Register Register

Author Topic: What Could Go Wrong  (Read 61207 times)

2ndAcr

• Captain
Re: What Could Go Wrong
« Reply #510 on: 30 September 2022, 18:25:53 »
7 April 3042
Inner End (Federated Commonwealth)

It was early evening local time. Leftenant Colonel David Mitchell had met with his immediate Command Group and gone over First Prince Hanse Davion's offer. There had been no objections nor suggestions, but a bunch of "your the boss, whatever you decide is fine with us" answers. He broke us the quick meeting so that everyone could return to the massive number of tasks that needed to be accomplished. He went directly to the dining facility since he already knew that was where First Prince Hanse Davion and Quintus Allard were waiting for him.

"Highness. Mr Allard." He said in greeting as he took a seat at the corner table with them.

"I expect you had a meeting about my offer and the attack. First, how did they take my offer?" First Prince Hanse Davion said

"As long as your offer does not prevent us from completing our original mission set, we will do it. I am going to want that in writing Highness, no disrespect meant." Leftenant Colonel Mitchell replied

"None taken son. Looking out for your people, it is an honorable trait that is lacking in most. You have my word; our adventure will not impede your treasure hunting. I am just asking that you work my offer into your treasure hunting and if you do locate a suitable system, you let me know as soon as you can." First Prince Hanse Davion said

"On that, you do know that your secret communication device can be located when used right?" Leftenant Colonel Mitchell asked and immediately regretted it when both faces clouded slightly

"Explain that please" Quintus Allard said

"I don't know exactly what your using, but it has a long range. Travels at roughly 50LY per day by our calculations. When the message is sent, it can be detected by the ship's sensors, the same sensors can detect an arriving message. Shows up as a tiny jump signature and emergence wave. Small enough that it is doubtful anyone would detect it unless they are super close to a Jumpship or possibly a Dropship when they use it." Leftenant Colonel Mitchell replied

"Son, I like you, I really do, but you ever repeat anything about some sort of communication device outside of me or Hanse here and you will have an accident. Understand?" Quintus Allard said, his voice had token on a very unfriendly tone as he spoke.

"Crystal clear. I just thought you should know. Maybe pass on a warning to the end users to be careful where they activate it, could get them killed. And while not totally related, we are going to need a new Liaison Officer. Agent Hammel is just not cut out for what goes on out there. She thinks pirates and slavers should be treated like normal criminals or POW's. I might have to make some tough decision out there and she is going to disagree big time and that is going to be an issue." Leftenant Colonel Mitchell replied

Quintus Allard sighed "I was afraid of that. She is an excellent investigator and agent. But she has never done any wet work, always stayed on the investigative side. Do you have anyone else in mind?"

"No sir. I guess someone from the Liaison office. I know at least they will be AFFS or AFFC military. Better able to handle what might happen." Leftenant Colonel Mitchell replied

"I will see that they assign you an experienced officer as Liaison. She will return to her investigative duties with no black mark. I can always tell Justin that she completed her special task with aces if he asks." Now, help me understand this damned list. Some I can figure out on my own, but some of these are head scratchers." Quintus Allard said pulling out the equipment list he had been given.

Leftenant Colonel Mitchell looked at his own chicken scratches written on the sheets of paper.

Equipment and Personnel Needed on Return (FUSION IF POSS)

Battlemechs - Easy to repair and maintain maybe company
 Tanks - Hover, quick strike ability - Heavy, Manticore maybe company of each
 Hover APC - Large, some combat ability, at least enough to carry a company
 VTOL - recon, fast response, some combat ability maybe platoon
 Battlemech Recovery Heavy - 8
 Engineering Vehicle - 3
 Carbine Construction Mech - 4
 Kiso Construction - 2
 Geologist - 1
 Medical Teams!!! - 5
 Research Assist - 2 - High security level!!!!!!
 2nd Star Lord (??)
 Mammoth Dropship !!!!!! (1?)
 More Mules (?)
 Seeker Dropships (?)
 Sell Monarchs
 Merchant Jumpships (Sell?)
 Laser weapons for Infantry, rechargeable plus
 Everything as energy heavy as possible, lower supply needs

After looking the list over Leftenant Colonel Mitchell started explaining "We have limited cargo space, so I need to cut down our logistical needs as much as possible. I do not expect to fight an extended campaign, but I have to plan for the event happening. So, I need to cut down on fuel use, ammo needs. We will still have our normal rifles with ammo, but our primary will now be Laser based, we can recharge the power packs off any fusion plant. That list has changed after meeting a few of the new officers and getting their input.

I need to boost my engineering ability. Digging is time consuming. At the same time, a track vehicle cannot go everywhere, hence the Construction Mechs. Well, I have Mech pilots now, so now I need Battlemechs. Major Woodall suggested to Sergeant Major Pullman the Wolfhound, he has an inquiry in for some from Defiance, no answer yet. A dozen of them, I think. I have a Union Dropship now, so I can carry a company combat ready. I also have a huge personnel tail, so 4 Seeker Dropships would be perfect, the model that carries a Mech Lance each. When we are back up to strength, I will be keeping a dozen of the Striker's, they can ride a Mule down, along with most of the heavy equipment. Three Seeker to carry support etc but one Seeker will be combat loaded. We are keeping the Thunderbolt and both Thugs plus the Merlins. But I also want 9 Phoenix Hawks, the new version the Lyrans just started building.

My armor folks told me about a Hover Tank that they got to play with during the War of 39, Drillson with an ER Large laser. I want 12 of them. Two Company of Manticore. We are keeping 12 LTV-4, even though they are fuel users as backup. Sergeant Davis needs some backup, so I want some help for him, but they have to be totally trustworthy. We are playing where no one else has in a long time, I need folks to help determine what is safe, what is dangerous, for soil, water, vegetation. Geology I have learned is a big item, so I need some good folks there.

I stretched my medical team to the breaking point. Not again, I want plenty of doctors and medical staff. We are keeping 3 of the MASH Sherpa, 4 of the Sherpa Field Kitchens, 12 of the Sherpa Fuel trucks and 24 of the Sherpa Cargo trucks, 4 Sherpa HQ. I am also keeping 36 of the Turhans. The Battlemech Recovery, well that is obvious. We are keeping 4 of the Wayland Mobile bases plus a fair portion of the misc weapons and spare parts. The Lion, well I was going to keep it, but if it is not ready and repaired by the time everything is ready to go, I will sell it to you.

The Monarchs are a luxury I can no longer justify, so I need to sell them, but at a good price. I am going to keep the Union CV, I can crew it now, plus it makes for a decent Jumpship defense ship. Oh, and I want 12 Corsairs, seems I have a bunch of pilots that love that plane. Commodore Noble wants more Samurai, but I told him I cannot promise that, so Corsairs it is then. If I can find another GOOD, let me stress good, Star Lord, I might be able to sell both Merchant Jumpships, we will be keeping our Invader Jumsphip though. VTOL's well no one really has an opinion, but I do not have the fastest Battlemechs, so I think they will make good scouts. So, I throw myself on your mercy on that item. Any questions?" Leftenant Colonel Mitchell explained

"Actually, I have a ton, but they can wait until a later date. Hanse has already kept me away longer than either of should have been gone. And the sooner we are back on New Avalon, the faster we can start turning over stones working this list for you. Oh, by the way, there was a bunch of AWOL notices submitted to MIIO here, something about the local militia's entire Aerospace maintenance department vanished. Know anything about that?" Quintus Allard said

"They were instrumental in our surviving the last mission. I did not expect to be gone that long." Leftenant Colonel Mitchell replied

"I think I can handle that one, they were a special tasking of such importance that I ordered them to go on short notice. Son, you and your people have done an outstanding job finding and bringing all this back. Get a fair number together and the AFFC will take it all off your hands." First Prince Hanse Davion said with a sly smile

"Thank you, Highness, I have been too busy to think about the trouble they might be in. I think I can come up with a fair price pretty soon." Leftenant Colonel Mitchell replied

"We are boosting at dawn; I would prefer nothing be sent over HPG. I expect you already know that attracts attention. I will arrange with the MI3 folks for you to have access to communications." Quintus Allard said

"Oh yeah, who the hell attacked us?" Leftenant Colonel Mitchell asked

"Probably the same folks that did the first time. Problem is we cannot prove it." Quintus Allard said

"We have the prisoners, make them talk." Leftenant Colonel Mitchell replied

"They are dead son. Cyanide hidden in a false tooth. Suicide." Quintus Allard said
« Last Edit: 30 September 2022, 18:45:48 by 2ndAcr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #511 on: 30 September 2022, 18:37:43 »
There are still THREE unaccounted for!  Quintus at least should still be concerned about that...  8)

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #512 on: 30 September 2022, 19:19:11 »
Even if they didn't self-terminate, Quintus will never admit they live. Mitchell isn't a spook, he's Infantry. Shadow games are not his specialty, yet.  8)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #513 on: 30 September 2022, 19:29:51 »
I suspect Quintus has hopes...  ^-^

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #514 on: 30 September 2022, 20:38:38 »
That was big force.  I hope they are able to manage them.  I'm still wondering where I can find stats for Union CV, I don't think it was ever stated in canon but its canon in fluff.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #515 on: 30 September 2022, 20:53:30 »
  The stats for the union CV can be found on Mega Mek HQ.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #516 on: 30 September 2022, 21:24:27 »
  The stats for the union CV can be found on Mega Mek HQ.
They may not be canon.  It does not matter, thanks!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #517 on: 30 September 2022, 21:33:46 »
8 April 3042

An hour before dawn, Leftenant Colonel David Mitchell had delivered the proposed total to the Running Fox, First Prince Hanse Davions personal Flagship. Not wanting to wake either, he had passed it off to the Davion Heavy Guard Captain for delivery. He had then returned to the SaRI compound, they had a busy day scheduled, thousands of tons of equipment were still needing to be unloaded and delivered to the surface. The system was still on lock down and the Space Port was secured by the Kilbourne DMM.

He hoped the total would be considered fair by the First Prince.

108 Armored Personnel Carrier (MG), Small, Hover (6,000,000)
 108 Armored Personnel Carrier (MG), Small, Track (6,000,000)
 108 Armored Personnel Carrier (MG), Small, Wheel (6,000,000)
 72 Merkava MK VIII, Main Battle Tank, Track (250,000,000)
 36 Burke, Fire Support, Tank, Track (100,000,000)
 24 LTV-4, Tank, Hover (37,000,000)
 72 Condor Cavalry, Tank, Hover (90,000,000)
 72 Turhan, Tank, Wheel (85,000,000)
 4 Prometheus Combat Support, Tank, Track (4,000,000)
 36 Ballista, Artillery, Track (35,000,000)
 192 Sherpa, Cargo, Wheel (40,000,000)
 108 Sherpa, Fuel, Wheel (30,000,000)
 20 Sherpa, Kitchen, Wheel (5,000,000)
 21 Sherpa, MASH, Wheel (7,000,000)
 20 Sherpa, HQ, Wheel (9,000,000)
 24 Striker, Battlemech, Heavy (180,000,000)
 72 Wasp, Battlemech, Light (115,000,000)
 18 Wayland Mobile Base, Track (65,000,000)
 24 Vlar 300 Fusion, Crated, New (40,000,000)
 12 GM 150 Fusion, Crated, New (3,000,000)
 24 GM 120 Fusion, Crated, New (6,000,000)
 2,000 Automatic Rifle, Crated, New (4,000,000)
 12,000 Magazine Rifle, Crated, New (120,000)
 7,000 Automatic Pistol, Crated, New (3,500,000)
 23,000 Magazine Pistol, Crated, New (115,000)
 36 Chalker Model 25 PPC, Crated, New (7,000,000)
 36 Holly-10 LRM-10 Launcher, Crated, New (3,600,000)
 80 Class-5 Pontiac Autocannon, Crated, New (9,000,000)
 144 Amdecker 300 Large Laser, Crated, New (14,000,000)
 200 Ramsey-65 Machine Gun, Crated, New (1,000,000)
 144 Diverse Optics Type 2 Medium Laser, Crated, New (5,500,000)
 72 Bical SRM-2 Launcher, Crated, New (700,000)
 36 GM Whirlwind Class 5 Autocannon, Crated, New (4,500,000)
 48 Defiance B3M Medium Laser, Crated, New (1,800,000)
 48 Holly-15 LRM-15 Launcher, Crated, New (8,000,000)
 48 Holly-2 SRM-4 Launcher, Crated, New (3,000,000)
 620 SureFire MiniGun, Crated, New (3,000,000)
 300 Tons Acbar 55 Ferro-Fibrous (6,000,000)
 800 Tons PanzerSlab Standard Armor (8,000,000)
 1000 Tons Durallex Standard Armor (10,000,000)
 400 Tons BAR 10 Armor (2,000,000)
 300 Single Heat Sinks, Crated, New (600,000)
 5,000 Tons Assorted Spare Parts (6,000,000)
 1 Archer ARC-2R (6,000,000)
 2 Wolverine WVR-6R (damaged) (8,000,000)
 4 Firestarter FS9-A (damaged) (10,000,000)
 3 Enforcer ENF-4R (10,000,000)
 1 Whitworth WTH-1S (3,000,000)
 1 Lion Dropship (damaged) (250,000,000)
 1 Danais Dropship (60,000,000)

Total - 1,527,435,000 C-Bills

It was a good payday, and he refused to deny the people a bonus, even though they almost all voted to not take a bonus to help fund upgrades in equipment. He decided that 15% of the salvage would be paid out in bonus money. Minus the former pirate vessels, mechs and equipment because those were a unit action, not a salvage find. That still left 118 Million to be divided among all the personnel which was roughly 90,000 C-Bills each as a bonus. Minus another 132 Million to be paid out to the survivors of those killed, even the newest people would receive the 1 Million dollar pay out. He figured they would still have 1.3 Billion and change to spend, plus he had the two Merchant Jumpships that he could sell. He hoped they could sell the Monarchs for 100 Million each at least. If he had to sell the Merchants too, between them and the Monarchs he should be able to get another Billion C-Bills.

Sergeant Davis had run the number on everything outside of the Jumpship and Dropships and figured their equipment expense would be:

12 Wolfhound WLF-1B - 63,000,000
 9 Phoenix Hawk PHX-3S - 81,000,000
 24 Manticore Tanks - 62,400,000
 12 Drillson Hover - 30,000,000
 12 Corsair CSR-V12 - 27,600,000
 8 Battlemech Recovery - 3,200,000
 3 Engineering Vehicle - 2,100,000
 4 Carbine Construction - 4,000,000
 4 Seeker Dropships - 800,000,000

Total - 1,073,300,000 C-Bills

Star Lord Jumpship - 1,000,000,000 C-Bills
 Mammoth Dropship - 465,000,000 C-Bills

They would be flat broke and probably 500 Million C-Bills in debt. This was a problem, a big problem, but one he could not figure a way out of. Even selling the Merchants and Monarchs would not provide them with everything.

Later that day, aboard Running Fox, First Prince Hanse Davion and Quintus Allard went over the detailed list delivered by Leftenant Colonel Mitchell.

"What do you think Quintus?" First Prince Hanse Davion asked

"They are undervaluing some items and a little over pricing others. But overall, it is a good bargain. Not sure that Lion Dropship is worth 250 Million C-Bills though, not as busted up as it is. Going to cost a bunch to even get it to launch. It is his new equipment list that concerns me, by me math, he is going to flat broke and still short a few hundred million." Quintus Allard replied

"I don't see that derelict Olympus Station on that list. Nor do I see anything about the Titan information. A slight oversight on his part, we will have to remedy it for him. I want my hidey hole really bad, and I cannot afford to have a well-known command gone for possibly years. So, as the Heap Big Chief of the Davion Family Trust, I will purchase the two Monarchs at 120 Million C-Bills each. Maybe use them when the entire family gets together around Christmas to pick them up. Miss Pembery says the Olympus is worth salvaging just for the repair bays if nothing else, those are always in short supply, so we shall say they are worth a cool Billion C-Bills and the Titan information is worth 500 Million C-Bills. The Federated Suns will pay for the Olympus salvage, the Davion family trust will pay for the Titan information." First Prince Hanse Davion said

"What are you going to do with the Titan information? Sell it back to the Federated Commonwealth for a profit?" Quintus Allard asked

"I am no crook Quintus. I will give it to whatever company I select to build them, for a small upfront payout of say 100 Million and then say 5% of the profit on every ship they sell. I can see the Federated Commonwealth purchasing over a 100 easy, maybe even 200. The trust will make a profit for years on the investment." First Prince Hanse Davion said with a smile

"Your Lyran bride is rubbing off on you Hanse. But in a good way." Quintus Allard replied
« Last Edit: 01 October 2022, 15:54:54 by 2ndAcr »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #518 on: 30 September 2022, 21:37:18 »
They may not be canon.  It does not matter, thanks!

Those are the stats I am using though. I figure they are close enough, and since mentioned in Canon sources, well someone has to flesh it out. Same for the Ares Mark VII shuttle. Supposed to haul 67 tons in all prior fluff, but now they have it at 37 or so, I took it to a 200 ton shuttle to bring it back to what it always had been.

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #519 on: 01 October 2022, 02:32:35 »
Mmm, Hanse could go and see if he can make a deal deal with a certain mining company, for those Merchants.
But he could also get four Behemoths for them and use them for Olympus related transport.

Another option is the Vagabond School program getting some new live blown into it.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Vagabond_Schools

Now if only Hanse knew of the Argo Class, then he could put in some work on getting them back in production.
But he doesn't, at all.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Argo_(DropShip_class)

I do wonder why he did not add in some throw away digging machines that are currently in production.
Should help in keeping his better digging machines around.

As for the Kiso, as far as I know, they ain't made, anymore, so more of a capture or recovery item, that one.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kiso

The Titan & Lion, Hanse not handeling them as a set?
Add in Seeker, Fortress & Overlord construction and...
You would only need a Pentagon to round it off, I feel, but then Hanse could have one site that makes the whole lot of them, if handeled with care.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Pentagon

The thing I am wondering about, where is that hidden SLDF shipyard, that must be nearby?
« Last Edit: 01 October 2022, 02:39:22 by vianca »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #520 on: 01 October 2022, 05:10:14 »
48 Holly-2 SRM-4 Launcher, Crated, New (3,000,000)

Holly-2s are SRM-4s? ???

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #521 on: 01 October 2022, 06:31:57 »
Mech and Aero numbers questions -

12 Striker
12 Wolfhound
9 Phoenix Hawk
2 Thug
2 Merlin
1 Thunderbolt

So 38 total mechs?

On the fighters -
12 Rapier
12 Corsair
6 Hellcat
3 Samurai

So 33 here. Am I missing any?

Sorry just asking since I think there are 36 pilots for each right?

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #522 on: 01 October 2022, 08:21:28 »
 Well, your close, they actually have 60 Aerospace pilots. They started with first batch of 24 and then QA added in another 36 pilots. Unless they use small craft bays, they can only carry a max of 34 fighters using fighter bays. This will be explained in a bit as the major shuffle in TOE starts soon. There is a method to my madness. And they have 12 Hellcat HCT-213R.

Titan - 18
 Union CV - 12
 Intruder - 2
 Union - 2

Same for the BM, if they get everything, they can only carry 28 combat loaded. Everything else has to ride the Mule down.

Union - 12
 Seeker (4) - 16

Very soon, there will be a full TOE breakdown once I get everything ironed out.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2022, 08:23:56 by 2ndAcr »

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #523 on: 01 October 2022, 08:50:40 »
Ah ok didnt see the extra pilots or Hellcats. Looking forward to it!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #524 on: 01 October 2022, 14:11:43 »
9 April 3042

Cargo unloading continued for the 2nd straight day while Sergeant Nathan Davis and Sergeant Major Chester Pullman worked their way thru the personnel packets of all the new arrivals to identify next of kin and to just put names to those they lost. Chief Vincent Zuniga supervised the loading of cargo in orbit while Master Sergeant Harry Caldwell handled the unloading on the surface. Leftenant Colonel Mitchell too the opportunity to meet with the newest members of the units Command Group to get both feedback on future plans and ideas but also to get a better feel of who was joining the unit. One thing that had already raised a bit of a problem was the units rank structure. Several of the newest Senior Techs had come in from the Lyran part of the Commonwealth but having been part of the FedCom Corps. Warrant Officers were a Lyran Commonwealth hold over until the new AFFC rank structure was completely revamped. He had spent some time researching various rank structures from historical records until he found one, he thought might work.

"First, let me welcome you all toe Search and Recovery Inc. SaRI for short and it is pronounced like "sorry". When we first formed, our primary mission was going to be to seek out and recover lost tech and such. This has since morphed into an additional combat role. Our primary operational is the area known as the Outworld Wastes. Our first operation, we almost managed to get stranded when part of our escorts happened to have pirate tendencies. Our second operation, which we just finished we got jumped by one pirate group and then a second pirate group. These events have forced me to greatly boost our ground combat power while also beefing up our existing Aerospace combat power.

Everyone has probably noted that we are seriously rank heavy, with everyone being ex-military while also drawing the same pay they did while active. As such, I am going to be implementing a new rank structure soon. I doubt anyone's pay will change much. If it does, you have to think outside the box. You have not gotten them yet, but every member of this unit gets a bonus for everything we bring back via found recovered items that we sell off. We first set that at 30% of the value divided equally among every member of the unit. This bonus check is not as much, only because my existing personnel on the mission, which made up 95% of our structure before your arrival voted to waive their bonus for equipment purchases. I could not bring myself to do it and have set aside 15% of the money for bonuses to be paid soon. It works out to roughly 90,000 C-Bills per person in our command, including those that joined while we were deployed. We do not play favorites here, everyone gets paid the same bonus, regardless of when they join the command. I expect all of you to relay this to your assigned personnel or even to those that arrived with you. The usual remaining funds stay with the unit.

We take care of our own and always will. Those that die in this unit, a 1 Million C-Bill payment is made to your next of kin. We have grown larger than expected and much quicker, so we do not have a dedicated Personnel section, yet. But expect to be giving us all the information we need to make this payment happen. This money comes directly from the unit funds. If you doubt me, ask around to the older members, you will find that even the lowest rank, which is a Corporal made way more than even a Field Marshal in the AFFS last year with their bonuses.

My own background, I was a Major in the AFFS, served 12 years and am a veteran of 2 wars. I am infantry by profession but recently, I have had to expand my knowledge base. I will be leaning on all of you to assist me in making decisions outside my immediate expertise. I eat the same food as my soldiers, sleep on the same ground as they do. I am a field soldier at heart, never liked garrison duty or the crap that goes with it. I prefer to be out in the field. During my service, I avoided staff duty like the plague. That lack has shown me some of the errors in my ways during our recent operations. I had us operating on too tight of a logistical tail, which hindered our operations and cost me some good soldiers. That will not happen again. I will be soon reforming the unit make up, adding in dedicated support functions. S1, S2, S3, S4, you all know the typical nomenclatures. These personnel will be drawn from those that have prven themselves skilled at those tasks, but also from those recently wounded that are unfit to return to the field if they choose to stay with us.

Our next operations will be conducted for a longer period of deployment than previous operations. While we will keep this compound here on Inner End, it will mainly be manned by the rear detachment. It will serve as a logistics holding point until we can pick it up. I have not worked all the details out yet, but I do know that out in the Wastes, we are on our own. We have to be as self-sustaining as possible, hence the need to move to primarily Fusion based equipment, as many energy weapons as possible to cut down on ammunition needs. Cargo space is a precious commodity and everything I can do to save space I will do. All the hydroponics bays aboard our Jumpships will be undergoing a complete refit until they are fully functional, fresh food is a luxury I care not to do without. Though I doubt they will be able to keep up with demand, but we are going to try.

Right now, our entire equipment TO&E is in a flux, so ship assignments, even equipment assignments are up in the air. I hope to have this worked out as quickly as possible. But we are also at the mercy of the suppliers. We do not swing the same weight as more well-known units, though we do have some powerful benefactors as most of you probably noticed. But I am going to resist pulling on that particular card as much as possible, owing the wrong people can get you into trouble later on down the road. I prefer to keep us independent and debt free to chart our own course.

We also do quite a bit of cross training here. Both Alpha and Bravo companies have been trained in Zero G combat. We are not full-on Marines, but we have been successful at it so far. Most of those soldiers also support the technicians when it is needed and quite a few have a medic secondary. We all pull our weight here; you will find Lieutenants digging or working right alongside the troops if it is needed. This will probably change with the influx of you new people, but I prefer it to remain as it is. It builds morale and comradery when you see an officer working just as hard as you are when your a simple soldier.

While we never gave it a thought, of the 228 slaves that we liberated, 158 of them want to remain with us. But as civilians, so now we have camp followers. I have decided to let them stay with us. They will remain here as part of the rear detachment. Handling mostly the cooking, cleaning, and non-technical aspects of the tasks needing to be done. They are mostly uneducated, but that is not their fault. I have decided that the unit will also hire tutors to teach them some basics for three hours each day. I will not tolerate any mistreatment of these people. For all intents and purposes, they are part of this command. They will be paid for their services but probably will not be included in the bonus program.

Now the biggie, the rank structure. I have consulted with Sergeant Major Pullman and he has agreed that it makes sense to make the changes now. So, if you will look at the monitor on the wall, you will see the new rank structure and how it might affect possibly your own current rank.

Search and Recovery Inc Rank Structure

Officer

Brigadier General
 Colonel - David Mitchell
 Lieutenant Colonel - Battalion/Wing Command
 Major - Regiment and Battalion Staff
 Captain - Company/Squadron Command
 First Lieutenant - Platoon/Flight Command
 2nd Lieutenant - Platoon Command/Aero Pilot

Warrant Officer

Chief Warrant Officer - Tech Branch Command
 Senior Warrant Officer - Senior Tech Company Command
 Warrant Officer First Class - Senior Tech Team Command
 Warrant Officer - Senior Tech

Enlisted

Command Sergeant Major - Chester Pullman
 Sergeant Major
 First Sergeant
 Master Sergeant
 Staff Sergeant
 Sergeant
 Corporal
 Private First Class
 Private

The Warrant Officer class will be used by the Technical Personnel. Mech Techs, Aero Techs, Mechanics and so forth. Though the lower ranks will be classified as enlisted. For Example, Master Sergeant Caldwell is now going to be a Chief Warrant Officer. Senior Techs are going to be Warrant Officers. I do not plan on having a separate rank structure for the Aerospace or Naval side of the house. Ship Master Sarah Campbell is now a Lieutenant Colonel, Commodore Noble is now a Lieutenant Colonel. Chief Vincent Zuniga is now Chief Warrant Officer Zuniga.

Each Battalion will have a Sergeant Major to assist the Battalion Commander and each Company will have a First Sergeant. Master Sergeants will be in every platoon to assist the Platoon leader. This going to take some getting used to for everyone and I expect growing pains. Though we are a Regiment in size, there will not be a Colonel in charge, I will hold that position. Colonel Dortman, you know what that means?"

"Ja, I am now a Lieutenant Colonel I presume?" Colonel Alfred Dortman replied

"Yes, it does. Captain Gweneth Rolando is now a Major and your executive officer. She is quite ready to be a Battalion commander and if I had another Battalion, she would command it. I have served with her for years and trust her completely. Use her wisely." Colonel Mitchell said before continuing to speak to all the others "As you can see, the top rank is Brigadier General, I decided to go ahead and create it if some day it is needed. I highly doubt us reaching a multi-Regiment in size, but I never expected to exceed a Battalion in size either. Currently we field the following." He changed the screen on the wall monitor.

Search and Recovery Inc Unit Composition

Infantry Battalion - 3 Company of 4 Platoons
 Aerospace Wing - 5 Squadrons w/ Command Flight
 Battlemech Battalion - 3 Company
 Armor Battalion - 3 or 4 Company

"As you can see, there is some flux built into this current setup. Please note the Aerospace Wing, we are over strength here. We currently have bays for only 34 fighters yet have 60 pilots. I consulted with Commodore, excuse me Lieutenant Colonel Noble and he suggested that we rotate the pilots. In future operations, we will be flying a near constant Combat Air Patrol and this will help keep the pilots fresh as we cycle fresh pilots in for those coming off missions. For those that do not know or heard, we have a Titan Dropship, former Star League Defense Force. We salvaged it on our first operation, and it is fully operational. It can carry 18 fighters and will be our primary strike platform. Our Union CV will primarily be used for defense of our Jumpships while the Titan is supporting ground operations. That is where most of the extra pilots will be based on.

I have not yet made up my mind if we will be going straight organization like currently laid out or some sort of combined arms setup like the Ceti Hussars use but on a smaller scale. While we are waiting on additional equipment, we will be conducting field exercises to determine which way we will move. I can see the advantage of each way, but which way will work for us needs to be determined. If there are no questions, we will conclude this meeting." Colonel Mitchell said

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #525 on: 01 October 2022, 14:46:26 »
Nice going, that's a really clear structure for the various ranks!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #526 on: 01 October 2022, 15:14:24 »
At least Dortman and Noble had no trouble with it...  :)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #527 on: 01 October 2022, 17:50:14 »
17 April 3042
New Avalon (Federated Commonwealth)

Since getting back to New Avalon on the 11th, both First Prince Hanse Davion and Quintus Allard had been quite busy lining things up. Quintus handled arranging for the new replacement personnel along with locating the extra specialists, while First Prince Hanse Davion handled the other items that required more finesse or outright pulling rank. His first call had been to Avalon Shipping, one of the many companies owned by the Davion Family Trust within the Federated Suns quickly having the CEO Carter Blands rushing to the meeting.

Carter Blands, CEO of Avalon Shipping, was ushered directly into First Prince Hanse Davion's office and the door closed. Pointing to a seat, First Prince Hanse Davion waited while Carter Blands got comfortable before speaking.

"Carter, it has been a long time since we have spoken. How is the company doing?" First Prince Hanse Davion greeted while taking a seat opposite him.

"Highness, the company is doing fine, very well actually. The new Lyran markets have and lowering af many of the border restrictions has really caused a sort of boom for shipping." Carter Blands replied

"Excellent. Normally, the Davion Family Trust maintains a very hands-off approach to the companies owned by the Trust. But I must now exercise a little control. I need a Star Lord Jumpship, it has to be well maintained, in good condition and ready to move out quickly. I am sure you have one that meets those requirements." First Prince Hanse Davion said

"Highness, the Star Lord Jumpships are our main source of income earners. How long would you need it for?" Carter Blands replied

"Forever. It will not be coming back, at least for a very long time. Your losing one whether you like it or not, I am trying to let you pick the one that causes the least disruption to your company. You will be paid for the ship, and I will also authorize the Trust to underwrite two Star Lord Jumpships to replace the one I am taking from you." First Prince Hanse Davion said

That offer tossed the door wide open, getting two Star Lords to replace one was just too good a deal to pass up for Carter Blands. "Highness, we currently have two Star Lords at Delavan undergoing refits. I believe one is due to complete that refit and return to service."

"Excellent. I need it at Inner End as soon as possible but it will need to travel to Layover first. There it will pick up four Seeker Dropships and deliver them to their new owner. The same new owner as the Star Lord. I need this to happen quickly. Very quickly." First Prince Hanse Davion said

"I assume the new owner is covering the expenses of the ferry operation?" Carter Blands asked

"I will cover the expense personally. Send me the bill once everything is complete." First Prince Hanse Davion said standing up signalling the meeting was over.

As the door closed behind Carter Blands, First Prince Hanse Davion smiled, one down, several more to go, he thought to himself. His next meeting was going to be a little tougher to accomplish. He checked his watch and headed for the bathroom to freshen up before his next meeting in fifteen minutes.

He was sitting in a comfortable chair when Marshal of the Armies Ran Felsner and Hauptmann General Clive Renegor, Department of the Quartermaster, were led into the office and took seats across from First Prince Hanse Davion. For Hauptmann General Clive Renegor, it was a very uncomfortable position, what if they found out about helping Quintus Allard, he thought while sitting stiffly in the plush chair.

"Relax General Renegor, I know all about helping Quintus. He had my permission to see you. How is the refitting of our commands going?" First Prince Hanse Davion asked trying to ease his guest's tension.

"Highness. The refitting is actually ahead of pace. Most commands are at strength, and we are restocking our depots quickly." Hauptmann General Renegor replied

"Forgive me but I prefer the old rank of General. I am about to make your task of restocking our depots a little harder or should I say it might take longer. I need the items on this list released from the AFFC and transported to Inner End without delay. Can you make that happen?" First Prince Hanse Davion said handing over a small paper list, which he had added to on his own, to Hauptmann General Renegor who took a minute looking it over.

12 Wolfhound WLF-1B
 12 Corsair CSR-V12
 12 Phoenix Hawk PHX-3S
 24 Manticore Tank
 24 Drillson Hover (ERLL)
 8 Battlemech Recovery (Heavy)
 3 Engineering Vehicle
 8 Heavy Hover APC
 4 Marten Infantry VTOL
 4 Warrior H-7 VTOL
 4 Seeker Dropship (Mech Var)

"Highness, while most of this list is doable, some of the items are going to cause quite a stir among several Departments." Hauptmann General Renegor said handing the list over the Marshal of the Armies Ran Felsner for him to examine.

"Highness, this list is quite irregular. Hauptmann General Regenor is correct, Fleet Admiral Samantha Steiner is going to have a stroke when she learns of this. Dropships and Aerospace fighters belong to her." Marshal of the Armies Ran Felsner said

"Actually, they belong to the Federated Suns or should I say the Federated Commonwealth. If Fleet Admiral Steiner has an issue, she can come see me about it. The AFFC will be compensated for the loss of the equipment. General Renegor, issue new purchases to replace the requested equipment and get in in the pipeline. Marshal Felsner, you will run interference for General Renegor if he needs it. Anyone throws too big of a fit, you send them to me. Am I clear gentlemen?" First Prince Hanse Davion said while standing from his chair.

Both officers jumped their feet and said "Yes Highness" before rapidly heading for the door.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2022, 22:47:43 by 2ndAcr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #528 on: 01 October 2022, 18:33:24 »
That last General was Regenor, I believe, not Felsner...  ^-^

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #529 on: 01 October 2022, 18:50:49 »
they supply guys are not going to be happy...at first then the all of those recoverd supplies will hit. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #530 on: 01 October 2022, 18:57:35 »
They'll hit different people though... the unhappiness and joy will be unevenly spread...  ^-^

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #531 on: 01 October 2022, 19:45:20 »
One problem - Hanse & Quintus are raising major waves here. "Why is the first prince so focussed on Inner End? Why is all this being done slapdash by fiat? What is he up to? Why are the people there so important?"

Would probably be better if they'd just sent Mr. Smith to see these people. "We need this done." "Why?" "It has been willed, where what is willed, must be" (for the literary nerds amongst us.) Or better still, "Because a very highly placed lady has a bee in her bonnet about good works", or "My orders come from X, who gets his orders from Y, who gets her orders from Z ,who gets them from High Command."
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #532 on: 01 October 2022, 19:47:40 »
Only at the highest levels, though.  The people they're talking to SHOULD know how to be discrete.

Wraith_Spirit013

• Recruit
« Reply #533 on: 01 October 2022, 20:55:59 »
I wonder what Precentor ROM reaction to the failed mission.   Will there be a story to show the First Cicuit reaction when Precentor ROM makes a report?

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #534 on: 01 October 2022, 23:18:33 »
18 April 3042
New Avalon (Federated Commonwealth)

First Prince Hanse Davion looked up from his paperwork and smiled as he saw who had entered his office. She was as beautiful as ever, Melissa Steiner Davion, the love of his life. But the look on her face followed by the entry of Princes Champion Ardan Sortek soured his mood slightly. "To what do I owe this grand visit?"

"Hanse, what the hell are you doing?" Ardan Sortek asked

"What do you mean Ardan?" First Prince Hanse Davion asked

"Don't play coy with me Hanse. I can smell your bullshit a mile away. Plus, I brought back up this time. You know exactly what I am talking about. It is one thing when you let Quintus play his shadow games, at least he knows how to do it. But you carry too big of a footprint to be playing shadow games. Hell, you actually suck at shadow games. Luckily, Marshal of the Armies Felsner came to me before you totally screw whatever it is your doing up too bad. Now spill it." Ardan Sortek said, one of the few people who could talk to First Prince Hanse Davion that way

"You know how long I have searched for a location, far from prying eyes, to let Challenge Systems really go to work? I think I have found the perfect place, sort of." First Prince Hanse Davion said

"Sort of? Well, first, your painting a massive bullseye on Inner End for everyone to start looking at. I also had Justin brief me in on that attack that just happened. Quintus and Justin both agree that it was ROM, they just cannot prove it. I know Quintus' little project unit is based from there also. I know they found something, why else would you and Quintus make a trip out there at the last minute. Did they find your hidey hole?" Ardan Sortek asked

"Not exactly. But they found a SLDF cache that, while not top of the line equipment, is damned substantial. They are the perfect cut out to hunt me a secure location." First Prince Hanse Davion said

"Not if you keep planting your big ass feet into the operation. You want it quiet, you let Quintus or Justin do the heavy lifting. If they run into resistance, they can come to me. You stay focused on helping Melissa meld both nations into a single entity or Victor is going to have nothing but trouble when he takes over. Quintus is retired and basically out of the public eye, not that he was ever really public. Let him do the black ops coordination and stuff. I will have Felner release the equipment. Officially, the equipment will be assigned to the 9th FedCom RCT which you ordered to the Tortuga Dominions, sadly, it will all be lost in action out there. That will clear up that huge amount of paper trail. Hauptmann General Renegor will help make the arrangements to get the equipment close to Inner End, but not to Inner End itself. I will have Justin arrange a deep space transfer of the equipment to Quintus' pet unit. We can delay the equipment purchases to replace those we are transfering until the 9th FedCom gets back. That will then cover that paper trail. Now, what else have you done that might need to be cleaned up?" Ardan Sortek said

"You talked to Quintus and Justin before coming to see me, didn't you? Let me guess, Quintus is afraid I am going to corrupt his unit and steal it from him." First Prince Hanse Davion said with a smile

"Yes, I spoke to both of them. Quintus is more worried that your going to ruin your chance by sticking your big nose into things best done behind the scenes." Ardan Sortek replied

"Then why didn't he come see me?" First Prince Hanse Davion asked

"Because your still the First Prince. And as good as he is, Quintus cannot shake this much equipment loose without serious horsepower. Your just too much horsepower for the task. Plus, I am one of the few that will tell you to butt out and let the professionals handle the job at hand. Now, what else have you done that I might not know about?" Ardan Sortek asked

"Purchased a Star Lord Jumpship from Avalon Shipping. I was going to have the Family Trust pay for it." First Prince Hanse Davion said

"So that the title transfers have your fingerprint all over them? Hanse, your slipping bad. The unit can purchase the Jumpship directly from Avalon Shipping. If you were willing to do that for them, then the find they made will cover the Jumpship. If your dead set on funding it, Justin or Quintus can find a way to launder the money to be put back into their account cleanly. Your judgement is being clouded by the thought of finally finding your perfect location after all these years. If something needs to be done, you tell Quintus. If he needs further help he can go to Justin or myself. Clear?" Ardan Sortek said

"Crystal clear. What about you Mel? You want in on the action?" First Prince Hanse Davion asked

"No need, Ardan is handling it quite well. I agreed to tag along mainly to drag you away from the office. I leave for Tharkad in a week and want some alone time. Oh, and I will be stopping by Mizar on my way. Now that you have been properly scolded, let's go somewhere private so that I can console you properly." Melissa Steiner Davion said with a gleaming smile

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #535 on: 02 October 2022, 00:39:17 »
Haha, the carrot and stick method. Where the stick came first. Nicely done.  >:D :thumbsup:

Seydlitz

• Corporal
« Reply #536 on: 02 October 2022, 00:54:32 »
Hmm, Melissa is making a stop on Mizar eh? Me thinks someone's dream may soon true while someone else will receive a Royal Curb Stomping >:D :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #537 on: 02 October 2022, 03:55:54 »
Well played! :clap:

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #538 on: 02 October 2022, 10:17:50 »
so to those of us who don't live and breathe house Davion, what is so important about that planet?
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #539 on: 02 October 2022, 10:34:09 »
so to those of us who don't live and breathe house Davion, what is so important about that planet?

Nothing as far as I know, until the "players" showed up anyway.

Register