Register Register

Author Topic: War is a grave.  (Read 58311 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: War is a grave.
« Reply #330 on: 04 December 2021, 10:07:46 »
Berserkers would at least be 3-dimensional space threats.  I am thinking sentient cosmic strings, artificial lovecraftian entities, dark matter entities, or infectious KF threads that overload the KF core when it is used.

Oh, and they can move FTL.

....Again....?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #331 on: 04 December 2021, 11:36:39 »
And yet, whatever they are the SLDF was built to fight it.  A very conventional military... unless it's all a shell game for another force...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #332 on: 04 December 2021, 14:54:30 »
And yet, whatever they are the SLDF was built to fight it.  A very conventional military... unless it's all a shell game for another force...

My first impression was Ur-Quan style alien. But are they Kzer-Za or Khor-Ah?

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #333 on: 04 December 2021, 15:34:02 »
At Cannonshop's request, I present stats for Ahn McCoy:

Anh McCoy (age 43)

Physical Description:
Height: 1.6763 M (~5' 6")
Weight: 63.5 KG (~140 lbs)
Hair: Reddish brown (auburn), worn cut to jawline (so-called 'Helmet-cut' regulation hairstyle)
Complexion: Pale
Eyes: Green
Ethnicity: Arlunan Hillfolk/caucasian-ish

Examiner's note:
McCoy is a highly effective Naval officer in the mold of 'unexpectedly successful' recruits from non-traditional backgrounds revealed under the Naval Reform program begun in 3143.

Awards:

McKennsy 'Crowbar' Medal for Naval officers, with cluster-stampings
Platinum Earring: Sole survivor of a vessel lost in combat
Spacer's Medal of Merit (3x)
Nicole Minh Pocketwatch: has successfully navigated a short-duration jump point under 60 seconds' duration in a combat environment
Campaign Award: "Barbary Seas"
Commonwealth Medal of Merit
'Sunburn' Medal: Surviving close proximity to a thermonuclear exchange
Campaign Medal: Falcon Slayer (with clusters)

Anh C. McCoy is considered a 'warship ace' with service on three extant classes of compact-core vessels in her career, and is set to be assigned to command LCS Carmilla Marsden (Marsden Class Cruiser) at the completion of her present assignment to LCN Special Operations Group (Advanced Mathematics and Modeling department).

AToW Stats (using the aging rules):
Code: [Select]
Modules:
Affiliation: Lyran/Coventry Province
Early Childhood: Back Woods (Arluna)
Late Childhood: High School (Arluna)
Higher Education: Intelligence Operative Training (Coast Guard; Basic Training and Police Officer fields)
Real Life: To Serve and Protect (Coast Guard)
Higher Education: Military Academy (Coast Guard; Basic Training (Naval), Ship's Crew, and Pilot/WarShip fields)
Higher Education: OCS (Coast Guard; Officer field)
Real Life: Tour of Duty (Coast Guard, spread across tours throughout her career)
Real Life: Civilian Job (Coast Guard, spread across tours throughout her career)
Real Life: Civilian Job (Coast Guard, spread across tours throughout her career)

Attributes
STR 4
BOD 5
DEX 4
RFL 4
INT 7
WIL 7
CHA 4
EDG 1

Traits:
Rank 9 (O-6; Cannonshop has the proper title)
Connections 5 (1/4 days, +2 on the roll, Information: 5, Wealth: 4, Equipment: 3, People: 2)
Equipped 3
Wealth 1
Compulsion/Hatred of clans -1
Reputation -1
In For Life -3 (Coast Guard)
Enemy -6 (one or more enemies that add up to -6; I'm sure Cannonshop will elaborate when appropriate)

Skills Level (Target Number)
Protocol/Lyran 7 (1)
Administration 6 (0)
Leadership 6 (1)
Computers 5 (3)
Martial Arts 5 (3)
Navigation/K-F Jump 5 (1)
Navigation/Space 5 (1)
Tactics/Space 5 (2)
MedTech 4 (2)
Small Arms 4 (3)
Zero-G Operations 4 (3)
Interest/Coventry Province 4 (3)
Career/Ship's Crew 4 (2)
Driving/Ground 4 (4)
Negotiation 4 (4)
Career/Soldier 3 (3)
Navigation/Ground 3 (3)
Perception 3 (3)
Melee Weapons 3 (4)
Streetwise/Lyran 3 (5)
Sensor Operations 3 (3)
Interest/Military History 3 (4)
Communications/Conventional 2 (4)
Acting 2 (6)
Technician/Mechanical 1 (7)
Strategy 1 (6)
Training 1 (7)
Career/Police 1 (5)
Language/Spanish 1 (6)
Interest/Butchering 1 (6)
Swimming 1 (6)
Gunnery/Spacecraft 1 (7)
Interrogation 1 (7)
Investigation 1 (6)
Tactics/Infantry 1 (6)
Language/English 0 (7)
Language/Vietnamese 0 (7)
Language/German 0 (7)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #334 on: 05 December 2021, 04:33:24 »
Gibbs Naval Yard, Lyran Commonwealth...

"It's bigger than I expected." Sharon said, "We're going to be able to crew them?"

There were three floating in final fitting docks.  The Marsden II was a big ship, though still smaller than a Frederick Steiner class, the new cruisers were well into 'Battle cruiser' territory if you used the SLDF's convoluted rankings, and well and truly bigger than the original proposal.

"Yeah, if you asked me ten years ago, I'd have laughed and told you 'no way in hell', but we've had enough turnover and recruitment, and the training establishments seem to be working, so yeah, we can crew them." Emily Falcone was Sharon's 'go-to' for managing personnel, and had been for several years.

"who approved the expansion?" Sharon asked.

"That would be your boss, Roddy Steiner's office sent down some appended requirements for ground forces support." Emily said, "He got Trillian to sign off-did he go over your head?"

"He's over my head." Sharon made a sour face, "He didn't have to 'go over' it, we even argued about adding that capability to what's supposed to flag a destroyer group, but I thought we agreed on seven-fifty Kilotons mass, this is just shy of one million plus clean."

"Make something of it?" Emily asked, "I mean, as they are, they'll do the job."

"no." Sharon shook her head, "I'm sure Roddy had good reasons, I suppose I should get my own back for not letting me know-and for telling you and the staff to keep it from me.  I think I'll reassert our need for a separate, full, Marine Corps as a response...with surface action capability."

"Phase Five of your mother's outline already? I thought you told Sithers-Deen that it wouldn't happen before 3160."

"Well...we've got the transport." Sharon commented, "Eight collars and bunks for ground pounders, but that gets tricky if they're Army ground troops, we'll need the ground pounders assigned to these trained in how to survive practical naval operations in a warzone."

"I sense a wrestling for control of these." Emily cautioned.

"We'll come to some sort of agreement." Sharon said, "Clearly my idea of keeping the Navy separated from Ground forces with each minding to their own tasks has been overruled.  we'll make engine-tea from the coolant, instead of bitching about the smell, heya?"

"Ayeh Mum."

"Get these ships some officers and crew, we'll run the extra bays empty for the time being, until we've hammered it out.   You got any ideas for where to draw our Naval Marines from?"

"Coast guards in the Periphery seems likely-it's how we built our core in the first place during Barbary Seas, I'd like to float some ideas to Ordnance for what to carry."

"Such as?"

"well, how do you feel about Land/Air 'mechs?"

"Oh, ****** no." Sharon shook her head, "No, get with Procurement and find me some good mobile 'mechs, but forget that overcomplicated shit. They're mediocre to poor in every role historically, it's like trying to make a fighter that is also a troop transport and a submarine.  get me good fighters and a decent all-conditions dropship to hang off it for the gropos."

"Ayeh Mum, we'll talk with procurement...how're you going to negotiate with Roderick to get the stuff?"

"Vigorously." Sharon stated.  "I will vigorously negotiate...speaking of which, it's been a fun week, Em, but I have to get back to the office-get your cruisers to their squadrons."

"Ayeh mum."

Eight Days later, Tharkad system...

Angry sex is still fun.  "you okay?" Sharon asked him after.

"I'm used to the bruising." he said in reply, "Are you ready to admit I'm right?"

"no." Sharon propped up on an elbow, regarding him, "You're wrong, but I forgive you."

"Women!"

she laughed and hit him in the face with a pillow. "MEN!!"

"I'll tell you what, I Like the idea of an integrated ground-forces component for the Navy."  he began.  "it makes sense, it offers some options we've been overlooking."

"Fair.  I'm not entirely opposed to arming troop transports with serious weaponry either, the Marsden II's could be chopped to LCAF ground forces entirely as part of the Transport command..."

"I don't think that's a good idea." Roderick told her, "I do think it's a good idea to get the two services working together more closely, and develop a more integrated land/air/space doctrine."

"That makes training more complex, also makes logistics and everything else more complicated." Sharon noted, "The mission profiles are too different, it's why we've been successful running things as two separate services under one umbrella."

"We'll get more flexibility if we have at least some crossover." he stated, "Besides...you realize I haven't been chasing tail since we started having these...meetings?"

"Shame on you.  Neglecting your duty to the realm and forcing poor Trillian into a corner!" she rolled her eyes.  "This is supposed to be casual, Roddy."

"Is it casual for you though?" he asked.

Sharon hesitated, then she dropped back on the bed. "No."

"Same here.  You ruined me, woman." he stroked her chin, then slid his fingers along her neck, and turned her face to face his.  "We're serious about this...about us."

She sighed, "Looks like it."

"There's an easy answer." he told her.  "Solves Trill's problem, and makes sense for you and me.  at this point, have you seen what your net worth is?"

"Nope."

"I have, so it makes political sense too."

"Fraternization regs." She said flatly.

"Would you accept a civilian position?" he asked.

"Made the Navy my life." She told him.

"You'll still be in charge." Roderick told her.  "How does 'Secretary of the Navy' sound?"

"Like endless work." she said.  "Would I have to still do all the qualifications?"

"You'll be a civilian official." he told her, "Cabinet level-you'll actually be doing the same job, and whoever you put as CNO below you can focus on the parts you actually care about, instead of being interrupted by Estates General hassle.  Trillian wanted me to breach the idea with you."

"GHA! Roderick!!"

"Hey, if you're a civilian, then you won't be breaking the regs you so aggressively put in force when you say 'yes'." he told her, "we can be serious in public."

"Tempting..." Sharon sighed.  "You devil of a man."

"Is that yes yet? because I'm good at getting 'yes'."

She kissed his forehead, "I'll think about it."

"here, let me demonstrate some of the benefits..."
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #335 on: 05 December 2021, 04:49:17 »
[out of story]

Yes, I've been setting this up for a while, and yeah, it's absolutely NOTHING like the Canon here, but I couldn't resist the idea that the General of the Armies has a girlfriend who can beat up an Elemental Bouncer.

well, Fiancé, anyway.

the scary part is, getting the "Steiner Jokes" from such a pairing.  I mean, Lyrans are known for loving to ride big things, and Sharon Elizabeth Roshak Ngo, Duchess of Spider Moon in the Kowloon system is...big, and physically powerful, an Atlas of a Gal, even.

but there's the rejoinder there too; "It takes a Steiner, to satisfy a Ngo", or maybe "You have to be THIS BIG to ride this ride", take your pick, whatever squicks you out the least.

enough with the off-colour humour? well, we'll keep it PG-13.

Politically, this eases a load for Trillian-at least, if they're 'fruitful and multiply' in the vein of obtaining an Heir.  Those of you with experience reading my stuff, know that I'm dreadful when I try to write romance type material-but romance is part of the human condition.

People, meet other people, who then together make more people.

It's human nature.

Those of you imagining Trillian Steiner-(davion) in a certain pose, with the caption 'All according to my master plan' are dead right.  She's been throwing these two at each other since first meeting, in keeping with that axiom of rule that says:

"A mediocre ruler manipulates relationships that benefit their rule; a Great ruler determines those relationships and assumes them into being."

Trillian DID assume this one into being.

[out of story]
« Last Edit: 05 December 2021, 04:57:53 by Cannonshop »

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #336 on: 05 December 2021, 06:55:21 »
At this point, I could see Sharon resorting to a canister...  She has too much to DO to take time off for kids.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #337 on: 05 December 2021, 06:56:34 »
Lyran Commonwealth Naval Weapons center...

"..come take a lookit this'n, Doc."  Anh McCoy crossed her arms.  "Firs' reactions?"

"Huh...that's...funny." Doktor of Physics Clarissa Ngo frowned as she looked at the results, "It doesn't match, does it?"

"Not no way at-all." Anh commented, "You'uns gon' hefta revise 'nother string in th' equations to 'count for et, ah cogitate."

"Yeah, something isn't matching." the younger woman, and current managing director for the department of 'special operations' for the Lyran Commonwealth Navy, prodded, "You've already re-checked the arrays and sensors?"

"Ayeh.  This here don' match th' archive info a-tall."

"Okay, so they gave everyone bad data." Clarissa said bitterly, "So...what can account for this variation, but still account for the phenomenas we're using day to day?"  she had a habit of speaking a bit slower than her brain was actually working, and asking questions out-loud sometimes prompted inspiration with the team in the hyperspace topology department.

"Yo' grandmama's hypothesis fits." Anh told her, "All y'all gots to do, is change these three variables an' change the constant to a variable."

"but what..?"

Anh picked up a modified 'sippy cup' and spat tobacco juice into the collector.  "Ah reckon we's lookin et what th' missin' nineteenth postulate war a'sposed to accant foah."

"it's a place to start, anyway."  Falke commented from her terminal, "we've got fragmentary from that trade with that Folk ship a few years ago..."

"The storybooks?" Clarissa asked.

"Ayeh Mum.  Those storybooks had partial equations, if you strain out the usual navigation equations and the common parts, you still have a bunch that look like chaff.  The Maders gave me a few when I was seven."

"Show me how you think it's arranged, Falke." Clarissa said, "use the big board, and let's see if we can relate or integrate them into the main body of what everyone is being taught."

a shape formed in Clarissa's mind as the partials went up, and the values from the latest test readings...

"They's slots raht en." McCoy said it first.

"Finagle's sweating balls..." Clarissa muttered.  "We need a way to test it."

Anh crossed her arms, "Ayeh mum...holy shit. et ain't what th' Republic did, but..."

"but these explain a lot of it." Peregrine Falke got up and looked at the displayed formulas.

"Move this one here-" Clarissa said, "and invert the sigma value...whoo...that's serious stuff."

"Ah gots an aidea."  a string of additional equations appeared as Anh entered her 'idea'.

"change this one to a positive value." Peregrine said, "do you know what we're looking at?"

"might be worth killing someone over." Clarissa commented.  "I saw something like this in one of mom's notebooks.  she was trying to figure out what could take down the whole HPG network."

"This'n do more'n thet."

"yeah. it would." Clarissa commented.  "Holy ******."

"Ah sed it'd be funneh."

"So how do we test it?" Clarissa asked.

"Talk to the guys at Snark? see if they gots any idears."  Anh suggested, "Ah cogitate they'd be on et."

"Grandmother once said, 'if it can be invented, it will be'." Clarissa commented.  "What's Gordo working on out there?"

"Alcubierre's stuff...which..."

"It's contiguous." Clarissa said, "I remember Mom used to use Alcubierre's material as a bonus question for her graduating seniors."

"I think we can modify something to check this." Falke commented, "We've got a couple of those old 'black boxes' that stopped working right, we can turn them into recievers with a little work, should be able to detect this...if it's there."

"yah...******, you know I'm going to have to write a report on this now?" Clarissa commented.

"Let's see if we can put together a detector and parse it, first, this could still be a blind alley." Peregrine urged.

"Yeah, 'science is about disproving the false to find the truth', okay, so how do we disprove it?" Clarissa asked, adding, "Who do we get to test it and tell us we're wrong?"

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #338 on: 05 December 2021, 07:09:33 »
Terran Hegemony, Star League, Comstar, and Republic lied about K-F stuff. Shocking, really.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #339 on: 05 December 2021, 08:54:55 »
The question, of course, is why?

What did they find out and what don't they want anyone else to discover again?

Because this has been over too long for any one person's ego to be behind it. The only explanation I can think of is fear.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #340 on: 05 December 2021, 10:41:22 »
The question, of course, is why?

What did they find out and what don't they want anyone else to discover again?

Because this has been over too long for any one person's ego to be behind it. The only explanation I can think of is fear.
At this point, the Terran Alliance, Terran Hegemony, Star League, Comstar, WOB, and Republic of the Sphere give me the same vibes the Colonial Union from Old Man's War does.

They justify their various atrocities as necessary for  for humanity's survival. In reality, it turns out that not only are they unnecessary, despite what initially seem like some pretty decent justifications, they're actively harmful.

At this point, I think it has shades of anthrochauvinism.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #341 on: 05 December 2021, 17:44:28 »
"...we heard about the Lyran naval build-up, but those rumours did not concern us-up to the point that we found out they had retaken the Jade Falcon occupation zone in a come-from behind victory.  That was the point that we started to take the rumours seriously, but information was still quite sketchy, with some claims straining credulity, and others we thought to be outright fabrications.  It is not unreasonable to presume that the Lyrans may have found a cache of warships, or salvaged warships from lost battle sites in their territory, and that was what we assumed initially.

We were wrong. It was something of a shock to discover HOW wrong."

-Iqbal Lankeneau, SaKhan, Clan Snow Raven.

"At the end of the Jihad, the Republic of the Sphere inherited most of the mothball warships left behind because the Word of Blake couldn't crew them, their official numbers suggested a ninety-one warship fleet was still in mothball.  The Uniform Naval Treaty was, in part, enforced by the threat that those mothball vessels would be reactivated to service-and presented a radically superior force compared to every other national faction or Clan present in the Inner Sphere.  They represented the 'stick' to the Republic's 'carrot', because while the Republic only kept a handful of warships active-mostly ships that participated in the war, the existence of the mothball fleets implied an extant naval power capable of fighting everyone else's combined fleet in terms of firepower if it were reactivated.  I think this explains a lot about why Peter, and later Adam, were willing to abide the treaties, even though they dug us all deeper into that deficit, the nation was tired of war, after being everyone else's battleground from the Clan era onward right to the end of the Jihad.  In a sense, Gray Monday, and the erection of Fortress Republic, were the best favours Devlin Stone could have done us, because it freed us to act for the first time in generations..."

-Ngo-Steiner, Sharon Elizabeth Roshak
"Assessing the impacts of political realities on the formation of the Lyran Commonwealth Navy".

"We hadn't just forgotten things.  There were things mankind never learned before on our own."

-Doktor-Professor Anh McCoy,
"Hyperspace: Topology and environment"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #342 on: 05 December 2021, 18:22:07 »
You can't keep secrets on a ship for shit.

"Hey Y'all Mike."  Liz Mac (Elizabeth MacAulliffe) was almost a decade older than Michael Hogarth.  Among nobles, that's practically a peer in terms of age, if not social standing.

"Hey Liz."  Michael's new rank pins hadn't started feeling 'heavy' yet.  The alterations of 'the new navy' included going back to wet-naval hierarchies that had been largely abandoned before the Star League, thus, instead of a senior Kommandant (Promotable) Mike was a full-blown Commander.

"Ooh, studying?" she sat down across from him, as he turned a page.

"Brain's a muscle too, sort of." he said, "You build it by reading." he glanced up,  "I heard a rumour they're moving you to Heligolad as a staff tour before you frock to Admiral."

"Don't believe it." She said, "I'm here as part of the review boards, picking Cruiser drivers."

"Huh, funny you mention that. I just finished standing in front of nine of the Commonwealth's senior officers, it felt like I was a middie looking for a berth."

"phase one." she grinned, "how do you think you did?"

"Bolo'ed some of the questions." he said, "I expect I didn't score high enough for further promotion, but they might let me have an XO slot."

"bolo'ed?" she asked.

"Yeah, I didn't have the answers immediately." he stated, "I told them I'd consult my staff officers in the scenario. I'm not sure that went over too well, and I'm pretty sure I got the official rules for first contacts wrong...which I did, right here, section 124 of the regulation, paragraph nine."

"Your answer was, and I quote, 'I'd have to ask my Judge Advocate officer'." she observed.

"yeah.  Pretty sure I ****** up there, didn't tell-wait, how would you know that? I didn't see you in there?"

"observation room." she said, and handed him a packet from her pocket.  "LCS Linda Marsden, BC-102, you're in my battlegroup, look over your officer candidates and pick your command staff-the Admirals make recommendations, but it's Group Commanders who pick the bodies this time. You've got a couple weeks, so tonight, you'll be attending a ceremonial for getting frocked to a Captaincy, bring your liver, because it needs to be punished with alcohol-and you'll get to meet your peers."

"Ayeh Mum." he said, accepting the orders packet.

"Congratulations on scoring second out of forty candidates, Mike." she told him, "Lynn Deen is going to be be proud of you."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #343 on: 05 December 2021, 19:32:03 »
Royal Palace, Tharkad...

Clarissa showed her identicard to the gate guards, and that got her conducted right up to the Archon's residential levels.  "Holy shit." she said.

Her Cousin Sharon, who was more like an Aunt, wasn't wearing a uniform.  "you made it!!"

"made what? I've been parsing measurements for-I've got a report!!" Clarissa blurted.

"Franz, this is Doktor-Professor Clarissa Ngo, could you get Magda and Therese here to get her measurements please?" Sharon spoke to a nervous man whose picture occasionally shows up in Tharkad's fashion magazines often enough that even Clarissa recognized him.

"Jawohl, if you will-"

"what's going on?"

"I'm getting married." Sharon explained, "You're in the bridal party, didn't you get the invitation?"

"I was Busy!! This is important!"

"Yes it is, of course it is-Franz, let's wait on that.  You're not here for that, are you, Clara?"

Clarissa shook her head.  "I need to see the Archon." she said.

"Then let's go bother Trillian." Sharon said sagely, "Franz, you've got my measurements now, and we've got time, this is business."

The Archon herself wasn't so busy with preparations she didn't have time.  "Sharon! if Roderick sees you-"

"Relax, he's at the office." Sharon said, "Special Ops has a report and if it's enough of an emergency for Clarissa to make the trip from the outer system to Tharkad in person, it might be worth your time, Highness."

"alright, Doctor, what's so important? wait, let me get prepared in case you've uncovered something shattering..." Trillian shifted her desktop and leaned forward.  "Alright, what is it?"

"Highness, I'm pretty sure of this, we've run extensive experiments and it's been verified by another source, but..." Clara hesitated, "Yeah, I'm not sure how to present this...it has to do with KF theory, and I know y ou don't have the background, even with Aunt Sharon helping...but the upshot is, We're pretty sure of something."

"Which is?"

"we can do more than just jump ships around or send messages." Clarissa stated.  "We know how the Republic's 'fortress' works, and they're going to run out of jump cores soon if they don't take it down themselves...and we think we've got a few applications that it doesn't make sense nobody used."

"a few?"

"I don't think, Highness, that anyone, including the Terrans, have been operating with a complete set of the field equations." Clarissa stated.

"I think we need to have a look at your presentation, Clara." Sharon said, "Because that doesn't make sense to me, either.  Give me the full rundown, and take your time, Trill, if you want to stick around??"

"I want to see this."Trillian acknowledged.

"Alright..." Clarissa unpacked a holoplayer, and set it up in the Archon's office.

"huh." Trillian sat back, "you've confirmed these?"

"Yes Majesty." Clarissa said, "We've confirmed it twice, and the fabrication department built a small prototype, which is being copied over at the U of Nha Tranh Snark IV facility.  how did anyone miss this?"

"That's a question for the ages." Sharon commented, "But it works?"

"Well, when we put it in a fighter with accelerometers and ran through flight testing, the instruments registered it as being stationary, so yeah. we just broke Newton."

"No, you just broke Einstein." Sharon corrected.  "and it's based on these speculative functions you were using to extrapolate with KF math?"

"yeah...we think we might be able to address gravitation as well, but that's going to need refining the theory-my point is, why didn't anyone see this before? the principles are necessary to keep everything in a jumpship from becoming a red smear, because hyperspace transitions aren't-"

"Aren't truly instantaneous. I know." Sharon commented, "You got this small enough to fit in a fighter?"

"Well, we built the first prototypes off a couple of old black boxes." Clarissa said, "Using the housings and some of the components, plus some parts based on the rest of the maths we were using to fill holes in KF theory for the HPG projects and the basic research we were doing to try and figure out how Stone built his wall."

Sharon and Trillian exchanged looks.  "This doesn't get you out of the bridal party." Trillian announced, "you're still coming to the bachelorette Party, and you're still getting fitted for a dress...but yes, this is, in fact, very significant.  after the party you can tell me how much more budget you need to see this through."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #344 on: 05 December 2021, 19:48:44 »
"We hadn't just forgotten things.  There were things mankind never learned before on our own."

-Doktor-Professor Anh McCoy,
"Hyperspace: Topology and environment"

Secret history of the KF drive, humanity really learned how to make jump drives from the remains of a 150,000 year old colonial raptor found buried underground.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #345 on: 05 December 2021, 19:49:02 »
Yes, I'd say that's VERY significant!  :o

kioras

• Sergeant
« Reply #346 on: 05 December 2021, 20:04:24 »
We have to now wait for the reveal that was worth suppressing scientific inquiry for almost a full millennium.

And the reasons why simply doing so instead of preparing humanity to face it was a superior choice.

For all humanity instead of those on the big chair using it to validate that they are the only ones who can be trusted on that chair.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #347 on: 05 December 2021, 20:10:11 »
Stone is going to be surprised they figured it out already...  ^-^

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #348 on: 05 December 2021, 21:26:23 »
I suspect that some of these other uses are detectable at ranges in the thousands to tens of thousands of light-years, and that once there was confirmation of the alien nanotech berserker FTL probes, knowledge of those theories or that could lead to those theories was suppressed with extreme prejudice.
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

smdvogrin

• Private
« Reply #349 on: 06 December 2021, 09:12:02 »
"Well, when we put it in a fighter with accelerometers and ran through flight testing, the instruments registered it as being stationary, so yeah. we just broke Newton."

Hmmm, inertia-less drives?  If this is a surprise Starfire crossover, I'll be really impressed... :)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #350 on: 06 December 2021, 11:13:44 »
<<<<<<<<<<Diplomatic Communique >>>>>>>>>>>

TO: Kurita, Yori (Draconis Combine), Davion, Julian (Federated Suns), Marik, Nicole (Free Worlds League), Liao, Daoshen (Capellan Confederation), Liao-Centrella (Magistracy of Canopus), Doru, Kaff (Taurian Concordat)

RE: In celebration of the defeat of Clan Jade Falcon and the liberation of worlds held under their control...

and in light of the Republic of the Sphere's recent request for a conference to restore the Republic Naval Treaty of 3086, and in light of the fact you've already been invited to come to Tharkad to participate in talks regarding that treaty, and knowing that some of you are at war with others on this list.

We have a lot to talk about, especially in light of the Republic's abrogation of their responsibilities as Mediator between realms.  On the agenda, will be information critical to all of our realms, their past, present, and future.  Refreshments will, of course, be provided, please forward any special requests and for those of you whom feel less than safe dining at my table, have your tasters handy along with a minimum of four body-guards from your respective realms.

This will be a closed meeting, The Republic is not invited, though I would not dream of trying to forbid you to speak with them after-you may find many of the issues to be presented worth asking hard questions of the Republic's  representatives and leadership afterward.

I will reiterate for those unfamiliar with the Lyran Commonwealth's present diplomatic and military posture, that I, the Archon Trillian Steiner-Davion, do hereby vacate and repudiate any claim to the office of 'First lord of the Star League'.  My intent for my nation is expansion outward and away from Old Terra, and therefore we have adopted a position of neutrality in the conflicts among the various successor states and old periphery states, Facilities for discussion regarding the ending of your current conflicts will be provided as you see fit to use them, and the Lyran Commonwealth stands ready to act as moderator and host for any peace negotiations your nations may wish to pursue.

That said, I'd appreciate it if you listened to the presentations we have prepared before making any decisions regarding peace negotiations.

Contained in the files at the end of this message, is routing information from each of your realms to the meeting site that will allow you to arrive before the Republic Delegation.  This is not to form a 'secret treaty', but simply to allow you to see what we've got without interference.

It is, in my opinion, worth it for each of you.

-Trillian Steiner
Archon, Lyran Commonwealth.

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #351 on: 06 December 2021, 11:19:38 »
Ordering a big box of popcorn and cleaning the comfy sofa. The spectacle is going to begin.

kioras

• Sergeant
« Reply #352 on: 06 December 2021, 11:41:23 »
Most of the realms have little true love for the Republic.  The republic has no one to blame but themselves when they crashed the HPG and failed to honor their own treaties.

Why reup with the treaty when you can’t trust them to follow it.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #353 on: 06 December 2021, 12:02:51 »
<<<<<<<<<<Diplomatic Communique >>>>>>>>>>>
I will reiterate for those unfamiliar with the Lyran Commonwealth's present diplomatic and military posture, that I, the Archon Trillian Steiner-Davion, do hereby vacate and repudiate any claim to the office of 'First lord of the Star League'.  My intent for my nation is expansion outward and away from Old Terra, and therefore we have adopted a position of neutrality in the conflicts among the various successor states and old periphery states, Facilities for discussion regarding the ending of your current conflicts will be provided as you see fit to use them, and the Lyran Commonwealth stands ready to act as moderator and host for any peace negotiations your nations may wish to pursue.

That said, I'd appreciate it if you listened to the presentations we have prepared before making any decisions regarding peace negotiations.

-Trillian Steiner
Archon, Lyran Commonwealth.

I must say - after reading this - why never before any ruler of the IS said this. Of course nobody will believe her - BUT space is BIG! (and the prestige: I am the BIG BOSS!!!)
The DC alone could expand away from the FS and LC for - how many lightyears till the edge of the milkyway galaxy?

We are in the Orion Spur. Expanding towards the edge we have the Perseus Arm and the Outer Arm. We are talking millions of planets.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #354 on: 06 December 2021, 13:40:32 »
Yes, but then House Davion and House Steiner would still have planets, which is clearly unacceptable. Now go cut your belly open so that your children don't ask stupid questions.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #355 on: 06 December 2021, 15:22:09 »
I must say - after reading this - why never before any ruler of the IS said this. Of course nobody will believe her - BUT space is BIG! (and the prestige: I am the BIG BOSS!!!)
The DC alone could expand away from the FS and LC for - how many lightyears till the edge of the milkyway galaxy?

We are in the Orion Spur. Expanding towards the edge we have the Perseus Arm and the Outer Arm. We are talking millions of planets.

Even better, the FedSuns and FWL are Edgeward of Terra, so the Lyrans and Draconis can expand towards the core of the Milky Way where there are far more stars (territory) available.

As a comparison, the Milky Way galaxy is ~100,000 light-years wide, and Sol is ~25,000 ly from the center.  So going from Sol to the closest edge is ~25,000 light-years (aka the direction the FWL, CapCon, and FedSuns would expand), while the Lyrans and Draconis could expand as much as 75,000 light-years.  The Clans are trying to take Terra, so the Lyrans and Dracs can just expand around them.

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #356 on: 06 December 2021, 15:22:51 »
But then they might run into the Kilrathi...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #357 on: 06 December 2021, 17:54:16 »
Remember that all four major houses can expand either east and west of Sol, and can go circularily around the Core.
Also as one moves toward the Core, you start entering increasing radiation fields due to the Core Stars and Black Holes.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

MattV

• Recruit
« Reply #358 on: 06 December 2021, 18:49:33 »
The edge of the Inner Sphere is only 1% of the way to the outer galactic core.  Hell, even the Clan Homeworlds are about 5% of the way.  There is plenty of room to expand.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #359 on: 06 December 2021, 20:34:57 »
Also by Author request:

Michael Hogarth (age 36)

Physical Description:
Height: 1.75 Meters tall (~5' 9")
Weight: 100 Kilograms (220 pounds; heavy build, family propensity toward obesity, though he keeps it under control through rigorous exercise)
Complexion: Pale
Hair: Blonde (Hair buzz-cut and partially shaven to a rigid High-and-tight style)
Eyes: Blue

Kapitan Hogarth participated in the Falcon War as a Cutter commander in the III Corps area (coreward/antispinward front), as part of Cutter Division IV, 2nd Patrol, Ship 3 LCS Jennifer Nghien.  His gunnery logs show 23 engagements, 18 dropship kills, 4 Jumpships, and an assisted Lola III kill.   (While Hogarth submitted his gunnery officer, and gunner's mates, as well as helmsman, for awards related to this action, what is notable is his submitting a recommendation that the other cutter's commander be recognized with the kill credit; review by LCN Inspector General's office indicated Hogarth's ship was the one that fired the fatal blow).

Examiner's note:
For a rather conventional Lyran Noble background, Kapitan Hogarth tends to lapse into Belter or Rokkajakkah terminology, and in his youth he apprenticed on a ship of The Folk, a collection of stateless spacers.

AToW Stats (using the aging rules):
Code: [Select]
Modules:
Affiliation: Lyran/Bolan Province
Early Childhood: Nobility
Late Childhood: Military School (Navy-related, spent a year aboard ship)
Real Life: Explorer
Higher Education: Military Academy (LCN; Basic Training (Naval), Pilot/Dropship and Pilot/WarShip fields)
Higher Education: OCS (LCN; Officer field)
Real Life: Tour of Duty (LCN, spread across tours throughout his career)
Real Life: Civilian Job (LCN, spread across tours throughout his career)

Attributes
STR 4
BOD 4
DEX 4
RFL 4
INT 7
WIL 4
CHA 4
EDG 1

Traits:
Rank 9 (O-6; Kapitan)
Wealth 5