, you did.  and Elizabeth, my grandmother, would be so proud of what you've accomplished!  Proud to be part of it.  But the work isn't finished yet."

she took a deep breath, "We are surrounded by enemies still, the Archon has chosen to bend the knee to a Wolf Empire, the Jade Falcons have degenerated into genocidal maniacs, the Republic of the Sphere is back to doing their sick, diseased tricks, tricks designed to break everyone and bring them to heel under Old Earth's crushing boot once more."

she shuffled a few sheets of flimsy, "It is important to remember, in these times, that we are not alone. There still remain some who would fight for a Nation worthy of their courage, who would sacrifice, if they had a nation worthy of that sacrifice, who would, at the very least, stand with their neighbours against the coming darkness and madness.  Every year, since 3067, someone has brought up on this floor the possibility-the legal possibility, of Kowloon exercising their Section 32 part nine rights and seceding. In the past, I have argued against this, as did my mother, and my grandmother."

she looked at the assembled delegates, "This year, with the introduction of the same bill as last  year, I have nothing to say.  No recommendations.  Should we stay, or should we go?"

She gave an exaggerated shrug, "I don't have an answer.  The time I spent working for Archon Trillian, trying to reform and rebuild a broken service, and the lessons learned dealing with the epidemic, endemic, malignant, pervasive and pernicious mix of incompetence, corruption, nepotism, and apathy on the National level, in the midst of an invading army of degenerate, genocidal maniacs? I refuse to lend my voice either in support of secession, or in support of continuing to support the Commonwealth as the Archon bends the knee and kisses the ring of a Wolf Clan Warlord."

she sighed, "I will honor and support the outcome of this coming vote, regardless of which way it goes, with all the determination left to me, and all of my family's resources...but the choice of staying, or going is not mine to make.  It's yours."

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

paulobrito

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #155 on: 02 November 2020, 12:19:13 »
And I bet the loonies vote to go alone.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #156 on: 02 November 2020, 13:00:28 »
And I bet the loonies vote to go alone.
For a given value of "alone": they have off-the-books friends
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

paulobrito

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #157 on: 02 November 2020, 13:19:34 »
For a given value of "alone": they have off-the-books friends
Yes, of course. By alone I want to say - not aligned with any Archon.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #158 on: 02 November 2020, 13:20:07 »
And the Ravens welcome Clan Space Orca, aka Kowloon?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #159 on: 02 November 2020, 14:28:32 »
if they break away, i suspect many of the neighboring worlds would break away and join them. after all, the 'Loonies are already providing protection for most of that region, and it isn't like any of the other worlds around there are getting much benefit from being part of the lyran state.

they could easily become a lyran analog of the Filtvelt Coalition.

Euphonium

• Lieutenant
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #160 on: 02 November 2020, 15:42:46 »
If the 'Loonies vote to secede will Trillian let them go? Will Alaric? Can either of them prevent it?

I'm assuming that Ngo Industries will honour all existing contracts regardless.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #161 on: 02 November 2020, 16:22:10 »
If the 'Loonies vote to secede will Trillian let them go? Will Alaric? Can either of them prevent it?

I'm assuming that Ngo Industries will honour all existing contracts regardless.
Let them go, expecting that they'll "come crawling back", only to get whiplash from the double-take when they not only survive, but thrive independently.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #162 on: 02 November 2020, 16:40:12 »
Overview: Local Politics.

A ritualized measure that has gone largely uninterrupted since 2788 is being seriously debated for the first time in almost a century.

The Ritual

Chapter 32, subsection 9 of the Kowloon Treaty of Annexation (written 2785) explicitly states that the Kowloon System's membership in the Lyran Commonwealth is voluntary, and outlines specific procedures to be taken by the Citizen's Assembly in the event that the system, for whatever reason, should wish to terminate that voluntary membership.

It's unique, because most ex-Rim-Worlds taken by the Lyrans after the SLDF got finished reaming the actual Rim Worlds Republic itself as part of knocking the pins out from under Amaris didn't get that kind of consideration-but then, they didn't negotiate their annexation, either.

The vote requires a 60% majority of all elected members of the Assembly.  Not a 'quorum', and abstentions are specifically not allowed on this specific vote.  It is very much an either/or situation and requires a supermajority to pass.  However, the same treaty also requires the vote be taken annually.

Notable violations have occurred on this, particularly during the reign of Alessandro Steiner (when nearly 10% of the Assembly were being held as political prisoners, including Cham Duk Ngo, the Duke of that time), and during the latter portion of the Regency period (3048 to 3053) when a significant portion of the Assembly were 'absent' due to being imprisoned or fugitive and the body was dissolved under 'emergency measures extant to wartime' by Governor-Regent Stonecipher (who also questionably-legally suspended the constitution, applied illegal taxes, and conducted a number of questionably-lawful land and resource seizures under false color of law, which got his brains blown out by Duchess Elizabeth Ngo on live television.)

The closest the votes have gotten in previous instances, were the 48% secession vote after Katrina (Victor's Grandmother) took the throne from Alessandro Steiner and released political prisoners, and 51% after Elizabeth Ngo's execution of the Governor-Regent.

Most of the time, secession polls around 10-15%, usually concentrated in delegates from the Northern continental districts or Provo Valley on the Plateau (these are largely cosmetic votes cast as  a sort of 'virtue signaling' or 'ritualized position'.)

in other words, no serious debate has actually gone on before this most recent Ducal Address.

So, What Changed?

While Kowloon is relatively stable at the moment, there are several factors influencing the mood of the populace, both on the planet, and in her Rockjack communities of the outer system.

Among those: growing dissatisfaction with how the world is treated and viewed outside.  The sustained campaign against the Jade Falcons, and visible lack of progress, the Commonwealth's apparent further weakness, and especially the issues regarding a recent civil war, and Trillian's unifying with Clan Wolf, are actually controversial on Kowloon.  "He's no Roshak, and she's effectively subordinated to him!" is gaining a lot of ground. 

This is a backhand reference to Elizabeth Ngo's marriage to Star Colonel Nathan Roshak-a Jade Falcon, which occurred under quite different conditions, with the Duchess being the dominant partner in the public's eye.  This perception grows from a perception that Trillian Steiner-Davion is weak-a perception driven in part by LCAF's failure to make solid gains against the Falcon Ordun, with many of the successes of Reinhardt's campaign being locally viewed more as "Kowloonese successes that were pissed away".

A weakened Commonwealth economy is further damaging things.  The loss of much of the Commonwealth's industrial base, economic base, crumbling trade infrastructure, and a wartime recession are not helping matters.  The onset of additional taxes and levies, after a forced disarmament prior to the current crisis, well...it's like remembering the stimulus and the response. 

Upshot being, to many Kowloonese who previously were opposed to Secession, the attitude is 'The Commonwealth is collapsing'.

Sharon Ngo's public resignation from the post of LCAF's Chief of Naval Operations, didn't help this impression in the slightest, particularly her cited reasons, which lack nuance and in their blunt delivery appeals to the sentiments of the average planetary voter.

Opposition say WHUT??

Just as important to the voters, however, is the virtue of persistence and loyalty, as well as pocket-book concerns regarding exports and income, jobs, and ties to the Commonwealth such as military service and patriotism.

and, of course, the risk of MORE war coming, both from a Lyran Commonwealth that might object to secession, and closer, more threatening conditions involving the Clans and the threat that they might find themselves standing alone to face the teeth of Malvina's murderous war machine.

The argument is quite heated, and a vote that is normally handled in fifteen to twenty minutes as part of the closing session for the year, has resulted in a multi-week impassioned debate regarding Kowloon's future.  Protests and counter-protests have been peaceful thus far, as sentiment can't be neatly divided by geography or even political orientation.  There are elements of both the left and right that are passionately arguing internally about this, with questions coming up more often than answers-even more often than 'simpleton' answers.

It's a big step, to even think about walking away.

but, for the first time since they got rid of a corrupt regency, those thoughts are seriously being considered...

« Last Edit: 03 November 2020, 10:12:13 by Cannonshop »

Euphonium

• Lieutenant
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #163 on: 02 November 2020, 17:18:03 »
If it's being talked about for weeks the word will reach Trillian (and Alaric?) before a decision is made. I wonder if either will have time to send speakers or intervene in person?

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #164 on: 02 November 2020, 20:29:26 »
How many hulls and how much construction capacity do they have now?

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #165 on: 02 November 2020, 21:30:14 »
How many hulls and how much construction capacity do they have now?

More to the point, how many hulls do the spares actually exist to keep running, and how many crews that are competent to operate said hulls, for both sides.

Sharon, before she pulled her Achilles in the Tent?  Was tracking Naval Grade equipment leaving LCN depots and reappearing on the arms market.  That new Mjolinir ordered, and another, LCS Wotan, under going repair/refit after battle at Gibbs?  How many of their parts are actually in the storage depots, and how many are listed as there, but in reality sold off and the money pocketed by the people who embezzled that equipment?
« Last Edit: 02 November 2020, 22:43:06 by Nikas_Zekeval »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #166 on: 02 November 2020, 21:35:27 »
If it's being talked about for weeks the word will reach Trillian (and Alaric?) before a decision is made. I wonder if either will have time to send speakers or intervene in person?
presumably their representatives would be given a chance to speak in the deliberations prior to the official vote. publicly. on system wide holovid. with the officers of the court making it perfectly clear that they are there to speak on the Commonwealth's and Empire's behalf, not to make threats.

Adjudicator

• Private
« Reply #167 on: 02 November 2020, 23:54:41 »
I can only hope this event ends up being more civil than what happened in the old NgoVerse iteration of the secession  Kowloon and neighbouring regions "A Civil Affair..."

There is also the old saying that "Civil Wars are anything but Civil".

Red Pins

• Captain
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #168 on: 02 November 2020, 23:59:28 »
This is interesting - hope Kowloon makes a go of it as an Archonette (?) or just goes independent and takes its neighbours with it.

I will say, the concept of  a competent government/military vs posers is interesting and there hasn't been much to do but read lately, but all the flavours of 'Kowloon wins!' makes want to see them lose.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #169 on: 03 November 2020, 00:22:59 »
More to the point, how many hulls do the spares actually exist to keep running, and how many crews that are competent to operate said hulls, for both sides.

Sharon, before she pulled her Achilles in the Tent?  Was tracking Naval Grade equipment leaving LCN depots and reappearing on the arms market.  That new Mjolinir ordered, and another, LCS Wotan, under going repair/refit after battle at Gibbs?  How many of their parts are actually in the storage depots, and how many are listed as there, but in reality sold off and the money pocketed by the people who embezzled that equipment?
Well yeah, but I got the sense the problem was worst at the Commonwealth run yard at Gibbs.
Kowloon due to its culture has much more less tolerance for the endemic corruption and are unlikely to let it prosper.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Lieutenant
« Reply #170 on: 03 November 2020, 00:31:55 »
Well yeah, but I got the sense the problem was worst at the Commonwealth run yard at Gibbs.
Kowloon due to its culture has much more less tolerance for the endemic corruption and are unlikely to let it prosper.

Kinda my point, while the LCN looks to have the bigger stick, I question how much of that stick has been stuck together with chewing gum.

Ugly thought, in a secession?  Kowloonese Coast Guard goes to those same arms markets, and buys the embezzled LCN gear for their own use.  Not only does the LCN lose it, but it goes right to the force they might be trying to put down.  Which is before you get into the navigational briar patch of the Kowloon binary system.  How many of those LCN officers that Sharon cashiered are back in uniform now?

It depends on how much of Sharon's playbook Trillain is trying to put into action, and how much of it whoever she picked to run the LCN is able and willing to implement.  Above and beyond the Falcons going after Gibbs again most likely.  The Horses showing up is either the Falcons pawning the job off on an ally, or using them as "stalking horses" ^-^ to see how hard a nut Kowloon would be to crack.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2020, 10:38:42 by Nikas_Zekeval »

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #171 on: 03 November 2020, 00:45:56 »
Yeah there's the other problem.
Sharon had been trying to reform the LCN by infusing it with Kowloon blood and knowhow. Through expanded training and personnel exchanges.
How many of those might feel more inclined to throw in with the one competent part of the LCN?

Red Pins

• Captain
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #172 on: 03 November 2020, 01:38:54 »
How many of those personnel will be willing to go along with attacking their home system for choosing to legally leave the Commonwealth?  The technical know-how of those individuals is a dangerous thing to rely on in that case.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #173 on: 03 November 2020, 02:49:52 »
The closest the votes have gotten in previous instances, were the 48% secession vote after Katrina (Victor's Grandmother) took the throne from her father and released political prisoners,
Katrina took power from her uncle Alessandro Steiner. Her father, Alexander Weldon, never held political power that I'm aware of.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #174 on: 03 November 2020, 10:12:32 »
Katrina took power from her uncle Alessandro Steiner. Her father, Alexander Weldon, never held political power that I'm aware of.

Good catch, that was an "OOPS".

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #175 on: 03 November 2020, 12:18:18 »
Spider Moon CGNAS...

"...they didn't order those, your Grace."

"I don't care." Sharon said, "the ships are ready, yah?"

"They are, just waiting on crew."

"Can we find ferry crews for them?" she asked.

"We've got those, no problem, but to meet full manning requirements-"

"****** full manning, Whoever the Archon's got can take the ****** things to war." Sharon snapped, "I want those hulls en-route tonight, call it a 'surprise delivery' to Coventry.  If the gods-damned Estates General didn't cut the procurement request that's where they would have been going anyway."

"I don't understand, your grace, you just abstained from comment and made a pretty good case for leaving, and you're still going to send materiel to the Commonwealth?"

"Let me lay it out for you-if the falcons are fighting the Commonwealth, then they're leaving us alone." Sharon said it savagely, "Given how things look out there, Steiner's going to need the ships sooner rather than later, and if we're very lucky Charles Darwin will step in, and help us out in the event the Assembly votes to remain a Lyran world...and we're going to need contacts on the outside if they DO vote to secede."

"Yes ma'am..."

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #176 on: 03 November 2020, 13:53:12 »
There's always something else going on.

The hardest part of governing, is knowing who you can trust, who you should trust, and who you can't trust.

the Lyran Commonwealth's dark side, is that it's as much a tyranny as the Draconis Combine, once you scratch through the crafted veneer, with a secret police whose methods are considerably more ruthless in method than many of the worst Capellan Maskirovka atrocities.

Just...done more or less with prussian efficiency.

Archon Trillian Steiner-Davion sat in a pho' shop, eating vietnamese-style noodle soup for lunch.

across the remainder of the Lyran Commonwealth, Lohengrin teams were in motion today, and where Lohengrin wasn't operating, Heimdall was.

The move began almost as soon as the ink was dry on her succession, and she'd worked with Sharon Ngo to set up the trap, they'd worked together on wording the exact tone of Sharon's resignation, timing it precisely, to lure their prey into moving openly.

Trillian sipped broth from a baked-ware spoon, and turned the pages of a neighbourhood german-language magazine while the strains of the Connaught Royal Pipers played on the shop's muzak.

There wouldn't be time for all the trials, so only a few targets would survive to face charges.

It simply wasn't possible to prosecute so many in a reasonable period of time, especially among the Commonwealth's so-called 'leading' citizens.

Trillian settled for letting one in ten survive to be tried, and it was still going to be hundreds of prosecutions.

Embezzlement, profiteering, fraud, bribery, abuse of office, misuse of resources, black marketeering, theft of public property...

she turned a page.

...theft under color of law, obstruction of justice, racketeering...

she paused and sipped from a small earthenware tea-cup. 

Tonight, the Commonwealth would change, because it has to

"...the old ways are failing us, Trillian. I can keep delivering useless, futile so-called 'victories' but if you don't cut the rot out, it's just delaying the inevitable..."

A Ruler must make choices, sometimes choices that rankle.  For centuries, the rot had gone on because the Commonwealth produced with extra to spare, arming both friend and foe, maintaining endless conflicts to power the lifestyles of the rich and decadent, and now?

we can't afford that anymore.

On the whole, it was a tiny sub-fraction, a millionth of a percent.  Most Lyrans wouldn't even notice as teams from Loki's financial crimes bureau served papers on firms as old as the Commonwealth itself, and teams either captured, or assassinated the men running the illicit operations that had siphoned the health, and the wealth, of the nation on a truly colossal scale.

She sighed, and took a fork to a baked dumpling, and another sip of tea.

In barracks and academies, even, men were about to meet their fates.

she sipped her tea, and turned a page.

now, to figure out how to get out from under Alaric.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #177 on: 03 November 2020, 14:12:14 »
[out of story]

At this point, I'm losing the thread.  Just don't like how it's working out, can't find the character voices.

I guess it's just really kind of eh, this isn't going to work.

My original idea, was to have Sharon fail.

fail a LOT.

Hard.

I suddenly understand Chuck's perspective, except I can't really enjoy it, I guess I'm not sadistic enough.

I'm going to tie this one off.

Artifex

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #178 on: 03 November 2020, 15:22:04 »
It was a good going while it lasted Cannonshop. After all not every endeavor meets with ringing success and you have to admit you've had a lot of those in the recent times. ;-) Best to end it when it feels best to you. :thumbsup:

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #179 on: 03 November 2020, 15:31:47 »
Well, that´s disappointing. Yet another story abandoned the moment it starts to get really interesting.

Could it be that you´re burnt out on the Ngoverse? It appears that you cannot keep the stories going once you step beyond slight variations of what happened in previous iterations.

The story with the clanners and the spirit of vengeance noticeably did NOT have that problem. So, maybe it´s time you set aside the Ngos for a while and write about something else?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century