Hunting Party
0 (0%)
Red In Tooth And Claw
0 (0%)
The Improbable Life And Possible Death Of Alexandra Stephanie Hayes
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: 29 May 2020, 08:16:53

Author Topic: Who Goes There?  (Read 39041 times)

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
Re: Who Goes There?
« Reply #480 on: 07 November 2020, 14:47:10 »
Such thoughtful mother.
Shoot first, laugh later.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #481 on: 07 November 2020, 15:50:31 »
Such thoughtful mother.
Lot of people want them to meet, I'm just not sure how to write it without breaking canon
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #482 on: 07 November 2020, 15:54:51 »
Lot of people want them to meet, I'm just not sure how to write it without breaking canon

that would be one of those situations like we get when I play on the forums, JA Baker, putting up a story with a tag "AU" and gleefully violating Canon while making one of those weird faces from the meme generators.

The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #483 on: 07 November 2020, 18:23:57 »
If you are going to do it just treat it like several canon works are treated, as fiction within fiction, or use unreliable narrator. Personally I don't mind if they never meet, space is big afterall.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #484 on: 07 November 2020, 18:28:16 »
If you are going to do it just treat it like several canon works are treated, as fiction within fiction, or use unreliable narrator. Personally I don't mind if they never meet, space is big afterall.

In a way, it's cooler to have those two exist in the same continuity, and never QUITE encounter one another.  Some near-misses might be fun.

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #485 on: 07 November 2020, 19:06:56 »
So Natasha wants to know how her daughter's doing? Interesting. But it's good to see that Joker has some good morality fiber in her.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #486 on: 07 November 2020, 20:51:33 »
I've thought about taking a two-pronged approach: start with Joking being called up for an interview with Jamie Wolf when she applies for MRCB certification and they run her DNA profile, then a message sent from Wolf to Kerensky, where he effectively reads her the riot act.

As for Natasha, she's probably equal parts curious about what her daughter is getting up to, and worried about what would happen if she was captured by one of the Clans, and they run her DNA profile. Because she has enough enemies without word of her secret Freeborn child getting out.

Joker, of course, couldn't care less one way or another.

But it's good to see that Joker has some good morality fiber in her.
Consequences of a Catholic upbringing.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #487 on: 08 November 2020, 03:58:56 »
Consequences of a Catholic upbringing.
And the fact that she was a target of such scum in the childhood, resulting in rather unlamented stabbings.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #488 on: 08 November 2020, 04:54:16 »
As for Natasha, she's probably equal parts curious about what her daughter is getting up to, and worried about what would happen if she was captured by one of the Clans, and they run her DNA profile. Because she has enough enemies without word of her secret Freeborn child getting out.

I doubt they'd try and get her politically. Warriors having freebirth children aren't unheard of.
More likely they'll count their blessings and quietly slip it into their eugenics programs.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #489 on: 08 November 2020, 08:43:09 »
I doubt they'd try and get her politically. Warriors having freebirth children aren't unheard of.
More likely they'll count their blessings and quietly slip it into their eugenics programs.

Plus, Natasha Kerensky is a bit too badass for anyone to make a fuss about that sort of thing. I mean, who´d want to fight a Trial of Grievance against her?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #490 on: 08 November 2020, 17:16:35 »
Really enjoyed the 2 last ones. Thank you very much. I would have preferred próspero to survive only to be destroyed by a clan mission later on (too dangerous to let it survive) but cool in any case.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Who Goes There?
« Reply #491 on: 09 November 2020, 15:48:28 »
Something a lot of people have been asking for

Bloodline

ComStar Mercenary Review Board
Mercenary Licence Application

Legal Name: UNKNOWN
Known Aliases: Joker
Date of Birth: UNKNOWN, believed to be some time in 3019
World of Birth: UNKNOWN
Parents: UNKNOWN
Family: UNKNOWN
Profession: Mercenary MechWarrior
MRB Rating: Green
Piloting Licences:
LoaderMech (civilian)
Wasp (all variants excluding LAM)
Javelin (all variants)
Phoenix Hawk (all variants excluding LAM)
Centurion (all variants)
Griffin (all variants)
Hunchback (all variants)
Unit Affiliation: Independent

Physical Characteristics
Biological Gender:
Female
Height: 175.25cm
Weight: 57kg
Body Stats: 91.4-66-91.4
Hair: Red
Eyes: Grey-green
Blood group: O

"Stravag!" Major Natasha Kerensky looked at the data-pad, her face turning uncharacteristically pale.

"Seyla." Commander Jamie Wolf looked across the desk at his friend and subordinate, a thoughtful expression on his face, "You could have... No, damn it Natasha, you should have told me!"

"Told you what? That I drunkenly slept with a man the press likes to call my Nemesis?" Kerensky asked, bitterly, "That I let my contraceptive implant laps because I thought I was too old? That I was so embarrassed that I denied anything was wrong until it was too late to do anything? That I sent her away, hoping that her father would know what to do?" she dropped the data-pad onto the desk, "I need a drink."

"Yes, well, if not for a somewhat cryptic warning from Vic Travers, we could have faced quite the public embarrassment." Wolf reached into a draw in his desk and withdrawn a bottle Glengarry Special Reserve Whisky and two glasses, pouring two generous measures, "You know me, 'Tasha: you know damn well I would not have judged you. You could have come to me..."

"Were it so simple." Kerensky took the offered glass, drained the contents in one go, then handed it back for a refill, "You know I have nothing but the upmost respect for you, but, at the end of the day, you are a Freeborn. Things are, different, for a Trueborn..."

"Do not dare try and hide behind that bullshit!" Wolf snapped, his eye narrowing as he put the bottle away, "You think you are the first woman in history to find herself pregnant after a one-night-stand? Think you are the first warrior under my command to find herself having to request nine months of light duties? The only reason you got away with it is because I gave you and your little band of reprobates enough rope to hang yourselves. But the fact remains that you should have told me: we have contingencies in place for this kind of situation! Your daughter should have been raised as one of us! Instead, she was brought up who knows where by someone chosen by, let us be honest, a borderline psychopath."

"I am surprised that you have not already offered her a position in the Dragoons?"

"How do you know I have not? If her records are to be believed, she has more natural talent than almost anyone I have ever seen. A little rough around the edges, maybe, but nothing that a little time with a good mentor could not fix. We could certainly use someone like her in one of our reserve units..."

"No. That I will not allow. I made a mistakes in sending her away, this is true." Kerensky admitted, "But look at what she has become despite of that? Of all the things she could become, she has chosen the life of a MechWarrior. No, let her forge her own destiny. I owe her that much, at least." she look at her commander, "What surkai must I make?"

"I am not going to do anything, officially. You have made quite a few enemies since we arrived in the Inner Sphere: I'm sure some of them would no doubt think that... no, I refuse to call her by that stupid name Travers gave her!" Wolf scowled, "Only your daughter would think it clever to take a name like that as her own. No, if the truth was to get out, someone might think that they could get to you through her. So, officially, she is no one to us; just another Mercenary amid thousands of others. Unofficially, you may consider yourself reprimanded. I will have to keep a closer eye on you and your unit from now on. Or, at least until such time as you prove I can trust you."

"Seyla." Kerensky nodded, "I... apologies. You are not just my commander by my friend. It was wrong of me to think so little of you as to not come to you with this sooner."

"Despite the best efforts of the Scientists, Trueborn are still human, and susceptible to the same frailties as the rest of us." Wolf smiled, "Just promise me that there are no other surprises running around out there?"

The End

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #492 on: 09 November 2020, 16:43:30 »
If she was born around 3019, wouldn't then Vic Travers be too young to work for Bounty Hunter at that time? I reckoned 3028 would be more likely.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #493 on: 09 November 2020, 16:57:41 »
If she was born around 3019, wouldn't then Vic Travers be too young to work for Bounty Hunter at that time? I reckoned 3028 would be more likely.

Vic Travers was the one who helped Joker escape with that stolen Wasp. Which would have been around 3038-3040.
-Frederick the Great

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #494 on: 09 November 2020, 17:09:09 »
At which point Natasha would have been... carry the 1... 54, at the youngest, when Joker was born.

Trust me: I put zero research into the timeline when I first created Joker. This was me trying to make the numbers work. Because yeah, she was originally going to have been born around 3028. But, again, 'Tasha would have been too old to have a kid, good genes or not.

So let's just call Vic an unreliable narrator and move on, shall we?

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #495 on: 09 November 2020, 17:14:45 »
At which point Natasha would have been... carry the 1... 54, at the youngest, when Joker was born.

Trust me: I put zero research into the timeline when I first created Joker. This was me trying to make the numbers work. Because yeah, she was originally going to have been born around 3028. But, again, 'Tasha would have been too old to have a kid, good genes or not.

So let's just call Vic an unreliable narrator and move on, shall we?

Sarna says Natasha was decanted 2973. That makes her 46 in 3019. Still possible - and at the same time realistic for Natasha to think she´s too old. I say it´s good the way it is.
-Frederick the Great

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #496 on: 10 November 2020, 17:27:46 »
I've known women who've been pregnant around that age, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. I just wanna know what her real name is. Natasha's daughter I mean.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #497 on: 10 November 2020, 18:43:49 »
I just wanna know what her real name is. Natasha's daughter I mean.
Joker.

No, seriously: she had it legally changed to that

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #498 on: 11 November 2020, 02:12:31 »
She's the Joker
She's a poker
She's a midnight smoker
She plays her music in the song

And you really don't want her poking you, it's bad for your health.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #499 on: 21 November 2020, 00:12:31 »
to bad about the AI
want more Joker stories
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #500 on: 21 November 2020, 05:44:55 »
I'm okay with her just being a colorful background character, more interesting this way.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #501 on: 22 November 2020, 09:20:38 »
to bad about the AI
want more Joker stories
I'm okay with her just being a colorful background character, more interesting this way.
I don't have any plans/ideas for future Joker stories, beyond maybe a few background appearances/name-drops. Can't really use her too much without breaking the illusion that all this could still be taking place in Canon, just "off screen" as it were.

Okay, that's technically a lie: I have exactly one idea for a future appearance by her, but at the moment it doesn't exactly fit with the rest of the series. Hell, I'm not 100% sure Joker really fits into this series, as I'm still trying to keep up the general theme of "I've seen some crazy shit out there", so we'll see if I eventually come up with an idea that makes it work.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Who Goes There?
« Reply #502 on: 22 November 2020, 20:29:28 »
The closest thing to a Joker story you'll see for a while: Dead Man's Hand

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #503 on: 22 November 2020, 22:24:54 »
The closest thing to a Joker story you'll see for a while: Dead Man's Hand

:) 

Everyone, go read that, and then search through this thread for the relevant story!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #504 on: 23 November 2020, 02:36:17 »
So when Natasha was interrogating Kelso, the Joker was much still onworld. Natasha must have been so saddened by the fact that she missed the chance to meet her.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #505 on: 23 November 2020, 06:35:40 »
So when Natasha was interrogating Kelso, the Joker was much still onworld. Natasha must have been so saddened by the fact that she missed the chance to meet her.
Eh, more impressed that, with practically no prep-time and only limited resources, Joker was able to lead her entire invasion force on a snipe hunt, then metaphorically pull their pants down and steal their lunch money.

'Tasha doesn't want to meet her daughter so much as know she's making her own way in life.