Hunting Party
0 (0%)
Red In Tooth And Claw
0 (0%)
The Improbable Life And Possible Death Of Alexandra Stephanie Hayes
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: 29 May 2020, 08:16:53

Author Topic: Who Goes There?  (Read 45334 times)

paulobrito

• Master Sergeant
Re: Who Goes There?
« Reply #300 on: 10 August 2020, 12:09:10 »
Very, very nice.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #301 on: 10 August 2020, 13:17:06 »
Accountants are not, by nature, adventurous people.
But there comes a phase in every accountant's life when he wants to become a lion tamer. It's usually a short lived phase. Usually.

It's lamentable though that we will never see a CIS style show about forensic accountants. Well, actually it isn't.
Shoot first, laugh later.

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #302 on: 10 August 2020, 13:18:37 »
Uuuuugghhhhh

Another Cliff, I was on cruise control on my bike, going along so nicely, then the Cliff. Hope this road gets a bridge and keeps going. I hear their is this nice bar at the END.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #303 on: 10 August 2020, 14:40:13 »
Uuuuugghhhhh

Another Cliff, I was on cruise control on my bike, going along so nicely, then the Cliff. Hope this road gets a bridge and keeps going. I hear their is this nice bar at the END.
You want to know how it ends? In fire.

Mickey reports to Uncle Chandy, who leaks the information to the AMC, who make a run on Mars, and everything goes Dr Strangelove
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #304 on: 10 August 2020, 15:18:54 »
But,, I like How I Learned to Like the Bomb!, Slim Pickens was great in that Drama.
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

ChaserGrey

• Private
« Reply #305 on: 10 August 2020, 15:47:54 »
Late to the party here, because I've been commenting mostly on FF.net. But this is fantastic. I look forward to every new chapter. Looking back, it's hard to pick favorites, but I keep coming back to "Sealed Cargo," "The Wreck of the Charlotte Cameron," "The Most Dangerous Game," and "Incubus," I suppose because more than other stories they seem like something that could happen in the BattleTech universe. After all, who knows what experiments the Star League or the Word of Blake might have gotten up to? "Sealed Cargo" is a brilliant example of how a story that tells less can be more horrifying than one that tells more. And "Incubus" seems to take some pages from the Gene-Caste, which I thought were a criminally underutilized idea.

I'm also a fan of "Urban Legend" and "From a Certain Point of View," because they give us real-sounding voices from people who have gotten short shrift in the fiction. I love talking with a sane Manei Dominei, and a Clan warrior who isn't a Galaxy Commander or Khan.

But far and away I think my favorite is "On A Pale Horse," because I still have trouble believing it's not canon. You got the voice from the Jihad books perfectly, and spun such a great web of history, myth, and rumor. The best part is that it could have really happened, if you just assume that the Horsemen's myth took on a life of its own and they really only committed a fraction of the attacks they were credited with.  And just when we're about to dismiss the whole thing as another fairy tale...you dropped in that there's that one clip of gun camera footage, showing the white Highlander.  Brrr.

But of course, the Zevon fan in me will always love "Roland the Headless Hunchback Pilot."

Regarding your latest installment: it rocked, and as a fan of The Blood (even though I know they'll never, ever be canon) I of course had my own ideas about where all those C-Bills were going. Jaime did start out as a Clanner after all, and so did some of the older Dragoons, plus the Bondsmen they took.  Just what did give them such a hard-on for Mars all of a sudden?

My only criticism is that I can't see the Cameron fortune coming through that close to intact- I'd have expected them to invest most of it in the Hegemony, and per Liberation of Terra the Hegemony was pretty much a parking lot even before Big Daddy Alex K said "we out." Of course, even if we're just talking about what could be turned into cash quickly when the coup went down, you're probably still in the low trillions of SL dollars, at least.

Great story, please keep writing!

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #306 on: 12 August 2020, 13:26:21 »
It's lamentable though that we will never see a CIS style show about forensic accountants.
There's always The Accountant.

But,, I like How I Learned to Like the Bomb!, Slim Pickens was great in that Drama.
There's a quote about film making (and storytelling in general), often attributed to the high-functioning sociopath that was Stanley Kubrick, that goes something like this:
"Confront a man with a crisis in the office, and you have a thriller. Confront him at home, and you have a drama. Confront him on the toilet, and you have a comedy.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Sharpnel

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #307 on: 12 August 2020, 13:34:15 »
There's always The Accountant.

without the murder and assassinations
Consigliere Trygg Bender, ZEU-6BL Zeus, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, VND-1R Vindicator 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company
Tai-i Shizuko Lofgren, Third Infantry Company, Oniwaka

The Honor of Men cannot be bound by the words of Fools - Marco Hietala
"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
It's an Omni, so I can build it into whatever I please - JHB
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #308 on: 12 August 2020, 13:43:02 »
another excellent one.
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #309 on: 12 August 2020, 19:48:06 »
Thank you, well plotted and paced.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #310 on: 13 August 2020, 06:40:15 »
With thanks again to Kargan3033 for suggesting the setting.
But, with that said, time to really turn it up to 11...

Hall Of Mirrors

The War of '39. That's when it happened.

My DEST team was sent to Exeter in support of the Ryuken-go after ISF discovered that the honorless Davion dogs had set up a secret research outpost there, an offshoot of the New Avalon Institute of Science. Our mission was to locate the laboratory, kill the staff and recover what we could for the glory of the Dragon! Moral was high, especially as we were going into battle alongside Kanrei Theodore Kurita himself. We would strike the unsuspecting Davions like a hail of arrows, cutting them down without mercy.

It may only have been a raid, not a full invasion, but that did not mean that we could not teach them the error of their ways, punish them for attacking the Combine.

Unfortunately, while the initial attack proved successful, it soon became clear that the laboratory we were seeking was protected by an MI6 team, the accursed 'Rabid Foxes'. While they lack honour, even I have to admit that they are skilled and highly motivated warriors, certainly not an enemy to be taken lightly. At first, they refused to meet us in honourable combat, instead engaging in a series of hit-and-fade attacks that forced us to spread our already limited numbers securing our rear.

And, while that was infuriating enough, their attacks seemed, to be blunt, impossible: they would appear, seemingly out of nowhere, attack their target than vanish. Then, while we were still responding to the first attack, they'd hit another target, hundreds of kilometres away. Even using a DropShip to make sub-orbital flights, we had no way of keeping up with them. At first, we assumed that there were simply more of them than we had been led to believe, but it soon became apparent that we were dealing with a single team, all be it one able to move around the planet seemingly at will. However, fortune favours the prepared mind, and a battlefield observation satellite we had placed in orbit detected fain traces of massive energy spike coming from a mountain range that contained a number of long abandoned mines. Each spike clearly synchronised with the attacks, but made no sense, as they seemed closer to the IR spike associated with a hyperspace jump.

Still, it was the only lead we had, so the Sho-sa split the team in two, leaving half to provide additional security to the Kanrei, while the other half followed him into the mines to investigate.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of mines, so we ended up fanning out and taking one each, with orders to avoid contact and report back any finds so a proper assault could be planned. Which is how I found myself slowly making my way deeper into an old bauxite mine. I know that someone crawling through air vents is somewhat clichéd, given how most actual air vents are far, far too small for a grown adult to squeeze into, but with a lot of mines, 'air vents' are actually secondary tunnels intended to act as emergency escape routs in an emergency, so I actually had plenty of room.

I was nearly at the point of giving and moving on to the next mine, when I heard the sound of distant voices, speaking with the unmistakable sound of Davion accents. I could not make out exactly what they were saying at first, but it guided me closer, until I was crouched below an open air-vent built into a blast-proof door.

"...in three hours." a clip voice, unmistakably military, carried from the other side, "Will it be ready by then?"

"Please, Captain, this is a delicate scientific experiment!" a second, softer voice complained, "It can not be expected to operate like... Like... Like some kind of bus!"

"Doctor Tywhite, the Federated Sun's has seen fit to fund your work, to provide you not only with this laboratory, but with my team to at as security. Don't you think that a little cooperation on your part isn't too much to ask? Especially as we're trying to defend this world from the bloody snakes?"

"My dear Captain, if I can prove that my prototype not only works, but is stable and reliable, we could deploy the entire First Davion Guards into the Coordinators throne room on Luthien, without them knowing any happened until after we had raised the Starburst over the Black Pearl once and for all! I am just as much a patriot as you are, Captain: I just use my head as something more than a blunt instrument."

I felt my blood run cold: there's nothing unusual about soldiers talking like that, I've said similar things about New Avalon and Tharkad enough times, but there was something about the certainty in his voice that shook me to my very core.

Moving as silently as possible, I lifted my head until I could just peek through the grill into the room beyond. It was very obvious that it was a makeshift lab, with equipment piled up on old shipping cases and hastily assembled tables. Power and fiberoptic cables snaked everywhere, connecting computers and equipment I had no idea the name or purpose of. But what grabbed my attention was what could only be described as a giant snowflake of pure energy, suspended in the air above a circle of equipment laid out in the middle of the chamber. It seemed to be made up of thousands and thousands of rotating shards, each one a fractal that had smaller and smaller versions of itself along every edge. It glimmered and glowed as it shifted, almost like sunlight on spilt oil, filling the room with an ever changing riot of colour and shadow.

As I watched, mesmerised, two figures in combat gear stepped through, pulling off their masks to reveal a pair of Kyōkenbyō no inu, coming to attention before who I assumed was the Captain.

"Mission accomplished sir." one of the two spoke with a wide grin, "Dracks won't know what hit them, next time they go to use that bridge."

"Outstanding work. Truly outstanding." the officer returned the salute, "Go get some rack time..."

He turned to say something to the timed looking man in a dishevelled looking lab coat, when something rolled out of the vortex. Everyone turned to dive for cover, but then it... It didn't explode, but rather emitted a high pitched noise that seemed to go right through me. I suddenly found myself unable to move, not even blink, yet still fully conscious and aware of everything going on around me.

What came through the portal next... they had the form of men, but they were more metal than flesh. One had the entire left side of its body replaced, with two grasping claws where his hand should have been. He examined the room, his remaining human eye cold and unfeeling as he almost casually lifted one of the Rabid Foxes and placed their frozen form against the far wall. Next came what may have once been a woman, although her entire body seemed to be covered in what looked like liquid metal, she walked up to one of the computers, the fingers on her right hand turning into cables that snaked out until they found open ports.

The third, looked more human, but if anything, that made him somehow more intimidating. The right side of his face bore the mark of extensive reconstructive surgery, his left hand covered in what looked to be part of a deep purple body suit that covered him from the neck down, overwhich he wore a long brown coat, the shoulder of which bore a strange insignia: Sigma over the symbol for infinity. Upon his face he wore a pair of glasses with deep red lenses, completely hiding his eyes, yet I couldn't shake the feeling that he was looking right at me.

"Game faces, everyone: we're dangerously close to collapsing the quantum wavefront as it is, and I for one would rather not have to sit through another of the Bosses little three hour lectures on cognitive causality." he spoke with a combination of authority and mirth, "She still hasn't forgiven Apollyon for that time he got drunk and decided to go back and kill Stefan Amaris as a child. Took her decades, subjective, to iron out all those ripples and get history back on track."

Two more figures appeared, quickly collecting pieces of equipment and carrying it back through the portal.

"My dear Dr Tywhite, it is a true honor to meet you." the leader walked over to the frozen scientist and offered his hand, only to suddenly shake his head, "Sorry: force of habit. But don't worry about the paralysis, it's only temporary. Another hour or so and you'll be back to normal." be stepped back to examine the lab in its entirety, "It is quite impressive, that you came so far with so little. But, unfortunately, humanity isn't ready for your work. Not yet. We... the group we represent, well, we've run the simulations, and if your work was to get out, there's a 98.7% of a war more deviating than the First Succession War breaking out within two years. It's just too much of a game changer, it leaves the other Houses no choice but to attack with everything they have before we... No, that's the old me talking, before you can stop them." He walked up to the scientist and placed a hand upon his shoulder. "Now I have some good news and some bad news. Good news is, that future isn't going to come to pass. Bad news is, that's because it turns out that there is a microscopic manufacturing error in one of the power cells you used, and it's going to explode in... Well, about two minutes from now, utterly destroying your lab and, I'm afraid, everyone in it."

I felt a sudden sense of relief that this terrifying new technology would no longer be used against the Combine, but also saddened that I would not be able to report what I had found.

"But, the lady who runs our little operation has decided that, as history says you die today, there's nothing wrong with us coming back, and, well, I hate to be blunt, but forcibly recruiting you." he gave a faint smile at that, "Oh, don't worry too much, Doctor. I actually think you'll enjoy working with us. Most of our equipment is based upon your notes: it took decades to find anyone smart enough to make sense of them, but the Master has always been good at finding the right person for the job, and the Boss is, without a doubt, the smartest person I've ever met. I think you'll... I won't say like, because she's a hard-nosed bitch, but I think you'll understand what she says a lot more often than the rest of us." with that, he lifted the scientist up and over his shoulder like he was a duffle bag, "Oh, and you can call me Lucifer. I know, I know, but we don't get to chose our own names when we're reborn.

He started to head back towards the portal, when the creature that was half metal stopped and gestured toward the door I was hiding behind with its remaining human arm.

"What about that one?" it asked with a deep, rumbling voice.

"The survivor?" the man who called himself Lucifer turned his head to an unnatural degree to look right at me, "Someone needs to report what happened here, otherwise the Boss will never look at our new friend here's notes."

They stepped through the portal, and moments later, the power cell exploded, and that was the last thing I ever saw.

I woke days later, strapped down to a hospital bed in a Davion military base: the raid had been successfully, and the Kanrei had ordered the withdrawal. Unfortunately, my team mates had been unable to reach me before the local security forces had arrived in numbers too great to risk direct contact with, so I was left behind. I do not fault them, as I am but a tool to be used, and discarded, as needed. It did mean, however, that I spent days being questioned by my captors about what had happened in the lab: they assumed that I had been responsible for the explosion, and my telling them the truth only confused them even more.

They did confirm, however, that the damage done to my eyes was permanent, that I was blind, and would never see again.

Eventually, a man came to see me. He offered no name or rank, but I could tell that he terrified the guards and doctors simply by his presence. He asked a few questions, listened to what I had to say, then ordered that I be turned over to ComStar, who were handling the repatriation of the more seriously injured prisoners. I guess they decided that nobody would have use for a blind Commando.

Well, that was then, and this is now. You may call me...Ulysses.

The End
« Last Edit: 13 August 2020, 19:12:06 by JA Baker »

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #311 on: 13 August 2020, 09:19:29 »
wth  :o
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #312 on: 13 August 2020, 13:31:49 »

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #313 on: 13 August 2020, 14:25:04 »
Master and his inner circle are guardians of time?

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #314 on: 13 August 2020, 15:11:24 »
Master and his inner circle are guardians of time?
That would seem to be the implication...

ChaserGrey

• Private
« Reply #315 on: 13 August 2020, 16:11:11 »
F’ing awesome.  Boss needs to be Sarah McEvedy.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #316 on: 13 August 2020, 21:26:17 »
great so WOB have a time police unit?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sharpnel

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #317 on: 14 August 2020, 01:33:59 »
It's not WoB, it's the ... TOG!
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, VND-1R Vindicator 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #318 on: 14 August 2020, 08:07:40 »
It's not WoB, it's the ... TOG!
Okay, you're going to have to explain TOG to me

georgiaboy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #319 on: 14 August 2020, 08:27:25 »
Several different games/books.

The one I remember and associate TOG with is

Terran Overlord Government

of FASA's Centurion game universe.
-Me

- Socrates

Sharpnel

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #320 on: 14 August 2020, 12:53:31 »
Several different games/books.

The one I remember and associate TOG with is

Terran Overlord Government

of FASA's Centurion game universe.

You are correct! Here's your cookie. White Chocolate Chip Macadamia, of course.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Who Goes There?
« Reply #321 on: 14 August 2020, 14:52:25 »
And now I deliberately fly directly in the face of Canon, something I have tried to avoid, but it's too good an idea to pass up

Jonah

Oh, a visitor?

Forgive me; it's been... well, a long, long time since I last saw someone who wasn't a guard. They keep me in solitary confinement, you see? Most I usually see are a couple of guards when they take me to the yard for exercise, or come in and rip my cell apart, "looking for contraband", or so they claim.

Why don't I believe them? Lady, this prison doesn't officially exist. It's built on an airless rock in an uninhabited system that's only visited by military traffic. This is the deepest of deep holes, somewhere where the squeaky clean Republic of the Sphere can keep all the prisoners it doesn't want to admit it has. The inmates here are here because we're too dangerous, one way or another, to have in even a regular prison, and too potentially useful to just kill.

Me, for example: former assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations for the Word of Blake.

Oh, I was completely loyal to the Order and its stated goals, but I'm also a realist, which is why I was taken alive. And why I've never told the nice people with the electrodes and the buckets of water everything I know.

Yeah, they torture us here: we're all legally dead, held in a prison that doesn't exist, so they can do what they damn well please.

So, what brings you all the way here from Terra?

Project Jonah? Well, I figured it was only matter of time before someone came asking about that. And no, you won't need to call in the guards with the rubber sticks to "encourage" me to talk. It's actually an interesting story to tell.

I don't know who first came up with the idea, but I do know that they'd been planning something similar for a long, long time. Like, based on some of the files I saw, before the Clan invasion. No, I have no idea how they knew about it, but apparently someone in pre-schism ComStar had an inkling. But the original plans were more... traditional, shall we say? Go in, take control of the ship, and use it as a massive kinetic impactor, take out the capital. No, it wasn't until we started reactivating the old yardships that the plans crystallised into Project Jonah: to go in and steal the Prinz Eugen from right under the nose of the Clans.

What? Yes, I know what the history books say, but I also know that history is written by the victors, and the last thing they want is to admit that someone waltzed into the supposedly most secure system in Clan space, pulled their collective pants down, and committed an act of Grand Theft Battleship. I don't know where they got another Texas from, but the one the Cloud Cobras destroyed over Tanis was not the Prinz Eugen.

Anyway...to call it audacious would be an understatement. You don't just walk in and take 1.5-million tons of Battleship, not even one that's been converted into a prison. And that's leaving aside the fact that no yardship built could supposedly jump while holding something that size. But, well, someone did some maths, and a stripped-down hulk of a Newgrange, the SLS Medway, was selected for the mission. And no, she never appeared in any lists of our ships: this was completely off-the-books, blackest of the black-ops planning. I only know because they needed the CNO to provide Pocket Warships for escorts and marines for the boarding action.

I wasn't on a mission: I was staff, not operations, but I did get to see the mission reports, including hull camera footage from the ships that took part.

I have no idea where they found the navigator for the mission, because they were either certifiable insane or a genius. They jumped the Medway through a temporary null point only twenty meters wider than the ship was long, caused by the interactions of Strana Mechty, its two moons and the systems primary, a pointed that only lasted for thirty seconds. Must have surprised the crap out of the defence staff, because it took them longer than anticipated to even get the alert fighters in the air. And that's another thing: they had no standing CAP, over their CAPITAL, where most of their leaders were assembled. I've heard of pride going before a fall, but we could have taken out pretty much every Khan and saKhan still in the Kerensky Cluster with just a single strike, and there would have been nothing they could do but bend over, stick their heads between their legs and kiss their arses goodbye.

Well, while they were still running around like headless chickens, the Medway deployed her DropShips and fighters, and started burning hard for the Prinz Eugen.

Oh, I would have loved to have seen the look on their faces when that big bastard came bearing down on them, the repair bay opening up like the mouth of some giant sea monster. And yeah, that's where the mission got its name, if you hadn't already guessed. Fighters staffed the Prinz Eugen, disabling the few weapons it had left, then left to help the pocket warships dead with the fights and DropShips that were finally responding. We'd expected to find at least one other warship in orbit, but aside from the McKenna's Pride, nothing.

Again: worst rear-echelon security EVER.

Couple of people had championed trying to board and steal the Pride as well, or, at least, putting half a dozen nukes into it as the Medway passed, but the CNO vetoed it. Said there's sticking you head into the tigers cage, and then there's kicking him in the balls while you do it. I think he had a point.

I don't know exactly how they did it: you're not supposed to try and dock any ship with a yardship while one of them is pulling 1.5G's of acceleration. Certainly took a helmsman with balls the size of Mamoths, but somehow they just scooped the Eugen up without even chipping the paint. Old girl must have rung like a bell, but they were able to secure the hatch and connect the umbilicals while moving towards the second pirate point.

And that's how I know that the navigator was bat-shit insane, or blessed by God, because they plotted a jump in a moving ship, something that has never, to the best of my knowledge, ever been done before. Fighters and Droppers performed combat redockings with seconds on the clock, even as the marines were cutting their way into the Prinz Eugen. And then, just like that, they were gone. Less than an hour in system, beginning to end. Pure lunacy, and that's why it worked.

But that... that's where my knowledge of the mission ends. I know that the pocket warships and marines were returned, and they confirmed that the Prinz Eugen was taken relatively intact, but we certainly never saw her or the Medway ever again. Caused a lot of arguments among the brass, but whoever it was that was behind the mission, they had enough pull that word came down from the very top, from the Master himself, to let it drop.

So yeah, that was the end of Project Jonah: we got some exciting footage and an insight into just what's possible with a pirate point, and someone else got themselves a free Texas and a yardship, courtesy of the Word of Blake.

The End
« Last Edit: 14 August 2020, 18:27:54 by JA Baker »

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #322 on: 14 August 2020, 15:10:26 »
The same people who hold the Cameron trust fund?

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #323 on: 14 August 2020, 15:11:44 »
Duh, Belters, obviously.

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

JA Baker

• Lieutenant
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #324 on: 14 August 2020, 15:14:36 »
The same people who hold the Cameron trust fund?
Possibly...
Duh, Belters, obviously.
You know anyone else that crazy?

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #325 on: 14 August 2020, 15:15:43 »
Possibly...You know anyone else that crazy?

Kowloon Coast Guard. 30 second window sounds like pretty standard for them.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

ChaserGrey

• Private
« Reply #326 on: 14 August 2020, 15:16:32 »
Really interesting. And like the man said, balls the size of a Colossus.  But what I can't figure out is why. If you have a navigator who can put you into a virtually-nonexistent pirate point and then take you out while under thrust near Strana Mechty, why are you using it to steal a hulked battleship instead of decapitating every Clan at once by nuking Katyusha?

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #327 on: 14 August 2020, 15:18:17 »
Really interesting. And like the man said, balls the size of a Colossus.  But what I can't figure out is why. If you have a navigator who can put you into a virtually-nonexistent pirate point and then take you out while under thrust near Strana Mechty, why are you using it to steal a hulked battleship instead of decapitating every Clan at once by nuking Katyusha?

Because Grand Theft isn't Mass Murder.  You have to kind of put yourself in the mind of the most likely suspects-most of whom would have a hard time dealing with the moral implications of actually committing genocide.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #328 on: 14 August 2020, 15:19:54 »
Because Grand Theft isn't Mass Murder.  You have to kind of put yourself in the mind of the most likely suspects-most of whom would have a hard time dealing with the moral implications of actually committing genocide.

Any suspect would be cooperating with the Word of Blake, though. That sort of limits my expectations for their willingness to consider moral implications.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

ChaserGrey

• Private
« Reply #329 on: 14 August 2020, 15:20:10 »

Yeah, but...this guy said he worked for Word of Blake and got orders from the Master. Wasn't the entire point of the Manei Dominei to genocide the Clans?  Or are we looking at distinctions between the MD and regular WoB?

EDIT: And as for the incredibly, impossibly accurate navigator, well...let's reach back a few chapters. Maybe that's the kind of thing you can do when you're listening to the Choir.  ;D
« Last Edit: 14 August 2020, 15:26:24 by ChaserGrey »

Register