Register Register

Author Topic: Inner Sphere version of a Nova  (Read 1052 times)

Charistoph

• Captain
Inner Sphere version of a Nova
« on: 06 June 2022, 15:44:01 »
So by the ilClan era, everyone has experience with the Nova formation of the Clans.  I may be missing some information, but I haven't seen the Inner Sphere version of this concept in play.

Am I missing it, is this a design space that the Inner Sphere should explore, or will the Inner Sphere stick stubbornly to their current formation set ups?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

MyndkryM

• Master Sergeant
Re: Inner Sphere version of a Nova
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2022, 15:45:31 »
The IS version are called Mechanized Formations. There are rules for them in CO and AS:CE.
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2022, 16:13:01 »
The Augmented Lance is the closest to a Nova formation. The trick is that the IS doesn't use many omnis (except the word of Blake Shadow Division) so most battle armor travels with hover tanks, urban combat vehicles, or onboard vtols. These vehicles just carry them inside as recon and AP assets mostly

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2022, 16:25:02 »
The Word of Blake had the Choir, which was a Level II of six OmniMechs partnered with a Level II of six Battle Armour squads
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2022, 16:48:17 »
The Augmented Lance is the closest to a Nova formation. The trick is that the IS doesn't use many omnis (except the word of Blake Shadow Division) so most battle armor travels with hover tanks, urban combat vehicles, or onboard vtols. These vehicles just carry them inside as recon and AP assets mostly

Augmented Lance is good, they train together . . . the rest do not compare.  While it is hard to quantify in game, a Nova- in combat effectiveness- is more than a Star of Mechs and a Star of BA because they train specifically with each other rather than the individual stars that check the box for mechanized ops training in whatever regular cycle they are evaluated.

While the Inner Sphere does not have as many Omnis, they do field MagClamp suits.  I am trying to remember if the latest Zeta has a lance of Omnis in each company for their incorporated BA to ride.  If we have actual Mech or Veh & BA combined lances then it is more than likely a company buried in a FM somewhere and not from a unit that regularly appears.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

MyndkryM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2022, 17:04:35 »
Spotlight On: Manyfolds Path features the 3151 White Lions Company which contains a Mechanized Lance.

But during the ilClan era aren't the Houses (like FedSuns) forces mostly LCTs equivalents, and thus more reliant on BA and their transport? TRO 3145's Cardinal VTOL notable units entry also appears to be an example of IS utilizing mechanized units.
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Register