Register Register

Author Topic: The Federated Sun's Reborn Part TWO  (Read 54389 times)

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
Re: The Federated Sun's Reborn Part TWO
« Reply #960 on: 02 October 2020, 18:09:39 »
Its pretty hilarious that in the AFFS high command the arguments being thrown around are 'Okay, how exactly do we go about organizing this new divisional unit? Do we simply throw a new bunch of equipment at existing units, stand up new RCTs in a new format, combine units of different tactics and structures and then place a divisional level unit on top of them with extra assets - and do we throw another hundred aerospace fighters at them?' and so on ...

Where as in the DC its probably all about discussing if bamboo sticks with explosive charges on the end might be a good stopgap to train up their infantry with in the short term...

Some days its nice having a runaway military-industrial complex :D
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Kiko70

• Corporal
« Reply #961 on: 02 October 2020, 18:23:11 »
Its pretty hilarious that in the AFFS high command the arguments being thrown around are 'Okay, how exactly do we go about organizing this new divisional unit? Do we simply throw a new bunch of equipment at existing units, stand up new RCTs in a new format, combine units of different tactics and structures and then place a divisional level unit on top of them with extra assets - and do we throw another hundred aerospace fighters at them?' and so on ...

Where as in the DC its probably all about discussing if bamboo sticks with explosive charges on the end might be a good stopgap to train up their infantry with in the short term...

..amateurs talk about tactics, professionals talk about logistics.

If your 5 ton truck can't get there then sustained, large scale ops is a no-go.

The real measure of competence in war making is the ability to project combat power over the tyranny of distance.

The real backbone of successful long term war making is logistics and intelligence.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2020, 18:29:50 by Kiko70 »

David CGB

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #962 on: 02 October 2020, 19:04:12 »

..amateurs talk about tactics, professionals talk about logistics.

If your 5 ton truck can't get there then sustained, large scale ops is a no-go.

The real measure of competence in war making is the ability to project combat power over the tyranny of distance.

The real backbone of successful long term war making is logistics and intelligence.
Thank you for saying the truth!
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #963 on: 02 October 2020, 19:22:23 »

I'm guessing the logistic/quartermaster corp of the DCMS is sitting in a corner crying wishing they had signed on with the AFFS right now...

Kujo

• Private
« Reply #964 on: 02 October 2020, 19:41:52 »
[/quote]

Unless your the DOOP and the officers are of the caliber of Zapp Brannigan, then it doesn't matter just how "runaway your budget and industrial base is" as your leaders are dumb, rigid, self-serving and arrogant (DCMS with the worst of LAAF) (though Kiff would make a fine staff officer in the AFFS).  This has been an attempt at cross scifi humor, it was only an attempt :thumbsup:  If it was actually funny it would of come from someone with a better name then Kujo 8)

Can't wait for more of the story!
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #965 on: 02 October 2020, 20:22:36 »

Unless your the DOOP and the officers are of the caliber of Zapp Brannigan, then it doesn't matter just how "runaway your budget and industrial base is" as your leaders are dumb, rigid, self-serving and arrogant (DCMS with the worst of LAAF) (though Kiff would make a fine staff officer in the AFFS).  This has been an attempt at cross scifi humor, it was only an attempt :thumbsup:  If it was actually funny it would of come from someone with a better name then Kujo 8)

Can't wait for more of the story!

Thats more a Combine thing I think :D

"Soldiers, soon you'll be fighting for the Dragon. Many of you will be dying for the Dragon. A few of you will be forced through a fine mesh screen for the Dragon. They will be the luckiest of all!"
« Last Edit: 02 October 2020, 20:28:50 by Chris OFarrell »
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #966 on: 08 October 2020, 18:57:57 »
3072 - March - Interlude: A Warning

Office of the Regent (General of the Armies)

Asgard

Mount Wotan

Tharkad

Donegal Province

Lyran Alliance

As the two older men were led into his office the Regent of the Lyran Alliance stood up with genuine respect, particularly for the man on the right. He had to almost visibly stop himself saluting the one armed man who hadn't bothered to wear his prosthetic to the meeting. After the last "calibration" at least standing wasn't causing him quite so much pain and he managed to avoid any grimacing as he forced his shattered body to stand for the two men. "Grand Duke Kell, Duke Bradford, welcome... Please have a seat, my aide can get you anything you wish, coffee, tea, something stronger? No... As you wish..."

When both men sat in front of him the Regent sat himself and waved his aide from the room. Taking the bull by the horns Adam Steiner inclined his head towards the older men. "I know why you are here gentlemen and firstly can I say before we start that I have nothing but the deepest respect for both of you. But I have made my position very clear."

"Then change your damn position." Kell made little effort to soften his tone. He was angry and in no mood to pretend he wasn't. Bradford just nodded along with his allies statement.

Holding up both his real and cybernetic hand in a gesture of conciliation Adam shook his head. "I can't your graces, not even for you both."

"You mean you won't." Bradford snapped. "Because you damn well could if you wanted too!"

"I mean I can't." Adam resisted the urge to snap back. "No matter how much I might wish it, the legal process must be followed..."

Morgan Kell leaned forward slightly in his chair. "That's my grand-nephew you have under house arrest Regent Steiner..."

"I understand that sir. As I understand that Duke Bradford is likewise unhappy about the arrest of his representative to the Estates General..." Adam spoke quickly. "And I assure you as soon as the legal process is followed should they be found innocent of all charges as I sincerely hope they will be released!"

"Charges?!" Morgan growled. "What EXACTLY has my nephew been charged with?"

"I cannot discuss ongoing legal cases... You must understand..." Adam began.

Before he could understand Kell interrupted. "The hell I have to understand this Lord Regent. I have seen every press release and the video footage of your own instructions to arrest the representatives... And I am here to tell you that David was only following my orders in every single thing he did while acting as my world's delegate to the Estates General."

"As did my own representative." Bradford added. "He followed MY instructions to the letter."

Morgan Kell smiled without a trace of humour in his eyes. "So... On that basis you better arrest us Lord Regent. As anything that our kinsmen may have done that warrants arrest they did under our instructions..."

Regent Adam Steiner sat back, glancing first at the one armed Grand Duke and then his ally the Duke of Coventry and for a half second he was tempted to call Kell's bluff. Until he met the old man's gaze and realised that the old warhound wasn't bluffing. He was quite prepared to be marched off under arrest to make his point. Even if the sheer respect he held for the heroic Morgan Kell would have let him give that order Adam Steiner wasn't foolish enough to even consider it - he'd have riots within hours and mutinies within days. Within the week the entire Wolves-in-Exile and Kell Hound's would be marching on Tharkad. Probably with other units falling in to support them. The Coventry CPM for certainty. No. That wasn't even an option. He shook his head at them. "You know I won't do that your graces..."

"Then let David and the others go!" Kell barked. "God man! You are turning allies into enemies with this heavy handed approach!"

Bradford nodded. "We were all prepared to stand by your appointment as Regent for young Hanse... Hell Victor was..."

The Duke of Coventry trailed off as he saw the Regent's face go hard at his misstep. Kell winced internally. Clearly the two men had underestimated how pissed off Adam was with the First Prince. Adam jerked a nod at Bradford and Kell both. "Yes... I'm sure you both were in full contact with Victor over this and other issues... That is the problem your graces! A foreign head of state has FAR too much influence over the Alliance. You are not the only ones who check with Victor Davion before moving. I would estimate fully a third of the nobles of the Alliance look to New Avalon before they act. That is not something that I as Regent can tolerate. We must show that we are not the Davion's lapdogs..."

"Be careful who you call a lapdog Adam..." Kell warned with a new chill in his voice. "A Hound or a Wolf is no lapdog."

Adam forced himself to apologise sensing he had went too far. "My apologies Grand Duke Kell... I misspoke."

"Accepted." Kell stood up. "Look tempers are rising. We are all old soldiers here and before someone says something that they can't take back... I think we should finish for today. But I strongly suggest you consider changing your mind on this point Lord Regent. Your position might appear to be one of strength from where you are sitting but it is undermining your authority with those most disposed to support you. Thomas and I will come and see you again. And again if we have too."

Realising that Kell was right to end the meeting here before tempers frayed further Steiner nodded and stood offering his real hand to both men and shaking hands firmly. "You will always find my door open... I promise you that at least."

As they turned to leave Morgan Kell paused and looked at Adam Steiner and spoke softly enough that Thomas Bradford could pretend not too hear. "Genuinely Adam... Think this over. You are dangerously close to my friends intervening. None of us want that."

For a split second Adam thought he meant the Wolves-in-Exile but then he realised that Kell was talking about Heimdall. Keeping his gaze steady until the two men had been ushered out he sat down with a grunt of pain that had little to do with his injuries. Heimdall.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2020, 18:59:40 by Billy Boy Mark II »

paulobrito

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #967 on: 08 October 2020, 19:26:44 »
How to piss-off everybody - By Adam Steiner.

Kujo

• Private
« Reply #968 on: 08 October 2020, 20:31:24 »
when you've screwed the poach enough to get Heimdall involved, well it's time to consider how to 'unscrew' things as carefully as possible.  Adam may want a 'Steiner' on the throne, but doing it 'his' way may have a Steiner-Davion on the throne by default.  Thank you great update.
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

Atlan

• Sergeant
« Reply #969 on: 08 October 2020, 21:42:03 »
Maybe the worst part of this is that Adam isn't WRONG. He's not a mustache-twirling villain, he's not Katrina(Katherine, not her grandmother), he's genuinely trying to do whats right for the Lyran Alliance.

And if half of your nation is taking orders from a foreign power, then (ally or not) you have a very big problem.

And if the Lyran Alliance falls apart, that spells disaster for its citizens. It wasn't too bad for the CC, or the FLW, but the LA is right on the Clan border. It NEEDS to stay unified, or everyone is getting conquered and press-ganged into one of the most repressive civilizations there is.

Between Victors followers, Katrina's followers, and Skye, he barely has control of his realm. And he NEEDS control of his realm to fight off the clans who keep invading. And he has very few tools to do it. He can't kill Katrina- she's out of range. He can't break ties with Victor- he needs the FedSuns military prodction. He can't destroy Free Skye- he'd loose troops he can't afford to loose, and it wouldn't work very well.

His options are badly limited. Maybe a clever politician could have weaseled a solution- framing Katrina for atrocities, send her supporters on suicide missions, manovuer the Clans into attacking Skye so he could valiantly save it, ect- but Adam has canon-Victor's problem- he's a soldier, not a clever politician. And his solution to the problems only made everything worse.

ovk8102

• Recruit
« Reply #970 on: 08 October 2020, 21:49:22 »
Yea, Adam really should have had "Heart-to-Heart" meetings with the pro Davion/pro Victor camp before putting on the Iron Glove to try & intimidate everyone into supporting his Regency. A lot of them ARE Steiner Loyalists that just wanted to stay on good terms with the FedSuns. But NNOOOO, he had to slap them down in an attempt to solidify his power base instead of solidifying the LYRAN COMMONWEALTH's "Power Base" by maintaining cordial relations backed by "Blood Kin" connections the current "Big Dog" on the block. There shouldn't be a SINGLE Polity in the Inner Sphere that Really, REALLY, RRREEALLLY doesn't want for the FedSuns to turn it's gaze in their direction with "Ill Intent". But Adam just can't seem to stop jamming his whole leg into it up to his knee, & sometimes BOTH of them. Honestly, if Victor wanted to pull Panzerfaust's Clover Spear "Trick" he could probably all on his lonesome.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #971 on: 09 October 2020, 01:34:25 »
How to piss-off everybody - By Adam Steiner.
An interstellar bestseller.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #972 on: 09 October 2020, 10:08:43 »
Maybe the worst part of this is that Adam isn't WRONG. He's not a mustache-twirling villain, he's not Katrina(Katherine, not her grandmother), he's genuinely trying to do whats right for the Lyran Alliance.

And if half of your nation is taking orders from a foreign power, then (ally or not) you have a very big problem.

And if the Lyran Alliance falls apart, that spells disaster for its citizens. It wasn't too bad for the CC, or the FLW, but the LA is right on the Clan border. It NEEDS to stay unified, or everyone is getting conquered and press-ganged into one of the most repressive civilizations there is.

Between Victors followers, Katrina's followers, and Skye, he barely has control of his realm. And he NEEDS control of his realm to fight off the clans who keep invading. And he has very few tools to do it. He can't kill Katrina- she's out of range. He can't break ties with Victor- he needs the FedSuns military prodction. He can't destroy Free Skye- he'd loose troops he can't afford to loose, and it wouldn't work very well.

His options are badly limited. Maybe a clever politician could have weaseled a solution- framing Katrina for atrocities, send her supporters on suicide missions, manovuer the Clans into attacking Skye so he could valiantly save it, ect- but Adam has canon-Victor's problem- he's a soldier, not a clever politician. And his solution to the problems only made everything worse.

That's the thing... Adam isn't paranoid. It really ISN'T a good thing long term with a foreign head of state having so much influence within another realm. It's frankly a disaster waiting to happen. And he didn't create the problem - Katherine Steiner-Davion did. When she broke the LA off from the FedCom a LOT of people who didn't like that looked to Victor - and now still do. The fact he's basically turned things around in the FS and revitalised the realm has most of them muttering about how they'd like that for the LA as well. Peter Steiner (Davion) if he had lasted a bit longer would have had some kudos for the new naval yards, factories, etc as well but even then was still going to be seen as the "lesser brother" to Victor. With his premature death and Katrina's disappearing off to the Clans the Lyrans are definitely getting a feeling that they got the short end of the Steiner-Davion bloodline. And Adam inherited that mess. His way of fixing it wasn't smart - but he was going for a show of strength. As you say he isn't a politician he's a soldier and he tried to deal with it bluntly. He is frankly a military hero - having sacrificed his limbs and blood for the Lyran people and led them to victory against the Wolves. But that was yesterday. Now he's fighting in an arena he doesn't know.

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #973 on: 09 October 2020, 10:25:58 »
That's the thing... Adam isn't paranoid. It really ISN'T a good thing long term with a foreign head of state having so much influence within another realm. It's frankly a disaster waiting to happen. And he didn't create the problem - Katherine Steiner-Davion did. When she broke the LA off from the FedCom a LOT of people who didn't like that looked to Victor - and now still do. The fact he's basically turned things around in the FS and revitalised the realm has most of them muttering about how they'd like that for the LA as well. Peter Steiner (Davion) if he had lasted a bit longer would have had some kudos for the new naval yards, factories, etc as well but even then was still going to be seen as the "lesser brother" to Victor. With his premature death and Katrina's disappearing off to the Clans the Lyrans are definitely getting a feeling that they got the short end of the Steiner-Davion bloodline. And Adam inherited that mess. His way of fixing it wasn't smart - but he was going for a show of strength. As you say he isn't a politician he's a soldier and he tried to deal with it bluntly. He is frankly a military hero - having sacrificed his limbs and blood for the Lyran people and led them to victory against the Wolves. But that was yesterday. Now he's fighting in an arena he doesn't know.

And that is what Adam should have told Kell as he walked out the door. With Morgan showing the Heimdal card, he just proved he was loyal to the Lyrans. Heimdal is a totally different group than the Davion Flag wavers. I would not be suprised if Heimdal members were from all three groups that Adam sees, The Davion, Katrina, and Lyran groups.

Adam needs to bare his cards to Morgan. Morgan is Loyal, though that string is getting pulled very close to breaking. Adam can get Morgan to understand that way.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

thtadthtshldntb

• Sergeant
« Reply #974 on: 09 October 2020, 11:12:20 »
Heimdall is more like a group of space libertarians who profoundly embrace the philosophy of the novels from the The Weaponshops of Isher series. They would be reacting because of what they see as excessive or illegal detainment en masse, not so much because of the politics.

Overstepping and placing them into actual detainment was his problem. What he should have done is announce the arrests but released most of them on their own recognizance, and then stated, we now will let the courts sort this out.

EAGLE 7

• Sergeant
« Reply #975 on: 09 October 2020, 11:49:59 »
   Adam can still release a majority of the representatives, (those who will sign a probation.... not probation, what captured officers would be offered if they would agree not to participate in hostilities?) drawing a blank).

Adam needs to work his spin masters to play it up. Lyran  loyalty before loyalty to others, even allies.
Prep a ceremony where the arrested can publicly give oath to the Lyran people.
Also focus people towards the remaining threats.

A little velvet glove to go with iron Steiner fist.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #976 on: 09 October 2020, 12:17:28 »
   Adam can still release a majority of the representatives, (those who will sign a probation.... not probation, what captured officers would be offered if they would agree not to participate in hostilities?) drawing a blank).

Adam needs to work his spin masters to play it up. Lyran  loyalty before loyalty to others, even allies.
Prep a ceremony where the arrested can publicly give oath to the Lyran people.
Also focus people towards the remaining threats.

A little velvet glove to go with iron Steiner fist.

Parole. However for elected officials that might be a very bad precedent.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #977 on: 09 October 2020, 15:41:55 »

I dunno. There are those of the arrested who have actually actively conspired with Victor already, and those who sympathies merely run in that direction. Release the latter until their trial, and advise them that the way they vote from now on will be used as evidence in their trials.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

thtadthtshldntb

• Sergeant
« Reply #978 on: 09 October 2020, 16:22:23 »
I dunno. There are those of the arrested who have actually actively conspired with Victor already, and those who sympathies merely run in that direction. Release the latter until their trial, and advise them that the way they vote from now on will be used as evidence in their trials.

Conspiracy to do what? Its only a conspiracy if it violates some law. These IS states are far less federalist that people think.

The LA was definitely collapsing prior to Adam's return, and even now, is vulnerable to external military forces if Victor does not back them.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #979 on: 09 October 2020, 16:33:10 »
Conspiracy to do what? Its only a conspiracy if it violates some law. These IS states are far less federalist that people think.

The LA was definitely collapsing prior to Adam's return, and even now, is vulnerable to external military forces if Victor does not back them.

They want to depose Hanse, the legitimate ruler of the LA, with Victor. As has been repeatedly pointed out, that is high treason. I cannot understand why some people STILL do not think Adam is justified in doing something about it.
-Frederick the Great

EAGLE 7

• Sergeant
« Reply #980 on: 09 October 2020, 17:05:39 »

BillyBoy ..... elected officials are not held accountable far to often......Picket fences are BS.

Your thinking like a USA lawyer..... not sure innocent until proven guilty applies in Lyran law.

Think more Common Wealth law or, UCMJ.... guilty until proven innocent is my guess since that is more European style law.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

VensersRevenge

• Master Sergeant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #981 on: 09 October 2020, 17:34:27 »
Uhh... Commonwealth Law created the presumption of innocence. Try Continental Law. And German Law has presumption of innocence too.
"In a criminal trial the standard of proof is similar to the one in civil matters: the court must be convinced beyond reasonable doubt. The benefit of any doubt goes to the accused."
https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/w-007-7132?transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true&comp=pluk&bhcp=1

And if I were defending the nobles, I would be happy to make the argument that because the secession of the Lyran Alliance was illegal, they owe their duties to the rightful Archon-Prince, Victor Steiner-Davion.
...Is this just fantasy?
Playing in Kingston Ontario
Message if you want to organize a game

Dave Talley

• Captain
« Reply #982 on: 09 October 2020, 20:18:58 »
the UCMJ was mentioned, virtually all these nobles are officers,
even if reserve their oaths are still in effect
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

thtadthtshldntb

• Sergeant
« Reply #983 on: 09 October 2020, 22:19:24 »
They want to depose Hanse, the legitimate ruler of the LA, with Victor. As has been repeatedly pointed out, that is high treason. I cannot understand why some people STILL do not think Adam is justified in doing something about it.

And some of them want out of what they see as a sinking ship before it drags them down. And some of them never wanted to leave the FC but were forced to by the way Victor split it.

Its a much more complex situation than people think it is. Had the LA not begun falling apart from almost the moment of the split, things might be different.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #984 on: 09 October 2020, 22:54:22 »
Adam should have done the JJ You're serious? laugh at Kell threatening him with Heimdall given how utterly useless they are by this point in time.

As for charges of treason, I've gone over again why Adam was way out of line arresting the people who were canvasing for Victors return because they did absoloutly nothing wrong as members of the Estates Generals having that debate, so I won't go over it again. But I'll note that even putting aside the legalities of the issue, the simple fact is that Adam is clearly NOT a politician, nor is he smart enough to GET a number of political advisors around him to help him with his decision making. And its going to probably cost the Lyran Alliance a great deal.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2020, 22:56:22 by Chris OFarrell »

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #985 on: 09 October 2020, 23:19:08 »
From what I can understand, the conversation boiled down to this:

Adam: We can't have high government officials taking orders from foreign rulers. They will be investigated as per due process.

Kell: ****** due process. Release them now or my friends get mad.

Atlan

• Sergeant
« Reply #986 on: 09 October 2020, 23:38:52 »

Adam: We can't have high government officials taking orders from foreign rulers. They will be investigated as per due process.

Kell: Lapdog! That's wolf-racisim! How dare you use that dirty word! I'm gonna ignore the fact that you pointed out that we are loyal to a foreign power and storm off in a huff because you used the wrong word to point it out!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #987 on: 10 October 2020, 03:03:07 »

That´s pretty much it. Billy Boy has made it clear that this is a romp. And "romp" apparently means that anyone who is not Victor must binge on the stupid pills, and that anyone not doing what is best for Victor is a bad guy.
-Frederick the Great

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #988 on: 10 October 2020, 06:22:42 »
BillyBoy ..... elected officials are not held accountable far to often......Picket fences are BS.

Your thinking like a USA lawyer..... not sure innocent until proven guilty applies in Lyran law.

Think more Common Wealth law or, UCMJ.... guilty until proven innocent is my guess since that is more European style law.

Nah I'm thinking like a Scottish lawyer... :p And I have literally in court stated that my client is "innocent until proven guilty"... So trust me. It's a thing in Scotland too.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #989 on: 11 October 2020, 16:40:28 »
what Adam needs, is a verdict.  Basically, his position is that the Rule of Law is actually a 'thing'...a thing that exists.  effectively he's got a multipronged problem here, in that he can't afford to make it apply to a national hero. (Morgan Kell) directly, anyway, because that's how you start a bloody civil war and get conquered by the Clans.

but if he sets the precedent, and the men go to trial, and regardless of outcome, the trial is held, evidence submitted, testimony taken and so on, then he puts a stitch in to hold the nation together as a nation instead of a collection of warlords.

ESPECIALLY if the pressure being applied is also made public, and everyone sees that he stood up to it to protect the rule of law from privileged men, even famous men, who wished it to not be so for their benefit and the benefit of their desires.

The Lyran State is infamous for its nepotism and corruption, the term 'social general' has a basis in the reality of how things have been done at the upper levels of that nation, and how many of those things violate the stated ethics OF that nation.

Ethics which, Adam appears to actually subscribe to and believe in.

He didn't jail them for thinking thoughts, he jailed them for actions.  Those actions NEED to face a court, to be brought out before the people, and judged on their merits alone, he NEEDS to prove that no man is above the law now-if he folds?

then some men are above the law, respect for the law suffers, and another hole in national identity is made.
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

Register